Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Hello All

Branjo

Hi guys, I can't say i'm happy I had to join the forum but you know what I mean, its just good to have a specific resource at hand.

My American Akita has been losing weight recently since she turned 1. She was 64lbs before this all started and now she is 54.5 and I was at my wits end until my vet on the last visit said it could be EPI.

She has just gone for the CLI test this morning and I will get the results in 2 - 4 days.

It started with constant "cow pat" stools and she was also very very gassy, it was explosive at one point when she would poop.

I didn't think much of it as I have had husky's that get bouts of the runs when ever they eat something new. I started to get worried after a solid month of loose to runny stools, which made me change her food from Blue Buffalo large breed Salmon to Taste of the wild pacific stream. I had hoped it was just a bug or reaction to the food as I had been getting it from Amazon and the pellets rarely looked the same.

So I started getting her food from Chewy.com via some Amazon reviwers calling into question that the storage in Amazons warehouses leaves a lot to be desired, and that Chewy.com make sure every batch is stored as it should be. However even though the food is better she still has the "cow pat" like stools for over 3 months now.

She has had 3 vet visits since this all started and each time the fecal test came back negative which made me more and more concerned it was something internal. On the last visit the doc mentioned EPI and after a little reading she seems to check all those boxes, but what do I know really. I hate googling symptoms because you stress yourself out with all the things it could be ya know?

So as I said she has had blood work done and here is the links to the results, I will post the CLI results when I get them so the pros can tell me whats up.

I love my girl very much and will do everything in my means to give her the best quality of life I can. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

Branjo.

EDIT: Almost forgot the links

https://ibb.co/bXoLSR

https://ibb.co/fzN3gm

January 9, 2018 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Hello and welcome!

I love Akitas and for many years, they were my best friends constant companion. :)

First off, kuddos to your vet for thinking outside the box and suspecting EPI! And for a breed other than a GSD! Do you know if your vet tested for B12 and folate? Deficient B12 and SIBO often go hand in hand with EPI.

Do tell us the results and we will happily help you on your journey! Keep a log as it will save your sanity and if you want a quick start, please look at enzymediane.com.  Her enzymes are the real deal and about 1/3 the cost of the ones your vet is probably going to try sell you.

Donna

January 9, 2018 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Judith

Hi 

Sorry you are going through this. I noticed a few things about her blood work, liver values are high, platelets are low along with chlosterol and triglycerides. I'm wondering if she has had any ticks on her and if you have ruled out tick borne illnesses such as lymes disease and erhlichia

Just a thought. Please post the cTLI results when you get them

--

Nate 2 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi. DOB 5/5/2014 

EPI and Addison's Disease and Idopathic Epilepsy

TLi 2.1 June 13, 2016 TLi 2.0

Coblamin and folate could not be done

Clinically diagnosed with Addison's disease on June 23, 2016

Diet 1.25 cup Royal Canin Ultamino every 12 hours 

2 Chemeyes capsules given with each meal

.45ml hydroxocobalamin (B12) once a week

.33ml Percorten-V every 28 days Addison's Disease

.5mg prednisolone in the morning for Addison's Disease

100mg Zonisamide every 12 hours for seizures

January 9, 2018 at 10:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi,  Until you get the results in from the TLI test to see if your dog infact has EPI.  Look up along the orange line above and  go to "Downloads"  click and then click on "EPI Quick Guides" this will give you some idead of what you to look for and do for an EPI.  At least you won't be just wondering what needs to be done.  This will give you a good start.

Make sure you have your dogs B12 tested  it must be 600+  not a normal reading because an EPI dogs B12 level needs to be above normal always.

Looking forward to hear about the outcome of the tests and know if it is EPI your dog can live and have a good life. It can all work out.  You seem to love your dog and have a kind heart.  You can work it.    

January 9, 2018 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Branjo
Thank you so much guys, its really great having this kind of knowledge base at a time like this. No, my vet didn't test for B12 and folate, they did only the bare minimum on her insurance to be honest. When I go to pick up her results in a few days I will make an appointment to have her B12 and folate tested too. Does the B12 have to be in the form of a shot or can they be given orally, I have a ton of the B12 gummies my son takes in the morning, would that have any effect at all in the mean time? Thank you for the encouragement guys, means a lot. By hook or by crook I will get my girl in tip top condition.
January 10, 2018 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Unfortunately, gummies won't work... You need either injections of B12 with intrinsic factor for absorption...

