Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > We're back......

kubsky

This forum was so helpful when I was dealing with Sherman's loose poop at the end of last year.  He did not test positive for EPI back then.  We treated the diarrhea with Tylan powder for 45 days and he was doing great....until now.  We went on vacation March 1 and he was boarded with his trainer.  We picked him up on the 12th and he has had loose poop again.  I figured it was probably due to the stress of boarding but it is almost a week since he is home and it isn't back to normal yet.  I have a digestive aid called Sunday Sundae which he didn't get while we were away but is back on it now.  I am considering putting him back on the Tylan powder but not sure for how long...or maybe try Metronidazole???  I haven't talked to the vet about it as I keep hoping it clears up.  

Any suggestions?

--

Kathy

Sherman 18 month GSD having poop issues since Halloween.  Tested for parasites, EPI, B12, Folate and Addisons.  All negative.  

Was on bland diet, metro, Hills I/D.  Currently on Tylan powder as of 12/5 and diet switched to grain free LID (Wellness Salmon).  Received B12 injection on 12/5 and has 3 more to go. B12 was low normal.

His values- TL1- 8.1      B12- 323    Folate- 17

March 18, 2018 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator

hello Kathy

was his food changed while he was boarded ?

i would be tempted to put him back on Tylan, keep a diary

keep in touch

jxx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

March 19, 2018 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hello with SIBO you need to attack both the low b12 and high folate  have you continued to use B12  its not just EPI dogs that need the b12 to be in excess of 600 + all dogs with malabsorption issues need it..i to would perhaps look again at tylan or indeed Slippery elm dosed at 1/2 tsp per meal may be worth ago before going back on the tylan...also i would re-test may be June time becuase the TLI is tending to be on the low side.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 19, 2018 at 6:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Riley's Mom
Administrator

Good morning. Good advice from Ann and Jean. 

The reason Ann suggests to consider retesting TLI, is when it is low like you pup's was last time, it could be heading towards EPI. Maybe not, but there are quite a few that weren't initiallypositive, but as symptoms returned or worsened, they retested and the numbers had dropped further and become full EPI.

And the B12....yes if your dog has any type of malabsorbtion his B12 needs to be addressed. And if he does have SID again it will depelete B12. Kind of a viscious cycle. 

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going!

--

Elisabeth

Riley's Mom from Chesapeake, VA

Riley, 8 yr old Labradoodle diagnosed September 2014 cTLI 1.6

Weight before diagnosis 40 lbs, lowest weight 33 lbs, ready for the Chunky Monkey club as she weighed in at a whopping 42 pounds on 12/19/14!

Update: as of 2/25/15 Riley weighs in at 44.2 pounds!

Update: as of 6/15/15 Riley weighs in at 45 pounds!

Feeding grain free kibble TOTW, 1 tsp of Diane's 6x enzymes per cup of food. (I mix the enzymes in something moist). She is a picky eater--lately feeding her on a flat plate is the way to entice her to eat. 1 cup in the am, 2 cups in the pm, 1 tsp of coconut oil per meal, 1 packet of FortiFlora probiotic in the pm meal.

Began weekly B12 shots 10/23/14. Holding on shots for now.

Began 1 Wonderlabs B12 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Capsule opened up and sprinkled on her food.

*I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is solely from my experience as an EPI dog owner. It is recommended that anything shared or suggested on this forum be discussed with your pet's vet.*

March 19, 2018 at 8:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kubsky

No food change during his boarding stay.  (as far as I know).  I let our vet know what was going on and she suggested a 7 day course of metronidazole on the off chance he picked up giardia.  I suppose that is possible but unlikely.  

So now I have to decide what to do.... Do I do 7 days of metronidazole?....tylan powder?....continue with digestive aid/immune booster, Sunday Sundae and see how it goes?...  

I have not continued the B12 as he was completely back to normal.  Maybe this was a mistake?  Would the capsules be enough for now instead of injections?  Am I correct in understanding that B12 is pretty safe to give...he won't "overdose" on it...what he doesn't need just gets eliminated?  Or do I need to get him blood work before starting B12?

I do plan on retesting when he goes in for his annual exam end of May/early June.  

Vacation was nice, but was it worth coming back to poop issues again????:|

--

Kathy

Sherman 18 month GSD having poop issues since Halloween.  Tested for parasites, EPI, B12, Folate and Addisons.  All negative.  

Was on bland diet, metro, Hills I/D.  Currently on Tylan powder as of 12/5 and diet switched to grain free LID (Wellness Salmon).  Received B12 injection on 12/5 and has 3 more to go. B12 was low normal.

March 19, 2018 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kubsky

maddie ann at March 19, 2018 at 6:12 AM

Hello with SIBO you need to attack both the low b12 and high folate  have you continued to use B12  its not just EPI dogs that need the b12 to be in excess of 600 + all dogs with malabsorption issues need it..i to would perhaps look again at tylan or indeed Slippery elm dosed at 1/2 tsp per meal may be worth ago before going back on the tylan...also i would re-test may be June time becuase the TLI is tending to be on the low side.

The Sunday Sundae contains slippery elm so I don't think I should add more.  If I decided to go back to Tylan would I do the full 45 days again?  Do I need to taper off slowly when stopping?  

--

Kathy

March 19, 2018 at 10:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

You have been given great suggestions and i was not gong to repeat, but then i saw you latest post...

if the loose stools are just slipghtly loose.... and since the Sunday Sundae contains some slippery elm in it.... then i think your assumption to not add any more slippery elm makes sense to me... since with slippery elm, only a very little amount is ever needed. However... if your pup has really bad loose stools, then i would give a little bit  (maybe half the suggested dose) in addition to the Sunday Sundaefor 3 to 5 days and then taper off.....(Slippery Elm dose is:

Give Slippery Elm powder with breakfast and dinner meals. 1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs, ¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs, ½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs, 3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs, and 1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs. Mix in meal, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, mix and serve meal as you normally would. Incubating not necessary.

