Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Weight loss in treated EPI dog

Sherry

It's been a little while since I last posted.  Have a question I can't find a ready answer to.  Maddie has been diagnosed EPI and she has been on enzymes from Diane for a couple years now, I think.   She is losing weight again and acting hungry all the time again.

I added Milkweed suppliment, Plaque Off suppliment for teeth and the antibiotic for SIBO recently in amounts indicated for her weight.  I had her in for a checkup in January and things were fine except for B12.  Vet ordered three B12 shots to be given 2 wks apart, so we did that.  Vet also said results showed SIBO again, but he has never advised or prescribed antibiotics for her. A very sweet EPI4dogs member sent me the antibiotic needed to combat the SIBO after first diagnosis and recently I heard a lot of digestive noises coming from Maddie and began giving her the antibiotic again.  The story is in the poop, but the poop seems to be a good color and looking normal. 

I have the suppliment to give her B12 with Intrinsic Factor, but haven't started that yet.  Do I stop the Milkweed and Plaque Off suppliments, start the B12 with Intrinsic factor? I'm at a loss.  I don't want to upset the delicate balance of this disease, but this weight loss is something I haven't encountered since she was diagnosed.  She hasn't lost more than a pound or two, but it's enough to cause concern and make her collar looser.  I am ready to take her back in and get retested, but wanted to hear from the forum to see what ya'll think.

Maddie's mom

February 12, 2018 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paige's Guardian

It sounds like you have her back on an antibiotic, is that correct?  And, have you started the B12 intrinsic factor?  If not, probably good to either keep up with the injections or capsules.   She should be in the high range for B12 when retested.  And, antibiotic, if Tylan, should be a 6-weeek course of treatment. Check out the SID/SIBO tab at the top of the page.  You can print that info out for your vet. 

I am not familiar with the supplements that you are giving her so, not sure what to say.....but others will likely chime in. 

February 13, 2018 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hello we have something in common...the name oh yes and EPI...over the years as they age we sometimes have to increase the enzymes just by a pinch to get them back on track that can be the cause of the SIBO...and b12 well we gave that for life everyday otherwise Maddie would loose weight. So try a small increase in enzymes 1/8th and see how that goes.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

February 13, 2018 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator
One of the biggest issues of SIBO/SID IS that it depletes any cobalamin b12 that the animal may have as reserve through injections etc , therefore you need to address it ASAP , the antibiotic if choice here is Tylan and it is dosed by the digs weight, see the downloads at the top of the page, I think you can get it on line in the States, let us know how it goes
--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

February 13, 2018 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Bin

Hello Sherry....agree with what is written here.  As our dogs have aged they need a bit more enzyme so I would start by increasing enzymes by 1/8th teaspoon.  Taiko's poop has always been perfect (pretty much) so I can't go on that but weight gain/loss, etc. is more telling for her...you may have the same issue.  Is your pup acting hungry?  May also need a bit more food...have you made any changes in the food lately?

--

Terry

Mom of three EPI Shiloh Shepherds: 

Pharaoh born Nov. 2007 and dx with epi December 2009.   Pharaoh weighed 62.4 lbs. (15 lb. weight loss) when diagnosed in 12/2009.

Weight 10/31/11 was 76.6; 85lbs on 9/22/12; 85.5 lbs. on 11/13/14.

Received six weeks of B12 shots Jan-Feb 2010 but his B12 on 8/10/2010 was only 232. So started weekly shots at home, which we continue to give. 

His older half sister is Taiko born Sept. 2006  and was dx with epi June 2010.  Since she has severe bilateral hip dysplasia she had always been on the thin side.  Taiko's weight was 70.7 lbs. in June 2010 (time of diagnosis; about a 10 lb. weight loss).

Weight on 10/31/11 was 80.4 and on 9/22/12 was 82.4 lbs.  Weight 11/13/14 was 83 lbs.  B12 was 211 in June 2010 so started six weeks of shots and was only 293 on 8/10/10.  She receives B12 shots weekly at home.  B12 in September 2014 was over 1,000.

Both are fed twice a day and we use Merrick BG brand: 1 1/2  cups kibble in the morning with 1/2 can dog food with 4 crushed tablets and in the evening 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups kibble with 1/2 can dog food  with 4 crushed tablets. 

