EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > FILES > All about POOP!

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Many of us have questions about varying colors of poop with an EPI dog. 

The short list of stool color-condition possible indication are as follows:

1. Mucus indicates a possible imbalance in the colon, or possible lining shedding.
2. Tarry black stools indicate bleeding in the upper part of the intestinal tract.
3. Red blood in the stool indicates problems in lower intestine or rectum/anal area (blood in the stool can indicate parasites, ingesting something sharp and un-digestable, or infections, polyps,cancer and allergies.)
4. Gray (or pale yellowish-grey) stools may indicate liver problems. Not enough bile production.
5. Yellow or orange stools usually indicate an imbalance. Most often it means there is not enough good bacteria. (possible SIBO). Other causes cab be certain foods, medications, and/or supplements.
6. Green stools may indicate decreased bowel transit time and/or not enough good bacteria.
7. White stools may indicate too much bone material passed unabsorbed.
8. Large volume of stools indicate improper absorption of nutrients. (Unless you are feeding your pet a vegetarian diet or one high in fiber, which will normally result in a larger volume of stools).

The biggest concern with an EPI dog is yellowish poop that is “usually” indicative of SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) ... but sometimes, there are other benign reasons.

LACK OF GOOD BACTERIA

Although not always the reason, usually with an EPI dog, we tend to err onthe side of caution. If the color of poop is yellowishor orangey-yellow, we suspect SIBO and recommend that the dog be treated with appropriate antibiotics, especially if gas and/or tummy rumbling also accompany the orangey-yellow poop. Even without these symptoms though, sometimes an EPI dog still has SIBO lurking in the background and it will need to be treated.

POOP PHYSIOLOGY

Poop physiology is that food is mixed with this bile which moves through the digestive tract, as it is turning from green to yellow-orange to brown.

Bright yellow is actually the natural color of bile, as it is passing on its way through the intestines. But it is the work of good bacteria that converts original bile pigments (bile salts) into brown or medium-brown.

Bile + good bacteria are what gives stool its final brown color. http://adventuresofbradandjordan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/poop.gif" />

The liver constantly secretes bile into the gallbladder and then into small intestine. Bile released from the gallbladder can be bright green or sometimes orange or bright yellow because as bile makes its way through the intestines, it progressively changes color from green to yellow/orange to brown, due to the action of bacteria in the large intestine on the bile salts, bile pigments.

If a stool is bright yellow, then there is most likely more than enough bile. This may actually indicate a large amount of bile,speeding up the bowel transit time, indirectly affecting stool color, causing shorter bowel transit time which can mean there is not enough time for the bile to turn brown and not enough time for the good bowel bacteria to do their job, simply because there is not enough good bacteria. In order for the poop to become medium-brown or brown, good bacteria is needed!

This is why when we see yellowish stools with an EPI dog, we become concerned and recommend that an EPI dog be treated with antibiotics, since EPI dogs tend to have SIBO as a secondary condition accompanying EPI 50-70% of the time.

However, just because the stool is a funky color does not always mean there is a problem. Sometimes poop is a weird color simply because of what is in the food that the dog was fed.

But there may be other causes. Sometimes this yellow or orange color can be caused by certain foods or medications.

Some foods that can result in orange-yellow color poop are (but not limited to):

Carrots

Carrot juice

Red Beet juice

Any Red colored juice like red raspberries

Cilantro

Collard greens

Fresh thyme

Kale

Sweet potatoes

Spinach

Turnip greens

Winter squash

Medications and Supplements that can cause orange-colored stools include those containing beta-carotene (sometimes found in vitamin A) and aluminum hydroxide(which can be found in antacids).

Sometimes there are benign  reasons....for example eating beef will cause darker stools vs. eating chicken. Or eating greater portions of  meat  produces darker stools vs. lesser portions of meat.  And eating duck meat most likely will produce darker colored poop vs. eating chicken meat....

Yellow/orange stool may indicate that food has passed through the intestines faster than normal or that there is not enough good bacteria.

Any food with artificial yellow or orange coloring may cause lighter stools.

GI MAINTENANCE

While the causes and symptoms of GI problems are varied, bacteria can get out of balance when an animal experiences frequent bouts of diarrhea, regularly eats an ill-suited diet and/or has been taking antibiotics for long periods. So in the case of EPI dogs who have a high incidence of SIBO where long duration of antibiotics are prescribed….many of these dogs can benefit from a more healthful diet and inclusion of nutrients/vitamins/pre & probiotics that help repair the intestinal wall, reduce inflammation and restore the proper balance of good bacteria.

