Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Suggestion on what's next! EPI

Kurt

Hello and thank you in advance,

I have a 8 year old GSD who was diagnosed with EPI 5 weeks ago.The vet subscribed Pancreplus tablets x3 with each meal and Tylan powder sprinkled on each meal. Her Vitamin B was low also  so she was on weekly shots Currently started her on daily Cobalequin tablets. I have been back to the vet at least 5 times do to things not working out so well. Her poop is still kinda soft so started breaking the tablets up and feeding her 3x a day, her poop still isnt where its spose to be, she does fine for a couple of days then goes down hill. Her stomach makes really loud grumbling noises and has alot of gas. Im new to all this and trying to do the best I can. Just so afraid to lose her been by my side since she was 8 weeks old. Im open to any suggestion i could tell my vet since he doesnt seem like he knows alot about EPI.

March 23, 2018 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator
Welcome from the uk...we have different enzymes over here but one of our people use the tablets, i will get in touch for you, what weight is your dog, and his/her name, you could go towards powder enzymes from Enzyme Diane, have a look at her website, as far as Tylan is concerned , the doseage is weight related, so if you can help us with that, how much Tylan are you giving, lastly what food are you feeding, and how much at a feed and how often, double lastly, keep a diary of everything you do.........jean
--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

March 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kurt

Im sorry I left a few things out  this whole thing has been so hard on me and my family, feel like im losing my mind. Her name is Diamond gsd  her current weight is 70 pounds current food she is on Royal Canin Gastro-Intestinale low fat. She also takes daily Fortiflora. Her normal weight is 78-80 pounds she managed to put a few pounds back on at one point she was 65 pounds.

March 23, 2018 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Its a bit mind boggling to start with..ok so we suggest that you use grain free food rather than a vet prescription food unless there is another condition going on..low fat is actually  no longer recommended.With the food you need to crush the tablets and use 1 per cup and 1 for the bowl so 3 as your vet has suggested but treat it like the powder and incubate, tylan should be given twice daily based on your dogs weight...B12 can you confirm which tablet you use...fortiflora make sure you dont give this with a tylan meal..please read the quick guide this details how to use the tablets and how to incubate....keep asking questiosn my gal lost 1/3 rd of her body weight but bounced back ..so dont worry .

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guides

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 23, 2018 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb
Administrator

Hello and welcome to you and your pup. What is her name?

It probably seems pretty overwhelming right now trying to get everything balanced so that your pup is doing well again.  We have all been there so we understand how you are feeling.    The beginning is the hardest stage once you have a diagnosis.   If you look at the Overview tab above, you will find that in order to treat EPI successfully, you need to have the four key elements in balance:  Food, Enzymes, Antibiotics, and B12.   Sometimes it takes a bit of time to manage all four.  But eventually it will become just part of your daily routine and she will thrive. 

It sounds like you and your vet are on the right track.  You just need to tweak some things.  Most dogs have low B12 when diagnosed and usually they have SID/SIBO.    Your vet is correct in giving her B12.  You want to get that level up.  Can you give us the results (in numbers) of her cTLI test?   This will help us help you.   We usually recommend a 6 week protocol of B12 until her level is high normal .....like 600+.....Once you finish the 6 week injections you can move to Wonderlabs Pet Factor capsules.   These have Intrinsic Factor which is necessary for EPI dogs for absorption.  

Next, those stomach rumblings indicate that she will need an antibiotic and your vet is correct in giving her tylan.   That is the drug most effective for most dogs with EPI.   The dosage goes by weight, so I am not sure how much you are giving her when you are sprinkling.  That might have to be adjusted.  

Some people use the tablets that you are using, but many of us in the US use the powdered enzymes (pancreatin) sold by  enzyme diane with much success.   She is a member here and provides the powder at a fraction of the price of commercial brands.   You can go to her website, enzymediane.com.   She is wonderful to work with and has an excellent product.  You would most likely start with the Pancreatin 6X and use 1teaspoon per cup of food, dissove it in a little warm water (not hot) and pour it over the kibble, stir thoroughly and wait 20 -30 minutes before feeding.    We have been using her enzymes for about 8 years and Kolby has thrived on them.  She publishes her phone number on the site, so you can talk to her if you wish.

