Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Panzym

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Ahh Fiona, so sorry to hear this... and thank you for letting us know the TLI was 3.4.... which mean there is something amiss, but it may or may not be EPI in the making.

When the TLI is above 2.5 but below 5.7 means, as mentioned above, something is amiss.  They now do recommend trying enzymes temporarily........ but since the TLI value is above the EPI range..... ignore what i said about trying to increase the enzymes... but try what Ann suggested, give a slightly reduced amount.... and see if that helps or hinders. IN this situation, you kind of have to try both... increasing and decreasing and see whih if either help.....

Also...because she not only has these gastro issues, but because she also has issues with anal glands....  i am wondering if she would be helped with something like SLippery Elm for the gastro and anal issues... as it is the right kind of fibre and also a prebiotic .... but please ask your vet if they think this might be something for you to try.

I am so so sorry to hear about the back legs... good that your vet is going to further examine her regarding this.  Thoughts and Prayers with you!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

October 30, 2017 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Hi Fiona

How did you get on today?

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

October 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

i am wondering too... looking forward to hearing what the vet said.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

October 31, 2017 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
Thanks for all the comments and advise. Had a horrible day yesterday, the vet really worried me in the morning. But it is much better news than we were expecting. The xrays show good hips and knees, the problems is in her toes and joints. Where she had a part toe removed a few years ago is the worst area, the joint is a bit deformed and the inflammation is very apparent. They did consider removing another toe to help but decided against it at the moment. They gave her an injection and a course of Rimadyl (worrying reading about rimadyl). They have advised keeping the exercise down a notch for a week or two. I am just so glad it is not her hips or knees. Anyone have experience of Rimadyl? The slightly reduced panzym is showing a slight improvement. I did try slippery elm previously but there was no change, slightly worse if anything. It was so good to have her back last night ☺.
--
Kenzie dob 5/06/2010. Bood tests June 2015 TLI 4, vets started us on Panzym and changed to home cooked diet. 1/2 tsp on all meals, gradually reducing to 1/4 TSP per meal. Responded well until Sep 2015 very bad runs, nothing staying in and vomiting. After finding this website, re quested copies of blood tests - B12 v low 154 and folate high!!! Antibiotics, B12 weekly injections, steroids and one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Runs stopped, started extra meals of Canagan grain free game kibble in between home cooked mainly Turkey chicken, mince, organ meat in small amounts, fish, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, apple, banana, sardines, eggs. All previous trials with kibble had immediate bad effect . Pre Jun 2015 weight 34kg Sep 2015 weight 26.9 kg. Sep 2015, upped enzyme to 1 TSP enzyme on kibble and 1 TSP on home cooked, huge improvement.

Jan 2016 stopped home cooked, 3 kibble meals, introducing Yorkshire grain free. Doing fine till early Feb, pooing more and on and off mushy. Changed food to Millies Wolfheart, immediate improvement. Blood tests end Feb 2016 B12 - 810 Folate - 11 TLI - 3.9 March 2016 - 3/4 tsp Panzym per meal (150g) 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Bloods May 2017, TLi -3.2 folate - 24 B12 1000 poos not good Upped enzymes to 1 tsp per meal, b12 tabs down to one every 3 days, still 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day. Within a few days, poos vastly improved and consistent. Aug 17 Anal glands infected, two lots of anti biotics, stopped tylan. Tried slippery elm, no good, back on Tylan 23 Sep, poos better.
October 31, 2017 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Oh that is good news...i have only had Metcam for Maddie she did have one iffy poop with it and then seemed to correct itself but she was only on a short course ...if you see any dark poops take her off it ...with the stress of yesterday you may have some stomach upset any way its normal...with the panzym keep it as it is at the moment and then once she is back to her normal self try reducing a bit then.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

October 31, 2017 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.