Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > What's your favorite Probiotic brand?

barb tamo

been on Garden of Life HSO for awhile. Doesn't seem to help much with our sensitive tummy/bile issues. Any recommendations?

March 16, 2018 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hi Barb

Can you please give us a bit more detail has you dog been dx with EPI.

I see on your profile that he suffers with empty bowl syndrome have you tried giving a small meal before bedtime  also slippery elm may help.I note that you are using Tylan are you dosing twice a day ?

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 16, 2018 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paige's Guardian

Proviable DC.   My Dane gets that 1x/day for the past 5 years or so.  I get it on Amazon.  I have tried to taper down but each time I do she has issues.   She has never needed to by on Tylan.  When I am gone from the house  >8 hrs,  she also gets a Pepcid. with a snack just before I leave.  This stops her from vomiting bile due to an empty stomach. 

Conny

March 16, 2018 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Riley's Mom
Administrator

Probiotics are tricky. Not every one works with every dog. 

Ann is correct, we need a little more info to help you properly. If you could shar a little of your routine, that would be very helpful.

--

Elisabeth

Riley's Mom from Chesapeake, VA

Riley, 8 yr old Labradoodle diagnosed September 2014 cTLI 1.6

Weight before diagnosis 40 lbs, lowest weight 33 lbs, ready for the Chunky Monkey club as she weighed in at a whopping 42 pounds on 12/19/14!

Update: as of 2/25/15 Riley weighs in at 44.2 pounds!

Update: as of 6/15/15 Riley weighs in at 45 pounds!

Feeding grain free kibble TOTW, 1 tsp of Diane's 6x enzymes per cup of food. (I mix the enzymes in something moist). She is a picky eater--lately feeding her on a flat plate is the way to entice her to eat. 1 cup in the am, 2 cups in the pm, 1 tsp of coconut oil per meal, 1 packet of FortiFlora probiotic in the pm meal.

Began weekly B12 shots 10/23/14. Holding on shots for now.

Began 1 Wonderlabs B12 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Capsule opened up and sprinkled on her food.

*I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is solely from my experience as an EPI dog owner. It is recommended that anything shared or suggested on this forum be discussed with your pet's vet.*

March 16, 2018 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

The take away with probiotics is that it is usually a good thing BUT....when you buy a commercial probiotic product, it is a "one-size-fits-all" and unfortunately every dog's gut flora (bacterial composition or lack there of) is unique.  So the best you can do is just try different recommended brands.  Forti Flora is popular, as is Proviable. There is a list further down on the SID/SIBO page that you might want to check out.

However... that being said... what does seem to be more helpful is prebiotics - -which does not depend on the dog's individual gut flora composition.... and one-size does fit all :)

Many of us here use a pinch of Slippery Elm powder with is a prebiotic..... it is a natural fiber made from the inner bark of the American Elm tree that has SCFAs (Butyrate) in it which is knonwn to combat SID/SIBO.  Not every single EPI dog responds well to Slippery Elm, but the majority do... so this is something you "might" want to try. Always buy just the LOOSE Slippery Elm powder.  The dosing instrucitons are as follows:

Give  Slippery Elm powder with breakfast and dinner meals. 1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs, ¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs, ½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs, 3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs, and 1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs. Mix in meal, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, mix and serve meal as you normally would. Incubating not necessary. Sometimes even LESS works better :)

Slippery Elm Powder can be purchased online or at any health food store.... (and it's cheap) ..... might be worth trying....

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

March 16, 2018 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

missopal75
Can you please advise as to which brand of Slippery Elm to purchase? I've looked online and notice different brands and different mg. I need to try something because my baby is burping and sometimes regurgitating. Also what type of probiotic would be good to help with his order?
March 20, 2018 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

I have given my dog Garden of Life Primal Defense in the past and it worked great for her.  Took a while but it worked.  I gave her 1/16 of a teaspoon every other day for a year and it helped balance her good and bad bacteria.  Especially helped with the lack of the good bacteria.... hope you find the right solution to your dogs health problem.

March 20, 2018 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Christine Cox

I have had good luck with Probiotic Miracle by Nusentia.  I think I purchased it through chewy.com.  I give it to all my dogs (1 epi dog and 2 others).  It has helped the stomach rumbling on my EPI GSD and also cut down on all the gas passing which is a blessing :)

April 2, 2018 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.