Finally the food.   We usually suggest a low fiber, grain free food.   I don't know what food you are using, so if you could tell us, that would help also.  This is the area of trial and error because not all dogs do well on all foods.   

And I heartily agree with Jean about keeping a log/journal of everything you give your pupeach day, the amounts, and what the resulting poos are like. This will help you to see what is working and what isn't.

Try not to be too overwhelmed.   You are off to a good start.   You can print out any of the information here for your vet.  Many vets have not had a lot of cases of EPI.   If he is willing to learn with you, he is a keeper.   It sounds like he has started you off on the right track.

Please ask any questions you have.

Barb 

--

March 23, 2018 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kurt

Barb at March 23, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Hello and welcome to you and your pup. What is her name?

It probably seems pretty overwhelming right now trying to get everything balanced so that your pup is doing well again.  We have all been there so we understand how you are feeling.    The beginning is the hardest stage once you have a diagnosis.   If you look at the Overview tab above, you will find that in order to treat EPI successfully, you need to have the four key elements in balance:  Food, Enzymes, Antibiotics, and B12.   Sometimes it takes a bit of time to manage all four.  But eventually it will become just part of your daily routine and she will thrive. 

It sounds like you and your vet are on the right track.  You just need to tweak some things.  Most dogs have low B12 when diagnosed and usually they have SID/SIBO.    Your vet is correct in giving her B12.  You want to get that level up.  Can you give us the results (in numbers) of her cTLI test?   This will help us help you.   We usually recommend a 6 week protocol of B12 until her level is high normal .....like 600+.....Once you finish the 6 week injections you can move to Wonderlabs Pet Factor capsules.   These have Intrinsic Factor which is necessary for EPI dogs for absorption.  

Next, those stomach rumblings indicate that she will need an antibiotic and your vet is correct in giving her tylan.   That is the drug most effective for most dogs with EPI.   The dosage goes by weight, so I am not sure how much you are giving her when you are sprinkling.  That might have to be adjusted.  

Some people use the tablets that you are using, but many of us in the US use the powdered enzymes (pancreatin) sold by  enzyme diane with much success.   She is a member here and provides the powder at a fraction of the price of commercial brands.   You can go to her website, enzymediane.com.   She is wonderful to work with and has an excellent product.  You would most likely start with the Pancreatin 6X and use 1teaspoon per cup of food, dissove it in a little warm water (not hot) and pour it over the kibble, stir thoroughly and wait 20 -30 minutes before feeding.    We have been using her enzymes for about 8 years and Kolby has thrived on them.  She publishes her phone number on the site, so you can talk to her if you wish.

Finally the food.   We usually suggest a low fiber, grain free food.   I don't know what food you are using, so if you could tell us, that would help also.  This is the area of trial and error because not all dogs do well on all foods.   

And I heartily agree with Jean about keeping a log/journal of everything you give your pupeach day, the amounts, and what the resulting poos are like. This will help you to see what is working and what isn't.

Try not to be too overwhelmed.   You are off to a good start.   You can print out any of the information here for your vet.  Many vets have not had a lot of cases of EPI.   If he is willing to learn with you, he is a keeper.   It sounds like he has started you off on the right track.

Please ask any questions you have.

Barb 

Thank you for the quick response, My dogs name is Diamond. Not really sure why the vet said to use Royal Canin low fat but will be giving the vet a visit tomorrow to get the info that you asked for. Since I just bought 100 tablets of enzymes going to use those for now but plan on contacting enzymesdiane early next week and try and get her on those enzymes. The B12 tablets the vet gave me was chewable tablets from Cobalequin.com not really sure the exact dose it has,

I always wondered why the vet said to sprinkle Tylan powder and not a dose. I think maybe i wasn't giving her enough. I was also giving her the tylan with Fortiflora the vet said it was ok, I since stopped it as of today. She eats 3 x a day so plan on giving her the fortiflora without tylan powder. 

