Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > new diet hiccup

Cheryl & Amber

Hi everyone,

Amber has been eating a combo of cooked turkey +supplements  with a side of the Legend kibble and has been doing very well. But her vet feels that she suffers from inflammation : epilepsy, overweight, cataracts and wanted her on a raw diet. This dog cannot switch proteins or diets just like that ! after a few "accidents" in the house, I am trying a slower approach . So first, get off the kibble and onto all human grade food . I'm paying someone to formulate a diet but we hit a glitch, right off . Altho  substituting  slowly one tablespoon of the kibble for 1 tblsp of a mix of potato and sweet potato , the sweet potato has caused loose stools with signs of indigestion such as color, mucous and smell. My question is this: do I persist and add more enzymes or is this just not a food for her ? I have taken out the sweet potato and replaced with a second tablespoon of white potato .  Rice was the same . I always figured it was due to fiber . So to summarize= I cannot transition to a full raw diet esp commercial - too much fat and am trying to go to an at least  all cooked ( without kibble . ) diet . She eats 3 meals/day which had been 1/3 cup turkey and 1/3 cup kibble . anyone have the same issue . Amber had never lost weight - her EPI was following acute pancreatitis . 

--

Amber , cockapoo adopted Nov 2012, known epileptic .weighs 28 lbs

pancreatitis Oct 2014 EPI confirmed March '15  TLI <1  pancreatic lipase <30 Folate 26.3 Cobalamin 349 . reteste Jun2016  Cobalamin 2449 Folate 88

pancreatin 8x enzymediane   ,   Sep 2016 on Forza 10 Legend  and  fresh cooked  food .

for epilepsy :  seizures not completely controlled by  Phenobarb ,Zonisamide , 

March 14, 2018 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator
Hi............does the vet not realise you have issues.....why has the vet said they want to change the diet, you need a proper explanation, then you can research it, Jill has loads of experience of pancreatitis, she might be able to shine a light I will contact her for you, its bizarre but were made ware that dogs can have pancreatitis and EPI have a look at the tabs on the top of the page, but dont give up, just ask the vet why, and why again....jeanx
--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

March 15, 2018 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Cheryl i was wondering also why the request for raw ...what about home cooked there are some good reciepes on the site perhaps he thinks something in the kibble triggers the seizures? Olesia home cooked reciepe is on here  and as she deals with a diabetic dog as well she has to keep the fat low.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/diet.htm

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 15, 2018 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cheryl & Amber

thank you both .I consulted this 'holistic" vet because of Amber's continuing licking of legs and pulling fur out of tail. I found the vet talked to me as if I wasn't aware of things like leaky gut etc...She must have talked to me for an hour giving me the whole run down and a list of products and services . The vitamin mix she gave me gave Amber loose stools and so did little bits of new protein - venison and I tried rabbit as well. just less than a tablespoon . I gave up on her approach pretty quickly but I still have the problem of this licking behaviour . I bought one of those E collars but nearly drove Amber nuts .She freaked cause it cut off more vision for her . I'll look at Olesia's diet I worry too about incurring diabetes . Does anyone know of a practitioner that has dealt with EPI and formulates diets for EPI dogs ? 

--

pancreatitis Oct 2014 EPI confirmed March '15  TLI <1  pancreatic lipase <30 Folate 26.3 Cobalamin 349 . reteste Jun2016  Cobalamin 2449 Folate 88

pancreatin 8x enzymediane   ,   Sep 2016 on Forza 10 Legend  and  fresh cooked  food .

March 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cheryl & Amber

Raw is considered anti inflammatory . I guess the vet felt that her body has inflammation markers . Prob from the anti epileptic meds tho. This poor dog has been thru a lot . Rescued with sarcoptic mange, given ivermectin in large doses, became epileptic , takes meds which most likely predisposed her to pancreatitis  and those seizures has made her fling herself into walls , furniture and now  I know she has pain in shoulder .  I was on this forum a lot initially but we enventually did reach a good point in the poop department . Now it's the itchiness - not all over , just legs, paws,tail . What a mystery

--

March 15, 2018 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cheryl & Amber

Her epilepsy complicates the menu. We should stay away from grains  so no macaroni and she does not seem to tolerate the fiber in sweet potato or butternut squash . I gave her the squash for about a year and always wondered why I wasn't getting that "perfect poop" took it out and went to the Legend kibble and wow what a difference, altho it's supposed to have some sweet potato in it . It's beyond my understanding except that I see how important a low fiber is for her . 

--

March 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Riley's Mom
Administrator

I'm so sorry you are struggling so. I wish I had some answers for you, but I just wanted to offer my support. 

--

Elisabeth

Riley's Mom from Chesapeake, VA

Riley, 8 yr old Labradoodle diagnosed September 2014 cTLI 1.6

Weight before diagnosis 40 lbs, lowest weight 33 lbs, ready for the Chunky Monkey club as she weighed in at a whopping 42 pounds on 12/19/14!

