Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Capsule production lab

AK GSD

I thought I would post a picture for anyone that has not seen what a capsule loading machine is like.  A few of you may notice in this picture we are not loading the yellow Tylan powder but rather the powder enzymes into the gel caps and wonder why.   Boss will not eat food with enzymes prepared in the normal fashion and we have had good luck using both the Creon enzymes (human grade, time release, mini-spheres that come in capsules) and powder enzymes loaded into capsules and given together at the same time.  The "00" size capsule holds 1/4 teaspoon.

--

January 29, 2011 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lynn

This is a great idea Becky.  I think many people don't know that these capsule making machines are around.  I know I tried to buy one for Megg at one time, but ended up just filling them manually.  Took a long time though & very messy.  I'm sure these machines do the job very quickly & efficiently.

--

Lynn,

From Melbourne, Australia. Owned by Tess (Irish Setter), Grace (English Setter) & Megg, my beautiful 'English' EPI Angel - Forever in my heart.

January 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Miss Lulupants
Administrator

And here's a variation on the theme I just happened to have handy...

But now I want one like Becky's with a smiling helmeted happy capsule man cutting the drugs for me! 

--

Craig 

Lulu (aka Miss Lulupants) is an 8 year old 'Red Shepherd' (Australian Red Heeler x Long-hair GSD) who lives on the Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia. Diagnosed with EPI in April 2010. Currently on one Creon 25k per meal; 2 cups Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula kibble per day (over two meals) + a few drops of Omega 3&6 oil with evening meal. One Wonderlabs Trinfac every so often along with a wad of coconut fat just for kicks. Click here for diet/med details. Miss Lulupants' story has been archived but it starts here. Lulu currently weighs: 19kg (42 pounds) and occasionally reverts to being a Chunky Monkey :P Lulu is super-smart, survived at least one red-bellied black snake bite and is very pretty (everybody says so - including her!)

January 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Hi Becky,

We had the same one as you but sent it off to Peri when she was pilling Dutch his enzymes.  It does work, but I found I needed to use even more enzymes than if I put it in Tara's food and all the olive oil in Italy didn't make the 10-12 caps per meal we had to use go down any easier!  :)

--

Donna

Owned by Tara, a 8 YO GSD w/EPI and DM dx'd at about a year old. Fed Taste of the Wild Lamb formular kibble and enhance this diet with cooked meat, veggies and fruit, Enzymes: Pancreatin 8x - 1 tsp per cup of food. Suppliments include 1000 mg Wild Salmon oil, Glucosomine/Chondrotin/MSM and Probiotic acidophilus. Stable since 2005 Also owned by sidekicks' Zoey my rescued GSD and Max, a 10 MO PWC rescue - along with Tess (GSD) and  Zeke (PWC) with Angel wings

January 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Cool!  thanks for posting.......Great pictures...i have seen the gelatin capsules... but had no idea what the capsule loading machine lookde like.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

January 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hans

I"m very glad you posted this because holidays are for the dogs too around here and we usually give Hans his Holiday meal with out emzymes. Then come January (like we are now )  out comes the Tylan!! (thanksgiving,, christmas,, new years meals do it)  I said to hubby about doing the cap thing from now on when we do holiday meals.

This reinforces the idea..............Thank you very much

--

Sharon and Hans; Hans is EPI and Lymes Positive, his birthday is 12/11/04 (GSD) His TLI was 1.0 on 10/17/08 When Diagnosed Down to .4 4/2/10. Weight 65 pounds on 12/08 now 95 pounds (Had him up to 104 in 2011)

1 1/2 cups Taste of the Wild Lamb, with very HOT water and soaked, then adding 1/2 pound Top Quaility Dog Food, boneless skinless turkey or Boneless skinless chicken breast.warmed in microwave for 15 to 20 seconds. 4 oz. Raw Pancreas not heated! Just warmed by sitting on counter while kibble soaked. All mixed together just before serving.

