Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > I'm upset and need to vent!

Dizzy's Mom

My husband and I took a little trip over the weekend and had to board Dizzy for 48 hours. I dehydrated the enzymes on the dogfood and left it with her vet. The vet has been treating her for 2 years now and Dizzy has been boarded with them before with no problems. This was not the case this time. When we picked her up and they gave me her dogfood back it was fuller than I thought it should be. As soon as Dizzy got in the back yard she had a yellow cow patty poop. I thought well she was just stressed, but a few minutes later the explosive diarrhea started. She went to the bathroom eight times. By now I have figured out she was fed the wrong food. I called them and they said she was given food for sensitive stomach, not my food I brought them. To say I was angry would be an understatement. I gave the vet tech a good lesson on EPI again, which they assured me they knew about when I started using them. The vet wanted me to bring her back up there and I said no, I'll take care of her. I made up an enzyme meal and gave her tylan. Dizzy didn't have anymore diarrhea in the night, but at 5am she started throwing up, so I got her outside and she did have a poop it was half formed and half cow patty. Dizzy's stomach is grumbling so loud now. I know it will have to run it's course, and I'm just in shock that I can't trust my own vet. I literally couldn't stop crying yesterday watching Dizzy run all over the yard having diarrhea. Dizzy had 4 meals without enzymes, I just hope the bacteria hasn't set up too bad yet in her gut.

I just needed to vent to people I know would understand why I'm so upset. I won't be taking Dizzy back there. We are going to have to go back to the more expensive vet we used for years.

Dizzy is a trooper though, I can tell she doesn't feel good but she still carried her ball around last night. I gave her lots of belly rubs last night. She has slept most of the morning. She'll be back to her old self in a few days. Well matter of fact, she just jumped up barking at the mail carrier, so maybe she's almost through this ordeal.

--

Stacie, Dizzy's Mom

Lake City, Arkansas

Dizzy was born 2/28/2010. Dx on 12/24/2011. Lowest weight 55lbs. Today she is 95 pounds.

4 cups TOTW with 6x pancreatin 1tsp per cup

B12 w/intrinsic twice a day.

Probiotic once a day

Pepcid once a day

Slippery Elm powder 1/2 tsp twice a day in meals

Cyclosporine Ophthalmic  twice a day for eyes (Pannus)

April 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
Oh Stacie! That is inexcusable. Poor Dizzy. To entrust her to the very ones who are supposed to be managing her condition only to have them do this is just wrong. Good job schooling them again on EPI. I too hope SID did not have long enough to get tbe upper hand. Give her a belly rub from me. Vent away!
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

April 11, 2017 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator
Oh Stacie - I can't believe the vet gave a completely different food than what you brought them!! I can only imagine how angry you were at them and how sad for Dizzie!! If I were you I would be demanding at least half my money back!! Poor sweet bably girl - hopefully she'll be feeling better soon! Give her a kiss from me and Doc Madelon
--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

April 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Bin

Oh that is awful!  I would write the vet a letter and let him/her know why you are upset and leaving.  That is inexcusable.  In Dizzy's case it is hopefully no more than upset stomach and diarrhea for a bit and fingers crossed you are well on the way to full recuperation.  That next dog may have something even more serious go wrong if the vet's office screws up food or other instructions from the owner.  It would be horrible if this happened at a boarding kennel...but at the vet's office?  Someone was truly lazy and clueless.

--

Terry

Mom of three EPI Shiloh Shepherds: 

Pharaoh born Nov. 2007 and dx with epi December 2009.   Pharaoh weighed 62.4 lbs. (15 lb. weight loss) when diagnosed in 12/2009.

Weight 10/31/11 was 76.6; 85lbs on 9/22/12; 85.5 lbs. on 11/13/14.

Received six weeks of B12 shots Jan-Feb 2010 but his B12 on 8/10/2010 was only 232. So started weekly shots at home, which we continue to give. 

His older half sister is Taiko born Sept. 2006  and was dx with epi June 2010.  Since she has severe bilateral hip dysplasia she had always been on the thin side.  Taiko's weight was 70.7 lbs. in June 2010 (time of diagnosis; about a 10 lb. weight loss).

Weight on 10/31/11 was 80.4 and on 9/22/12 was 82.4 lbs.  Weight 11/13/14 was 83 lbs.  B12 was 211 in June 2010 so started six weeks of shots and was only 293 on 8/10/10.  She receives B12 shots weekly at home.  B12 in September 2014 was over 1,000.

Both are fed twice a day and we use Merrick BG brand: 1 1/2  cups kibble in the morning with 1/2 can dog food with 4 crushed tablets and in the evening 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups kibble with 1/2 can dog food  with 4 crushed tablets. 