Update: as of 2/25/15 Riley weighs in at 44.2 pounds!

Update: as of 6/15/15 Riley weighs in at 45 pounds!

Feeding grain free kibble TOTW, 1 tsp of Diane's 6x enzymes per cup of food. (I mix the enzymes in something moist). She is a picky eater--lately feeding her on a flat plate is the way to entice her to eat. 1 cup in the am, 2 cups in the pm, 1 tsp of coconut oil per meal, 1 packet of FortiFlora probiotic in the pm meal.

Began weekly B12 shots 10/23/14. Holding on shots for now.

Began 1 Wonderlabs B12 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Capsule opened up and sprinkled on her food.

*I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is solely from my experience as an EPI dog owner. It is recommended that anything shared or suggested on this forum be discussed with your pet's vet.*

March 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cheryl & Amber

:)

--

March 16, 2018 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patsy

Why didn't the vet  suggest just cutting down the food as it suits Amber?  What supplements do you use.  I have read that zinc deficiency  can cause skin problems, seizures, diarrhoea and immune problems.  It is genetic in huskies , malamutes,  and some GSD's and poodles . So why not a cockapoo? Others like some Epi dogs just can't digest it,though the enzymes help.

Its not easy to test,  but the breeders of 'snow' dogs give them a zinc supplement , but care is needed to use the correct one and safe dose, mixed with other minerals.  I have read this on their website, not from vets.   Just an idea

--

Marti  Springer Spaniel, owned by Patsy, Sheffield, England.  She died age 12yrs 6mths  on 27/11/14 from heart failure. Diagnosed after three months, when she was 4 years old,she dropped from 24 kilos to 17 kg.  initially she also had protein losing enteropathy, treated with steroids, ,raw sores on back, obsessive thirst, bursting bowels and biadder, then stable after 2 years.   Developed another autoimmune problem with muscular myositis on head ( muscles wasted away, leaving gaunt hollows.)  She also suffered sometimes from  bottom end thrush, anal  gland infections, and recurrent SIBO treated with 4 weeks of oxytetracycline each time. 

Enzymes: Panzym caused mouth problems, resulting in tooth removal , as I didn't know at the time how caustic it was. I changed to one Lypex  then used VetUk Pancreatic Nutrient tablets, and one Chemeyes because it is half the strength, and I didn't need to use two vet uk ones. Then 3 Chemeyes or  2 pancreatic Nutrient  per meal. 

B12 injection monthly.  Trinfac B12 + intrinsic factor capsules from Chemeyes daily. Metacam for knee joints.  Also used Yumpro Bio pre/probiotics.

Food: picky eater,tinned  Chappie saved her life  till she would eat kibble again.  Eden Holistic, Millies Wolfheart and Lily's Kitchen all good,chicken and grain free.

Vets, one caring learner, who had  nervous breakdown, replaced by obnoxious vet , so I rang round  interviewing them to find someone I trusted and would work with us. Since losing Marti and Bob, I have changed again since the good vet us retired.

RIP Bobby the cocker , from PLN.  Present pet, Tinker the fluffy little grey Greek rescue dog. New addition, Jack ,  a neglected rescue terrier, looks like a fox cub and so happy to to be healthy and loved.

March 16, 2018 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cheryl & Amber

Patsy at March 16, 2018 at 2:28 PM

Why didn't the vet  suggest just cutting down the food as it suits Amber?  What supplements do you use.  I have read that zinc deficiency  can cause skin problems, seizures, diarrhoea and immune problems.  It is genetic in huskies , malamutes,  and some GSD's and poodles . So why not a cockapoo? Others like some Epi dogs just can't digest it,though the enzymes help.

Its not easy to test,  but the breeders of 'snow' dogs give them a zinc supplement , but care is needed to use the correct one and safe dose, mixed with other minerals.  I have read this on their website, not from vets.   Just an idea

I do give supplements based on what foods she currently eats as determined by animal nutritionist . I paid a fee of $295 US for diet consultation and ended up just feeding the same food cause Amber is SO sensitive to dietary changes . And yes zinc is in there along with copper and manganese but ithe amounts are determined by what foods she's already eating . If I change the food, the amounts have to change too. This vet, I feel , just talked to me in a "generic" approach . I totally understand what she was trying to do but  I know my dog a lot more than she does and she did not realize just how sensitive  Amber is to any changes . Even a tablespoon of a new food can cause soft stools . I want to give an update however to to her skin condition 

--

April 10, 2018 at 9:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cheryl & Amber

maddie ann at March 15, 2018 at 7:50 AM

Cheryl i was wondering also why the request for raw ...what about home cooked there are some good reciepes on the site perhaps he thinks something in the kibble triggers the seizures? Olesia home cooked reciepe is on here  and as she deals with a diabetic dog as well she has to keep the fat low.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/diet.htm

