Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > We're back......

kubsky

My older girl had so so poops and would throw up bile almost every morning for a long time.  I started a raw diet and that helped the poop tremendously.  She is now back on kibble and has had good poop with no problems.  I have considered raw for Sherman but he eats soooooo much I doubt I could afford it!  Maybe she would have straightened out anyway as she got older.  Hope that is the case with Sherman, but his sire was diagnosed with EPI late last year so......

I ordered the B12 with intrinsic factor from Wonderlabs.  Will start that when it gets delivered.

Does the SE or other pro/prebiotic interfere with the Tylan?  Should I wait till he is done with the 45 days?

--

Kathy

Sherman 18 month GSD having poop issues since Halloween.  Tested for parasites, EPI, B12, Folate and Addisons.  All negative.  

Was on bland diet, metro, Hills I/D.  Currently on Tylan powder as of 12/5 and diet switched to grain free LID (Wellness Salmon).  Received B12 injection on 12/5 and has 3 more to go. B12 was low normal.

His values- TL1- 8.1      B12- 323    Folate- 17

April 21, 2018 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Yes avoid tylan and pre/probtics.I can understand you wanting the test with the Sire being DX...

Gsd are expensive to raw feed alot of people have sucess with limited ingredient kibble.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

April 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

How long ago was Sherman tested for EPI?  Your TLI score is not too far away from the area where we suggest treating as EPI but restesting down the road.  The key to managing EPI is getting the four cornerstones of EPI balanced:  enzymes, B12, antibiotic and food.  I highly recommend as before getting the Wonder Labs Pet Factor B12 pills and supplementing those as Sherman's B12 was pretty low.  Next, be sure you are using 1tsp of enzymes per cup of kibble-mix with luke warm water and incubate 20-30 minutes; request a 45 days course of Tylan from the vet-don't stop cold turkey - titrate it down and use grain free 4%fiber or less kibble.  As for the Sunday Sundae - I would eliminate it while treating the four cornerstones - once your dog is stable you could add it back it in and see if it works for your dog.  The golden rule with EPI is to make once change at a time and give it 5 days to see how your dog does - the exception being when first diagnosed - then you want to make the necessary changes with B12, food, enzymes and antibiotic all at once.

Sherman is lucky to have you!!

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

April 22, 2018 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kubsky

Received the B12 capsules today and will start them.  Still on the Tylan...was away so he missed once dose but we are back on schedule....about 16 days in.  His poop fluctuates....normal, soft normal and slop.  I started feeding him bland diet which seems to help.  Every time I add his kibble back in....his poop gets worse.  Currently he is on Wellness Simple grain free limited ingredient.  I don't know if maybe I should try a different kibble?  I wasn't thinking about enzymes.  Are they necessary at this point?  The B12 instructions say 2 capsules once a day.  Is that the recommended dosage?  The vet was willing to give B12 injections but I would prefer pills for now...unless the injections are better??

--

Kathy

Sherman 18 month GSD having poop issues since Halloween.  Tested for parasites, EPI, B12, Folate and Addisons.  All negative.  

Was on bland diet, metro, Hills I/D.  Currently on Tylan powder as of 12/5 and diet switched to grain free LID (Wellness Salmon).  Received B12 injection on 12/5 and has 3 more to go. B12 was low normal.

April 25, 2018 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

When was Sherman tested for EPI?  Has he lost weight?  If you're giving the right dose of Tylan and aren't seeing optimal results then you could try metronidazole - they work in different areas of the gut and on different bacteria.  Just watch for signs of metro toxicity and if you see any stop giving it immediately and call your vet - it will reverse itself once stopped.  Some dogs do better on metro and are fine on it.  It could be the food like you mentioned but I wouldn't change antibiotic and food at the same time - so you could just try a different kibble - Sherman may have a food sensitivity.  As for B12 - how much does Sherman weigh?

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

April 26, 2018 at 9:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kubsky

Sherman was tested in November.  He had lost weight (a few lbs) but gained it back once his poop was normal.  More recently he did lose a few lbs but has gained a bit back again.  He seems to hover around 80.  

I started the B12 capsules (2 a day), continuing with Tylan (1/4 tsp 2x daily) and just giving kibble.  I am using boiled chicken as training treats.  Since I started the B12 his poop has firmed up and is looking normal (for him).  I think I will continue giving Tylan for the 45 days, continue B12 too.  

How long does he need the B12?  Should he be tested when he goes to vet the end of May?

I was so excited to see decent poop again.  And I stand there and praise him as if he has done something wonderful...lol...

--

Kathy

April 27, 2018 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

He could need the b12 for life...in the scheme of things its not expensive for EPi dogs we need there b12 to be in excess of 600 and maintained that way for life...he could just have SIBO and may need it all the time and if the poop is good then i would carry on .

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

April 27, 2018 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kubsky

So we are doing the B12 and Tylan.  Poop has improved but I have noticed that even if it starts "normal", a lot of the time it gets sloppy towards the end.  Curious if there is any explanation for this.

--

Kathy

April 30, 2018 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.