Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Switching to Creon soon...NERVOUS!

Michaela

Long story short, I am convinced that Nikki hates the powder enzymes...sigh. I have tried everything I can (she also has food allergies and IBD) and it's still a struggle to get her to eat if enzymes are touching her food. Right now I have to mix her enzymes with some tripe but she still hates it. Her IM at Texas A&M has mentioned switching her to Creon before IF we absolutely have to but am I still so nervous about it...LOL.

Has anyone here ever made the switch from powder enzymes to Creon without issues?

Where does everyone order the Creon from?

I was going to ask her vet to give me a prescription for Creon10, should I also ask for Creon5 just in case?

--

My GSD "Nikki" was diagnosed with EPI on 12/08/2010, TLI 1.07.  Receives weekly B12 injections.

Royal Canin Ultamino - 1 cup three times a day, 1 tsp of Viokase w/each meal soaked for 20 minutes.  She weighs 62 lbs.

Tylan:  1/4 tsp twice a day

"Nikki" GSD 11/21/2009 (EPI, IBD, Food Allergies, Atopy)

"Heidi" GSD (02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009) RIP Sweet Girl

September 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Hi Michaela,

I can hopefully help you out.  I use the powder with my Izzy... BUT.... if we go out of town i always freak out with a babysitter not preparing the enzymes & food correctly..... so.... i use CREON.   I did have to play around with teh adminsitration a bit.... but it does work .... you just have to figure out which technique will work best for NIkki.

For us, i tried 3 different techniques.... the 3rd one is the one that worked for me .

First... get the CREON 10 (or 12)... i order my from Canada Drugs.... but it takes about 3 weeks to get it.... lst bottle i got cost me (i think) around $70 for 100.... however.... if you woud like i can send you some to "try".... just email me privately at:  olesia.kennedy @ gmail . com  (skip the extra spaces)

And now the trying different technique part:

1. Open a CREON 10 capsule and sprinkle the enteric coated capsules on the food- -serve immediately (do not incubate)

2. Serve the CREON capsule whole approx 5 minutes prior to a meal (tucked in a tsp of some sort of soft food)

If you are not seeing any positive results with either of the above... then

3. try the above techniques BUT with an increased dose  (i always start slow, so when i first tried this i used 1 capsule +  then i opened up another capsule and used 1/2 of that one too.  In our case, this helped but it still wasn't optimal... the magic technique for us turned out to be 2 CREON 10  opened and sprinkled on the food... which, now if i go away, i switch her to CREON and it works perfectly.

Please don't be too nervous... the only thing with CREON is that you ahve to play around a bit with th technique... andthe worse thing that happens is that the stools get a little mushy until you can figure out which technique is optimal for Nikki.

hope this helps!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

September 27, 2017 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

This makes me feel a lot better about trying the Creon Olesia, thank you so much :)

--

My GSD "Nikki" was diagnosed with EPI on 12/08/2010, TLI 1.07.  Receives weekly B12 injections.

Royal Canin Ultamino - 1 cup three times a day, 1 tsp of Viokase w/each meal soaked for 20 minutes.  She weighs 62 lbs.

September 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Susan is delivering some to you as she will be in your town today... please let us know how it goes (or doesn't) so that we can help you navigate the dosing technique until you can get it to work for Nikki :)

BTW.... Susan... THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

September 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

Susan was here and we had such a nice visit. Nikki made sure she was covered in dog hair :D I will keep you posted and THANK YOU so much!

--

September 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Yea!! you now have CREON.... keep us posed and ask any questions you may have :)

--

September 28, 2017 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lindak

do you need prescription for creon?

--

Linda & Mo ��

September 30, 2017 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

LInda: Yes you need a prescription

First update: Things are going good so far! I tried giving her the whole capsule first and we ended up with very big/soft, tan colored poops and gas.

Opening the capsule & sprinkling it on her food is working much better. This morning she had a decent poop, just the end of it is not completely normal yet, no more gas. Waiting on one more poop and if it's still not perfect I am going to increase the dosage.

I have to sprinkle the Creon on a little bit of stinky canned food or she will back away from it. Ziwi Peak Mackerel & Lamb did the trick.

I will give another update in a few days :)

--

October 3, 2017 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Michaela - glad you and Susan were able to get together and you were able to get the Creon.  Sounds like you might be headed in the right direction.  Keep us posted on how things go.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

October 3, 2017 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi,  Just wanted to give you info from me.  I switched my dog from the powder form to Creon years ago.   I need a perscription faxed in to www.canadadrugs.com  Then I order 4 bottles at a time.  Each contain 100 capsules and all 4 bottles cost me $211.  That works for me.You can order as you feel works for you.

I give my dog (2) 10,000 units for each of her meals.  She also gets 2 cups of food.

