EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Anyone have Anal Gland issues with their EPI dog??

Lisa

Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted.  We are having a wonderful summer and Jasmine has been doing great!!!  She is up 14 pounds since she was diagnosed. :)  I feel she is stable, her poops are good but in the last month she has been having problems with her anal glands.  She has never had a problem before.  I took her to the vet because she was constantly licking / chewing at her butt.  Her glands were full and one was infected so had them expressed.  She started on an antibiotic for 2 weeks.  Went back to the vet and had them expressed again, still full but no infection.  Continued with antibiotic for another 2 weeks then went back to vet, full again and expressed.  Not using the antibiotic anymore but will be at the vet in 2 weeks for another check.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?  She is on Taste of the Wild with 1 tsp enzyme/cup of kibble.  Not sure what to do.  The vet doesn't think her EPI has any correlation to the situation.  Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you,

Lisa 

--

Proud owner of 2 White German Shepherds:  Jasper 6.5 years old and Jasmine 4.  

Jasmine diagnosed with EPI on 4/26/11.  She weighed 68 pounds, her TLI was 1.7, folate 18 (range 4.8-19), and cobalamin <150 (range 284-836).  Had B12 shots for the first 7 weeks.

August 1, 2011 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Hi Lisa~

So glad to hear that you, Jasmine et al are having a great summer...except for the anal glands. My EPI gal does not have a problem with that (thankfully)... but my non-EPI gal does and for some reason it has been especially troublesome this summer.... but not sure why.  Hope Jasmine's clears up soon and stays "empty"!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

August 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

Hi

we have no issues with Kara but we had our last dogs anal glands removed as it was causing  so much of a problem

Jean

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

enzymes-Panzym 1 gram per meal twice daily ( 1/4 teaspoon )  plus one Lypex

B12 injection once every three weeks

one Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

one Antepsin before bedtime

alergies to beef pork chicken and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

39 kilos as of 10th June 2014

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

August 2, 2011 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val

We had dreadful anal gland problems with Razzy on the lead up to EPI... all the soft poops were not being expressed properly so we had her anal glands removed.

We think the stress (she never could take pain well unlike our other many dogs) so the stress was the trigger that brought on full EPI symptoms and a GOOD thing too... without that she could have gone on starving slowly without anyone knowing.

Our former non-EPI dog Dilly had very bad anal gland problems and I now wish we had asked to have the glands removed. They never seemed to right themselves and caused her loads of discomfort.

Just my take on it.

Val

--

Razzy, GSD.

EPI for 4 1/2 years... sadly lost to cancer 30th July 2011 aged 9 1/2 years.

August 2, 2011 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele

Hi Lisa - as a matter of fact Jackie is on her second week of antibiotics due to anal issues as we speak.   I don't believe it has to do with the EPI though.    We also use TOTW high prarie food - Jackie is going to be 3 in October and this is the 2nd time this happened.    

Hope Jasmine is doing better very very soon...

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   Natures Domain, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   Natures Domain, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

August 2, 2011 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joenik

Kainer has not had that problem, however, he does do the rub on the grass, and yes, sometimes on the throw rug in the living room. Thank God for the throw part).  Angel however did have an issue with it years ago, the vet secreated them and no problems since...Weird thing is I knew another Jasmine who did have a consistant problem with her glands.  She was a rottie, huge dog, and the vet was always having to release them, like every other week or so. Not sure if there was any infection involved, this was a boyfriends' dog about 15 years ago.... BUT I really don't think it is EPI related. So many dogs have this problem.  Did you try Googling "anal glands"? Give it a try. I will try to later as well. Good luck!

--

Kain, 6 yr. old GSD, Mom, Nicole, Dad, Joe, Sister Angel, 9 year old GSD, Sister Noni, 8 year old cat, and Twin Sisters, Eva and Mia, age 5. B-12: 369, TLI: less than 1, Folate: 15.7.Started Enzymes 1/14/11. Currently Handfed ,1 tsp./c, 2 1/2 cups fed once daily and 1 1/2 cup fed once daily. Nature's Variety, TOTW, Back to Basics, California Natural, all in monthly rotation, Let enzymes set 30 min. Low weight, 48 lbs, down from high of ONLY 66. Bi-Weekly B-12 shot of 1.4ml. All time high weight EVER on 12/11/11 at 71 lbs., one of the happiest days of my life! *NEW WEIGHT of 76 lbs.!*

August 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paula

Hi, Lisa. Anal gland problems usually occur because the stool isn't firm enough. Perhaps Jasmine is one of those dogs that needs a little fiber (a tablespoon of pumpkin?) mixed in with her food to firm up her stool a smidge more...

