Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > EPI

Shelly

Hi I was hoping to find others with dogs with EPI. I have a 2 year old Greman Sheperd who we just found out had it. We have her on Pancrecare but she seems to still not feel like herself. Its been a little over a week. Just curious on how long it takes to get them feeling better. Any help would be great!! Thanks, Shelly

November 9, 2017 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Hello Shelly and welcome to the forum,

Glad you came here as this is the best place to get current info on EPI. Most vets don't see a lot of it, so are not quite up to date on the protocol to treat. first, you've been given the correct enzymes, but often times the dose given is incorrect. You should be feeding 1 tsp per cup of dry food. I know that sounds like a lot, especially when using prescription enzymes, but there are alternatives, such as www.enzymediane.com She purchases generic enzymes, which you are using, in bulk and distributes them to EPI dog owners at 1/3 the cost. Also, it's recommended to let the enzymes incubate in warm water with food for a minimum of 20 minutes to prevent mouth sores.

Was your dog's B12 tested? Often times, this condition causes B12 deficiency and will need to be supplemented.

What are you feeding? The recommended foods are grain free with 4% or less fiber. Does your pup have tummy rumbles? This is indicative of SIBO (or SID) which is another condition that goes with EPI and B12 deficiency.

Can you tell us what your  tests were and what the numbers are? This will help us to help you. If you haven't already, read the EPI quick start tab above. It will help you to understand EPI and understand why we're asking these questions, ;)

Donna

November 9, 2017 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ShelbyBelle
Hello Shelly, Since every dog is different, it might take some time to find exactly what dose enzyme your dog will need. Donna has excellent suggestions since there are several reasons EPI dogs can have diarrhea. My vet and I are learning together how to treat this condition and we are still tinkering with my boy's enzyme dose. I can tell you that his stools normalized within 2 days once we got the dose right. They were ok for a week and then the diarrhea cane back so we are treating for SIBO currently. It's tough because there are many components to this disease and it's not one size fits all for enzyme doses. It is definitely frustrating but it sounds like things get easier once the B12 and SIBO are treated (I'm salt on in this journey as well...). Good luck!
--

Nicolette 

GSD Mom of Royce, Eleanor, and Furbo

Royce (DOB 12/09/15): Clinical signs of EPI with a low normal enzyme level.  Symptom resolution and weight gain with enzyme replacement.  Fun loving, happy go lucky, handsome long haired German Shepherd

Eleanor (DOB 02/02/15): Royce's high energy but gorgeous "sister" who loves to swim.

Furbo (DOB 05/04/2011): Eleanor's dad who enjoys chewing his ball and bite work.

In memory of my beautiful girls, Cally and Shelby, who have crossed the rainbow bridge.

November 9, 2017 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi Shelly,   It may seem like a lot BUT go to the top along the orange line find "Download" you will then see two choices click on the one "EPI Quick Guide"  this will help give you info you can use to learn about EPI, B12 (which needs to be above average reading more like 600+).... There is also the right dog food you need to use as well.  Look on top again "EPI" see choices see "Dog Food Options" click there and it will show you a lot of dog food that should be good for your dog to be on. Trial and error BUT IT IS ALL DOABLE ...Your dog can have a wonderful life once you get it all together.

YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE AND BEST PLACE TO HELP YOU HELP YOUR DOG.  THERE IS A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE HERE THAT EVEN VETS DON'T KNOW. SO STAY WITH US ALL AND YOU WILL HAVE A HAPPY DOG AND YOU WILL BE BLESS.   Take Care   

November 9, 2017 at 11:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

Hello, Shelly, and welcome!   

Getting a correct diagnosis and then beginning  treatment is the hardest time .  You have already succeeded in getting a correct diagnosis, so you are halfway there.  Some people spend months (or years) trying to find out what is the matter with their dog.  Balancing the food, enzymes, B12, and antibiotics, if necessary, are the next steps.  Try not to get discouraged.   You are doing great.   

One thing that really helped our sanity was keeping a log/journal of everything we gave Kolby (food, enzymes, B12, antibiotics) and the amounts, then recording what the resulting poos looked like....I know, sounds crazy, but the poos tell you what you need to know about what is working and what isn't.  You can download a blank form from the  "downloads" tab above or just keep a notebook,   You will be amazed at the information that you get from that journal.   We would refer to it whenever we had questions or were going to the vet, or when things went wrong  .....or when they went right.  We still use it if Kolby has a setback or if we make a change of some kind.  

Finding the right food was a big challenge for us.  Some dogs do well on the first thing you try.  Kolby was picky and it  took quite a lot of trial and error until we found the right food.  We also struggled with SID/SIBO for quite a while.  Eventually, we put him on tylan for life.      And the final piece was the B12.   He did not start to gain weight until we found the best treatment  for his B12.  

So hang in there.  Ask any questions you have.....we have all been where you are, so all questions are welcome.  

Barb

--

November 10, 2017 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.