Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Low fat Dog food

wolflove

Would it be ok to feed a 9 month old shepherd  and low fat dog food? The food brand is Annamaet Lean it is Grain Free and states its all life stage including large breed puppies and also dogs with pancreatis. it has 30% protein, Crude fat min 7% and max 9%  Cal 1.15% and Phos 0.945%

I was interestest in trying the lower fat to see if it would help with my pups stool. He's on Earthborn's Coastal Catch which is GF and also an all life stage food that is formulated for large breed pups ..it has 32% Protein 18% fat Cal 1.20% and phos 1.00%

November 13, 2017 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

As long as its less than 4% fiber it should be fine, but I guess my real question is why lower the fat? Fat is no longer considered an issue with an EPI dog, but fiber is.... Are you at or above goal weight? Or is it just poor stool?

Food is the hardest part of the EPI puzzle as we don't really know if there are allergies at play, foods intolerances, etc... If you're struggling with weight and pancreatitis hasn't been an issue, I think I'd start looking for limited ingredient diets rather than low fat, but that's just MHO and experience... If poor stool is your only issues I'd either change food, up the enzymes a bit, or look into SIBO, but again, that's my opinion and I'm not a vet...

Donna

November 13, 2017 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Like Donna asked why are  you  looking at low fat???People on here have used Annamet but normally when there dogs have a  another condition going on in fact the site owner did and her dog has diabetes.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

November 14, 2017 at 5:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator

You have mentioned pancreatitis, and I see you have 5 posts which I cant find, so I am bit bemused

can I ask has EPI been diagnosed ?

Jeanx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

November 14, 2017 at 8:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wolflove

Hi,

No my dog hasn't been diagnosed with EPI (I did the test from Enzyme Diana and he was in normal range so I tried to relax a bit..lol). I have spoken with my vet but she does not seem overly concerned at this point. He is on Tylan which helps and also a probiotic. I was just wondering about the Fat issue because of the soft stool, but I guess its the fiber I should really be looking at correct? The fiber in the Earthborn Coastal Catch is 4% I have been thinking about switching him to Zignatures Catfish which is 32% Protein 14.5% fat 3% Fiber 1.6% Cal and 1.4% Phos. Would this be a good choice? He is very high strung so I think sometimes his soft stool happens when he has alot to process with something new going on.

November 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Thanks for clarifying the recommendation on here are for EPI dogs...GSDS are prone to SIBO ( SID ) as a standalone condition which is Low b12 and high folate treated by Tylan and B12 or there could be a food sensitvity going on have you tried a single protein. source..also perhaps consider giving slippery elm ago along with the B12 from wonderlabs.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

November 14, 2017 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wolflove

I am going to switch to the Zignature's Catfish because it takes out alot of things that may cuz issues and I'm going to give the B12 along with his Tylan and see if that helps :)

And for his weight I believe he is good I would say he is about 75lbs...I can feel ribs easiliy but can not see them and I want to keep him lean for he is such a big puppy and I don't want him growing to fast. His coat is very shiney and soft also...so I would say he's getting the nutristion he needs just hate the soft stools.

November 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.