EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > EPI dog has been having seizures. Anyone else have this?

Megan Nussbaumer

Our 2 year old beautiful german shep has had confirmed epi for over a year and has been doing great.  However, about 1 year ago she had 1 seizure and we had her tested for epiliepsy.  The result came back negitive and the vet said it was probably a 1 time thing.  However, about a month ago she had another that left her in a strange state for days.  Now last night(month from last seizure) she has had multiple.  Every time she gets relaxed to fall asleep she goes into a fit where she is physically and mentally exhausted.  She goes blind after the seizure, barks, growls and it takes her a good 20 minutes to know who we are.  She is a loving beautiful girl, and we are trying to make the best decision by her.  We unfortunately are going to have to make a very hard decision soon, and were hoping that someone could shed some light on this before wemake the decision to putting her down.  Has anyone had a dog with EPI that has seizures? If so what did your vet(s) say? Was there anything you found to help?  Any information is helpful. Thank you.

September 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele

Oh Megan - that has to be awful to see.   I personally have never had experience with this (thank God) but others on the forum have.  Until others respond you might want to do an Advanced Search and read what others have posted in the past.   Click on the Forum tab above and put in Seizures - it may give you a jump start on some info.    I am so sorry to hear this - hang in there, others will help you...Hugs to your beautiful girl...

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   Natures Domain, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   Natures Domain, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

September 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Oh Megan... i am SO so sorry to hear this!  As far as i know there is no connection betwen EPI & seizures... however, that being said.. we DO have other members here who have EPI dogs that do have seizures. My daughter's white GSD tested negative for epilepsy, but does have seizures and they put him on phenobarbital anyway.

One of our members here, Cindi, who has Brodie... deals with seizures.

Also... i read a little on it and ..if i understand it correctly.... oftens times these tests yields negative results so maybe that is why my daughter's dog is still being treated with phenobarbitol.

Another thing i read is that you "may" be able to control seizures with diet.... and this kind of falls in line with Cindi's odg Brodie... he has lots and lots of food allergies..... it says to change the protein in the diet.....

"There are dogs that are reported to have improvements in seizure controlwhen fed diets that contain novel proteins (diets meant to rule out food allergies) and the new hypoallergenic diets with hydrolyzed proteins(HA(tm) and z/d (tm)) may be helpful in this situation. I am not sure theseclaims have ever really been proven, since that is hard to do because of natural variations in seizure activity. In a dog that also seems to show sensitivity to foods by vomiting or diarrhea, it really seems worth while to consider trying one of these foods, just to see if food sensitivity doesplay a role in the seizure activity or digestive problems.

The only other reason that I can think of to control dietary protein in a pet with seizures is to control seizures associated with liver disease. Reduction of dietary protein is a really important part of treatment for seizures and other central nervous system disorders associated with an inability of the liver, for whatever reason, to process ammonia properly.If this is part of the problem with your dog's seizures, then restriction of dietary protein is important."

Read more: Phenobarbital and Other Seizure control Medication used in dogs - VetInfo

Please keep us posted... and i'll write Cindi and maybe she can chime in and offer some help to you.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She was getting Annamaet Lean kibble plus a lean meat and did well on it....... but we have since switched again because of her diabetes to an all home-made diet which she does even better on and has even been able to reduce the Vetsulin (por-based insulin) dose from 9 units to 6 units... because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia- -she is much more even keeled with a diet of sweet potato+ a lean meat+coconut oil/fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

September 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Hi Megan and welcome to the forum, although sorry to hear you are going thru this with your pup…There are many reasons a dog has seizures and epilepsy is just one of them. I know what a grand mal seizure is like in a dog and they are not pleasant for dog or human. While they are not painful at all, they are confusing for the dog. Can you ask your vet to try her on some Phenobarbital? My brother has a Corgi currently on this and it’s been wonderful. He has maybe one seizure a year now when he used to have cluster seizures (like what you described happened last night) several times a week…There is also a really good (from what I’ve heard anyway) yahoo group that can help you with this. If she were my dog, I’d ask for some meds to try and control them. If she still has them after you’ve played with the dosage for the meds, then there is probably something else going on, such as a tumor growing that you will not be able to do much about anyway… At least you can give her a chance…

--

Donna

Owned by Tara, a 8 YO GSD w/EPI and DM dx'd at about a year old. Fed Taste of the Wild Lamb formular kibble and enhance this diet with cooked meat, veggies and fruit, Enzymes: Pancreatin 8x - 1 tsp per cup of food. Suppliments include 1000 mg Wild Salmon oil, Glucosomine/Chondrotin/MSM and Probiotic acidophilus. Stable since 2005 Also owned by sidekicks' Zoey my rescued GSD and Max, a 10 MO PWC rescue - along with Tess (GSD) and  Zeke (PWC) with Angel wings

September 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cindiparrothead

Hi, I am at work right now... but please email me  cindiparrothead@hotmail.com  I have a lot of experience with seizures. 

BUT your vet needs to get you some diazapam.... that is EXTREMELY important for a cluster baby... and you need probably an AED. But aske your vet for some diazapam ( valium ) to stop the clusters. you can get it in suspossitories to but you have to get those at a compound phar. the pills will be harder to deal with while he is clustering.  Also keep him cool while he seizes so an ice pack on the back often helps l even would wet a towel and drape over.. And you need to be careful they do not know what they are doing during seiuzres so you need be careful while handling them.

I will write more tonitebut please email me I can check my emails at work more easy

--

cindi ... Saint 9 yr retired lgd pyr, Pearl 5yr retired lgd akbash, Ko Ko 6yr pyr - best dog in the world, Mr. Wiggles 9yr mix w/ too much energy, Rosie 4 yr - life is good gentle gaint. The kitties of the house: Sammie 8yr,lil Miss Magic 4 yr , peaches ~ 3yr , Hannah 2 yr, Puff 1 yr and  My little boy now  wings.... Angel Brodie.