Maintaining cell wall integrity (not allowing food particles to pass through) and having the proper balance of beneficial bacteria can help to get an EPI dog back on tract to having a properly working digestive system.

Some items that may provide beneficial support to the digestive system are as follows:

Lactobacillus - A probiotic that has been shown to help treat diarrhea caused by bacterial overgrowth.

L-Glutamine - An amino acid which fuels intestinal cells and helpsmaintain mucosal cell integrity.

Slippery Elm - An emollient that provides soothing protection for themucus membranes of the intestinal tract.

Saccharomyces boulardi - a beneficial yeast that decreases intestinal permeability.

N-acetyglucosamine - Helps heal the inflamed bowel lining by supporting glycoprotein synthesis.

DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) - supports the healing process in the intestinal lining by increasing blood flow and reducing muscle spasms.

And last but not least, watch your dog’s body temperature. The average temperature of a dog is between 99 and 102.5 degrees. While the average temperature is 101 degrees F, or 38 degrees C, it can quickly accelerate from there. Prevention is worth a pound of cure so if you notice temperatures above 101 in your dog..... please contact your veterinarian.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

April 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mandyblur

You never cease to amaze me on the useful information you have! Thank you.

--

Guided through life by my EPI angel Daisy. Always loved and never forgotten. x

Mummy to two crazy Non EPI pups - Charlie a beautiful 1 year old partially blind border collie x great dane mix and Brandy a 2 year old cocker spaniel. Both as crazy and hyper as each other :).

April 8, 2010 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Hey Mandy, can you imagine posting this information elswhere?! They'd have us all committed!!!

Seriously though....  poop really does give us the best indication of what is going on :wink: so i thought this might be of some use.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

April 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mandyblur

lol - i keep posting status's on facebook about Daisys poops - you can just feel what people are thinking lol

It is very helpful though - and will certainly give some people a point in the right direction!

Oh i worked out that it was the pasta that was causing Daisy to have yellow poops! I still can't work out why the vet told me to put her on it - it was definately Daisys biggest problem.

--

Guided through life by my EPI angel Daisy. Always loved and never forgotten. x

Mummy to two crazy Non EPI pups - Charlie a beautiful 1 year old partially blind border collie x great dane mix and Brandy a 2 year old cocker spaniel. Both as crazy and hyper as each other :).

April 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kathy and Ted

This is very good, O. I remember being so confused in the beginning with Ted and poop. Not knowing exactly what I was striving for since the only definition for good EPI poop I had heard was "tootsie roll".

--

Kathy

Ted GSD rescue gained 39 lbs

9/1/2002 – 11/27/2012

LK Non-EPI GSD rescue about 11 yrs old at adoption (Jan 25, 2013)

April 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Thanks Kathy...... sometimes the  strange-looking poops can really scare the heck out of us... so, although it doesn't give us all the answers, at least it gives us some idea of what "might" be going on..............

Mandy... your vet might have been trying to include "some" fiber for Daisy thinking she had some IBD going on too./.. but so glad you figured out that the pasta was not agreeing with her!   WOW... you really are becoming a veteran EPI'r!!! :wink:

OMG Kathy... i just read your signature... Teddy went from 72 in Jan to 109lbs now.... http://blogs.app.com/saywhat/files/2008/12/fat-dog.jpg" />  Whoa... tell hefty dude now! Congrats on the weight gain!

--

April 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda

This is great Olesia...I'm so glad you've started this thread.  The only thing I see that you didn't add is that different foods so seem to make a bit of a difference in color.  Feeding a food with poultry makes Akira's poop the lightest.  Duck seems to make it the darkest. 

--

Linda, Akira, Indy and the bratcats

Akira 101 lb GSD, DOB 9/18/03 Dx'd before her first birthday.  First TLI score 1.1, retested 9/07 score had lowered to 0.7.  "Normally" eats 1 1/2 cups Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion, twice daily with a couple of tablespoons of whatever additions I give that particular meal (veggies, yogurt, rice, beef or venision as an ever changing teaser), just a bit of hot water and mixed well .  1 1/2 t Pancreatin (or 1 t per cup of food) 8x enzymes given right before each meal in heaping t meat baby food with warm water and mixed to a gruel type texture.   As soon as she eats her enzyme mixture, I put her food down

April 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kathy and Ted

No, Teddy didn't put on 37 lbs since January of this year! He weighed 72 lbs Jan 2009 and now weighs 109 lbs. He did put on 39 lbs in less than a year, I  think it was about 9 or 10 months.  Vet says he looked fantastic at 111 lbs and it was perfect for his frame but we both thought he should be kept on the really lean side because of his funky rear so he has dropped 2 lbs and I'd like to take another 5 or 6 lbs off him. I never thought those words would come out of my mouth!