Moku was born 4/15/14 does not have epi.  His grandfather is Taiko's and Pharaoh's father (through his mother).  On 11/05/14 his weight was 78 lbs, on 12/11/14 he was 85.7 and on his first birthday 15 April 2015: 90.2 lbs.

April 11, 2017 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dizzy's Mom

Dizzy seems to be recovering pretty fast. She just had her second poop of the day and it was completely formed. It was light brown with some yellow mixed in. She was trying to eat it, so I know there is undigested food in it. I'm going to have to be with her for the next few days to keep her from eating it. Back in the day this was a constant problem that I dealt with. I hate to see her trying to do that again.

She just ran all over the back yard barking at UPS, so she's feeling pretty good. I'm going to do the tylan until all the yellow is gone from her poop.

I knew you guys would understand my frustration. The only reason I didn't completely freak out on them is because I still need the eye drops I get from them for Dizzy's pannus. The old vet stopped selling the drops and went to an ointment for $60 a small tube. I can get the eye drops for $28 and it lasts for months. I live in small town USA, so there's not a lot of vets to choose from around here. Dizzy's eyes had white stuff coming out of them, so I could tell they didn't even put her eye drops in either. I think they just took her bag put it away and didn't even look in it. I could tell her toy hadn't been played with either. Oh I'm getting mad all over again. Anyway I think she's recovering pretty good. Glad we weren't gone any longer that two days.

--

Stacie, Dizzy's Mom

Lake City, Arkansas

Dizzy was born 2/28/2010. Dx on 12/24/2011. Lowest weight 55lbs. Today she is 95 pounds.

Probiotic once a day

Pepcid once a day

April 11, 2017 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

They didn't give her eye drops either??  OMG!!  Well maybe you can take her there just for her mess but board her at the other place next time.  Hugs to both!

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

April 11, 2017 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb

Poor Dizzy. That's an absolute disgrace. Hopefully 7-14 days of tylan will avert any real problems. Is there anyway you can get a script from your old vet and buy the eye drops on line somewhere? Hugs to Dizzy.

Deb

April 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shirl

Poor Dizzy!  Poor you!!  You've worked so hard to get her in such good shape.  Ugh.  You would think they would get better care at their vet's office than a kennel somewhere.  I agree with you...it's good you were only gone for 2 days.  I also agree with Madelon that I would be telling them that they owe me money back since they didn't uphold their end of the bargain.  So  sorry you're dealing with this, and I'm glad to hear she seems to be feeling better already!

--

Mom to Pixie, 11 year old sheltie,inherited from my mother-in-law 3/11.  Dx of EPI 9/09.  TLI in 10/09 was 0.4 ug/L.  As of 12/2/11, Folate fasting levels was 13.6 ug/L, and Cobalamin fasting was 615.   Current weight 20.2 lbs (7/15), solid member of the Chunky Monkey Club!  Feeding Canidae Grain-Free PURE Elements Lamb, Turkey & Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food, and Forza 10 Legend Digestion kibble.  We had to increase her dose of Pancreatin last year when she was 10. Tylan 1x/day maintenance dose.  Also takes 1/2 tablet pepcid for stomach upset 2x/day.   Getting bi-weekly B-12 shots.  Our little pack also includes my husband, our 13 year old sheltie, Einstein, and 3 year old sheltie, Zoey. 

April 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Poor Dizzy.  Glad she is on her way to recovery.   I can very well understand your anger.  I left a dog of mine years ago at vets office that looked wonderful just to come back to a dog with a 105 fever and couldn't barely walk.  Won't go into the rest. 

Please never, never should they be trusted with your dog. If they messed up so bad as they did. I would say once is enough. 

There have been a number of vets in my area that I had consultations with and each one said they new about EPI and getting a little into the conversation showed me they were just blowing their horn and didn't really know much of anything. So goodbye to them.     

As Deb suggested maybe you can get the drops on line. That would be great for you. No more ties to this vet.  

April 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Poor Dizzy.  Glad she is on her way to recovery.   I can very well understand your anger.  I left a dog of mine years ago at vets office that looked wonderful just to come back to a dog with a 105 fever and couldn't barely walk.  Won't go into the rest. 

Please never, never should they be trusted with your dog. If they messed up so bad as they did. I would say once is enough. 

There have been a number of vets in my area that I had consultations with and each one said they new about EPI and getting a little into the conversation showed me they were just blowing their horn and didn't really know much of anything. So goodbye to them.     

As Deb suggested maybe you can get the drops on line. That would be great for you. No more ties to this vet.  

