Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Allergy Coconut Oil

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Ahh Marilyn.... i am so relieved and pleased for you and Ruby Doo!!!  What a long, horrid and painful journey you both have been on and finally she is getting better.... PHEW!!

Thank you for the good update and please continue to keep us posted!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

November 15, 2017 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Another update...gave Ruby Apoquel one day skipped a day gave her more and she started with an itchy allergic reaction. Can't win....just decided to let it work out of her system.  In the meantime, I put some ice pack on one of her bad spots that is starting to grow hair and that is helping to calm down some of the itch.  I was thinking of using Benadryl (childrens) if need be. Been reading up on it.

NEXT, JUST INCASE SOMEONE NEEDS TO KNOW....A friend of mine told me that she used coconut oil on one of her show dogs and some of the skin turned black....She said she thinks it has something to do with the fat content in it.

I don't know but my dog Ruby has some skin that turn black after using coconut oil.    Just passing the info on.

Did anyone ever use Vitamin C I was reading as it helps to bring up the immune system ...I read that Ester C is easy on the tummy.  I also read that about 500 mg could be given even more ...I take Ester C myself for years and it is much easier on the tummy.        Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Stay sane and be blessed lol

November 25, 2017 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
Hi Marilyn. Mickey, Kiya and T.J. have gotten along well on the coconut oil. They look at it as their treat. No itchiness nor black skin. I am sorry that you have been having such a bad time geting Ruby Doo settled with her skin and hair issues. Thanks for passing along the black skin issue.
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

November 26, 2017 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hey Marilyn - have you looked into Zyrtec instead of Benadryl?  Benadryl crosses the blood brain barrier and has been linked to dementia in humans.  I give Doc two Zyrtec a day for his allergies.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

November 28, 2017 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

thanks Madelon... good to know about Benedryl :)

Madelon.... YES!!!! Vitamin E (ester) is very good for the immune system... HOWEVER..... check with your vet first with how much and how often to give... Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin and it builds up in the system... so you have to be careful with it.

My Izzy (35lbs) get one Vitamin E 400 IU only 3 days a week.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

November 29, 2017 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi here we are again....Maybe I should try and start a different discussion..... Took Ruby for her 1st grooming in a salon instead of me doing it.  Big mistake????MADE SURE I TOLD THEM SHE WAS A SPECIAL NEEDS DOG AND THAT SHE HAS EPI.....ETC.  Left her there gave them Mane n Tail Pro-tect to use on her very good medicated shampoo and easy on the dogs skin if they have scrapes, etc.(look it up).  SOOO they washed her they told me 3 times (why) I don't know they said she needed it.  Left because she wasn't ready yet..came back to "OH MY YOUR DOG HAS HAD DIAHERRA We have been cleaning her up over and over.  MY POOR DOG....Then they told me, "Your dog must ber dehydrated....let's call a vet near by and you can take her in for an IV .... They had me in hysterics... Scared the  xxx+++/// ...out of me.    FINALLY, after I talked with my husband via phone he called our vet and said she will be able to see Ruby in an hour.  DID THIS NIGHTMARE END?????   NO....

Went to my vet who at least knows something about Ruby.  She didn't see anything wrong with her as far as dehydration.  Said she still had an infection and to give her antibiotics again, also gave her a shot of Dexethsone 1/2 the amount that before because Rudy was out of it for 4 days another time..  She is doing alright today....Knocked out I am sure from yesterdays experience...Let's go on, now my vet doesn't see any fleas but says  you can put both dogs on VECTRA 3D...  my dogs had been dealing with fleas and nothing more.....this stuff is suppose to cover everything that could bite them EVEN YOU(LOL). MAJOR PESTICIDES  Who needs all this. But, she never explained ...except to say she uses this on all the dogs at the humane society....but I didn't remember she told me the same thing when she said to use Apoquel.  ....   SOOO I LOOKED UP VECTRA 3D  very expensive their site says to buy only through the vets they deal with and not any where else because it could  not be the same...DEATHS, VERY BAD, VERY BAD SIDE EFFECTS IN THE REVEIW OF THIS PRODUCT... ARE YOU KIDDING AND I AM SUPPOSED TO GIVE IT TO BOTH MY DOGS....  I will use Advantage II they both did good on it.  

