Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Blood Test Results

Oswulf

My Thai street dog, who's a couple of years old, has just been diagnosed with EPI (TFI/VDL 1.2 ng/ml - normal range 5 - 35).  (Cobolamin and folate in normal range, thankfully.)

However, I've just got back the full blood test results and am trying to understand some of the abnormal results:

Granulocytes 7.2 x 10^3/uL - normal range 66-77.

Lymphocytes 1.7 x 10^3/uL - normal range 12-20.

Monocytes 2% - normal range 3-10%.

Cholesterol 114 mg/dL - normal range 135-270.

Also, blood morphology shows anisocytosis, polychromasia 1+, Platelet manual =320,000 (platelet aggregation 1+).  (Not sure what most of that means.

These results to me suggest an issue with white blood cells.  Is this typical for dogs with EPI? Or is something else going on that I need to get investigated.

Thanks.

June 28, 2017 at 5:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Bin

Hello and welcome!  Unfortunately I can't tell you what the other blood work means though your vet should discuss your questions with you.  Can you let us know what the cobolamin and folate are?  Cobolamin needs to be in the high part of the range (if the range is normal up to 900 then we recommend 600)...even if cobolamin is in the "normal" range if it is low normal that is not good enough for an epi dog.  What enzymes and food do you have available to you in Thailand?

--

Terry

Mom of three EPI Shiloh Shepherds: 

Pharaoh born Nov. 2007 and dx with epi December 2009.   Pharaoh weighed 62.4 lbs. (15 lb. weight loss) when diagnosed in 12/2009.

Weight 10/31/11 was 76.6; 85lbs on 9/22/12; 85.5 lbs. on 11/13/14.

Received six weeks of B12 shots Jan-Feb 2010 but his B12 on 8/10/2010 was only 232. So started weekly shots at home, which we continue to give. 

His older half sister is Taiko born Sept. 2006  and was dx with epi June 2010.  Since she has severe bilateral hip dysplasia she had always been on the thin side.  Taiko's weight was 70.7 lbs. in June 2010 (time of diagnosis; about a 10 lb. weight loss).

Weight on 10/31/11 was 80.4 and on 9/22/12 was 82.4 lbs.  Weight 11/13/14 was 83 lbs.  B12 was 211 in June 2010 so started six weeks of shots and was only 293 on 8/10/10.  She receives B12 shots weekly at home.  B12 in September 2014 was over 1,000.

Both are fed twice a day and we use Merrick BG brand: 1 1/2  cups kibble in the morning with 1/2 can dog food with 4 crushed tablets and in the evening 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups kibble with 1/2 can dog food  with 4 crushed tablets. 

Moku was born 4/15/14 does not have epi.  His grandfather is Taiko's and Pharaoh's father (through his mother).  On 11/05/14 his weight was 78 lbs, on 12/11/14 he was 85.7 and on his first birthday 15 April 2015: 90.2 lbs.

June 28, 2017 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

I do not know what these blood test results actually indicate- -best to ask your vet to explain the test results to you, however... as far as the EPI condition.... no, EPI in itself does not cause an infection causing the white blood cells to be of a concern.'

What can happen is that the ALT liver enzymes may be elevated and that is caused from a bacterial infection that happens with small intestinal dysbiosis ... which imeans that the gut flora is not healthy.  This sometimes corrects itself once you start the proper animal enzymes (like CREON or Pancreoflat) or at other times, it does not clear up until your vet prescribes an antibiotic that address infection in the small intestine.

Not sure if this is helpful to you or not....

PLeaes feel free to ask more questions, we can help you with how to treat the EPI if you need some help with that.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

June 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Oswulf

Terry Bin at June 28, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Hello and welcome!  Unfortunately I can't tell you what the other blood work means though your vet should discuss your questions with you.  Can you let us know what the cobolamin and folate are?  Cobolamin needs to be in the high part of the range (if the range is normal up to 900 then we recommend 600)...even if cobolamin is in the "normal" range if it is low normal that is not good enough for an epi dog.  What enzymes and food do you have available to you in Thailand?