April 11, 2017 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Oh Staci... that is justseriously negligent!!!!  i'd be fuming mad.... Poor Dizzy...glad that she is already showing signs (better poo) of getting better... but still... this should NOT have happened........ 

hugs!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

April 12, 2017 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Buttermom
Administrator

Wow Stacie..... I'm so glad that Dizzy is starting to return to herself. I would definitely call the clinic to complain to your vet. It might be a staff issue and they need to know what's going on. I know my vet has boarding staff, some of which don't cross over into the vet clinic staff. They may honestly have no idea what has happened....

Susan

--

"I am I because my little dog knows me."   Gertrude Stein

Butterbean, Chihuahua born on 06-27-2004, diagnosed in May-June of 2010 via pancreatic biopsy. TLI score of 0.7. Feeding Natural Balance LID Potato and Duck. 1/4 cup with 1/4 tsp of enzymes, twice a day.  She gets a B12 shot every 10 days, and a Wonderlab's capsule every other day.  She gets a maintenance dose of Cosequin every other day. Butter gets 1/4tsp of coconut oil, and a 1/2tsp of Platinum Plus CJ every day. Our new regimen now includes 1mg of prednisone every day, 1/4 tablet (50 mg) of trazodone twice a day, 0.3 ml of omeprazole every day, 1/16th tsp of lactobacillus acidophilus every 3 days, and 500mg of wild salmon oil every other day. 

We lost Butter on the 24th of April, 2017 to cognitive brain disease.  

April 12, 2017 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

Oh, Stacie, vent away.   I am so sorry this happened.  So frustrating.   Poor Dizzy.  Susan's insight is worth investigating.  I wouldn't have thought of it because our vet staff is so small, but it would be worth inquiring how your directives for feeding Dizzy could have been so completely ignored.  

I hope she is feeling better. 

Barb

--

April 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dar

Pooor Dizzy... It is very frustrating when this happens..and it shouldn't happen !! Glad things are headed in the right direction .

--

Dar and Kodi, From Washington state

' I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am !!'

Kodi (GSD female) , born August 19, 2010 , was diagnosed July 15, 2011 at 11 months .Lowest weight, 47 lbs, weight as of  4/27/2013  62.9 lbs. Our goal for her at this time is now 65 lbs. !!!   And she made it!! .  TLI .07 , Folate 9.4 , Cobalmin 536 .

Kodi is on Pioneer Naturals Whitefish or Venison , 2  cups kibble twice a day with  3/4 teaspoons of enzymes (X 8 ) per cup,from Diane. 1 Trinfac-B capsule once a day. Also 1/8 t. of ground coriander, 1/16 t. of ground fennel seed and cinnamon per meal (for stomach acid and burps). KOdi started having issues again with her feet.. I think it was the peas in the Acana foods..and her poo is good with the Pioneer Naturals too, she is not really happy about eating, but she is happier (or maybe I am to have solved the gnawing of the paws). So we will see how this works !

April 14, 2017 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dizzy's Mom

Thanks guys for your suggestions. As of right now I'm going to try and find the eye drops online. I did get a refill while I was there, so I should be good for a couple of months. As far as Dizzy she's doing great. I stopped the tylan today. Dizzy has only went to the bathroom twice today and they looked very good. My husband has said he will call the vet I just don't won't to deal with them anymore. Dizzygirl is back to her old self. 

--

Stacie, Dizzy's Mom

Lake City, Arkansas

Probiotic once a day

Pepcid once a day

April 14, 2017 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

So happy your dog is doing soooo much better.  Happy for you too.

April 14, 2017 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mackico

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Poor Dizzy. I hope you get things all sorted with the eye drops.

Something similar happened to me when I left Archie at the vet a few years ago because he had HGE and needed fluids and monitoring for the day. They fed him, no enzymes or anything. And he was already sick as a dog. And it wasn't even a food he could tolerate on a good day. The second ingredient was corn.

I've just never boarded him anywhere in years.

--

Sarah and Archie the German Shepherd from New Zealand, born 07/06/2008.

Diagnosed with EPI 14/09/2013 with a TLI of 0.7 at 32.7kg. Cobalamin was low at 125, folate was low at 10.9.

