Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Rimadyl

Sandemac
Unfortuantely the rimadyl does not seem to be working. We are not letting Kenzie run and play like she used to but even a few runs and the limp is back, not as bad but still there. A couple of more days with Rimadyl then not sure what to do. She is also having not great poos, not dark but a lot and definitely softer but no diarrhoea. Think I should ask about metacam as the next option.
--
Kenzie dob 5/06/2010. Bood tests June 2015 TLI 4, vets started us on Panzym and changed to home cooked diet. 1/2 tsp on all meals, gradually reducing to 1/4 TSP per meal. Responded well until Sep 2015 very bad runs, nothing staying in and vomiting. After finding this website, re quested copies of blood tests - B12 v low 154 and folate high!!! Antibiotics, B12 weekly injections, steroids and one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Runs stopped, started extra meals of Canagan grain free game kibble in between home cooked mainly Turkey chicken, mince, organ meat in small amounts, fish, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, apple, banana, sardines, eggs. All previous trials with kibble had immediate bad effect . Pre Jun 2015 weight 34kg Sep 2015 weight 26.9 kg. Sep 2015, upped enzyme to 1 TSP enzyme on kibble and 1 TSP on home cooked, huge improvement.

Jan 2016 stopped home cooked, 3 kibble meals, introducing Yorkshire grain free. Doing fine till early Feb, pooing more and on and off mushy. Changed food to Millies Wolfheart, immediate improvement. Blood tests end Feb 2016 B12 - 810 Folate - 11 TLI - 3.9 March 2016 - 3/4 tsp Panzym per meal (150g) 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Bloods May 2017, TLi -3.2 folate - 24 B12 1000 poos not good Upped enzymes to 1 tsp per meal, b12 tabs down to one every 3 days, still 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day. Within a few days, poos vastly improved and consistent. Aug 17 Anal glands infected, two lots of anti biotics, stopped tylan. Tried slippery elm, no good, back on Tylan 23 Sep, poos better.
November 9, 2017 at 3:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi,  Why is your dog limping...did your dog sprained her leg?  Why is your dog on Rimadyl? If it is not working than I am sure you agree with me to stop giving it to you dog.

Sometimes regarding the poos... sometimes everything is not perfect because she may be a little upset with limping or not being able to run and play.... Sometimes little things through them off but will get better over a day or say and not to worry.    

November 9, 2017 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
Sorry, mistakenly thought I had added to previous post. She has been xrayed due to limping on the rear leg. They found s problem area in her toes, it showed inflammation and the vet said arthritis. Prescribed course of Rimadyl. I have also started her on you move, (glucosamine plus for dogs). The vet did say sometimes some dogs do better on Rimadyl than metacam which is why I am thinking metacam may be next.
--
Kenzie dob 5/06/2010. Bood tests June 2015 TLI 4, vets started us on Panzym and changed to home cooked diet. 1/2 tsp on all meals, gradually reducing to 1/4 TSP per meal. Responded well until Sep 2015 very bad runs, nothing staying in and vomiting. After finding this website, re quested copies of blood tests - B12 v low 154 and folate high!!! Antibiotics, B12 weekly injections, steroids and one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Runs stopped, started extra meals of Canagan grain free game kibble in between home cooked mainly Turkey chicken, mince, organ meat in small amounts, fish, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, apple, banana, sardines, eggs. All previous trials with kibble had immediate bad effect . Pre Jun 2015 weight 34kg Sep 2015 weight 26.9 kg. Sep 2015, upped enzyme to 1 TSP enzyme on kibble and 1 TSP on home cooked, huge improvement.

Jan 2016 stopped home cooked, 3 kibble meals, introducing Yorkshire grain free. Doing fine till early Feb, pooing more and on and off mushy. Changed food to Millies Wolfheart, immediate improvement. Blood tests end Feb 2016 B12 - 810 Folate - 11 TLI - 3.9 March 2016 - 3/4 tsp Panzym per meal (150g) 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Bloods May 2017, TLi -3.2 folate - 24 B12 1000 poos not good Upped enzymes to 1 tsp per meal, b12 tabs down to one every 3 days, still 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day. Within a few days, poos vastly improved and consistent. Aug 17 Anal glands infected, two lots of anti biotics, stopped tylan. Tried slippery elm, no good, back on Tylan 23 Sep, poos better.
November 10, 2017 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

We just had Maddie prescribed metcam she has Arthirits on her spine  i note my vets use it as an injection form as well ...but at the moment she will be on it short term...we havent had a discussion yet about the long term use  because we are dealing with other non epi conditions but i will be researching other alternatives.So i would say give it ago i..i did use it with my last GSD but he was 12 when he started on it.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

November 10, 2017 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

Our Bridge GSD did well on Rimadyl,  which confirms what your vet says --that some dogs do better on one treatment and some do better on another.   

I hope you can find what is best for Kenzie soon.

Barb

--

November 10, 2017 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

I too have had success with sevaral dogs on Rimadyl, but I always use it with Milk Thistle as it can be difficult on the liver...

Hope the other drug works better for you!

Donna

November 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
What was your Rimadyl for, pain, inflammation and how long was the treatment?
--

November 10, 2017 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

my vet put my non-EPI dogs (with Cushings and Arthritis) on Gabapentin instead of Rimadyl for pain & inflammation... said the Rimadyl doesn't always work well in some dogs....  so far the Gabapentin is doing the trick.  My dog is 65lbs and takes 100mg Gabapentin twice a day.. vet said i can give it 3 times a day if needed, but so far, not needed.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

November 10, 2017 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

My non-EPI girl Roxy has been on Rimadyl for a year for arthritis and knee issues - she does very well on it.  I hope the metacam works for you!!  Hugs

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

November 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

My dogs were put on this for arthritis and severe bi-lateral HD.

Olesia, this is interesting... Zoey was put on this when her symtoms of DM began showing up and it was awful for her! It pretty much rendered her comatose! My husband thought we had killed her after one dose as he couldnt wake her up the following morning....as DM is nerological the vet thought it might help, but after the first dose, we opted out!

Donna

November 10, 2017 at 5:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
Just been to the vets. She has given me some metacam (3days clear of Rimadyl before start) and tramadol. We will see how she goes, she was really bad last night 🙁.
--

November 11, 2017 at 8:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

I hope this works for her - it's so hard to see our babies in pain.  Sending hugs!!

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

November 11, 2017 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Hi Fiona

I hope she feels better soon and that the metcam works....were are you in Shropshire ? I live right in the Worcs/,shrops/hereford border...nr Tenbury wells....Maddies been in the wars herself just had a second operation to remove a skin tumur on her rear leg ...thats when they found arthritis on the spine  just something  else to add to her list of ailments.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

November 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

Kip was put on Rimadyl for arthritis pain and was on a maintenance level for many years.  I hope Kenzie does well on the new medicine.  Let  us know and paws crossed that it works.

Hugs.

Barb

--

November 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
Hi Ann, we are just outside Telford. Sorry to hear about poor Maddie, hope she recovers quickly and hope the metacam helps her arthritis.
--

November 11, 2017 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wolflove

Previcox is a great alturnitive and i think its easier on the stomach. I used it on my horse and it worked great.

November 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.