Check out the B12 tab above for more info.

Donna

January 10, 2018 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi Branjo......Go to the top (orange) click on EPI and scroll down to B12 read some there.  And no gummies are not going to do the trick.

I give my dog B12 in a capsule form place it in her bowl twice a day and she eats it right up with her food. No problem there.

You can purchase the B12 with intrinsic factor (why intrinsic factor because that is what is needed to help with your EPI's digestion process).   You can get it at www.wonderlab.com  It cost $17 and they deliver it real fast. 

You can use that and then after a couple of weeks have your dogs B12 tested again to make sure it is going up.

January 10, 2018 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Branjo
That's good news, I thought with the shots it would have to be a vet that administered them, but if she can take the pill form that's great. I had found the enzymediane site a few days ago and thank you for the link to the type of B12 I will need. I'll keep you guys posted with any updates and the results of the cli test, fingers crossed.
January 10, 2018 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Branjo

Well I just got the results and they have confirmed it is indeed EPI.

Results were TLI <1.0 ug/L

So I am going to put an order into enzymediane.com for the enzymes and another order for the "intrinsic B12" at wonderlab.com (thank you for that Marylin)

Its such a great relief to me just knowing, now I can get her back on track.

Thank you all for the wonderful support and I will keep you all informed about Luna's progress, so that others in my situation can see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Branjo :)

January 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Good now you know what your dog is dealing with.  Just take it slow and easy and make sure you come back here for any help.  Write things down that you do everyday for your dog so that you don't have to try and remember from day to day this will be a big help to you.  Get a good dog food and take your time.  Don't expect everything to work out all at once. Know that your dogs body is going through a lot and needs time.   Don't for get to go over the info (orange top) on "Downloads" click and then read and the corner stones you need to be aware of .... click on "EPI Quick Guides"   

Praying for the best for you and your furbaby..... Keep track of the poop....here we call ourselves poopoligists lol ....That is the way to know things are working well.  Know also that sometimes a stressful situation can cause a loose poop but it will work out..........take care   

January 11, 2018 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yeshe the tibetian

Marilyn Marinelli at January 11, 2018 at 6:57 PM

Good now you know what your dog is dealing with.  Just take it slow and easy and make sure you come back here for any help.  Write things down that you do everyday for your dog so that you don't have to try and remember from day to day this will be a big help to you.  Get a good dog food and take your time.  Don't expect everything to work out all at once. Know that your dogs body is going through a lot and needs time.   Don't for get to go over the info (orange top) on "Downloads" click and then read and the corner stones you need to be aware of .... click on "EPI Quick Guides"   

Praying for the best for you and your furbaby..... Keep track of the poop....here we call ourselves poopoligists lol ....That is the way to know things are working well.  Know also that sometimes a stressful situation can cause a loose poop but it will work out..........take care   

We are recent diagnosis for EPI.  We have been on enzymes only 7 days.  This forum has been fantastic.  I did print the chart, to keep tract of  everything I’m doing.  Has helped greatly.  Our tibetian is 3 yo and had a TDI of 1.3.  Her weight had gone from 33 lbs to 19.  I took her to vet for weight  yesterday and she’s up 3 1/2 lbs.   I’m starting to decrease her metronidazole dose now.   When your pup starts to come back up, you won’t believe the difference.  The people on the forums are such a help. Her stool is where it should be, and seems the volume is alittle less.  I have had the best luck with  starting 4 small meals, going down to 3 now.  Eating lighter in the evening,seems to keep me from taking her out in the middle of the night.  Your pup is lucky to have a great care giver.  Stick with it, you’ll be pleased with the results.

January 12, 2018 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi Branjo.  I'm so sorry your pup has EPI, but this is the best place to get the most current information on managing EPI and EPI research.  The daily journal will become your bible - it will help you figure out what works and what doesn't - I'm almost 3 years in and still record every poop, every medication, etc.  It has even helped me figure out allergies etc. 

There are four cornerstones to managing EPI: enzymes (recommended starting dose is 1tsp per cup of kibble, mix in luke warm water and incubate for 20-30 minutes); B12 (sounds like you've got the WonderLab - start with 1 pill per day - do you have the B12 test results so you know where you are starting?); Antibiotics (if dealing with SID/SIBO a 45 day course of Tylan is recommended); and food (grain free with 4% fiber or less and feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be in small meals throughout the day until they gain the weight back).

Please know that we are all here to help you on this journey!

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

January 12, 2018 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.