Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dietary advice

maryann

I havn't been on here for ages as Stella has been very stable.  Over the last few months we have had problems with vomiting, & even though she has been stable on the same food for years I put it down to problems with any food containing beef so we just stuck to chicken & lamb (grain free). Even then she would sometimes throw up, but often as much as 7 hours after eating.  

She has also lost weight even though I am now feeding her 3 times a day on home-cooked chicken breast, sweet potato, some rice and a small amount of coconut oil for 2 meals and a dry salmon kibble last thing. For years her weight was constant at around 17.4kg but since February she has dropped to 16.4kg. 

Her poo is a normal as an EPI dog's ever is and she's not drinking excessively and loves her food.  She is 12 now so is slowing down a lot and has lost muscle mass because she isn't allowed to race around anymore (she has chronic tendonitis in her elbow).but that much weight loss in a month doesn't seem to fit.

She had a blood test yesterday which came back normal and the vet couldn't find anything obvious from an external exam so she is having an ultrasound next week . I guess my question is how do other people keep weight on their senior and less active dogs?

--

Mary Ann & Stella

Melbourne, Australia

Stella is a 9 year old Staffy who weighed approx 20kg in May 2010. Diagnosed with EPI in August 2010 at 16.4kg. TLI <1. Dropped to 15.4kg. Feeding a mixture of VIP Natures Goodness kibble and tinned food (all grain free) 2x per day plus 1 Creon 25,000 capsule. This food is available from Woolworths supermarkets and is much cheaper than the imported foods.  Stella has been very stable on it.  She also has 1 Tylan 165mg capsule every day as she is very prone to SIBO. At night she has 1 acidophilus capsule, 1 intrinsic factor Vit B capsule and 1/4 tsp of slippery elm. So many pills she rattles, but hey, whatever works is OK with me.

Stella last weighed in at 17.3kg and is looking pretty good. :)

May 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
Hi, when I home cooked for Kenzie, we found that she could not do rice. Maybe stop the rice?
--
Kenzie dob 5/06/2010. Bood tests June 2015 TLI 4, vets started us on Panzym and changed to home cooked diet. 1/2 tsp on all meals, gradually reducing to 1/4 TSP per meal. Responded well until Sep 2015 very bad runs, nothing staying in and vomiting. After finding this website, re quested copies of blood tests - B12 v low 154 and folate high!!! Antibiotics, B12 weekly injections, steroids and one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Runs stopped, started extra meals of Canagan grain free game kibble in between home cooked mainly Turkey chicken, mince, organ meat in small amounts, fish, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, apple, banana, sardines, eggs. All previous trials with kibble had immediate bad effect . Pre Jun 2015 weight 34kg Sep 2015 weight 26.9 kg. Sep 2015, upped enzyme to 1 TSP enzyme on kibble and 1 TSP on home cooked, huge improvement.

Jan 2016 stopped home cooked, 3 kibble meals, introducing Yorkshire grain free. Doing fine till early Feb, pooing more and on and off mushy. Changed food to Millies Wolfheart, immediate improvement. Blood tests end Feb 2016 B12 - 810 Folate - 11 TLI - 3.9 March 2016 - 3/4 tsp Panzym per meal (150g) 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Bloods May 2017, TLi -3.2 folate - 24 B12 1000 poos not good Upped enzymes to 1 tsp per meal, b12 tabs down to one every 3 days, still 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day. Within a few days, poos vastly improved and consistent. Aug 17 Anal glands infected, two lots of anti biotics, stopped tylan. Tried slippery elm, no good, back on Tylan 23 Sep, poos better.
May 26, 2018 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator
Hi, I agree with Sandemac to maybe try the diet without the rice. The other thing is as the EPI pups age sometimes you need to adjust the enzymes up a tad till you get results you want.
--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

May 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maryann

Thanks for the responses.  The vet didn't seem to think rice would be a problem, but I'll cut it out of the next batch of cooking and see how we go.

