Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Food suggestion for extremely picky corgi

Judith

Hi all

Nate has stopped eating the Zignature Kangaroo. He has some issues in his blood work, BUN is slightly elevated, K is borderline low 3.8 (3.6 - 5.5) Chloride 120 (102-120), Na 149 (138 - 154) as of last Friday and his Percorten shot has been delayed for a week. His electrolytes are normally perfectly balanced, K and Na midrange at the end of a 28 day cycle. We're wondering if his zonisamide is the culprit, it has a rare side effect of causing hyperchloremic acidosis (non-anion gap) without respiratory alkaosis. Re-running bloods on Thursday or Friday after fasting. Soft stool is also returning now that I started to wean him off of Tylan (6 week course) 

As for food he seems to like venison and bison the most. Has anyone had luck with the Anameat Red bag, Stella and Chewy's red meat, Orijen Regional Red, Go! Venison, the Zignature Venison or the Earthborn Great Plains or the Earthborn Holistic Venture Pork and Butternut Squash? 

At this moment he won't even eat canned Zignature. Thinking of buying a can of green tripe tomorrow which is normally his favorite. Stella and Chewy's or Primal Venison is also an option. I may also try the Royal Canin Ultamino which Raymi is on

Thanks in advance!

--

Nate 2 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi. DOB 5/5/2014 

EPI and Addison's Disease and Idopathic Epilepsy

TLi 2.1 June 13, 2016 TLi 2.0

Coblamin and folate could not be done

Clinically diagnosed with Addison's disease on June 23, 2016

Diet 1.25 cup Royal Canin Ultamino every 12 hours 

2 Chemeyes capsules given with each meal

.45ml hydroxocobalamin (B12) once a week

.33ml Percorten-V every 28 days Addison's Disease

.5mg prednisolone in the morning for Addison's Disease

100mg Zonisamide every 12 hours for seizures

November 7, 2017 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Riley's Mom
Administrator

Judith, I wish I had some answers for you :(

You have been through the ringer with llittle Nate, and I applaud you for sticking with it and getting him diagnosed and healthy. 

I am curious to see if adding some green tripe as a topper will get him more interested. 

--

Elisabeth

Riley's Mom from Chesapeake, VA

Riley, 8 yr old Labradoodle diagnosed September 2014 cTLI 1.6

Weight before diagnosis 40 lbs, lowest weight 33 lbs, ready for the Chunky Monkey club as she weighed in at a whopping 42 pounds on 12/19/14!

Update: as of 2/25/15 Riley weighs in at 44.2 pounds!

Update: as of 6/15/15 Riley weighs in at 45 pounds!

Feeding grain free kibble TOTW, 1 tsp of Diane's 6x enzymes per cup of food. (I mix the enzymes in something moist). She is a picky eater--lately feeding her on a flat plate is the way to entice her to eat. 1 cup in the am, 2 cups in the pm, 1 tsp of coconut oil per meal, 1 packet of FortiFlora probiotic in the pm meal.

Began weekly B12 shots 10/23/14. Holding on shots for now.

Began 1 Wonderlabs B12 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Capsule opened up and sprinkled on her food.

*I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is solely from my experience as an EPI dog owner. It is recommended that anything shared or suggested on this forum be discussed with your pet's vet.*

November 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
Hi Judith. Kiya and TJ both eat the Orijen red meat dehydrated as a topper on their Acana kibble. I don't us much as it is expensive but crunch a bit on top. They like the red meat formulae kibble but not sure if the fiber might be a bit high.
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

November 8, 2017 at 9:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judith

Thank you. 

Nate decided he would eat the Royal Canin Ultamino that Raymi normally eats so we'll see what tomorrow morning brings... He eats the Orijen freeze dried Bison and Regional Red treats, I'll have to try the freeze dried patties and see if he'll approve of the kibble, picky boy. Green tripe normally is a favorite! 

Tomorrow I'm going to have his electrolytes checked before he eats and I go to work. 

He and Raymi have certainly had a few health challenges but I learn from each one. They're my babies. 

--

November 8, 2017 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Judith

Hi all

Nate's electrolytes were worse... K 3.7 (3.5 - 5.8 ) Na 152 (144 - 160) Cl 119 (109-122) Na/K ratio 41 (normal 27 -38 ). He woke me up at 4:30 am to pee which is very unlike him. I'm extremely frustrated and am waiting to talk to his vet and UPenn. Only conclusion I can come to is the Zonisamide is lowering his potassium and causing the issues. I'm going to go broke this month

--

November 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Hi Judith,

All I can offer you at this point is a shoulder... You've been thru so much! My Bridge Corgi, who had IBD, was a horrible eater his whole life, but in the end, I remember, when he had lymphoma, he'd only eat deli roast beef... 

Keeping fingers, toes and paws crossed here for some answers for you!

Donna

November 9, 2017 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Judith

Thanks Donna

I'm taking him to UPenn tomorrow through the ER per my vet. He's worried about his kidneys. He's stopped eating the Ultamino :(. Will let you know 

--