Since this morning her stomach was grumbling and wasnt feeling good she didnt eat until late. I was wondering whats the correct dosage of the tylan powder since im not sure she weighs 70 pounds, thanks

March 23, 2018 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb
Administrator

The amount of tylan for Diamond (love the name) is 1/4 tsp. twice a day.   if you look under the tab EPI you will find SID/SiBO, and that gives a chart at the bottom for dosage.   Don't forget that tylan is very bitter.   Some dogs don't mind the sprinkling.   Mine wouldn't touch food that had it sprinkled on, so I had to put it in empt y gelcaps. I hope Diamond isn't as fussy. 

I don't think Cobalaquin has Intrinsic Factor, so I don't know if  she is absorbing any B12 from them.   Was she taking that in addition to the injections?   If she is going to switch to pills after the injections you will need to go to the Pet Factor pills from Wonderlabs. 

Hang in there.

Barb 

--

March 23, 2018 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kurt

Barb at March 23, 2018 at 6:31 PM

The amount of tylan for Diamond (love the name) is 1/4 tsp. twice a day.   if you look under the tab EPI you will find SID/SiBO, and that gives a chart at the bottom for dosage.   Don't forget that tylan is very bitter.   Some dogs don't mind the sprinkling.   Mine wouldn't touch food that had it sprinkled on, so I had to put it in empt y gelcaps. I hope Diamond isn't as fussy. 

I don't think Cobalaquin has Intrinsic Factor, so I don't know if  she is absorbing any B12 from them.   Was she taking that in addition to the injections?   If she is going to switch to pills after the injections you will need to go to the Pet Factor pills from Wonderlabs. 

Hang in there.

Barb 

Thanks for the speedy response  i found the dosage amount after i had posted but couldnt edit it.

She is all done with the injections and vet recommnded she take those chewable tablets. I will have to order some of the ones you suggested.

Thank you so much for the help 

I noticed you have a gsd also in the forum pic it reminds me of my Diamond. 

March 23, 2018 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Bin

Hi Kurt!  Welcome!  I'm just catching up on your post as I've been traveling.  We have been using tablets for the entire time and have had great success.  It's one of those situations whereas that is what the vet had, we used it with great success and haven't wanted to change.  But most people in the US do use powdered enzymes with great success and buying through enzymediane is more cost effective.  You were given good advice about using tablets but like the powdered enzymes..there is a starting point and then you tweak.  We found in the beginning that 1 tablet per 1 cup of food and 1 for the bowl (so 3 crushed tablets per 2 cups of food) worked best but as our dogs aged we have had to use more.  You can cut the tablets in half or fourths so you may need to add a bit more or cut back.  Glad to see you stopped the probiotic while giving the antibiotic.  If the B12 didn't have the intrinsic factor the B12 may have dropped...the correct pills may bring it back up again or you may need to do a round of shots again to bring it back up and then maintain with the pills.  Hang in there...it's a rollercoaster when you start but it does even out.

--

Terry

Mom of three EPI Shiloh Shepherds: 

Pharaoh born Nov. 2007 and dx with epi December 2009.   Pharaoh weighed 62.4 lbs. (15 lb. weight loss) when diagnosed in 12/2009.

Weight 10/31/11 was 76.6; 85lbs on 9/22/12; 85.5 lbs. on 11/13/14.

Received six weeks of B12 shots Jan-Feb 2010 but his B12 on 8/10/2010 was only 232. So started weekly shots at home, which we continue to give. 

His older half sister is Taiko born Sept. 2006  and was dx with epi June 2010.  Since she has severe bilateral hip dysplasia she had always been on the thin side.  Taiko's weight was 70.7 lbs. in June 2010 (time of diagnosis; about a 10 lb. weight loss).