--

Mary Ann & Stella

Melbourne, Australia

Stella is a 9 year old Staffy who weighed approx 20kg in May 2010. Diagnosed with EPI in August 2010 at 16.4kg. TLI <1. Dropped to 15.4kg. Feeding a mixture of VIP Natures Goodness kibble and tinned food (all grain free) 2x per day plus 1 Creon 25,000 capsule. This food is available from Woolworths supermarkets and is much cheaper than the imported foods.  Stella has been very stable on it.  She also has 1 Tylan 165mg capsule every day as she is very prone to SIBO. At night she has 1 acidophilus capsule, 1 intrinsic factor Vit B capsule and 1/4 tsp of slippery elm. So many pills she rattles, but hey, whatever works is OK with me.

May 27, 2018 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandemac
I suppose as rice is a grain and the general recommend is for grain free feeding? That's how it was explained to us, and worked!
--
Kenzie dob 5/06/2010. Bood tests June 2015 TLI 4, vets started us on Panzym and changed to home cooked diet. 1/2 tsp on all meals, gradually reducing to 1/4 TSP per meal. Responded well until Sep 2015 very bad runs, nothing staying in and vomiting. After finding this website, re quested copies of blood tests - B12 v low 154 and folate high!!! Antibiotics, B12 weekly injections, steroids and one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Runs stopped, started extra meals of Canagan grain free game kibble in between home cooked mainly Turkey chicken, mince, organ meat in small amounts, fish, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, apple, banana, sardines, eggs. All previous trials with kibble had immediate bad effect . Pre Jun 2015 weight 34kg Sep 2015 weight 26.9 kg. Sep 2015, upped enzyme to 1 TSP enzyme on kibble and 1 TSP on home cooked, huge improvement.

Jan 2016 stopped home cooked, 3 kibble meals, introducing Yorkshire grain free. Doing fine till early Feb, pooing more and on and off mushy. Changed food to Millies Wolfheart, immediate improvement. Blood tests end Feb 2016 B12 - 810 Folate - 11 TLI - 3.9 March 2016 - 3/4 tsp Panzym per meal (150g) 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day one B12 with intrinsic factor per day. Bloods May 2017, TLi -3.2 folate - 24 B12 1000 poos not good Upped enzymes to 1 tsp per meal, b12 tabs down to one every 3 days, still 1/4 tsp Tylan twice a day. Within a few days, poos vastly improved and consistent. Aug 17 Anal glands infected, two lots of anti biotics, stopped tylan. Tried slippery elm, no good, back on Tylan 23 Sep, poos better.
May 27, 2018 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paige's Guardian

HI,

How often is she vomiting?  Is it really vomit (smell of acid and bile) or, is it regurgitation?  What does come up at 7 hours after her meals?  Is it her meal/food or is it just yellow bile and phlegm?

Conny

May 27, 2018 at 1:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc's Mom
Administrator

I'm so sorry you are having problems with your sweet baby.  We have noticed over the years that as they age, they might need a wee bit more enzymes.  I would try that first.  Since it started before introducing the rice it's hard to know if rice is a factor but I would suggest eliminating the rice.  It could also be just too long without food in the stomach if you notice a pattern of after a certain amount of time she vomits.  I know with my boy if I wait too long between the last meal of the day and the first meal he will occasionally vomit.

Keep a detailed log as I'm sure you are and hopefully you will figure out what is going on.

--

MADELON and DOC aka "BUBBY WUBBY"

Nashville, Tennessee

DOB: 4/3/2014 - Diagnosed EPI and SIBO: 5/22/2015
EPI Test Results: 1st test 7/2014 = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate > 24; 
2nd test 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24; 3rd test 10/2015   TLI < .4; B12 >1000; Folate 14.4

Weight: 95 (highest 1/2015) - 76 (lowest 5/2015) - goal met 100lb (7/23/15) - 101.8LBS 12/3/15 - CHUNKY MONKEY

History prior to DX:  May/June 2014 (2mos old) - DX coccidia and bladder infection; July 2014 (3mos old) 1st EPI test = TLI 16.5, B12 894, Folate >24 - Diagnosed SIBO not EPI; Feb 2015 thru May 2015 - weight loss only; May  2015 vomitted several times, diarrhea and eating poop.