(Please note I don't not use powdered enzymes and the pancreas is added AFTER food and water has cooled)

February 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele
Administrator

Thanks for posting this - interesting - I keep hearing about them but never took the time to see what they actually were. Good info!!   :)

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie (10/15/08 - 11/8/15) - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   TOTW High Prarie, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   TOTW High Prarie, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

February 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cali

I don't get how the machines work? Is it really hard without the machines? I am just about to order the tylan and capsules. I would love any good advice you all could share! 

--

Cali 

February 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator

For the powdered enzymes, I pull apart a gel cap and set them in a little container of rice to keep them upright. Then I use tweezers and pick up one end of the capsule, dip it in the enzyme and bang the end on the lid, do that till its packed and full. Set the filled end back in the rice to hold it upright. Do the short end the same. then carefully pick up both ends, put together, and give Mick with some non fat cream cheese. But I only do this once a day, the other two meals I incubate the enzymes. Sorry haven't used a machine.

--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

photo 20160731_182901_zpsl5p1zcbs.jpg

February 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cali

ok thanks, i think i will try that method first. I am planing on doing this with the tylan powder, do you recommend any certain capsules? Or a certian size that works best. I will just drop the capsule down her throat. because she wont take it any other way. She is 50ish pounds...

--

Cali 

February 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

I cut up a piece of paper maybe about 2" x 2" and make an itty bitty funnel out of it.... and this is how i fill the empty gel cap with the Tylan powder...(that i have already measured out in an 1/8 of a teaspoon... BUT... i love Jill's idea of holding the capsule upright in rice.. GREAT idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cali.. my gal is (was) 50 lbs... we use 1/8 of a teaspoon of Tylan powder when we have to give it.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

February 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cali

thats a great idea too! i will definitly be trying out both of them when my products come in. What kind of capsules did you use? i was going to order from capsuline.com and get the bacon flavored size "0" capsules. Just want to make sure i;m getting the right products for the job! Very new to this all! 

I am ordering my "Tylan" powder from drs foster and smith.com, is this the best deal? its 45.00 for 100g. 

Can i also ask about the coconut oil and samon oils that i have been hearing alot about? I'm not sure i want to add these to her food yet, because she is not stable yet, its only week 3 for us. What do you suggest? I'm not sure whats ok or not at this point, i dont want to upset her stomach, ive read so many things its hard to take it all in.

--

Cali 

February 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Addiemoose
I have a capsule filler exactly like Craig's. works like a charm with no waste & very little mess. Was only $15 from amazon. Very simple to operate. I can make 72 capsules in about 15 minutes. I also buy the gelatin capsules from Amazon for about $6 & the Tylan is around $50.
--

Kelli & Addie

Shetland Sheepdog, 5 yr- old female, diagnosed 7/18/11. TLI 1.6, Folate >24, B-12 <150.

B-12 shots every week. Weight 28lbs then-now 40! Member of Chunky Monkey Club!

Feeding Canidae Pure Elements 1/2 C 2x/day, 1/8C at night. Mix & set 20 min.

Tylan 2x/day for recurring SIBO. Coconut Oil 1 tsp/day. Omeprisol 1/day for acid reflux

February 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cali

Kelli & Addie-

Thanks for the advice! I will check amazon out!!

--

Cali 

February 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ollies mom

This is awesome...Ollie won't eat food with enzymes on it either...hates the smell and I don't blame him.  I am going to try this....THANK YOU :) we have been incubating his enzymes in beef n broth baby food and then trying to hide that in his food.  He's on to us though!!!

--

Danielle & Oliver - 10 yr old Silky Terrier

Acute case of pancreatitis October 2009 - spent a week in the hospital in renal failure (misdiagnosed as Leptospirosis)

Feb 2012 - diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis,1/4tsp BioCase V with every meal. Dec 2012 - diagnosed with diabetes.