Weight on 10/31/11 was 80.4 and on 9/22/12 was 82.4 lbs.  Weight 11/13/14 was 83 lbs.  B12 was 211 in June 2010 so started six weeks of shots and was only 293 on 8/10/10.  She receives B12 shots weekly at home.  B12 in September 2014 was over 1,000.

Both are fed twice a day and we use Merrick BG brand: 1 1/2  cups kibble in the morning with 1/2 can dog food with 4 crushed tablets and in the evening 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups kibble with 1/2 can dog food  with 4 crushed tablets. 

Moku was born 4/15/14 does not have epi.  His grandfather is Taiko's and Pharaoh's father (through his mother).  On 11/05/14 his weight was 78 lbs, on 12/11/14 he was 85.7 and on his first birthday 15 April 2015: 90.2 lbs.

March 23, 2018 at 8:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Hi Kurt.  You've been given great advice so far so I won't muddy the waters by repeating things.  The one thing I would like to stress is the B12 - EPI dogs are not able to maintain their B12 levels without supplementing so it is for life.  Most of us use WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 - it has intrinsic factor which helps with B12 absorption - it is VERY inexpensive.

EPI is overwhelming in the beginning but will quickly become routine.  As Barb said, we've all been there and we will all be here for you to help guide you along the way.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 23, 2018 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb
Administrator

The name of the B12 with Intrinsic Factor is Pet Factor or Trinfac-B (they are both the same....they just changed the name). You can order it from Wonderlabs.   They give members of EPI4DOGS a 15% discount. The coupon code is EPI4DOGS15.   A bottle of 120 capsules is about $16.   

Barb

--

March 23, 2018 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kurt

Barb at March 23, 2018 at 9:02 PM

The name of the B12 with Intrinsic Factor is Pet Factor or Trinfac-B (they are both the same....they just changed the name). You can order it from Wonderlabs.   They give members of EPI4DOGS a 15% discount. The coupon code is EPI4DOGS15.   A bottle of 120 capsules is about $16.   

Barb

Thanks a ton i found the Pet factor B12. It states recommended from epi4dogs. Not sure what to do with the other pills. And do you think i should go for another round of b12 shots or a retest.

March 23, 2018 at 9:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

If you're using the WonderLabs pills and don't see any signs of low B12 then you don't need to do the shots.  Many members switch to the pills after doing the 6 weeks of shots and some like me never did the shots and instead just used the pills.  I would suggest retesting the B12 after a month or so to make sure the amount of B12 you are giving is enough.  I retested Doc's B12 after two months of using the WonderLabs pills and his B12 went from 406 to over 1,000.  That was almost 3 years ago - I have annual blood work that includes B12 so other than that I don't retest anymore.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

March 23, 2018 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kurt

Terry Bin at March 23, 2018 at 8:11 PM

Hi Kurt!  Welcome!  I'm just catching up on your post as I've been traveling.  We have been using tablets for the entire time and have had great success.  It's one of those situations whereas that is what the vet had, we used it with great success and haven't wanted to change.  But most people in the US do use powdered enzymes with great success and buying through enzymediane is more cost effective.  You were given good advice about using tablets but like the powdered enzymes..there is a starting point and then you tweak.  We found in the beginning that 1 tablet per 1 cup of food and 1 for the bowl (so 3 crushed tablets per 2 cups of food) worked best but as our dogs aged we have had to use more.  You can cut the tablets in half or fourths so you may need to add a bit more or cut back.  Glad to see you stopped the probiotic while giving the antibiotic.  If the B12 didn't have the intrinsic factor the B12 may have dropped...the correct pills may bring it back up again or you may need to do a round of shots again to bring it back up and then maintain with the pills.  Hang in there...it's a rollercoaster when you start but it does even out.

