Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Help! Our dog won't eat food with the enzymes!

Bee

Hi. Our dog MaGraw was finally just diagnosed with EPI. We finally just got the Enzymes in the mail and I felt so much relief, because he is so thin, lethargic, and hardly could get up off his bed. I had hoped that by having the nessesary enzymes for his food he would get better, but I have yet to be able to get him to eat any of his food with the added enzymes. We have the generic powder that goes on the food and you add warm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes according to the directions. I have tried wet food, I tried his kibble, I tried chicken broth, and I tried putting pieces of chicken and putting them on the bottom and mixed in and he just moves the rest of the food around until he gets the chicken pieces or he won't eat it at all! I feel so frustrated and helpless because it took awhile to get him diagnosed, it took awhile to get the enzymes in the mail, and now even with the enzymes he won't eat! Is there any ideas or anything I can try to get him to eat? 

January 10, 2018 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yeshe the tibetian

Bee at January 10, 2018 at 4:07 PM

Hi. Our dog MaGraw was finally just diagnosed with EPI. We finally just got the Enzymes in the mail and I felt so much relief, because he is so thin, lethargic, and hardly could get up off his bed. I had hoped that by having the nessesary enzymes for his food he would get better, but I have yet to be able to get him to eat any of his food with the added enzymes. We have the generic powder that goes on the food and you add warm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes according to the directions. I have tried wet food, I tried his kibble, I tried chicken broth, and I tried putting pieces of chicken and putting them on the bottom and mixed in and he just moves the rest of the food around until he gets the chicken pieces or he won't eat it at all! I feel so frustrated and helpless because it took awhile to get him diagnosed, it took awhile to get the enzymes in the mail, and now even with the enzymes he won't eat! Is there any ideas or anything I can try to get him to eat? 

Hi, we’re new also.  Although I know that the pups need the recommended dose, I saw us going down the same path. Our tibetian would put all the food on the floor and shake her head.  I have had the best luck with mixing it with room temp canned, let it sit however I gave her half a teaspoon, instead of one teaspoon and fed her  4 x a day.  She was up for that as they are so hungry anyway.  I understand the enzymes are caustic, but the on line info says they get used to it.  Keep trying, we started Saturday with Viokase-v, ( our vet wanted to start with that ) until Yeshe’s weight is back up. She is an absolutely different dog.  She had gone so far down,we thought we were going to loose her.  Feeding more often actually began the move uphill.  As the seasoned forum folks say 150% of food, I just did a slight calculation on what she needed for four meals and broke it down.  Don’t give up,you’ll get there.  Her stool is back to normal, she’s up all day and yippeee sleeping all night.

January 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi, See top (orange)  Go to "Downloads" click and then click on "EPI Quick Guides"  this will  help you to get an over all picture of what needs to be done for an EPI dog. 

How is your dogs B12 level it has to be 600+ not a normal amount it need to be up for an EPI dog.There is some help with B12 with intrinsic factor that you can purchase for your dog from www.wonderlab.com  It cost about $17  I give my dog one at each meal (that's two meals a day).  The intrinsice factor in the B12 vitamin is  needed to help with the digestion of an EPI dog.

Don't keep changing foods it can cause upsets.  Try and stick with one.... I use Earthborn great plaines feast there are other that are good for EPI dogs as well.  Chicken and rice can upset a number of EPI dogs. 

Go to the top Orange area again and click on EPI and skim through some of the info there.  You are your dogs helper and need to know as much as you can about this medical problem

DON'T GIVE UP...I don't think you will.  You just are getting started but it will all work out as you take time, learn, have patience.  All of us felt furstrated at first but you will see it will work out.

Others I am sure will try and help you through this time.  It will work out and you will be alright.  

January 10, 2018 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

One other thing if the enzymes you are using don't work out there is always an alternative  ... Creon that is used for people with this problem that can be purchased from Chemist Warehouse.  Just to let you know there is hope.  

January 10, 2018 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paige's Guardian

Sorry to hear your pup is being so picky now that you actually know what is wrong and have the fix.....enzymes.  I have been lucky that my girl will eat her enzymes mixed in freeze dried dog food (Grandma lucy's).  There is no way to pick anyting out but I have 5 dogs and they all eat like it's their last meal.  If they don't eat, we run them to the vet ASAP. 

You can try freeze dried dog food or something I use with my other Dane is Freshpet refrigerated food.  I take a small amount and warm it up.  I add a little warm water to it and mix in her powdered medicine (Tylan).  Then, I add her dry kibble.  She gobbles it up.

If nothing really works to get your pup to eat, the powdered enzymes can be placed in gelatin capsules.  You give the capsules prior to giving him his dog food.  Olesia or Madelon can provide more specific info on timing and capsule size. 

January 10, 2018 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.