Moku was born 4/15/14 does not have epi.  His grandfather is Taiko's and Pharaoh's father (through his mother).  On 11/05/14 his weight was 78 lbs, on 12/11/14 he was 85.7 and on his first birthday 15 April 2015: 90.2 lbs.

February 13, 2018 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi Sherry - the first thing I was going to suggest is increasing the enzymes a tad.  We have found over that some EPI dogs as they age need just a tad bit more enzymes.  So I would suggest as Terry did to increase 1/8tsp and see how the poops look.  As for the B12, do you know what the level was?  I would go ahead and start the pills with Intrinsic factor as long as there is no underlying medical issues where too much B12 is bad, they will pee out the extra.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

February 13, 2018 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sherry

Thanks for all the replys EPI members:)  I had thought about extra enzymes and started heaping the 1/2 tsp of enzymes a bit.  This morning before we left she pooped and it was lighter, golden brown, but still formed.  I bought the Vit B12 with intrinsic factor awhile ago and have just never given it.  My bottle is capsules, so not sure if that's how it comes or if I ordered the wrong thing.  I bought a micro scale for the antibiotic,which is Tylan, so can probably use that to dosage properly for the B12.  I just hope my micro scale has that particular weight sign on it, because I have no idea what unit of measure the funny little U next to a small g stands for, and it isn't on my keyboard anywhere:)   We are on week 3 of the Tylan right now.

I took the results from the last lab to my local vet and didn't think to make a copy of it, so I don't know how low her B12 was.  Thank you for giving specific info so I know what I'm looking for.  You all should get a certificate for doggie chemistry;)  My daughter the Bio-Chemist did not get her math and science gene from me!  I do think the Vit B12 is probably the answer.

I'm also extremely interested in the results of what causes EPI in the study going on now.  We moved to a place where the owner had been dumping oil, gas, chemicals for 30 years.  We didn't know this when we moved here, and most of the places he dumped are covered in gravel.  We think the toxic stuff here may have set Maddie off on getting EPI.  Or the shock of the move or both.  She's a high strung Poodle/Pomeranian.

On the food front, we feed her an amount she rarely eats in one day, so she is getting enough to eat. On days when she seems she is hungry again in the evening, we will make up a 1/2 batch of food for her.  I did realize that possibly her food wasn't warm enough for the enzymes to work since we were adding refidgerated canned dog food to her dry food with some water and leaving it on a warming area for the 20 minutes.  Then I recently started heating the canned food & water before adding the dry food and enzymes. Have to look up safe and unsafe temps for the enzymes.  Yeast is same way - make the water too hot and the yeast won't rise.

Thanks again for all the advise.  Calling the vet and asking just isn't the same as asking this forum - unless the vet has treated a lot of EPI, they don't know what all of you know.  What's really cool is that all of you are like me in that we research the problem to infinite details to understand the disease and have the knowledge to understand the vet when they make suggestions.  Since my vet has never suggested antibiotics for Maddie when the SIBO has been present, even when asked about it, I have taken advise from this forum and administered it to her.  Some things don't get better when treated only on one portion of the problem. So, again, thank you all.

Sherry (Maddie's mom)

February 14, 2018 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi Sherry,  If you dog's B12 is low I would start using the B12 you bought. "Vit B12 with intrinsic factor awhile ago and have just never given it. My bottle is capsules, so not sure if that's how it comes or if I ordered the wrong thing"

The capsules are fine.  I have used this for almost 7 years and has kept my dogs B12 level nice and high and works well. I give my dog two a day one at each meal in with her food.  