Started on CREON 25 2x with breakfast, and 2x with dinner. Fed Taste Of The Wild and Addiction kibbles, New Zealand brand SPCA, Wellness Core, Primal, Go! and NuTripe canned dog foods. Other medication: 3x Chemeyes B12 with Intrinsic Factor capsule in the mornings, 1x Omega 3/Chondroitin/Glucosamine supplement in the mornings, 1x Synovan injection every three months, Tylan daily

Also has severe bilateral osteoarthritis in both elbows/elbow dysplasia and hip dysplasia. He has bursas over both hocks that occasionally flare up and cause him pain as well. He also has contact grass allergies that primarily affect his paws

And Kobi the perfectly healthy Shiba/American Akita X

UPDATE: Archie's cobalamin was high normal at 646, his folate a completely normal 18.5 as of 21/12/2013.

UPDATE 2: As of 22/04/2015, Archie's cobalamin was 795 and folate 23. Had a bout of gastroenteritis, followed a month later by rapid onset haemorrhagic gastroenteritis requiring hospitalisation, and since then rumbly gut and stinky yellow poop. Started on Tylan 1/4 teaspoon 2 x per day. (Should be noted that there has been gastro going around our area lately. A lot of dogs ill.) Weight down to 32kgs.

UPDATE 3: As of 27/06/2015, Archie's tipping the scales at 36+kgs and because of his joints I'm starting to have to think about feeding him less!

UPDATE 4: 18/03/2016 Archie was getting too fat, so I cut back his food a while ago. I've leaned him off to a nice 34.5kg, and he's been steady there now for some time.

Archie and Kobi's Tumblr Page

April 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dizzy's Mom

Aww poor Archie! I wish I had a choice for boardin,g but I just don't have any friends or family that could take care of Dizzy. My brother would be the only person who could watch her, but he has 3 cats and Dizzy goes crazy when she sees a cat. He couldn't come over to my house because Dizzy is territorial and she barks at him, so I have to board her with strangers. I am confident in my old vet for her boarding, so that's where she will be going next time.

May 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Staci.... first ... i amTHRILLED to hear that Dizzy is back to feeling her normal self...  PHEW!

But regarding taking care of Ms. Dizzy while you are away..... when we moved 2 years ago, didnt' know a soul... but in getting a new vet for my pack, i asked the ofc staff (the ofc helps seems to always have more insight into this kind of stuff than the vet :)) who did they recommend for grooming, sitting, walking, etc...then i called each one and found a delightful young lady who comes to the house when we are away to feed ALL my pups, give them their meds, prepare home-made meals AND give Izzy her insulin shots... she does this twice a day (while we are away) AND she also pops by 1 to 2  more times during the day/night just to let them out for potty breaks...  she has turned out to be such a wonderful care-taker for my dogs....i don't think i'd ever want to board my pups again........

Maybe you can find a similar situation???

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

May 8, 2017 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Bin

Glad to hear Dizzy is doing so much better.  We are fortunate in that the place we board the pups are great.  I crush the tablets and put each meal's crushed tablets into its own labeled envelope.  I have a feeling that even if I didn't do that they would handle it correctly.  I agree with Olesia that finding someone to come to the home is an option.  I believe there is a website you can use to find people.  However giving someone a key and allowing them to come into your home is something you have to be comfortable with.  One thought it use one of the online background check people to check out the person as well as references from current clients.

--

Terry

Mom of three EPI Shiloh Shepherds: 

Pharaoh born Nov. 2007 and dx with epi December 2009.   Pharaoh weighed 62.4 lbs. (15 lb. weight loss) when diagnosed in 12/2009.

Weight 10/31/11 was 76.6; 85lbs on 9/22/12; 85.5 lbs. on 11/13/14.

Received six weeks of B12 shots Jan-Feb 2010 but his B12 on 8/10/2010 was only 232. So started weekly shots at home, which we continue to give. 

His older half sister is Taiko born Sept. 2006  and was dx with epi June 2010.  Since she has severe bilateral hip dysplasia she had always been on the thin side.  Taiko's weight was 70.7 lbs. in June 2010 (time of diagnosis; about a 10 lb. weight loss).

Weight on 10/31/11 was 80.4 and on 9/22/12 was 82.4 lbs.  Weight 11/13/14 was 83 lbs.  B12 was 211 in June 2010 so started six weeks of shots and was only 293 on 8/10/10.  She receives B12 shots weekly at home.  B12 in September 2014 was over 1,000.

Both are fed twice a day and we use Merrick BG brand: 1 1/2  cups kibble in the morning with 1/2 can dog food with 4 crushed tablets and in the evening 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups kibble with 1/2 can dog food  with 4 crushed tablets. 

Moku was born 4/15/14 does not have epi.  His grandfather is Taiko's and Pharaoh's father (through his mother).  On 11/05/14 his weight was 78 lbs, on 12/11/14 he was 85.7 and on his first birthday 15 April 2015: 90.2 lbs.

May 9, 2017 at 1:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.