Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > B12 question

Evon Carpenter

My dog, Suri, is a 56 pound shepherd mix, 9 years old. She was diagnosed with EPI in October, 2016. I have been using PancrePlus enzymes, and B12 injections. We recently decreased the B12 to 1.5ccs once every 3 weeks. She has been doing great and gained about 12 pounds since beginning treatment. She has now relapsed. I had a B12 level test done on Monday and am waiting for the results. In the mean time I have been reading many posts about B12 and have learned about the success many have with Wonder Labs PET Factor B-12 with Intrinsic Factor. I believe that I read a couple of posts where the writer uses B12 injections once a month and also supplements with a PET factor B12 pill each day. My vet was unaware of that type of supplimentation and I am writing to ask if I understood correctly. Do some of you use injections and a daily pill (with Intrinsic Factor)?

May 10, 2017 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dar

Hi Evon, Yes some do use both .I personally just use the PET factor ..drop one on her breakfast every morning and she gobbles it up. You must remember, each dog is different, some do better on the shots, some better on the pils, some both. I have not tested Kodis B12 for 5 years, because they pee out any excess. Feel free to go to the EPI tab above , click on the B12 tab and print out anything you need for your vet and discuss it with him/her .  AND remember, we are not vets, but we do live with our EPI dogs 24/7 !!

--

Dar and Kodi, From Washington state

' I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am !!'

Kodi (GSD female) , born August 19, 2010 , was diagnosed July 15, 2011 at 11 months .Lowest weight, 47 lbs, weight as of  4/27/2013  62.9 lbs. Our goal for her at this time is now 65 lbs. !!!   And she made it!! .  TLI .07 , Folate 9.4 , Cobalmin 536 .

Kodi is on Pioneer Naturals Whitefish or Venison , 2  cups kibble twice a day with  3/4 teaspoons of enzymes (X 8 ) per cup,from Diane. 1 Trinfac-B capsule once a day. Also 1/8 t. of ground coriander, 1/16 t. of ground fennel seed and cinnamon per meal (for stomach acid and burps). KOdi started having issues again with her feet.. I think it was the peas in the Acana foods..and her poo is good with the Pioneer Naturals too, she is not really happy about eating, but she is happier (or maybe I am to have solved the gnawing of the paws). So we will see how this works !

May 10, 2017 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Evon Carpenter

Thanks, Dar. Your information helps me very much. 

May 10, 2017 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator
Hi there! I never did the shots I just used and still use the pills - Docs B12 was 406 at diagnosis and I gave him 2 PetFactor pills a day and when I rechecked his B12 it was over 1,000. Please do share the information here with your vet. Madelon
--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

May 10, 2017 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Hi Evon,  first please do go to the B12 page here http://www.epi4dogs.com/b12.htm

and read what we do and don't know about B12 and EPI dogs... and what we are just guessing at :) and PLEASE share with your vet anything and everything we suggest to you.

Next the only time we "suggest" talking to your vet about doing the shots AND the pills in-between is when the dog is having difficulty maintaining B12 levels even when on weekly B12 shots.... for some reason (and we have no idea why.. yet!) is that for some reason, so far it appears that it is a small dog that will have this issue.

Next..many of use use the pills when we get to the B12 maintenance segment... and it seems like that is where you are at.  Have your vet read the B12 page, and review the Wonderlab products, Pet Factor  and Trinfac (they are both the same)... and you and your vet can decide if this is the way to go... going forward.

My personal vet from where i used to live looked into the WOnderlabs Trinfac product and he was very impressed with the 3rd party reviews on it that he not only recommended my EPI dog to take it (my Izzy only takes it  3 times a week)  but he also recommended to me to give to ALL my dogs over 5 years old... he said as they age they just don't optimally mainain their B12 levels... so my other "elderly" dogs also get the Wonderlabs B12 product 3 times a week also.

IN the end though, if you do start using Wonderlabs Trinfac or Pet Factor B12..... you and your vet need to kind of assess how much and how frequently you think Suri needs the B12.... don't jsut go by the label.  Each of our EPi dogs, although have to address the 4 cornerstones of dealing with EPI... each still have individual needs/requirements. You will just have to figure out what works best for Suri :)

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

May 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.