February 14, 2018 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sherry
I increased enzymes to a heaping 1/2 tsp and haven't seen a noticeable difference in her except for one thing. She has been gagging to spit up, but never does. Sometimes a little cough with it. 2 nights ago she couldn't sit or lay still, kept jumping up and moving to different places still keeping close to me. Then I noticed her almost groaning, like she was in constant pain. The gagging was almost constant so I looked up online several different pet sites and gave her 1/2 of a Tums. It seemed to calm everything down. I don't know what was causing this gagging until I read on some else's post a few minutes ago about when stopping Tylan regurgitation was a sign of SIBO still. I had stopped the Tylan because hubby wasn't putting it in her meals on a regular basis. Maybe I should start it again? Her vet has never wanted to put her on antibiotic for the SIBO, I felt it was something she needed. He's a specialty vet, but I'm still educating him about EPI4dogs.com and feel that this group is a highly skilled bunch of EPI parents who I trust. I still want to take her in again and see if something new has cropped up. And that leads to my next question about the B12 capsules with intrinsic factor.... Maddie weighs around 6-8 lbs. I have been giving her 1/4 of a capsule per meal. Does anyone know for sure what the dosage is? I ha v e a microscale to measure her Tylan dose. Also, how soon should we see a difference with the B12, when given proper dosage? I didn't notice any difference in her with the B12 shots. This is off subject, but has anyone here had any experience with the cold laser light therapy or light pads for animals? Thank you all for being here. Sherry
February 28, 2018 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

The heaving can indicate SIBO so personally i would try to stick to a course of tylan and also train your husband.....it needs to be given twice daily with food..the other option is to use slippery elm but the sibo sounds like it has got a grip so i would do a full course of tyaln for 45 days and then wean the dose down gradually and then perhaps use the SE daily to keep SIBO at bay , with the B12 personally unless there is another condtion going on one capsule a day to start with for 2 weeks then drop down to one every other day they pee out any excess B12 so it wont hurt trying to measure B12 out would be a nighmare.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

February 28, 2018 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sherry

Maddie Ann,

Thanks for replying.  I hadn't been giving the Tylan but once a day - so upping that to 2 a day would do some serious hurt to the SIBO:)  I should probably not start the B12 at same time as the Tylan, but start it a week later just in case there is a reaction to one or the other of the meds.  I will let you know if I notice a change either way.  Poor little fur babies.  

Sherry

February 28, 2018 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hi Sherry the tylan needs to be dosed in accordance to Maddie weight i am posting a link to the page so you can check the dose and it should be given twice daily at meal time...with the B12 there shouldnt be any re-action in gving both togther...its normally what we recommend.

--

ANN (UK).

March 1, 2018 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi Sherry.  Yes you need the Tylan twice a day - 12hrs apart - with morning and dinner meals.  You really need to start the B12 pills right away - if you don't get the B12 levels up it is difficult to deal with SIBO - it's a viscious cycle where SIBO depletes the B12 and then by the B12 being low it allows the SIBO to continue.  As for administering the B12 pill - if your dog takes pills easily you can just drop it in the food or give with a dollop of cream cheese or pill pocket.  Please keep us posted on how things go.

--

Nashville, Tennessee

2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 1, 2018 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sherry
Just a note to report progress. I started the Tylan and that has taken care of the gagging for the most part. Need to figure out how to get Tylan administered twice a day, thinking I might try mixing it with peanut butter, filling capsules....I looked for a picture of a capsule filling machine in another part of forum and either my Kindle won't open it, or it's been disabled by aliens. The little blue box that shows up where a photo is supposed to be is there. I can look it up if I know who makes it. Other thought I had was using the pill pockets for the Tulane in powder form. Maddie has been on Royal Canine prescription dog food for about 5 years due to urine crystals. When we got her she had a string of urinary tract infections. Our old fashioned Dr. put her on the prescription diet and things have been good , except for getting EPI. He said it was fine to feed both dogs same food. Since EPI, I started using some canned dog food too to make the enzymes more palatable. Today, with the Tulane dose doubled in her food, she hardly ate any of it. Was feeding 1/2 in the a.m. & other half in p.m. Didn't work. 1. She seems to like to eat just one meal a day, 2. She noticed the Tylan and didn't eat much at all. So this tells me creativity is needed, hence the peanut butter, pill pockets. Her B12 the new bottle I ordered hasn't arrived yet, but I've increased amount in capsules I do have. The prescription diet fiber is 4.7 which may be too high for her right now. We've been feeding same food, incubated for 20 minutes everyday for a year or more, but something has upset her system. I need advise if anyone has any on what I can feed Miss Maddie Mae now? A person Dr. wrote down something she started giving her dog with same problem, when the prescription food started getting too costly, she had a big dog:) Have to look it up and talk to vet about it, but my specialty vet is way behind on his EPI & SID information. Wanted me to put her on a less than 4% fat diet, I read the recommendations given by the researchers, and will trust them and y'all and not feed her a low fat diet. Lower fiber, more coconut oil, B12 capsules, all things derived from EPI4dog parents I've read on here. Than you all for being here. This journey is a rare one and if I had to solely rely on my specialized vet, Miss Maddie Mae would have been in more serious hurt than she is now. We are indebted to your empathy, knowledge, and kindness. Not to leave out your dedication to our pets. If anyone has any more suggestions I'm all ears. Have a great night, sleep well. S
March 4, 2018 at 3:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hi Sherry some people make a little pill pocket with some cream cheese to mask the tylan because  its bitter...and tylan needs to be given with food so the 2nd feed is a problem...however i am dealing with SIBO in a non epi dog and he was funny about his food until i got the antibotics working properly so now he is even asking for his 2nd feed which may be something that Maddie is going through..,,perhaps try cutting the morning feed down and giving some nice topper that will not upset the urine cyrstals...i am sorry that the link to the pilling machine doesnt work its the platform that we used to use on the forum that is no longer avaiable that prevent the link working i will see if i can find another link that will post.