History since DX: has maintained weight between 95-101lbs since July 2015; extreme yeast and rod infection in ears; yeast infection paws (ongoing); bacterial eye infection; bacterial skin infection on legs; poops LIVE fly larvae; diagnosed with mild, focal superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) - rare lesions on inner thighs; bacterial and yeast overgrowth lip folds; yeast overgrowth feet and left ear; metacarpal/metatarsal draining tracts/fistulae (infection and/or immune mediated disease; probable underlying allergy (food vs. environmental ); staphylococcus pseudintermedius infection in sores on paws; recurring metatarsal fistula - all issues resolved after NutriScan Food Sensitivity Test and switching foods.

NUTRISCAN Food Sensitivity Test (12/2015): reactive to chicken, turkey, white fish, wheat, white potato (mild), venison, soy (mild), pork (mild), duck (mild), corn - switching food based on test resolved all skin issues.

Serum Allergy Test (5/2016): Too many to mention

CURRENTLY :  6 cups Forza10 Legend Skin - Diane 6x 1tsp per cup; 1 WonderLab PetFactor B12 2x day; 2 scoops TotalBiotics 1x day; 600mg vitamin E; 1 Zyrtec 10mg 2x day; Milk Thistle during heartworm/flea/tick meds

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions are based on my personal experiences, information gleaned from EPI research and information from other EPI owners.  Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet

SO THANKfUL FOR OUR EPI4DOGS GUARDIAN ANGELS!!!!!!!!

YOUR PAWS LEFT PRINTS ON MY HEART (in loving memory of Bugsy aka Boo Boo - Boston Terrier 14yrs - not EPI but medically challenging and totally worth it)

May 28, 2018 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy & Piper
Administrator

Piper could not tolerate rice at all but throwing up was never due to EPI, it was due to Cushings Disease.  Hopefully you get some answers from the Ultrasound.  It wouldn't hurt to tweak the enzymes just a little to see if that helps. 

--
Piper - Diagnosed 21 Jan 14 at approx 16 months of age TLI 0.3
            DOB - late Sept/early Oct 2012 (found as a stray in a remote Northern Labrador community at approx 3 - 4 months of age)
Using Enzyme Diane 6x 
B12 shots every week at home as well as 2 pills per day
 Eating Pulsar Lamb or Pork
67lbs at time of diagnosis, now 118lbs.
Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism Sept 2014, taking Thyro 0.6mg 2 x daily. 
Piper also has Cushings Disease, allergies and a host of other things but she's happy and we spend our time going for Quality of Quantity because, at the end of the day, that's what's most important
I am not a Vet.  Anything I share or suggest on this site is strictly from my experience as the owner of an EPI dog.  It is recommended that suggested on this forum be discussed with your Vet.

May 29, 2018 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maryann

Doc's Mom at May 28, 2018 at 7:26 PM

I'm so sorry you are having problems with your sweet baby.  We have noticed over the years that as they age, they might need a wee bit more enzymes.  I would try that first.  Since it started before introducing the rice it's hard to know if rice is a factor but I would suggest eliminating the rice.  It could also be just too long without food in the stomach if you notice a pattern of after a certain amount of time she vomits.  I know with my boy if I wait too long between the last meal of the day and the first meal he will occasionally vomit.

Keep a detailed log as I'm sure you are and hopefully you will figure out what is going on.

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think that maybe going too long without food is causing the problem.  The nausea and vomiting generally happens in the late afternoon or early evening as I'm leaving work. She eats grass then vomits mainly bile, there isn't a lot of food left by then.

She currently has 3 meals a day, breakfast, dinner and supper, but I'm going to try adding lunch and giving her smaller meals which will be easier on her system.

She is taking Creon capsules and increasing the enzyme would mean doubling the dose so I'll try the small more frequent meals first.  I don't honestly think the rice is causing her any problems, and I've cut down the amount to a minimum.

--

Mary Ann & Stella

Melbourne, Australia

June 7, 2018 at 12:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.