Happy travels,

I'm glad to see the tablets worked, At this time the tablets are quite expensive for me but just trying to get her stable and switch to a more fordable enzyme. Its been really stressfull for me as I thought i was losing her, I actually joined a group called EPI on facebook who sent me to this website. The ammount of help and support I have gotten here, is priceless.

Thanks Kurt

March 23, 2018 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kurt

Every 1 is probably wondering what Diamond looks like so figured post a pic of her at the vet with my grandaughter when she first got sick. My grandaughter is so close to Diamond there unseperable

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

March 23, 2018 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marilyn Marinelli

Hi Kurt,  YOur dog Diamond is  lucky to have you.  Lots of good info for you here.

Two things I would like to mention.  One if you ever give your dog Fortiflora or any other probiotic never give it to your dog at the same time as an antibiotic.  I learned the hard way that given them at the same time or too close together just cancelled out the effect of both.   Just give it a few hours one from the other.  

The other thing I would like to mention is concerning the B12 with intrinsic factor.  I give my dog one at each meal.  She eats two meals a day.  I have done this for 7 years and she has never had another problem with her B12 level droping.  I just place the B12 capsule in her food place a little of her food on top and no problem she takes it right down.

Take your time and  read some from the "Downloads"(click there) along the top orange line.  ALso, on top go to "EPI" and click there and read info, as well.

As mentioned to you before ....keep a record of what you are doing for your dog.  I believe Enzyme Diane has a form you can download.  If not make up your own   ...... Date / How much food/ how much enzyme/B12 given check  it off/ make any special note like ....poop looks better/ good day... You get the idea I am sure.  

Take care know we are all with you and it will all come together just stay focused....one step at a time.  Don't try and rush anything .... Baby steps lol       

March 24, 2018 at 1:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator
I have been asleep since my last post so most of my questions were answered, we gave up with RC too much grain in it, and yes 1/4 teaspoon tylan twice a day would be about right, what would be her optimum weight, if she has lost a bit of weight, you feed for the weight she SHOULD be plus 50% for as long as it takes for the weight to go back on........trust me, my girl was 39 pounds at 14 months, broke my heart when the vets record said massively emaciated, and they gave her a 50-50 chance of survival, 8 years later she is 90 pounds, record everything you do and keep in touch.........by the way she is beautiful as is your little one, a child needs a dog.........somewhere in their life
--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

March 24, 2018 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb
Administrator

Kurt, that picture is priceless.   Diamond is so lucky to have all of you caring for her.  I know how much my grandkids love Kolby and are always checking on him to see how he is doing.   They were the chief guardians when he was first diagnosed to make sure that no one gave him any food that wasn't enzymed.

You will be amazed at how well she does!

Barb  

--

March 24, 2018 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kurt

Hello,

So this morning a brang Diamond out as soon as she poop i got so discouraged. So its back to the drawing board, At one point her poop was better but have never gotten it close to what it spose to be according to the poop chart. 

Now that i got the correct dosage of Tylan i will start with that. Before this i could see that she was getting half of what the dosage was as the vet never gave me a dosage amount-"sprinkle over food" is his exact words.

Enzymes is 3 tablets crushed incubated for 20 min 3x a day with 1/4 tsp of Tylan powder 2x a day. Should i wait a few days before changing dosage of enzymes since we just corrected the Tylan dosage.

RX dog food wasnt aware it had grain in it shame on me, I really dont want to change the food until we at least get her a bit stable.

I have been keeping track of everything that i tried and havent really got any good results. Will start B12 that was suggested once it comes in.

Thanks, Kurt

March 24, 2018 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Diamond will get there she has you by her side...dont make to many changes at the same time try the 3tabs per meal ...and the correct tylan dose and see how you go for 3-5 days, dogs have transit times so what you see this morning may have been from Thursday night... we have a trick if you put a piece of raw carrot in her food when you make a change this will show up in her poop this tracks her transit time..so try this in tonights food watch the poop and see when it appears .

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 24, 2018 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.