--

ANN (UK).

March 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
Hi. You can go to Amazon.com and look up capsule filling machine. There are gel capsules also for putting the tylan, etc... in.
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

March 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sherry
I went to YouTube to see how the capsule filling machine worked after seeing the "machine" on Amazon. Have to decide what size capsules she needs. When I measure it out on my micro scale, it's a tiny amount. Knew I should have gotten those micro measuring spoon sets:) I'm thinking that by not adding the Tylan in her food, she will eat it more often, I won't eat bitter food. Tried making my own Lime Marmalade last year - it was so bitter, the whole batch had to be tossed. Gives one a profound memory of bitter. Rose 's Lime marmalade for me from Amazon, and capsules for poor Maddie. She's sick, Hungary & thinks I'm trying to poison her. Had no idea the Tylan was bitter. Maddie thanks you ahead of time.
--
March 4, 2018 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator

hi there. you can likely get do it yourself brain surgery on YouTube

http://www.epi4dogs.com/sidsibo.htm

this is from the tabs at the top of the forum, just scroll down to filling capsules

let us know how it goes, but also look at the chart for dosing tylan 1/2 way down

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

March 4, 2018 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sherry
Update on Maddie. Yesterday we came home from church to fin her holding up a front paw. Further inspection noted a sewing needle on the couch. Suspecting I left the needle and forgot about it, immediately felt horrible. Soaked her foot twice in Epsom salts and by bedtime she was putting some weight on it, but it took her appetite away completely, which threw off dosing of the Tylan. She is holding out for the food without enzymes that I put the capsule it, a 1/4 tsp & a 1/2 tsp I hide the pill in. My border collie wasn't this manipulative with her food! I am giving the B12 in food with enzymes, but it will be a while before we see an improvement at this rate. May have to try cream cheese to hide the Tylan. Her skin is getting flaky, so I'm thinking a food with added oils may be good. The vet has placed an order for some of the Aging Brain food from Science Diet for my other dog, and it might not hurt Maddie either with the extra Omega fats, and special blend of supplements. This food has shown to improve cognition in older dogs starting to show signs of dementia. With so many dog food recalls lately I'm afraid to try anything on Maddie other than what she's taking, which seems to not be doing too well with her. Any ideas?
March 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi Sherry.  Don't beat yourself up about the sewing needle - things happen and it was an accident.Before switching foods, be sure to check if it falls in line with EPI guidelines of grain free and 4% fiber or less.  It took me a year to find the right food for Doc - mostly because of his allergies but I also figured out he needs the lowest fiber possible.  Yes some pups unfortunately are smarter than us and picky eaters.  I would definitely try putting the tylan in a pocket of cream cheese.  I volunteer at a rescue and whenever we have a dog that give us trouble taking meds we use the cream cheese and it works every time so hopefully it will work with your Maddie.  Are you feeding some food without enzymes?  Please know that with EPI all food must be treated with enzymes before feeding.

Hang in there - you're doing a great job!

--

Nashville, Tennessee

March 13, 2018 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.