I AM GETTING MY LAWN TAKEN CARE OF IN A FEW DAY...SIDE NOTE....

The girl at the grooming salon told me  to use De Flea Spray for furniture, bed and dogs spary cate with bleach/water 50/50 mix let sit for 15 min then rinse......

Soooo I am a venting EPI dog owner...where are the people that are not trying to promote all this new stuff that is really not good for our dogs?      They are being used by the pharm companies and they are pushing this stuff on us the comsumers....how sad..... THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME SHARE....

RUBY WAS STARTING TO LOOK GREAT HAIR GROWING BACK AND DOING WELL UNTIL I USED APOQUEL HATE IT FOR HER ,CAUSED ALL THE MAJOR  ITCHING TO START ALL OVER AGAIN.  

Did any of you ever try this Vectra 3D if you are told to do please read, read, read up on this product.

Thanks EPI pet parents for letting me share.  Maybe, some of the info I shared will save your dog and you from going through any heart aches. 

Donna Admin.... I will look into Zyrtec opposed to Benadryl (though my vet says it o.k. to use).  

December 1, 2017 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Please pray for my Ruby doo bee she is been having a difficult time.  SHe is eating and doing well other wise.  BUT, she has lost more hair than before. I cry every day.  So sorry I took her to see the vet the meds started to do a number on her again and I stopped them.  I am going to look and get her some Vitamin E as Olesia had suggested.. it suppose to help her immune system.   Thanks all.   

December 30, 2017 at 1:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Has anyone used Solid Gold Seameal?  This is what I read...

Solid Gold Seameal contains 60 trace minerals, 12 vitamins, 22 amino acids, digestive enzymes, and flaxseed meal. It is excellent for animals with allergy problems and/or skin and coat problems. When Seameal is added to food, it increases the digestibility of the food.

January 4, 2018 at 8:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
I haven't used that brand but used algae for Mickey's fats. Just keep in mind the product has 13% fiber so keep a poop watch if you try it. I would think you wouldn't use much per serving.
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

January 4, 2018 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Could catch on the fiber Jill!!!  I haven't used that product but i've heard Solid Gold is a good brand.  I'm so sorry you all are going through this again. Sending hugs

--

Nashville, Tennessee

2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

January 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Thanks Jill and Doc's Mom....

Thanks Jill ... for the heads up about fiber.  This is what I saw on this EPI site here.....

•(1) fiber can interfere with the function of pancreatic replacement enzymes needed to manage EPI (sometimes reducing enzyme effectiveness by up to 50% )

•(2) and fiber can also inhibit some nutrient absorption.

So, not only do "most" EPI pets do better on low fiber food.... if possible it would be even better if we could understand what type of fiber best agrees with our EPI pet.

Seeing this info has made me think twice about using the Solid Gold Sea Meal I don't want to upset the EPI apple cart...you know what I mean. 

Doc's Mom I noticed you are giving your dog 600 mg vitamin E.... I am picking Ester E (vitamin E 400 IU) tomorrow. Finally found a place that carries it near me.   Not only does it help the immune system it also, from my research paper that I ran off,  helps a healthier skin and coat and is particularly helpful to dogs suffering from itchy skin caused by allergies.  Now that issomething Ruby needs.  Also,  this info about vitamin E may help others with any of these problems.

Oh well, moving on.... Thank you both for your concern and input.

January 4, 2018 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Doc's mom or Olesia how do you administer the vitamin E you use for your dog? I have the soft gel and wonder can I just put it in her food whole or do I have to squeeze it out from the casing?  thanks again.

January 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator
ThatÂ?s how I gave it to Doc however I stopped giving it and am just giving him Vetriscience Multivitamin
--

Nashville, Tennessee

January 10, 2018 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Thanks Doc's Mom....to make you laugh I saw a u tube on how to give the Vitamin E to your dog.  The person pricked it with a fork and sqeezed it on the food.  Yeah worked for her.  When I tried twice...all it did was go all over my hands. Guess this person must have tried a number of times to get it just right lol. 

January 10, 2018 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Doc's  why did you stop using Vitamin E?

January 10, 2018 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.