Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dehydrator treats

Michele
Administrator

A few of you have asked so here is the "recipe" for my treats made in the dehydrator.

I buy whatever beef roast is on sale - last time I used 2 london broils - they were on sale and I got 2 for $10.   Cook in oven for whatever time you need for the meat to cook through - let cool and pulverize in food processor - you want the mixture to be thick and pasty (may need to add tiny bit of water)  Sometimes I have cooked a sweet potato in the microwave - cooled that - and added the inside of the potato to the meat mixture in the food processor - if you do this you may not need water.   Here is a pic to give you an idea of what the consistency should look like.   Be careful to not add too much water - you want the paste to sit on the dehydrator tray and not squish through it.

Next, be sure the mixture is cooled - measure it to see how much you have and add 1tsp enzyme to 1 cup mixture (or whatever ratio you use) - mix enzymes and mixture in food processor until well blended - then let incubate the amount of time necessary for your particular dog (I do the 20 mins for my dogs).   After incubated put mixture in a gallon zip lock bag and cut one of the corners of the bag to make a pastry bag - do not cut the corner too big - you want to be able to make a strip about 1/2" big - maybe even smaller.  Squeeze onto trays.  Here's another picture of how it looks once on dehydrator trays - these were some thick strips you can even go a little thinner.

Set dehydrator to 155 degrees (68 celcius) - this is the highest temp I have on my dehydrator and I let it go for about 8 hrs.   You want it hard when done.   If it cooks too much it becomes very crumbly - cook to the consistency you feel best.    I break into big strips and refrigerate.   Since the pieces do break once in the bag initially I make them big this way if they do break it's ok.    Here's the final product.    

Good luck - it's not rocket science - so just wing it - it took me several times before I got the consistency right.    PLEASE only do this if your pup is stable and you think he/she can handle it - as we all know - what works for one may not work for another - so you may want to make a small batch just in case this does not work for your dog.    Hope you dogs enjoy!  :)

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie (10/15/08 - 11/8/15) - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   TOTW High Prarie, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   TOTW High Prarie, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

May 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alyssa

Yay!  Thanks!  I can't wait to try this out!

--

Proud mommy to Vito, 3(?) yr old GSD.  90lbs, goal weight 85-90lbs (ACHIEVED!).  Tested positive for EPI on March 30th, 2011.  His TLI was 1.0, Cobalamin 225, Folate 22.  Feeding 3 ups of Taste of the Wild High Prairie once a day with one heaping teaspoon of Pancreatin 8x enzymes per meal.

Also proud mommy of a (non EPI) Belgian Malinois tripod named Lizzie.  That means three legs. :P  Who is completely spoiled rotten, loves kids, and will be going into therapy dog training as soon as I can afford it.

"Sometimes it takes an imperfection to create perfection."

May 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

OMG... We got a Susie Homemaker  in our midst!!!   (a.k.a. Michele :D)

I just love, Love, LOVE that you did this AND posted pictures of it step by step for us. Way too cool!!!!! Now I want a dehydrator...... this looks great !!! Also (don't laugh) but does it come out kind of like beef jerky ..... i am so tired of traveling and eating junk food that i have started packing Beef jerky for my trips between Indiana and Virginia and i no longer get hungry ... nor am i "chuncking" up (if you get my drift) ...... so just wondering about this...

Also...Michele.... when you have time.....can you add this (pictures and all) to our FILES section... in the existing FILE about treats??? This would be fabulous to have there.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

May 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alyssa

Oh, you DEFINITELY should get a dehydrator!!  I make my own apple chips all the time, and lots of other healthy snacks!  They're only about 50-60 dollars, and totally worth it!

--

Proud mommy to Vito, 3(?) yr old GSD.  90lbs, goal weight 85-90lbs (ACHIEVED!).  Tested positive for EPI on March 30th, 2011.  His TLI was 1.0, Cobalamin 225, Folate 22.  Feeding 3 ups of Taste of the Wild High Prairie once a day with one heaping teaspoon of Pancreatin 8x enzymes per meal.

Also proud mommy of a (non EPI) Belgian Malinois tripod named Lizzie.  That means three legs. :P  Who is completely spoiled rotten, loves kids, and will be going into therapy dog training as soon as I can afford it.

"Sometimes it takes an imperfection to create perfection."

May 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gale Hull

Is there any reason not to use raw meat?  Teddie get raw tripe with every meal - I was going to try this with the tripe (not sure I can stand the odor of the tripe tho!!).   He is scheduled for CCL surgery in 10 days, and I expect I will need a lot of treats to keep my boy happy!

--

Gale, mom to Teddie, diagnosed w /EPI July 2012.  He is stable, almost had to join the chunky monkey club, but we have him back down to 78 pounds.  

Also mom to Sadie, who has hip dysplasia, seizures, Pannus....we hit the jackpot of genetic disorders with our rescue GSDs!!  But we love them and wouldn't trade for anything!!

September 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

She's Got Moxi
It should work fine as long as it's treated with enzymes. I make venison jerky for my family with my dehydrator. Good luck with the surgery!
--

Pat - mom to Moxi & Sadie (nonEPI) b 12/14/13

MOXI 7/16/12-8/15/13 Gone to the Rainbow Bridge too soon!  Parvo survivor - dx  EPI 3/19/2013 at 24#, got up to 41# before kidneys failed unrelated to EPI  Thank you for loving us, Moxi!      

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiquickguide.htm

http://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881

http://enzymediane.com/

MOXI'S JOURNEY IS DONE, BUT OUR ROAD GOES ON...

September 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.