Unfortunately, EPI is extremely rare in Thailand, and whilst I'm using the most expensive private animal hospital here, the expert in the field simply isn't familiar with the condition.  In fact, we basically had to diagnose it ourselves, and it took several visits to persuade him to perform the necessary test - he simply didn't believe us.

Cobolamine is 353.1 pg/ml, and Folate 16.67 ng/ml.  However, we only started treatment a few days ago (with 40 g of raw cow pancreas at each meal, i.e. 3 times a day, with 80 g of food).  However, her stools are as soft as ever, so it doesn't seem to be working.  Are waiting delivery of enzyme powder from the USA (Enzyme Diane - OK choice?) which should be more standardised than raw pancreas.  Fingers crossed there are no problems with Customs.

To be honest, I'd been hoping that someone would say "low white blood cell counts are common for EPI dogs".  Anyway, we now need to consider (a) that it may not be EPI after all, but something else, or (b) she has another condition alongside EPI.  I'm just hoping, hope beyond hope, that her weight can be stabilised and that we can get to the root cause of her problems..

July 2, 2017 at 2:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hans

Hi Oswulf and welcome.

I would say these reading indicate a low Immune system. So boosting the immune system would be a good start.

Most of us add vitamins to our EPI dogs diet.

Immune builds would be, but not limited to A,C,and Omega 3. I'm assuming your giving B12 injections. If your not giving B12 please start them. I'm sure you'll find lots of info on B12 and building the immune system right here on the site. Olesia is very throw

I would be sure to talk to your vet before making any changes and for dosages.

--

Sharon and Hans; Hans is EPI and Lymes Positive, his birthday is 12/11/04 (GSD) His TLI was 1.0 on 10/17/08 When Diagnosed Down to .4 4/2/10. Weight 65 pounds on 12/08 now 95 pounds (Had him up to 104 in 2011)

1 1/2 cups Taste of the Wild Lamb, with very HOT water and soaked, then adding 1/2 pound Top Quaility Dog Food, boneless skinless turkey or Boneless skinless chicken breast.warmed in microwave for 15 to 20 seconds. 4 oz. Raw Pancreas not heated! Just warmed by sitting on counter while kibble soaked. All mixed together just before serving.

(Please note I don't not use powdered enzymes and the pancreas is added AFTER food and water has cooled)

July 2, 2017 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Yes, Diane is a good choice. You should be supplementing B12 as well. While I'm not a vet, blood cell counts can range with everything going on in the body, so I would recommend you talk with your vet about what the results mean...

Donna

July 2, 2017 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Buttermom
Administrator

Hello, and welcome. Yes, it's fantastic that you can get Diane's enzymes in Thailand!!!  It will be much easier to regulate than the raw pancreas. According to the TLI, you are definitely looking at EPI. The b12 is low and as stated above, hopefully you have begun the protocol of injections. Make sure you are using the generic b12 alone and not the b complex. There are also some oral products that you might be able to get. One is from Wonderlabs, and the other from Chemeyes. These products have the intrinsic factor in them which is necessary for most EPI dogs to absorb the vitamin orally. Speak with the vet about possibly seeing a secondary infection in the gut. This is common in EPI dogs and the antibiotic of choice is Tylan or tylosin. The course of treatment is 45 days, and you're looking for the powder form of this antibiotic. Please ask any and all questions you may have....

Susan

--

"I am I because my little dog knows me."   Gertrude Stein

Butterbean, Chihuahua born on 06-27-2004, diagnosed in May-June of 2010 via pancreatic biopsy. TLI score of 0.7. Feeding Natural Balance LID Potato and Duck. 1/4 cup with 1/4 tsp of enzymes, twice a day.  She gets a B12 shot every 10 days, and a Wonderlab's capsule every other day.  She gets a maintenance dose of Cosequin every other day. Butter gets 1/4tsp of coconut oil, and a 1/2tsp of Platinum Plus CJ every day. Our new regimen now includes 1mg of prednisone every day, 1/4 tablet (50 mg) of trazodone twice a day, 0.3 ml of omeprazole every day, 1/16th tsp of lactobacillus acidophilus every 3 days, and 500mg of wild salmon oil every other day. 