--

Kathy

Ted GSD rescue gained 39 lbs

9/1/2002 – 11/27/2012

LK Non-EPI GSD rescue about 11 yrs old at adoption (Jan 25, 2013)

April 10, 2010 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

aHa..Kathy........that's what i get for reading so fast... thanks for for bringing that to my attention that it was Jan 2009 not this January....but still... that is such great news that he has filled out so nicely..... and yes... it is so amazing when we have to put them on a diet... considering how bad they all are when first diagnosed!.

Linda, thaks for the chicken vs. duck and poop coloring.... i have now also included that in the "All about Poop!" FILE..... the more possibilities that we can list the more helpful the FILE will be. . thanks!!!!!!

--

April 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Olesia,

I've been meaning to comment on this wonderful thread idea, but I need to know...Where did you get that photo??? I NEED to contact that dogs owner and find out what kind of training was involved!!! :lol: Seriously, with three dogs, if I could get them to pick up their own poop, I'd save at least a couple of hours a week of my time!!! :tongue:

--

Donna

Owned by Tara, a 8 YO GSD w/EPI and DM dx'd at about a year old. Fed Taste of the Wild Lamb formular kibble and enhance this diet with cooked meat, veggies and fruit, Enzymes: Pancreatin 8x - 1 tsp per cup of food. Suppliments include 1000 mg Wild Salmon oil, Glucosomine/Chondrotin/MSM and Probiotic acidophilus. Stable since 2005 Also owned by sidekicks' Zoey my rescued GSD and Max, a 10 MO PWC rescue - along with Tess (GSD) and  Zeke (PWC) with Angel wings

April 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Hi Donna ~

Got the photo from Google Images.

Wouldn't that be great... if we only could.... teach our dogs to pick up their own poop :D!

--

April 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vonrauch

Thank you for this!

April 12, 2010 at 12:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank Dajnowicz

Hi Olesia,

My problem with Ayasha is, she does pick up after herself, just not  with the pooper scooper. 

Frank

April 12, 2010 at 8:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

oh Frank...that was so well said!!!  http://pediatrics.duke.edu/wysiwyg/images/Kyra-chuckling-to-herself8.jpg" />.... i bet a lot of EPI owners can relate .........................

--

April 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda

Frank:

I must have a sick mind...your comment made me laugh :D!!!

--

Akira 101 lb GSD, DOB 9/18/03 Dx'd before her first birthday.  First TLI score 1.1, retested 9/07 score had lowered to 0.7.  "Normally" eats 1 1/2 cups Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion, twice daily with a couple of tablespoons of whatever additions I give that particular meal (veggies, yogurt, rice, beef or venision as an ever changing teaser), just a bit of hot water and mixed well .  1 1/2 t Pancreatin (or 1 t per cup of food) 8x enzymes given right before each meal in heaping t meat baby food with warm water and mixed to a gruel type texture.   As soon as she eats her enzyme mixture, I put her food down

April 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank Dajnowicz

Linda,

Not a sick mind, just a sick dog.

Frank

April 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

sick dog, sick minds.. we cover all the bases here  :wink:

--

April 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda

I know what it is...these dogs of ours have sent us all around the bend :tongue:

--

April 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Linda....... ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

April 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anja & Wanda

I must have a sick mind too. I chuckled too. I think most of us are around the bend and back again. We are all excellent poop inspectors.:wink:

April 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

192 views - 1 comment
875 views - 4 comments
924 views - 2 comments
2178 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "To say I am "satisfied" is an understatement. Thank you for putting this site together, for collecting the valuable information and the willingness to share. At a time when ..."
    One Satisfied Customer...
  • "Hello to everyone, I know it can be very overwhelming when your animal has been diagnosed with EPI, I know I was! GSD Orion was diagnosed Fall of 2011 and I was so scared. ..."
    Encouragement To All
  • "When a child is sick, there is limited things you can do. They can't tell you where it hurts or what's wrong. The days before Kobe's diagnosis of EPI were filled with fear, worr..."
    The only place

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator