Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Change in appetite

Zeus
I will try and make this short. My Male Black Lab became sick in June 2016 His TLI numbers have never been in the range to diagnose him with EPI. The treatments however have helped restore his health. He's on a grain free diet. He receives B12 shots weekly tylosin and enzymes daily. If slowly reduced the amounts to where he receives 1/8 tsp. twice a day at feeding and 1/4 tablespoons of enzymes twice daily at feeding. At his lowest point he weighed 56 pounds. He's currently at 84. His attitude and energy are good. The last 10 days he has become very finicky about his food sometimes leaving food in the dish. He will eat out of my hand and he will eat the food dry, but does not care for the meds anymore. Has anyone experienced any thing similar. I'm nervous to just cut out the meds but don't want to have him not eat.
--

(Zeus) Male Black Labrador Born 7/31/13 Biopsy Results from 6/19/16 Stomach - mild lymphoplasmacytic gastritis Small bowel - mild lymphoplasmacytic and eosinophilic enteritis

TLI Results from 7/7/16 Cobalamin - 231 Folate - 10.3 TLI -5.2

Diet - Natures Balance Vevison & Sweet Potato (2 cups) / 2 Times a day /Incubated with 1:1 Ratio on Enzymes for 20 min prior to feeding. Enzymes - Henry Shein (Pancrea Powder Plus) B-12 Injections - 1cc / Once a week. (Started on 7/22/16) Tylan Powder 1/2tsp. Twice a day. (Sarted 7/25/16)

April 15, 2018 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zeus
Correction - He receives 1/2 teaspoon of enzymes at each feeding.
April 15, 2018 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hello firstly have you checked his mouth for sores..this could be one reason...you could also try feeding on a flat plate perhaps the enzymes smell is off putting...stinky toppers...the other thing is that it is not EPI related ..have you had the tests re-run since 2013 he was in the grey area then ..but i always worry that there may be something else going on .

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

April 16, 2018 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zeus
I have looked for sores. His first tests were in 2016. He was born 2013. He participated in the metabolic study. His numbers were redone a year ago. TLI - 35.9 / Cobalamin - 667 / Folate - 4.59 which was low. Treating with an oral supplement.
April 16, 2018 at 9:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Sorry misread ...folate being low wonder if this is the problem...some sort of food issues i  think its a form of doggie IBS i note that you give a supplement for this are you still on the same food wonder if they have changed the formula? Have you thought of using the B12 tablets from wonderlabs for the B12 ...is not low though i wouldnt have thought to have caused issues...with the tylan are you dosing twice daily...it sounds like some sort of upset may be a different antibotic..hydrolysed dog food.. that score is really high for enzymes to be used ...

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

April 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zeus
I was told that he may have IBS back in 2016. The focus was put towards his lower TLI score. He was vomiting and had very loose stools that were yellow in color. Maybe a retest of everything is due. Same food Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. Dosing twice a day with Tylan. His poops are good. What do you mean by Hydrolysed food?
--

(Zeus) Male Black Labrador Born 7/31/13 Biopsy Results from 6/19/16 Stomach - mild lymphoplasmacytic gastritis Small bowel - mild lymphoplasmacytic and eosinophilic enteritis

Diet - Natures Balance Vevison & Sweet Potato (2 cups) / 2 Times a day /Incubated with 1:1 Ratio on Enzymes for 20 min prior to feeding. Enzymes - Henry Shein (Pancrea Powder Plus) B-12 Injections - 1cc / Once a week. (Started on 7/22/16) Tylan Powder 1/2tsp. Twice a day. (Sarted 7/25/16)

April 16, 2018 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Hi Zeus's human companion.  

The low folate score 4.59 is indicatve of small proximal intestinal disease and my guess is that explains the  lymphoplasmacytic gastritis Small bowel - mild lymphoplasmacytic and eosinophilic enteritis.

The first thing i would suggest, just in case you might not be doing this already, is to start keeping an EPI log, even though ths is not EPI, Keeping a log is the best thing you can do that will help both you and your vet identify what would benefit Zeus at this time and what probably is not helping.  

Next.... my suggestion is to talk to your vet about trying some new/different thing... but trying them one at a time.  Loss of appetite can be the B12 even thou at last test, the B12 level was at upper mid-range. You might want to re-do the B12 test to get a more current benchmark of where you are at with the B12 levels.... as they can plummet very quickly.. so that value of 667 can no longer be accurate................................or............................i see that you ARE giving oral B12..... is it wonderlabs with the INtrinsic factor??? if yes, how often??? maybe try increasing frequency????...if you are only giving periodically..... then maybe start giving Wonderlabs B12 pills with intrinsic factor (Pet Factor B12, or Trinfac B)... with 1 pill a day for 3 weeks and then if you notice an improvement, then you know it was the B12 slipping.  If you do not notice any improvement....start looking elsewhere for the cause.

Next... if not the B12, then i would next focus something in the gut causing Zeus to not want to eat.... like bacteria, infection, bacterial imbalance, etc, etc.... something that the Tylan may not be addressing.  NOt sure if this would or would not be helpful, BUT....ask your vet about contacting  TAMU and discussing if it would be prudent to run a  "Canine Microbiota Dysbiosis Index Test" ... or if this would be moot..... http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/canine-microbiota-dysbiosis-index

My objective with this suggestion is to see if maybe if there is a bacterial infection or under/over imbalance.... maybe they can better help you with with antibiotic would be more suited..... or not.  LIke i said, talk to your vet about this first to see if it would be worth doing or not.

If not..... then.... i would do the trial an error thing, maybe ask your vet to swap out the Tylan for a different anti?  Also, maybe ask the vet if a short course of Prednisone would be a possibility,  

Some other things on the list to try :

Make the food mushier- -sometimes this makes it easier for dogs with lymphoplasmacytic and eosinophilic enteritis to digest food a little better. At least it won't hurt to try this....

And/or... change the diet.  Talk to your vet about "trying" a small sample of Royal Canin "Ultamino" hydrolyzed food... if you can get this in canned food, it might be even better.

Also...... since the most recent TLI numbers was 35.    Maybe "try" stopping the enymes completely.  Of course this may make things worse.. or better.... you just won't know until you try, unless you want to re-run the TLI to see which way it went in a years time... and maybe you ARE dealing with EPI now and need more enzymes with the meals.... or maybe Zeus would now be much better without any enzymes at all.

The other thing i would put on my list of things to try would be Slippery Elm.... many, MANY dogs with IBD, IBS, EPI and gastro issues (and people too) get much needed relief with a little bit of SLippery Elm powder (not pills/capsules!). I don't know why yet (exactly... still waiting on test results from a little study we did)  BUT... i do know that SLippery Elm is a mucilage and it has prebioitic properties, and that it contains Butyrate, one of the most important SCFAs that combats small intestinal dysbiosis... as it is a fiber.... my guess is that it has just enough of the right amount of fiber to combat gut flora imbalance, but you have to be careful not to give too much because too much SCFAs will cause the same symptoms as not enough fiber in the diet (gas/tummy upset).... so it might be worth trying to see if this helps or not.  The current Slippery Elm dose recommendation is:  1/8 tsp for dogs under 10lbs, ¼ tsp for dogs 10lbs to 30lbs, ½ tsp for dogs 30lbs to 80lbs, 3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs, and 1 tsp for dog 100/+lbs. Mix in meal, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, mix and serve meal as you normally would. Incubating not necessary.... and sometimes less is even better.

Hope some of this helps.  Plese keep us posted!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

April 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

hmmmm.... while i am thinking about this, again, not sure if this would be helpful or not..... but if what Zeus is experiencing is because of a food sensitivity... there is a test that you can have done, that has also just been peer-reviewed with positive results.   Jean Dodds does this test : 

http://www.nutriscan.org/

and this is the Peer-Reviewed article that you can share with your vet and see if this is something that might be a conisderation to pursue: 

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/65fe703d8ce705ddce0e30120/files/8e49143a-c983-43a1-a795-8271fcc3fd0c/AHVMA_Winter_2017._2018_Volume_49.pdf

Just tossing this out there.......

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

April 16, 2018 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zeus

Wow so much info its almost overwhelming.Very much appreciated though!!

I give Zeus a 1cc B-12 injection once a week and a  folic acid pill 3 times a week to treat the low folate.

Reading your response it would seem  that the oral folic acid supplement may noy be the choice to treat his low folate.

I am going to start with testing his Folate and Cobolamin and go from there.

--

April 16, 2018 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator
Remember the tests are 12 hr fasted, can I just check, you give 1/2 teaspoon tylan twice daily, what weigh is Zeus? It is weight doseaged........jean
--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

April 17, 2018 at 3:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zeus

Jean - My signature wont update for current dosage and routine. In the original post i noted he weighs 84.6 and that he is receiving 1/8 tsp. of tylan twice a day.

Thanks for the fasting reminder

April 17, 2018 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

sorry for overwhelming.... i tend to try and cover all the possibilities to discuss with your vet....and in my effort i do go overboard and overwhelm.... but hopefully buried somewhere is some useful information for you.

Also.... Jean raised an EXCELLENT point... regarding how much Tylan you are giving... that could also be the underlying problem. If Zeus weighs 84lbs... he should be getting 1/4 tsp of Tylan twice a day.... you just might not be giving him enough tylan at 1/8 tsp twice a day....and that could have allowed SID to become a little uncontrolled and that might be why his appetite is wanning..... inappetence is one of the early symptom of uncontrolled SID with some dogs.

--

April 17, 2018 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zeus

Olesia, Thanks for the further suggestion. I have an appointment today at the vet. Lots to talk about :)

April 18, 2018 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Good Luck and keep us posted :)... as a matter of fact... if you want, please feel free to print our responses and share with your vet so that he/she can review and decide what would be best/appropriate for Zeus

--

April 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Good luck at the vet.  Let us know how it goes.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

April 18, 2018 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.