We lost Butter on the 24th of April, 2017 to cognitive brain disease.  

July 2, 2017 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

OsWulf.... i looked up "anisocytosis" and found this explanation :

http://emedicalhub.com/anisocytosis/

Can you ask your vet since anisocytosis showed up in the blood test results... if they think giving your dog some iron supplements along with high doses of B12 will help????  Maybe that will help start your dog feeling better????

Also... to help with the loose stool.... PLEASE ask your vet if you can give your dog some Agar Agar powder... and if your vet says yes, ask how uch... this should soothe the intestines and stop the loose stools ... i just do not know how much can or should be given........... 

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

July 3, 2017 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Oswulf

I just wanted to post a very belated thank you to the posters who responded.  It was great to know that there were people out there who were supportive at what was a difficult time for me.

Anyway, the Diane enzymes were miraculous.  My dog's stools returned to normal within a day, and she pretty quickly regained all the weight she lost.  To be honest, she's now slightly on the tubby side and I've reduced her food by 10 grams/meal.

Following your advice I've been giving her B12 injections.  Initially it was once a month, but after tests I've changed to every 3 weeks.

What has required a bit of investigation was working out which dried dog food softens with soaking - not all brands do.

The only slightly sad thing to report is that it used to be possible to give her small treats (fish cartilage, chicken jerkey, &c.).  They'd pass straight through her, undigested, but I reckon that was OK.  Recently, however, she has started vomiting when given even quite tiny treats (usually at 5 a.m., with her waking me up to be let out - not great, since I really need my beauty sleep).  The only treat she still can tolerate is a sort of tuna puff.

Anyway, once again, thanks.

June 2, 2018 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hello nice to hear from you again ,my gal was also one of those that couldnt tolerate a treat unless i gave it right by a meal...she to was better with a kibble that softened..the problem with treats is that without enzymes they dont digest them and then this in turn can lead to SIBO which can make them ill so i would be inclined not to give any treats hence the sickenss.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

June 3, 2018 at 2:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy & Piper
Administrator

Glad to hear she is doing so well! 

One member here gives her dog ice cubes as a treat.  He thinks it's great :).  

--
Piper - Diagnosed 21 Jan 14 at approx 16 months of age TLI 0.3
            DOB - late Sept/early Oct 2012 (found as a stray in a remote Northern Labrador community at approx 3 - 4 months of age)
Using Enzyme Diane 6x 
B12 shots every week at home as well as 2 pills per day
 Eating Pulsar Lamb or Pork
67lbs at time of diagnosis, now 118lbs.
Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism Sept 2014, taking Thyro 0.6mg 2 x daily. 
Piper also has Cushings Disease, allergies and a host of other things but she's happy and we spend our time going for Quality of Quantity because, at the end of the day, that's what's most important
I am not a Vet.  Anything I share or suggest on this site is strictly from my experience as the owner of an EPI dog.  It is recommended that suggested on this forum be discussed with your Vet.

June 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

So nice to hear from you and WOW perfect poop immediately - that's awesome!!  My boy cannot tolerate anything without enzymes so I do use ice cubes as a treat - he will actually sit in font of the freezer begging for them from time to time :) . I agree with Ann and would recommend no treats unless it's immediately after an enzymed meal.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

June 7, 2018 at 12:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb
Administrator

So good to hear from you with such a good report!  We, too, have struggled with treating without side effects.   The best we could do was freeze and offer  little bits of enzymed kibble (only 2 or 3 pieces at a time).  This worked for a while, but can lead to SID/SIBO, so you have to be very watchful.  I agree with the others that ice cubes are probably the best treat and the safest.

