Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Loki Update

Loki

It's been a while since I have posted; I think of the helpful people on this site often.  You all made the difference in our lives in your suggestions on how to navigate EPI and get Loki to a healthy place.  He is healthy and beautiful!  

Last summer he was painfully thin and we could not get him to eat for nothing, we were following all of the vets suggestions and nothing. I was heartbroken and he was miserable.  He refused to eat any of the food the vet recommended (prescription, senstive stomach, etc.)  I found this site and followed the grain free / low fiber food recommendations, the medication advice (spoke to the vet about adding Tylan, began B-12 tablets), feeding him off a plate (that made a huge difference), and he started eating, slowly but surely.  He is now at 86 and he looks great and acts like he feels even better!  He makes me smile very time I look at him.

An interesting tidbit that we noticed - it took him several month to get to 80 pounds, which was the vet's goal for him.  He was still lean but his ribs were no longer visible.  He would eat most of his food, but would usually leave some behind, so he leveled out at 80 pounds.  Then, last November, we had him neutured.  I was so scared that would throw him off his chow because he's such a picky eater anyway, but he seemed to come out of that surgery 2 years hungry.  The very next day he started eating everything I gave him and has been a changed dog since.  He gained 6 more pounds in record time.  The vet says that is just coincindence, his appetite after neuturing, and maybe it is, but I'll take it!

I think we have finally arrived in the "chunky monkey club"! Yay!! 

Again, many thanks! 

Jennifer

--

Tylan, 1/4 tsp twice a day.

Takes 4 crushed Panakare tablets twice per day with his food. 

Takes 1 Wonderlabs at night.

Eats Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato kibble with Merrick Back Country Grain Free canned mixed in. Proud and Thankful Member of the Chunky Monkey Club!

March 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Riley's Mom
Administrator

Aww Jennifer, I am so glad to read your post. I remember well when you were struggling, and I am so glad you got some good information from this site that was helpful.

It's so good for new members to read posts like yours to give them hope. 

--

Elisabeth

Riley's Mom from Chesapeake, VA

Riley, 8 yr old Labradoodle diagnosed September 2014 cTLI 1.6

Weight before diagnosis 40 lbs, lowest weight 33 lbs, ready for the Chunky Monkey club as she weighed in at a whopping 42 pounds on 12/19/14!

Update: as of 2/25/15 Riley weighs in at 44.2 pounds!

Update: as of 6/15/15 Riley weighs in at 45 pounds!

Feeding grain free kibble TOTW, 1 tsp of Diane's 6x enzymes per cup of food. (I mix the enzymes in something moist). She is a picky eater--lately feeding her on a flat plate is the way to entice her to eat. 1 cup in the am, 2 cups in the pm, 1 tsp of coconut oil per meal, 1 packet of FortiFlora probiotic in the pm meal.

Began weekly B12 shots 10/23/14. Holding on shots for now.

Began 1 Wonderlabs B12 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Capsule opened up and sprinkled on her food.

*I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is solely from my experience as an EPI dog owner. It is recommended that anything shared or suggested on this forum be discussed with your pet's vet.*

March 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator
What a wonderful update!! Congratulations on the chunky monkey 🐒. I'm so glad to see Loki is happy, healthy and stable. Give yourself a big pat on the back for being such a great mom! Madelon
--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 16, 2017 at 3:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Jennifer,

This is fantastic news! As Madelon said, it helps new folks hear it can be done!

My EPI girl was a terrible eater, so I feel your pain, but it's truly a phenomena when they decide, food is good and become a chunkey monkey! I remember the ear to ear grin I had on my face when my vet suggested her first "diet"! And she had many...

Donna

March 16, 2017 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Buttermom
Administrator

What fantastic news!!!  We welcome one and all chunky monkey members!!!!  Good job!!!!

Susan

--

"I am I because my little dog knows me."   Gertrude Stein

Butterbean, Chihuahua born on 06-27-2004, diagnosed in May-June of 2010 via pancreatic biopsy. TLI score of 0.7. Feeding Natural Balance LID Potato and Duck. 1/4 cup with 1/4 tsp of enzymes, twice a day.  She gets a B12 shot every 10 days, and a Wonderlab's capsule every other day.  She gets a maintenance dose of Cosequin every other day. Butter gets 1/4tsp of coconut oil, and a 1/2tsp of Platinum Plus CJ every day. Our new regimen now includes 1mg of prednisone every day, 1/4 tablet (50 mg) of trazodone twice a day, 0.3 ml of omeprazole every day, 1/16th tsp of lactobacillus acidophilus every 3 days, and 500mg of wild salmon oil every other day. 

We lost Butter on the 24th of April, 2017 to cognitive brain disease.  

March 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

Congratulations, Jennifer, to you and Loki.  This is one heartwarming update.   There is nothing like seeing our pups "lick the platter clean" and  enjoy it.  Kolby acted a lot like Loki for quite a while.   He wasn't that interested in eating and would leave little piles of food on the plate.  When we finally got the B12 dose right.....after different combinations of injections and pills, we tried Wonderlabs Trinfac-B twice a day instead of once and that was the magic formula for him.   Finding the right combinations for our pups is always the tricky part.....although neutering/surgery is a pretty drastic measure - LOL!  I laughed at your description that he seemed to come out of that surgery two years hungry.   

So glad he is doing well.   I can feel your joy.

Barb

--

March 16, 2017 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator

Hi Jennifer and thank you for updating and yes its good for new comers to see a positive thread

i laughed at your two years hungry comment too, sometimes a male is stressed before neutering, so maybe he feels better , so upwards and onwards

jx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

March 17, 2017 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Jennifer, what great news!!!!!  And who would have thought that... very interesting..... wonder if it is more than a coincidence!   

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

March 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Oh.... BTW...if you want Loki to be uploaded officically into the Chunky Monkey Club... just write up his story and email me privately ([email protected]) with his story along with your favorite pictures... 

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

March 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.