Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Quick Slippery Elm Question

Sparkle Tangerine

How often? We gave this to our foster cat who is vomiting and has had diarrhea over the past few days (veterinarian has not been able to find a cause thus far). She is much better. How often can I give this to her?

--

Montgomery (DSH orange tabby and white) was born on 21 March 2012. He was hand-raised from five days old and first developed EPI symptoms at eight days old. He was diagnosed in February of 2016.

Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten. He gets one cupful over six meals each day. He takes two size zero capsules of Pank-Aid enzymes with each meal. He gets one quarter teaspoonful Pet Kelp Probiotic once each day. He gets one size four capsule of Tylosin three times each day. He gets a B12 injection once a month. He is a whopping 4kg! He is fully furred and his skin looks awesome!

"The hardest to learn was the least complicated." - Emily Saliers

November 9, 2017 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lindak
Seb is used for diarrhea. I think people start with few drops (1-2) twice a day. If you buy a liquid product it is usually 1 drop per 10 pounds of animal. People with IBD cats uses it but for vomiting???? not sure if both vomiting and diarrhea I would think of blockage / toxicity hm.....
--

Linda & Mo ��

November 11, 2017 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Hello for us doggie owners we suggest the loose powder...i wasnt aware you could buy it as a liquid  uou can make it into a tea??  Maddie has 1/4 tsp per cup of food i think that this is less than the recommended dose which i think is 1/2tsp but she is a 35kg dog.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

November 12, 2017 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

you can give SLippery Elm for as many days as you want..... but what we ahve noticed is that usually a few days to a week solves the problem...HOwever, some people use it with dogs on an on-going basis (maintenance dose) to control acid too.

Slippery Elm is used for vomiting, diarrhea and constipation, stomach acid... and a lot of other things

the dose instructions for the powder for dogs is... and you can even cut these doses in half (which is what i would do for a cat).  BTW... i also did not know it came in a liquid form... jsut be careful of the strength.......:

Give provided Slippery Elm powder with breakfast and dinner meals. 1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs, ¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs, ½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs, 3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs, and 1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs. Mix in meal, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, mix and serve meal as you normally would. Incubating not necessary.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

November 12, 2017 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lindak
I like the liquid form for cats / easier to use , but if my dog needs it I would use powder. If you are buying liquid form, be careful it shouldn't contain alcohol , read the label carefully.
--

Linda & Mo ��

November 13, 2017 at 8:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.