Barb

--

June 7, 2018 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Glad things are going well for you and your dog.  I give my dog ice cubes as a treat also.  My other dog loves the ice cube treat, as well.  However, my EPI girl wants 2 or 3 (brain freeze I know) but , if my other dog doesn't eat his fast enough guess who want to steal the ice cube from him?  lol  oh well.   

--

Ruby doo bee lol  was diagnosed with EPI in June 2011. Lost 20 lbs  before told about the TLI from the vet.  Was diagnosed with  EPI test result was 2.0. No other tests given.  Gained back 6 lbs.   Finally, *8/11 had B12/Folate test taken ..(Vet delayed it) B12 is 216. Shots will start Monday. Not on shots anymore instead we use Wonderland B12 with intrinsic factor twice a day with each meal. Her B12 was tested and she is in a very safe range high.  Gained weight, she now 53 lbs.  

Was on powder enzyems 1 tsp per 1 cup of food. Did well. I was allergic to powder and she started to not eat and bleed from the mounth and had other problems showing up.  Switched to tablets (didn't work).  Now on Creon Capsule 1capsule 24,000 units per 2 cups of food. Feeding 4 cups per day.  Natural Blance Venison and Sweet Potato plus a little lean boiled chopmeat. 

Also started her and trying probiotics 1/18 of a teaspoon every other day. Seems to be working fine.

June 7, 2018 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LAURA Leotta
good evening. four months ago I went from industrial food lupovet to a homemade diet based on horsemeat (280 gr per day) and sweet potatoes, one capsule of lypex per meal (2 meals), slyppery elm, probiotics and b12 chemeyes. unfortunately, teddy has lost 4 kg. first teddy weighed 18.5 kg today weighs 14.5 kg. today√?¬†I have withdrawn the analysis and has b12 at most and folate under the limit. What may have happened? perhaps insufficient enzymes or deficient diet or intestinal absorption problems? in 8 years of epi he has never had low folate but only problems with b12 and tli. all the other results are good. these are the values: folate 4.55 (min.74 max 24) - b12 906 (min 251 max 908). I'm worried
June 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hello low folate can indicate a food allergy however can you confirm that you are feeding 280gr per day of the horse meat that seems a little low  i thought it was something like 3% of the dogs weight per day so shouldnt that be per meal.

As they age you may need to increase the Lypex i needed more lypex ...you coudl try increasing this to 1.5 per meal.

Has she been on any antibotics ?

What is the poop like now.

It could be with that low folate that she needs a special diet..Royal Canin Ultamino  may be worth ago.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

June 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LAURA Leotta

maddie ann at June 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM

Hello low folate can indicate a food allergy however can you confirm that you are feeding 280gr per day of the horse meat that seems a little low  i thought it was something like 3% of the dogs weight per day so shouldnt that be per meal.

As they age you may need to increase the Lypex i needed more lypex ...you coudl try increasing this to 1.5 per meal.

It could be with that low folate that she needs a special diet..Royal Canin Ultamino  may be worth ago.

thank you. Tomorrow I will see the gastroenterologist and I will let you know the cure
June 12, 2018 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LAURA Leotta

LAURA Leotta at June 12, 2018 at 1:27 PM

maddie ann at June 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM

thank you. Tomorrow I will see the gastroenterologist and I will let you know the cure
these days I have already put two lipexes per meal. this morning, however, he vomited as soon as he was awake
June 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Good luck for tomorrow let us know how it goes.

--

ANN (UK).

June 12, 2018 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LAURA Leotta
good morning, the doctor told me that teddy has a dysbiosis. He had a poor diet and few enzymes. then change diet, increase enzymes, add folic acid and magnesium (because they are very low), bovine colostrum and many ferments. in recent months I had treated cystitis with antibiotic for 15 days (prescribed by another doctor) and the current doctor told me that antibiotics should be prescribed with care and only if really necessary after understanding what the bacterium to fight. Now I would like to order chemeyes enzyme powder, do you have good results? and how much do you put?
June 14, 2018 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.