Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Bio Case Capsules

Audrey Blackman

Our 8 yr old sheltie has been recently diagnosed with EPI.  

His bloodwork was sent to Texas and came back positive.  His B 12 level was still in good shape so he was not given B 12 shots.

His stools never became bad but I could tell the food was not digested therefore the bloodwork was run and we found out he had EPI.  He also went from 23 lbs. down to 17 very quickly.  He began to turn around and eat his own stools which he had never ever done before.

Once starting him on the bio case he did better but was not eating well at all.  We were opening the capsules and spreading it on the food with warm water and some canned food.  Waited 20 minutes and feeding.  He was not eating it all.  Weight was not getting better but he was no longer losing weight either.  

He is fed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream dry.  I also am giving him a vitamin, pro and prebiotics, and his thyroid pill.  Also a B 12 pill as well.

Since he was not eating well, I began to give him the capsule 30 minutes before he eats.  He began cleaning his food up each feeding.  Is this correct?  To feed the meal 30 minutes after giving the capsule?

Thanks in advance!

Audrey Blackman

November 13, 2017 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Hi Audrey...well the proof of wether this is a good way or not is how are the poops and is he gaining weight???

Its not something we would recommend and if we get a difficult case  we normally suggest creon it what us humans use, we try stinky toppers to mask the smell we try using a flat plate..

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

November 14, 2017 at 5:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Audrey Blackman

Since I am new to this I was using human grade vitamin B 12 as a suppliment.  It improved his appitite and he began to eat normally again. 

He is still not gaining any but has not lost any weight.  His stools are solid but I can tell there is undigested food in it.  I have been giving him the capsule 1/2 hour before feeding.  

Breaking open the capsule and spreading/mixing into his food did not do well for him due to he did not want to eat the food.  I was mixing in some can food to make it more tempting as well.

SO.....the question I had above was should I give the capsule with the food or continue to give it 1/2 hour before feeding?  Would giving him three meals per day be better than the two?

Thanks in advance.

Audrey Blackman

November 14, 2017 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Audrey Blackman

Forgot to add his TLI reading was 1.4 so he did have a very low reading.  Also his folic acid level was low.  B 12 was OK.

Was not sure if that is a help or not.

Thanks!

November 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
Audrey, the B12 of an EPI dog needs to be in the upper normal range and preferrably remain there. Also lower than optimal B12 will cause agression, fearfullness and inappetance. What was tbe B12 result? You might need the Tamu protocol to get it up there. The protocol can be found up above on the EPI tab cli k B12. It consists of a series of shots to get the level up then you can supplement with oral B12 but must contain the intrinsic factor. You can give the shots at home if that is better. Ann had some good information but just my opinion I would get tbe B12 up there if it was just ok.
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

November 14, 2017 at 9:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Audrey Blackman

Still not getting a direct answer to my questions of the capsule being given 1/2 hr before or right at feeding time.  Is this OK?  We do not have B 12 issues at this time.  I have however on advice of this forum ordered the B 12 pills from Wonderlabs.  It sounds like this would be better than the human grade B 12 I am using with him now.

But an answer to the Bio Case V capsules given near or at feeding time would be appreciated.

November 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
The Bio Case enzyme capsules would be most effective opened up, sprinkled on the dry food, a tad room temp water added, stir and let incubate 15 mins. Tben sprinkle with parmesan cheese or tuna water or another smelly topper. Stir and serve to your dog. Problem with the capsules given whole premeal is that alot of the enzymes are deactivated or killed by the stomach acid. Even though your dog does not bave a B12 issue at this time I would still appreciate the results if you have them. The more information we have the better we can help. Thanks.
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

November 14, 2017 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Important info......go to top orange .....see  EPI  click on B12 for info......Here is some info I copied for you ... you can read the rest yourself.....B12 has to have the intrinsic factor in it to help your dog to digest its food.....

B12 levels in EPI dogs need to be in the normal upper-mid range level... normal or low-normal is not sufficient!

In general, over-the-counter B12 pills tend not to work well. However, B12 pills that have the intrinsic factor included tend to work very well at increasing the B12 levels in most EPI dogs. Although the intrinsic factor is needed to transport "digested" B12 into the blood stream, supposedly the intrinsic factor delivery system should not typically be damaged by EPI, and supposedly (according to old research) intrinsic factor should be species specific- -HOWEVER- -it has been observed that when a B12 pill includes the intrinsic factor the success rate is extremely high. Recent research suggests that B12 pills at very high doses without intrinsic factor may work, however we have also observed failures with oral B12 if the intrinsic factor, even when not species specific, is not included. Since we cannot identify which dogs need the intrinsic factor and which don't, Epi4Dogs stance is when giving oral B12, we suggest giving B12 pills with intrinsic factor included, until further research gives us a better understanding of the B12 process in the dog. In the USA, Wonderlabs Pet Factor B12

Hope this helps some.  My dog get B12 with intrinsic factor twice a day ..one at each meal.  The reading should be 600+  

November 14, 2017 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.