What I have learned thru the years is that it's not one particular food that's the issue excepting perhaps for fiber . But, it's the "change" of foods that she has trouble with . The only one she has not had issue with is the Forza 10 kibble . Legend , esp cause of low fiber .  Thru the years, I have fed home cooked foods and it has not had an effect on her seizures . So that is a separate issue . Back to the reason for me to consult this holistic vet : Amber licking her paws and pulling fur off her tail . I have consulted with first : an animal communicator and without me saying anything except to ask what did Amber want to tell me, she says that she has pain in her coccyx and rt shoulder . And that she licks her legs out of comfort and mindlessness . She told me just to distract her when she does it . I have done this and it has really helped . Next was the tail...still viciously attacking . Learned of a Reiki master ( healing) and consulted with her . She told me that Amber has injured her tail and has nerve pain at the coccyx level . She performed a healing treatment and told me what homeopathic pellets to get and how to administer . Some are for nerve pain and others are to detox . . Well, injury to her tail sounded very plausible as she has violent pre ictal ( pre seizure) episodes . And her pain is prob aggravated by any visits to the groomer because I as unaware of a specific injury . Well, this all seems to be working as what I thought was bone , was actually swelling at the tail base and now , this is softening and I can feel, that it's edema, not bone . I'm so hopeful  now for some healing . What I thought was a skin issue, was actually a pain issue .  

--

April 10, 2018 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

WOW Cheryl!!  Good on you for thinking outside the box and being so persistent.  I'm so glad this all seems to be helping sweet Amber - she is one lucky pup to have such an AMAZING mom!

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

April 10, 2018 at 1:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator
Good for you Cheryl, they become so close to us we can almost know what is going on
--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

April 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cheryl & Amber

This Reiki master is amazing . Amber is doing much better altho , I still find little tufts of fur , It's much less and now when she goes for her tail, I can distract her . Before, nothing could move her head away from that tail . She still has pain but this lady told me that it could take weeks . She also suggested chamomile tea to help calm her during the episodes . Cooled tea in her food . Thanks for your input ladies . I'm appreciative 

--

April 15, 2018 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Bin

That is GREAT you have found some help for this situation.  I have started seeing CBD oil and treats for dogs and one benefit is to help with pain.  I know CBD for humans can have real benefits for pain, anxiety, etc.  You might want to do some research and check with your vet to see if this could further help Amber.

--

Terry

Mom of three EPI Shiloh Shepherds: 

Pharaoh born Nov. 2007 and dx with epi December 2009.   Pharaoh weighed 62.4 lbs. (15 lb. weight loss) when diagnosed in 12/2009.

Weight 10/31/11 was 76.6; 85lbs on 9/22/12; 85.5 lbs. on 11/13/14.

Received six weeks of B12 shots Jan-Feb 2010 but his B12 on 8/10/2010 was only 232. So started weekly shots at home, which we continue to give. 

His older half sister is Taiko born Sept. 2006  and was dx with epi June 2010.  Since she has severe bilateral hip dysplasia she had always been on the thin side.  Taiko's weight was 70.7 lbs. in June 2010 (time of diagnosis; about a 10 lb. weight loss).

Weight on 10/31/11 was 80.4 and on 9/22/12 was 82.4 lbs.  Weight 11/13/14 was 83 lbs.  B12 was 211 in June 2010 so started six weeks of shots and was only 293 on 8/10/10.  She receives B12 shots weekly at home.  B12 in September 2014 was over 1,000.

Both are fed twice a day and we use Merrick BG brand: 1 1/2  cups kibble in the morning with 1/2 can dog food with 4 crushed tablets and in the evening 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups kibble with 1/2 can dog food  with 4 crushed tablets. 

Moku was born 4/15/14 does not have epi.  His grandfather is Taiko's and Pharaoh's father (through his mother).  On 11/05/14 his weight was 78 lbs, on 12/11/14 he was 85.7 and on his first birthday 15 April 2015: 90.2 lbs.

April 15, 2018 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

HI Cheryl,

I am so sorry i have not popped on your post earlier.... but i have had a lot going on and had to step back for a while... anyway... so glad to read that you are finally making some progress with Amber's itching issues... perserverance does pay off, and i applaud you !!!!  

If fiber AND fat are things that you ahve to limit... i too ran into the same problem and had an extremely tough time finding an appropriate kibble to supplement the home-food that i give Izzy.

Well... i finally found a kibble that works for us, it is Annamaet Lean and Grain Free... i buy mine from CHewy:

https://www.chewy.com/annamaet-grain-free-lean-low-fat/dp/49327

the fat content is:   max of 9% and min of 7% 

the fiber content is: 3.5%

This kibble has been a life saver for us.  Maybe, "if" you think you have to change in the future, you might want to try it.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

April 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.