This is how I give it to her.  I just put a little tad of water on the capsule place it in my hand and she takes it.  I do that with each one.  She's happy, I'm happy and that's it.   I give her, Creon about 2 minutes or so before I give her, her food. 

Really, once you know how much your dog is good with it's a breeze.   Hope this helps you a little.

October 3, 2017 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

I have the prescription for the Creon but now I see that Canadadrugs offers two different strenghts. I thought there was only one Creon10. Which one is the right one? I propably have the wrong script now...ugh :(

https://www.canadadrugs.com/products/creon-10000/10000-iu-8000-iu-600-iu

https://www.canadadrugs.com/products/creon-10/10000iu-730iu-11200iu

--

October 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Hi Michaela,

Both are correct... the only thing is once you start with one product stick with that one- -do not switch around.  I personally use:

TOP BRAND CHOICE

Creon 10000 10000 IU/8000 IU/600 IU

Creon 10000 known as creon 10 in the u s 10000iu 8000iu 600iu 15477

Marketed as Creon 10000 10000IU​/8000IU​/600IU in the United Kingdom

Manufactured by: Solvay Pharma

--

October 5, 2017 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

Thanks Olesia!

Just spent over an hour on chat & phone with Canada Drugs. I found out that they are only offering the Creon from the UK at this time anyway. I paid extra for faster shipping since it ships from the UK. It was a great price, I got 25% off my first order with a coupon. I will give another update on how Nikki is doing in 2-3 days :)

--

October 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lindak
I have switched to Creon too. We got prescription with strength of 6000 units of lipase ( in capsule). Our kitty is 7-8 pounds and should be 9 at least. We have to use the whole capsule .we open it and sprinkle on food... How long would it take to gain/ stabilize weight? Anybody has a kitty here on Creon?
--

Linda & Mo ��

October 5, 2017 at 10:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

Update:  Nikki has been on 2 Creon10 with each meal for 4 days now and her poop is still not normal. I sprinkle the capsules on some canned food and she licks it up, I feed her kibble right away. (the other method, giving her the entire capsule, didn't work at all. Produced same big, soft, tan/yellowish poops and also a lot of gas).

It looked like poops were getting a little better a couple of times but went right back to big, soft, light tan colored poops. She is also showing way too much interest in her poops, that hasn't happened since her EPI symptoms started.

I did notice that the bottle of Creon expired on 02/2016, could that be the issue? Her other Creon from CanadaDrugs will not be here for a while, it hasn't even shipped yet :(

--

October 7, 2017 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Buddy & Wendy

Hi Michaila,

I used Creon for years, but I gave it to Buddy differently.  I know that some sprinkle the granuales, but I gave the capsule whole a few minutes before feeding.  I put is in a small glob of wet food and he swallowed it whole.

The though process with Creon is the capsule disolves in the stomach and the granuals are in the small intestines where it;'s needed.  Nikki maybe breaking down too much of the Creon in the stomach making it inactive. 

Give this a try because once it works, it's a heaven sent!

And your right...it is very scary to try something new.  My boy would starve himself because he hated the powder.  

--

Wendy

October 8, 2017 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Michaela,

Based on what you shared with us ..... the next  step to try is: either:

1. you can try what Wendy suggested (give the capsule WHOLE tucked in something about 5 minutes prior to a meal)

OR.....

2. increase the dose to 1+1/5 capsule  or 2 capsules per meal (with us, i had to increase to 2 capsules per meal)

Each dog is different in how they best respond to CREON, along with the pH difference in humans vs. dogs.... and that is why we have to play around with how we give it until we find out what works best for our dog :).  It will work... you jsut have to play around with it.

--

October 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Buddy & Wendy

From what I remember, we did 2 Creon10.  I took us a few weeks to get his poop good enough.  Buddy used to have his days where he was sloppy, but that might not have been food or enzyme being he was a very nervous boy.

Also, Buddy was a lifer on Tylosyn.  

--

Wendy

October 8, 2017 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Wendy... same with us.... one CREON 10 worked but not 100%... kind of like what Michaela described above... so we had to bump it up to two CREON 10... worked like a charm :).

We only use CREON when we have to go out of town and a babysitter needs to take care of Izzy.... otherwise we are on powder... so... even though Izzys does not ahve a problem with the powde and does very well on it....  i LOVE having the no muss/no fuss option with CREON for those special occassions...less worry if someone will really follow my instructions! ;)

--

October 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

Thanks Wendy & Olesia :)

I decided to go back to the Viokase for now, she wasn't crazy about it but did eat it.

She was already getting 2 Creon capsules with each meal for the past four days. We also tried giving the whole capsules and it gave her horrible gas. Plus she just recently decided she would refuse to take all capsules, not sure why. She has been taking her Tylan for many years without an issue. I have to pill her twice a day to get the Tylan into her.

Once the Creon I ordered arrives I will give it another try, hopefully she will eat the Viokase until then...sigh.

--

October 8, 2017 at 12:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.