January-discovered Freestyle Gluclose meter was reading incorrectly...10 (180) points too low

April 13-stopped Creon, Pepcid and OcuGlo, started HK Preference w/boiled chicken and a liver support vitamin (Zentonil)...gained 1 lb in 3 weeks :)

February 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator

Mickey uses two regular strength Cosequin daily. I keep the gel caps because they hold 1/8 t of the enzyme. So I reuse them. Now thats penny pinching but I hate throwing those away.

Olesia: I was trying to think of what I could use that would hold the capsule upright. Only thing is I am now on the downside of 55(or the good side!) and my eyes are getting funky. the clear capsule against the white rice is getting pretty hard to see to grab ahold of with the tweezers. Sugar would work just as well, maybe better as the granules are a lot smaller. Sheesh, if its not one thing its another. I like the idea of the little machine.

--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

photo 20160731_182901_zpsl5p1zcbs.jpg

February 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cali

I have been reading alot of discussions on here as wel as ther sites and it seems like a lot of people give there EPI dogs 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

Can anyone help me out with where to get these? Just the grocerie store? Do you give the sardines as snack? Do they need to have enzymes on them, do you ass them in the food or what? Trying to get my little girl to pack on weight, we just finally got completely solid poops yesterday! (yay) 

Also, i have not yet started any antibiotics, or been tested for the B12 deficency, would you guys recommend still doing these things if she continues with normal poops, and is gaining weight? I need help and advice on this---not sure what i want to or should do?? 

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated :) 

--

Cali 

February 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Addiemoose

We recommend only giving salmon or coconut oil after your dog has been completely stable for several months, then try only one new thing at a time to see if they can tolerate it. Then you will know what the culprit is if you are back to bad poos. Not all of the dogs can tolerate the oils. As for sardines, same thing, wait and try one thing at a time. And yes, give with enzymes or an enzymed meal.

Your new normal will be food in=enzymes in.

I would highly recommend the B-12 for weight gain. If she hasnt been tested, she probably should be. Research has shown almost 100% of EPI are B-12 deficient. It plays a very important role in the 4 legs of the EPI table: food, enzymes, B-12 & treating for SIBO. The recommendation for  B-12 levels for EPI pups is over 600-they need to stay in the upper end of the range.

Initially B-12 injections are suggested weekly for 6 weeks. Then possibly, if she holds her levels, you might be able to use the B-12 capsules ( only buy the B-12 with intrinsic factor- regular B-12 will not be absorbed). Some dogs cannot hold their levels of B-12 unless they take the injections. It is not hard to give the shots yourself & not expensive. there is a video on the site that shows you how or you could let the vet do it.

--

Kelli & Addie

Shetland Sheepdog, 5 yr- old female, diagnosed 7/18/11. TLI 1.6, Folate >24, B-12 <150.

B-12 shots every week. Weight 28lbs then-now 40! Member of Chunky Monkey Club!

Feeding Canidae Pure Elements 1/2 C 2x/day, 1/8C at night. Mix & set 20 min.

Tylan 2x/day for recurring SIBO. Coconut Oil 1 tsp/day. Omeprisol 1/day for acid reflux

February 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Hi Cali....

I buy my Sardines (and sometimes "Kippers" ) in cans from Walmart... just check out the tuna fish section. I use the King Oscar brand, you can get them packed in water or olive oil with no salt ;).

I just top Izzy's food with one or two sardines or kipper that i pick out of the can... she LOVES them...

The coconut oil i order on line... the stuff that Walmart has is LouAnn's... and that is not the good stuff, but if you go to the health food stores they charge too much. I just order from Swansons (i like the Jarrow brand) the extra virgin (or cold pressed) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/jarrow-formulas-inc-coconut-oil-extra-virgin-454-grams-solid-oil

It looks like this: 

and i give 1 tsp every other day (i give fish oil on the inbetween days) mixed in with her food.

--

February 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cali

Question for you all.....My dog has formed poops finally...do i still need to put her on the antibiotics (tylan)? It's been about a week now...and we were only diagnosed a month ago. 

Got the B12 test this weekend, just waiting on those results....

What do you all think, or suggest? 

--

Cali 

March 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.