Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Travel Tips?

Loki

When we go on vacation we drive to another part of the country.  It's a long drive- about 12 hours each day for 2 days,  We have 2 GSD's, one with EPI.  Both dogs ride find inside our SUV without any problems.  They have plenty of room and no car sickness, though I'm sure it is stressful- it's stressful for anyone. 

We have made this trip a few times now and each time we struggle.  Both dogs ride fine, but it seems to throw Loki off his food.  He will not eat his food while we travel.  When we arrive at the hotel, we walk, we play, and then because it's been 12 hours since breakfast, we fix his food and he refuses to eat. He refuses breakfast the next morning and then picks at his dinner when we arrive at our destination.  Now, I know he has to be hungry!  If I give him bites of chicken he will eat that.  But no dog food.  At all,  (He's a very slow, eater on a good day.)  We are actually considering just taking bites of chicken in a cooler and feeding him "mini-meals" while we are on the road- he might get some food in him that way and we won't be throwing away expensive dog food after all but begging him  to eat it.  (I'm sure eveyone here understands that sadness.)

So---does anyone have any travel advice?  We are seeking ways to make it easier on him and us.  We can't board him- we know he will not eat, so we always take him with us,  I appreciate any wisdom you have!

Thanks,

Jen

--

Tylan, 1/4 tsp twice a day.

Takes 4 crushed Panakare tablets twice per day with his food. 

Takes 1 Wonderlabs at night.

Eats Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato kibble with Merrick Back Country Grain Free canned mixed in. Proud and Thankful Member of the Chunky Monkey Club!

October 12, 2017 at 6:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

I have a thought, well atually 2 thoughts....

first  if i am not around to fix my EPI dog's food, i leave the doggie sitter with CREON capsules instead of the powder- -so sitter doesn't have to prepare anythign with enzymes... just give the capsule a few minutes before she eats, or fix the food , open the capsule and sprinkle the little enteric coated pellets on top of the food... but since it sounds ike your pup takes forever to eat... probably better to give the capsule whole before he eats.

next... the food..... i happened upon this food (i buy from CHEWY.COM on line) that is air-dried chicken and not too expensive.  so you can have meat on hand but it does not need to be refrigerated.  It's called "ReaL Meat"

http://www.realmeatpet.com/

The chicken and Venison is $12

https://www.chewy.com/real-meat-company-95-chicken-venison/dp/110500

The chicken is $21

https://www.chewy.com/real-meat-company-90-chicken-grain/dp/110463

It also comes in Beef, and Venison, etc.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

October 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Loki

Epi4Dogs at October 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM

I have a thought, well atually 2 thoughts....

first  if i am not around to fix my EPI dog's food, i leave the doggie sitter with CREON capsules instead of the powder- -so sitter doesn't have to prepare anythign with enzymes... just give the capsule a few minutes before she eats, or fix the food , open the capsule and sprinkle the little enteric coated pellets on top of the food... but since it sounds ike your pup takes forever to eat... probably better to give the capsule whole before he eats.

next... the food..... i happened upon this food (i buy from CHEWY.COM on line) that is air-dried chicken and not too expensive.  so you can have meat on hand but it does not need to be refrigerated.  It's called "ReaL Meat"

http://www.realmeatpet.com/

The chicken and Venison is $12

https://www.chewy.com/real-meat-company-95-chicken-venison/dp/110500

The chicken is $21

https://www.chewy.com/real-meat-company-90-chicken-grain/dp/110463

It also comes in Beef, and Venison, etc.

Hi Olesia, Thank you for the reply and for the leads on the real meat! I will check it out! That would make travel much easier. Also, I am intrigued about the way you said to give the enzymes to your dog when you cannot mix the powder. Our dog actually takes Panakare tablets. The vet said to give him the tablets and then give him his food, but I read on here it would be better to crush the tablets, mix it with his food, wait for it to mix, then give him his food. That is what we've been doing for the last year, and he has put on 23 pounds and is at a healthy weight. But, it is a full-time job feeding him. The process can can take up to 45 minutes to an hour for each meal, to prepare the food, wait for it, and then convince him to eat. Sometimes, I think he can smell the enzyme in the food and that turns them off. I say this because when we get a new bottle of enzyme tablets they're very strong smelling and his appetite noticeably declines. If I could give it to him in tablet form I think he may eat his food more easily, but after finally getting him to a healthy place I'm afraid to try that. After reading your note, I am wondering if it will work just to feed him the tablets, then his food. As a note, if he gets a treat I feed him one pill, he eats the pill, and then the treat and that seems fine. But, that's not an entire meal. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. (Whole pills, then food vs. crushing the pills and mixing it in the food, incubating it, feeding him then. ) Thanks! Jen
--

Tylan, 1/4 tsp twice a day.

Takes 4 crushed Panakare tablets twice per day with his food. 

Takes 1 Wonderlabs at night.

Eats Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato kibble with Merrick Back Country Grain Free canned mixed in. Proud and Thankful Member of the Chunky Monkey Club!

October 12, 2017 at 11:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.