--

Paula and Maya (bday 12/21/06) (diagnosed 10/26/10 TLI 1.5, B12 659 (ref:249-733), weight 52 lbs. After 30 days, retested B12/folate - B12 plummeted to 200, which greatly affected her personality. After following B12 protocol, currently giving semi-weekly B12 shots at home, plus daily WonderLabs Trinfac. Weight in July 2013: 75 lbs - the picture of health

August 2, 2011 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lisa

Thanks for all the opinions.  Jasmine never had a problem before her diagnose of EPI, with all the soft cow pattie poops.  Now that she is stable and has a firm poop she does.  Go figure, my dog the unique one.  :)  

Paula I will add a teaspoon of pumpkin in her food for more fiber.

Thanks everyone!!

--

Proud owner of 2 White German Shepherds:  Jasper 6.5 years old and Jasmine 4.  

Jasmine diagnosed with EPI on 4/26/11.  She weighed 68 pounds, her TLI was 1.7, folate 18 (range 4.8-19), and cobalamin <150 (range 284-836).  Had B12 shots for the first 7 weeks.

August 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pamela/Rosina/Lakme

Hi Lisa. Rosina had gland problems start around 4 years old before EPI. When I first found out, I was taking her in about every 2-3 weeks because she would start yelping when she walked. After a few times expressing them, they started clearing out. I then read that added fiber helped, so I switch her food to a very high fiber, low-cal food since she was overweight as well. For years, she was good with this and they only had to be expressed once or twice a year. Then, the EPI hit and the switch to a lower fiber food. This summer, we've already had them done 3 times. Fortunately, the groomer does it for only $10. One vet said he could teach me how to do it, but I couldn't handle that. We have had such excessive heat this summer that Rosina isn't getting as much exercise as normal, so I think that has something to do with her increase in production. Also, our new place has a bunch of other dogs and she is very territorial. All those smells get her excited and wanting to leave her scent everywhere. Good luck! Hope the pumpkin helps.

--
Pamela

Rosina; Crossed the Bridge unexpectedly in her sleep after ACL surgery at 11 yrs old on 1/1/14;  LH Chihuahua Mix; dx'd 10/26/10; Lived a wonderful full life with no complications from the EPI. Left us at a solid 20 lbs.

We now also have Lakme! Born 06/16/2013; Adopted on 10/12/13 at 15.5 weeks old. She is an Aussie/Springer Spaniel? mix. Dx'd at 8 weeks-TLI score of 0.7.  Folate 14.3, B12-226.. Now eating 3.5 cups Merrick Beef and Sweet Potato Grain Free, ground and mixed with 3.5 tsp Diane's 8x's Enzymes-Split between 3 meals per day. First B12 shot given on 10/18/13 with magical results! Starting weekly shots and will retest in 6 weeks or so when she goes in to be spayed. EPI is under control and stable. Occasional liver treat for training with no upsets. Update: as of 1/12/14 Lakme is now 27 lbs, 19 inches tall, and is growing like a weed. Energy is through the roof. May have to increase food again to keep up with the calories she burns each day.

August 2, 2011 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

373 views - 1 comment
1007 views - 4 comments
1042 views - 2 comments
2390 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "When I inherited Pixie from my mother-in-law, I was very nervous about managing her EPI. She had already been diagnosed, but as my m-i-l's health deteriorated, apparently Pixie..."
    Grateful EPI Mom
  • "not sure where we would be today without this forum this has been a journey of faith and learning and i have found friends alomg the way to share the good and bad times with ..."
    jean
    grateful family member
  • "My dog, Maya, was diagnosed with EPI in October 2010. We embarked on our EPI journey with the advice and support of the wonderful people on this forum. Maya has gained back the ..."
    It's a family

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator