Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Omega 3 and biotin

Sandemac
Kenzie has been diagnosed with arthritis in two paws mainly due to deformity from the partial removal of a toe and claw as a pup. We have finally settled on previcox for the pain and inflammation. However recently she has had some swelling around the deformed pad and her nails in general are bad. Her claws have always been a bit prone to breakage and we have always tried to keep them trimmed. They have got worse, particularly the rear paws. The vet suggested some fish oil and I have researched biotin for nail repair. My query is, is there any knowledge 're using these with epi, should I start the fish oil very slowly? The biotin is one per day so will put that in her food. Any advice please? Thanks
--
Kenzie dob 5/06/2010. Bood tests June 2015 TLI 4, vets started us on Panzym and changed to home cooked diet. 1/2 tsp on all meals, gradually reducing to 1/4 TSP per meal. Responded well until Sep 2015 very bad runs, nothing staying in and vomiting. After finding this website, re quested copies of blood tests - B12 v low 154 and folate high!!! Antibiotics, B12 weekly injections, steroids and one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Runs stopped, started extra meals of Canagan grain free game kibble in between home cooked mainly Turkey chicken, mince, organ meat in small amounts, fish, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, apple, banana, sardines, eggs. All previous trials with kibble had immediate bad effect . Pre Jun 2015 weight 34kg Sep 2015 weight 26.9 kg. Sep 2015, upped enzyme to 1 TSP enzyme on kibble and 1 TSP on home cooked, huge improvement.

Jan 2016 stopped home cooked, 3 kibble meals, introducing Yorkshire grain free. Doing fine till early Feb, pooing more and on and off mushy. Changed food to Millies Wolfheart, immediate improvement. Blood tests end Feb 2016 B12 - 810 Folate - 11 TLI - 3.9 March 2016 - 3/4 tsp Panzym per meal (150g) 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Bloods May 2017, TLi -3.2 folate - 24 B12 1000 poos not good Upped enzymes to 1 tsp per meal, b12 tabs down to one every 3 days, still 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day. Within a few days, poos vastly improved and consistent. Aug 17 Anal glands infected, two lots of anti biotics, stopped tylan. Tried slippery elm, no good, back on Tylan 23 Sep, poos better.
May 19, 2018 at 5:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hello i tried to search the forum but didnt come up with any hits on Biotin ..what ever you add just do it slowly Maddie never did well on Salmon oil but others on here do..but  she was fine on coconut oil..so as with evrything baby steps...just be careful with the claws there is  a condition called SLO  that is common in GSds but i imagine your vet has disccused this with you...she certainly going through it  poor gal and you.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

May 19, 2018 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
Thanks, I am aware of slo, the vet did not mention it. Checking online, biotin and omega oils seem to be the standard treatment. Started both last night, smaller amount of the oil than recommended, so will watch carefully as always for ill effects. One of her claws (where the partial toe was removed) almost sticks upwards so I constantly worry that will catch on something and of course she loves to run! I have wondered if it may be better to have it removed but have not discussed this yet with hubby or vet.
--
Kenzie dob 5/06/2010. Bood tests June 2015 TLI 4, vets started us on Panzym and changed to home cooked diet. 1/2 tsp on all meals, gradually reducing to 1/4 TSP per meal. Responded well until Sep 2015 very bad runs, nothing staying in and vomiting. After finding this website, re quested copies of blood tests - B12 v low 154 and folate high!!! Antibiotics, B12 weekly injections, steroids and one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Runs stopped, started extra meals of Canagan grain free game kibble in between home cooked mainly Turkey chicken, mince, organ meat in small amounts, fish, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, apple, banana, sardines, eggs. All previous trials with kibble had immediate bad effect . Pre Jun 2015 weight 34kg Sep 2015 weight 26.9 kg. Sep 2015, upped enzyme to 1 TSP enzyme on kibble and 1 TSP on home cooked, huge improvement.

Jan 2016 stopped home cooked, 3 kibble meals, introducing Yorkshire grain free. Doing fine till early Feb, pooing more and on and off mushy. Changed food to Millies Wolfheart, immediate improvement. Blood tests end Feb 2016 B12 - 810 Folate - 11 TLI - 3.9 March 2016 - 3/4 tsp Panzym per meal (150g) 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Bloods May 2017, TLi -3.2 folate - 24 B12 1000 poos not good Upped enzymes to 1 tsp per meal, b12 tabs down to one every 3 days, still 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day. Within a few days, poos vastly improved and consistent. Aug 17 Anal glands infected, two lots of anti biotics, stopped tylan. Tried slippery elm, no good, back on Tylan 23 Sep, poos better.
May 20, 2018 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

Sounds like you're on a good plan. When I started Doc on salmon oil I did it very slowly and eventually worked up to the full dose - he never could tolerate coconut oil - even the smallest amount gave him bad poops.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

May 21, 2018 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
Is salmon oil the best?
--

May 22, 2018 at 3:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patsy

I read that salmon oil was best, and have used it, but actually I found that the Millies food had it in it anyway, and was quite high in oils and fats, so I gave up.  Supplements like this take six weeks to assimilate in the body, so it's up to you.  When I made a home made raw mix for my non Epi dog,  it was part of the recipe to add salmon oil or coconut oil if it was a meat based food. What I often do for my pets is to add  a tinned sardine or mackerel , not in brine, which went down a treat. 50p. Or kipper skin , when My OH is out and and I treat myself as well !

--

Marti  Springer Spaniel, owned by Patsy, Sheffield, England.  She died age 12yrs 6mths  on 27/11/14 from heart failure. Diagnosed after three months, when she was 4 years old,she dropped from 24 kilos to 17 kg.  initially she also had protein losing enteropathy, treated with steroids, ,raw sores on back, obsessive thirst, bursting bowels and biadder, then stable after 2 years.   Developed another autoimmune problem with muscular myositis on head ( muscles wasted away, leaving gaunt hollows.)  She also suffered sometimes from  bottom end thrush, anal  gland infections, and recurrent SIBO treated with 4 weeks of oxytetracycline each time. 

Enzymes: Panzym caused mouth problems, resulting in tooth removal , as I didn't know at the time how caustic it was. I changed to one Lypex  then used VetUk Pancreatic Nutrient tablets, and one Chemeyes because it is half the strength, and I didn't need to use two vet uk ones. Then 3 Chemeyes or  2 pancreatic Nutrient  per meal. 

B12 injection monthly.  Trinfac B12 + intrinsic factor capsules from Chemeyes daily. Metacam for knee joints.  Also used Yumpro Bio pre/probiotics.

Food: picky eater,tinned  Chappie saved her life  till she would eat kibble again.  Eden Holistic, Millies Wolfheart and Lily's Kitchen all good,chicken and grain free.

Vets, one caring learner, who had  nervous breakdown, replaced by obnoxious vet , so I rang round  interviewing them to find someone I trusted and would work with us. Since losing Marti and Bob, I have changed again since the good vet us retired.

RIP Bobby the cocker , from PLN.  Present pet, Tinker the fluffy little grey Greek rescue dog. New addition, Jack ,  a neglected rescue terrier, looks like a fox cub and so happy to to be healthy and loved.

May 23, 2018 at 3:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Salmon oil is recommended on here ...i used  the fish 4 dogs one ...basically because the company is local to me !

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

May 23, 2018 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.