Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Enzymes

Lucky Boy

My current plan was working and my dog was having pretty solid form poops for weeks now. I received Diane's enzymes last week and started using them last Thursday evening instead of the pharma grade brand. I didn't think I needed to gradually switch over so I just started using 100% of her enzyme in one meal. Same dosage. I've noticed they are a lot softer now. The only thing else I've changed is yesterday I started giving him 3 cups twice a day instead of 2, trying to see if he will gain a few pounds. I also up'd the medication accordingly. 2.5 tsp (12 ml) per 2 cups, 18 ml with 3 cups. So I can't see that being an issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Don't worry about it, as it should get back to normal as it will take time for the stomach to adjust to the new meds? I wouldn't think it would matter what meds you are using.

It is so hard not to stress out when going through this process, trying to find something that works and when you do, then all of a sudden it turns sour again. It isn't like we have had this down for months and months for me to know exactly what is causing it. I would say it's been a month now where he has been doing great since this all started some time before Thanksgiving.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Curtis

March 20, 2017 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Buttermom
Administrator

Hey Curtis....  Couple of things. First, the ratio is still the same if you got the 6x enzymes from Diane. Start out with one tsp to one cup. Second, try feeding smaller, more frequent meals. Sometimes when you. Ump up the amount of food per meal, it's a bit much for the system. Especially in the beginning. If you've been feeding two cups, twice a day, just add another meal with two cups to get the desired amount per day. 

Susan

--

"I am I because my little dog knows me."   Gertrude Stein

Butterbean, Chihuahua born on 06-27-2004, diagnosed in May-June of 2010 via pancreatic biopsy. TLI score of 0.7. Feeding Natural Balance LID Potato and Duck. 1/4 cup with 1/4 tsp of enzymes, twice a day.  She gets a B12 shot every 10 days, and a Wonderlab's capsule every other day.  She gets a maintenance dose of Cosequin every other day. Butter gets 1/4tsp of coconut oil, and a 1/2tsp of Platinum Plus CJ every day. Our new regimen now includes 1mg of prednisone every day, 1/4 tablet (50 mg) of trazodone twice a day, 0.3 ml of omeprazole every day, 1/16th tsp of lactobacillus acidophilus every 3 days, and 500mg of wild salmon oil every other day. 

March 20, 2017 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lucky Boy

Thanks Susan!! So it sounds it may just be because of that? Yes, I did get 6x, but we have been giving him a tad more than 1 tsp per cup, is that ok? I thought more is always better, until you get it under control and slowly reduce if it stays stable. I am also giving him Tylan and have been for at least several months now as we were trying to get him under control. I haven't stopped it yet as I wanted to switch him over to Diane's first, test that and once we are great for a while, then take him off Tylan and see what happens. I know if you do more than one thing at once, you don't know what is working and not.

Would most people agree that is really matters how much water you add with the food and how long it sits? I haven't been measuring it and time wise, 10-15 mins. I didn't think those two would have to be so precise. I've been doing warm water though and timming wise, I hate making him wait as he gets so excited and anxious, almost like it stresses him out as he knows it's dinner time, the second you fix it up.

March 20, 2017 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lucky Boy

By the way, I have left overs of that pharma brand meds. Once he's stable for a nice long while, see any problem substituting some with it until it is gone vs just throwing it away?

March 20, 2017 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lucky Boy

We have been giving him CANIDAE All Life Stages Platinum Dog Food. I didn't think it was a good idea to change food to something else until we get him stable to know what is/isn't working. Another site says most dogs can't handle foods with grains. Am I fighting an uphill battle with this particular food and I should change asap? Mfg direct link to look at ingredients: http://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products/canidae-all-life-stages-platinum-dry-formula

March 20, 2017 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator
Hi Curtis. Unfortunately with EPI your pup won't get stable until you have everything in balance - the four cornerstones that is - enzymes, B12, antibiotics and food. Also until those are in balance while you think your dog is stable SID can pop up at any time. When first diagnosed we recommend to change everything at once - so if I were you I would get started on the B12 and switch to grain free food with 4% fiber or less. Madelon
--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator

the advice is always to change one thing at a time

the food id not one we would recommend, a lot of our dogs

1/ cannot tolerate chicken or poultry fat

2/ cannot tolerate grain, which includes rice

this food has both in abundance

Chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey meal, lamb meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, psyllium seed husks, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid), minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite), papaya, pineapple.

We preserve this food naturally using mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E. CANIDAE Platinum® Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages

therefore enzyme all food to 1 level teaspoon per cup of food

and remember

FOOD IN ENZYME IN

Keep a diary on everything you do

Jean UK Admin

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

our favourite man Uncle Ian

March 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator
I forgot to answer your questions about enzyme dosage - too much is as bad as too little - loose poop. You should really go back to basics and start with 1tsp per cup of kibble - switch the food as discussed in the other thread and start B12 supplementing.
--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.