Regarding if you decide to try Tylan instead of Metro, first, if you do not see any major positive response within the first week.... then stop the Tylan and give the Metro as your vet suggested...... however... to answer your question (and if when starting the Tylan you see an immediate positive response) then i would do it for 45 days and taper off before stopping completely....   or.... if you want.....you can try it for 30 days and taper off since this all bubbled up in a short 2-week time frame).

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

March 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

I have not continued the B12 as he was completely back to normal. Maybe this was a mistake? Would the capsules be enough for now instead of injections? Am I correct in understanding that B12 is pretty safe to give...he won't "overdose" on it...what he doesn't need just gets eliminated?

To answer this Maddie had b12 for life i had her daily on the pills just tossed them into her food and they worked if i were you i would use the tablets but to start go with two daily and then taper the dose down back to 1 say after 2 weeks ..you may want to get an injection in the meantime ..you are right they pee out any excess...the pills are so easy and cheap .

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 19, 2018 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi there.  So sorry Sherman is having issues.  Everyone has given you great advice - the only thing I want to repeat is possibly re-testing for EPI if you see any weight loss or if you can't get the poops under control.  My boy was tested at 3mos old due to diarrhea and being a GSD - his TLI was 16 - perfectly normal - he was treated for SIBO.  He was fine until 10mos old he SLOWLY started to lose weight - just a pound here and there.  We tested him again at 13mos old after he had lost 20lbs and had chronic diarrhea again - his TLI was less than .4!!  It takes time for the pancreas to atrophy completely.  So just something to keep in the back of your mind.  I hope you are able to get things back on track.  Please keep us posted on how things go.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 20, 2018 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kubsky

I decided to give Sherman a few more days and his poop went back to normal.  I was so happy.  But the past 2 days it has gotten loose again.  And today he had what looked like bloody diarrhea in the afternoon, followed by a formed but very soft poop afterwards.  I have given him some new treats....dehydrated liver.... Maybe responsible?  And he had some string cheese during training....  Maybe he cannot tolerate "other" food besides his norm?   I decided I would do metronidazole for 7 days as the vet originally suggested.  I have some on hand and it is going to expire soon so I figure I will use it up.  If he continues with the sloppy poop I will go to the Tylan powder.  He is coming up on his annual vet visit in May but maybe I will move it up and have him go in April.  And then he can be tested again.  Or would it be better to wait the 6 months from the original test?  

His weight has stayed around the same....80 lbs.  Sometimes it is down a lb or 2, sometimes up a lb or 2.  We bought a scale to use at home so we can monitor.

As if his poop situation wasn't enough, my other GSD, Stella, has had some funky poop too.  I think I am seeing mucus but not really sure.  She just got over a persistant anal gland infection and maybe it's back....ugh.

Just gotta love examing poop all the time....

--

Kathy

March 30, 2018 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi Kathy.  Ahhh the poop rollercoaster - up and down - we've all been there.  GSD tend to have extremely sensitive tummies.  I would not give any treats other than his kibble - most of the time they don't know the difference - because it's not given in their bowl they view it as a treat.  I too bought a scale when Doc was diagnosed so I can monitor his weight - some of the best money i've ever spent - three years into EPI and I still weigh him every Monday :)  

Have you tried Slippery Elm Bark Powder?  I keep it on hand even for my non-EPI dog - it's a prebiotic and is used to help with IBD, colitis, diarrhea, etc.  Might be worth a try for both Stella and Sherman.  You can purchase it at your local health food stores or on Amazon - most of us use the NOW brand - just be sure to get the powder not the pills - here is the dosing instructions

Give provided Slippery Elm powder with breakfast and dinner meals.

1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs,

¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs,

½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs,

3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs,

1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs.

Mix in meal, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, mix and serve meal as you normally would.

Be sure to go over everything with your vet.  Oh as for testing again for EPI, if the weight is only fluctuating a pound or two I think you could hold off on testing again for a while.

--

Nashville, Tennessee

2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 31, 2018 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kubsky

I have Slippery Elm drops but haven't used them yet.  I am giving him Sunday Sundae which has slippery elm in it among other things. 

He has had 3 doses of metronidazole and the poop is varied....mostly pudding, some very soft formed.  How long before the meds change his poop? 

I think I may have to go to chicken and rice for a bit....give his gut a rest.  It is so frustrating.  I am glad that he is acting totally normal...eating, playing, etc.  But it sure would be nice to have normal poop....

--

Kathy

March 31, 2018 at 9:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

If you're giving the Sundae that has slippery elm in it already then as Olesia said above don't give more Slippery Elm.  You may need to go back to the basics - enzymes, B12 and food - cut out all other supplements, etc and give the system time to "reset" - I've had to do this seveal times when I've made too may changes at one time or couldn't figure out what was going on.  I will say after 3 years into EPI - sometimes we have some off poops - could be stress, could be something he got into - his favorites being tissues and napkins LOL.  If you do that and you still have loose poop then I would try Tylan for 45 days - however, if after 7 days into Tylan you do not see improvement switch to metronidazole - if you don't see improvement after 7 days then either try Slippery Elm Park Powder (not sure what the drops are but we recommend the powder) OR switch to a different food.  Sometimes food is the last piece of the puzzle and it may just be the food isn't agreeing with Sherman.  Keep your log so you'll know what's going on and keep us posted!

--

Nashville, Tennessee

April 1, 2018 at 9:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

If the metro isnt working then swop to tylan but giving pre& probotics at the same time as antibotics may not work ..so food tylan b12 .

--

ANN (UK).

April 2, 2018 at 7:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.