Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Recently diagnosed, flea, tick, heart worm preventatives???

Juliec
My 5 year old German Shepherd/lab mix hazel was just diagnosed with EPI 5 days ago. I am overwhelmed right now trying to figure out everything we need to do to get her back into good health. Luckily, she doesn¬?t seem as bad off as some I ve read about. She¬?s down to 56 pounds from 62 pounds. My very experienced vet knew right away what the issue was and we started enzyme powder. I have already seen some improvement in her stool, but still doesn¬?t look ¬?normal¬?. My questions are many and I realize a lot of figuring out what works best is trial and error. My top question right now is about treating her for heartworm and flea/tick prevention. She is due for a round of sentinal spectrum and simparica tomorrow. Does anybody know if she can still take these oral preventatives? Do I mix them in with the food when I add the enzyme powder? Also, we did not start antibiotics. My vet said wait and see her response to the enzyme powder first. Is this typical treatment?
January 7, 2018 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele
Administrator

Hello and welcome to you and Hazel.  It sounds like you found a wonderful vet!!! If you have not already done so, please check out the Quick Guide, it will cover the basics on managing EPI.  The 4 components in the Quick Guide are really the basics you need to manage.

Has your vet checked Hazel's B12? As you will see from the Quick Guide EPI dogs do best in the 600+ range, "normal" is not good enough.

Also, many of us purchase our enzymes from Enzyme Diane www.enzymediane.com - she is a HUGE cost savings and I can't imagine what I would have done had it not been for her.  

As far as your particular meds, I am not personally familiar with them but what I would do is throw them in the food right before you feed your pup (after the food has incubated).  That is my suggestion, but lets see if anyone else feels differently.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  There is no black and white when managing EPI - every dog is different and it may take a tweaking in the beginning but you will get there and there are always people here to help.  My best to you and Hazel.

--

Michele

Jackie (10/15/08 - 11/8/15) - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   TOTW High Prarie, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   Victor Hero Grain Free, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor 3 x's weekly, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

*I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is solely from my experience as an EPI dog owner. It is recommended that anything shared or suggested on this forum be discussed with your pet's vet.*

January 7, 2018 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paige's Guardian

I am not familiar with those particular preventatives BUT would think it would depend on the condition of your dog.  Some EPI dogs when first diagnosed are underweight or are not in the best condition.   So, if that is the case, then I would call your vet in the morning to make sure it is ok to give those preventatives.  There have been times when a dog of mine was ill, underweight or otherwise and it was not advised to vaccinate or provide any preventatives.  We skipped the preventatives and when the dog was healthy did a heartworm test before restarting the Heartguard. 

I do not give flea and tick preventatives.  My dogs have been to the dog park for years with no fleas or ticks.  I do live in AZ so, I would guess that not much can survive in this heat. 

January 7, 2018 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi and welcome to our EPI family.  You said the vet knew that it was EPI, was Hazel actually tested for EPI through a blood test?  If so, if you could post the TLI, B12 and Folate results that will help us be able to offer suggestions.  What enzymes are you using and how are you preparing them?

With regard to the poop, if this is EPI it could be the amount of enzymes you are using - we recommend 1tsp per cup of kibble.  It could also be the food - we recommend grain free 4% fiber or less.  Or it could be that you are dealing with SID/SIBO in which case you will need a 45 day course of Tylan.

With regard to the monthly meds, I'm familiar with sentinel but not the other - if the other is flea/tick - I personally give my heartworm meds two weeks away from my flea/tick meds - that way they're not getting all those chemicals at once.  I did not skip any doses.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

January 7, 2018 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Juliec

Doc's Mom at January 7, 2018 at 8:02 PM

Hi and welcome to our EPI family.  You said the vet knew that it was EPI, was Hazel actually tested for EPI through a blood test?  If so, if you could post the TLI, B12 and Folate results that will help us be able to offer suggestions.  What enzymes are you using and how are you preparing them?

With regard to the poop, if this is EPI it could be the amount of enzymes you are using - we recommend 1tsp per cup of kibble.  It could also be the food - we recommend grain free 4% fiber or less.  Or it could be that you are dealing with SID/SIBO in which case you will need a 45 day course of Tylan.

With regard to the monthly meds, I'm familiar with sentinel but not the other - if the other is flea/tick - I personally give my heartworm meds two weeks away from my flea/tick meds - that way they're not getting all those chemicals at once.  I did not skip any doses.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure I went about posting this the correct way, so I do appreciate the response.  It's nice to know there are others who have been through this and are doing ok.  

Hazel was not tested.  The doctor was pretty confident in the diagnosis and said it would be cheaper to buy the enzymes and treat her and see if she improves than to do the test which he said is expensive and sometimes inconclusive.  We go back next week (which will be 2 weeks into enzymes) to see where to go from here.  Her poop was/is improving, but then tonight, she had a more normal poop, then immediately after that and right next to it had a splat poop; a fairly large one.  So I don't know what to think.  The vet's going to love this, but I took pictures to show him!

The enzyme I am using is PancreVed powder by Vedco.  I have been using 1 tsp on 1 cup of her food.  She is eating blue buffalo life protection chicken and brown rice dry dog food.  I think her food is 6% fiber.  The vet did not say to change her food yet.  He seemed to want to try the enzymes for a couple weeks and go from there.  

I called the vet's office today and they said to go ahead and give the flea/tick and heartworm meds same as I used to.  No need to treat it with the enzymes, they said.  

So when I see the vet next week, it sounds like I should ask him about antibiotics and B12 shots?  Anything else?  Also, planning on getting enzymes from Diane's Enzymes from now on.  What about beef pancreas?  I've read some about that but I think we need to get her stabilized first.  Any information is appreciated.  I am completely overwhelmed and lost right now.  

--
January 8, 2018 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.