September 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan Nussbaumer

Cindi, I will email you right now. Thank all of your for your help.  We just got back from the vet.  She gave her valium and we have her sleeping in the cool basement in her bed now.  We are going to try medication first and hopefully we can give her a better quality of life.

September 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

Hi Megan,

I am sorry you are going through all this with your beautiful pup.     I have had experience with  my son having seizures since he was a year old (He has been well controlled with medication, but we have had to change it a couple of times)  and then my Bridge German Shepeherd, Kip,  developed seizures when he was 5. (I guess the Universe thought I had experience....)   He also was well controlled with  phenobarbital......  Kip had partial seizure clusters, and at first the vet didn't want to put him on meds, but when he took a grand mal, I insisted.   The medication worked for him.   I did not know about the valium for clusters that Cindi recommends and I am glad to have that information and I am glad that you have started your pup on it. 

My vet had told us with Kip that seizures were common in Gsds.  He lived to be almost 14 and the seizures did not affect his quality of life.  He did not have EPI.

I will be thinking of you.   Let us know how she is doing.  I know how distressing it is, but hopefully the medication will help. 

Hugs.

Barb

September 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan Nussbaumer

Barb at September 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hi Megan,

I am sorry you are going through all this with your beautiful pup.     I have had experience with  my son having seizures since he was a year old (He has been well controlled with medication, but we have had to change it a couple of times)  and then my Bridge German Shepeherd, Kip,  developed seizures when he was 5. (I guess the Universe thought I had experience....)   He also was well controlled with  phenobarbital......  Kip had partial seizure clusters, and at first the vet didn't want to put him on meds, but when he took a grand mal, I insisted.   The medication worked for him.   I did not know about the valium for clusters that Cindi recommends and I am glad to have that information and I am glad that you have started your pup on it. 

My vet had told us with Kip that seizures were common in Gsds.  He lived to be almost 14 and the seizures did not affect his quality of life.  He did not have EPI.

I will be thinking of you.   Let us know how she is doing.  I know how distressing it is, but hopefully the medication will help. 

Hugs.

Barb

Barb,

Thank you for your support.  My beautiful Izzy(Issabelle) has been without a seizure since yesterday at 11am.  We have gone over 24 hours free and clear!  She was having them every 30 minutes for a day straight.  Once we gave her the valium she stopped and we did start the new meds as well.  Things are starting to look up.... thanks to all of you and your help.  I'm going to update my profile with a picture of Izzy so all of you can see how sweet she is.  Thank you all for your support and kind words.  Without them Izzy and I would have lost the battle, and I can now see light at the end of this tunnel.  

Thank you with all our hearts -Megan(25) Izzy (2) Ohio

September 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Hi Megan,

So very happy to read this!!!! In addition to dealing with EPI with my Tara, we are also dealing with DM too and while it does stink to have two conditions and I hold no illusions that we cannot beat DM, but we can buy some time... These dogs are given to us for a special reason and I'm so glad you see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

--

Donna

Owned by Tara, a 8 YO GSD w/EPI and DM dx'd at about a year old. Fed Taste of the Wild Lamb formular kibble and enhance this diet with cooked meat, veggies and fruit, Enzymes: Pancreatin 8x - 1 tsp per cup of food. Suppliments include 1000 mg Wild Salmon oil, Glucosomine/Chondrotin/MSM and Probiotic acidophilus. Stable since 2005 Also owned by sidekicks' Zoey my rescued GSD and Max, a 10 MO PWC rescue - along with Tess (GSD) and  Zeke (PWC) with Angel wings

September 2, 2011 at 6:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Megan.... when you have time.... please give us an update .... hopefully things are improving!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She was getting Annamaet Lean kibble plus a lean meat and did well on it....... but we have since switched again because of her diabetes to an all home-made diet which she does even better on and has even been able to reduce the Vetsulin (por-based insulin) dose from 9 units to 6 units... because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia- -she is much more even keeled with a diet of sweet potato+ a lean meat+coconut oil/fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

September 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Megan.... when you have time.... please give us an update .... hopefully things are improving!

--

September 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cindiparrothead

Donna at September 2, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Hi Megan,

So very happy to read this!!!! In addition to dealing with EPI with my Tara, we are also dealing with DM too and while it does stink to have two conditions and I hold no illusions that we cannot beat DM, but we can buy some time... These dogs are given to us for a special reason and I'm so glad you see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Donna.... so sorry to hear about DM.. I had a little guy with it and it is hard  I can't imagine a big dog with it. like gsd pyrs are known for getting DM..... I want to mention one thing.. I didn't even know this but it is worth throwing out there in case someone else may use this info at some time....

We had a knowledgeable Pyr owner pyr start showing signs of DM. She had him tested for the gene. They did salvia not blood. It came back no DM gene. Well the symptoms continued.. She got a MRI done by a neuro who said after the MRI it was probable DM.  I suggested she follow up at vet school in GAinesville.. That there may be things she can do to slow it down not stop it.... WELL the doc there told her more than likely it was a thyriod issue. she put  the pyr on thyriod medication and two weeks later his DM signs are gone...  

This may not help your girl but it is worth remember...

--

cindi ... Saint 9 yr retired lgd pyr, Pearl 5yr retired lgd akbash, Ko Ko 6yr pyr - best dog in the world, Mr. Wiggles 9yr mix w/ too much energy, Rosie 4 yr - life is good gentle gaint. The kitties of the house: Sammie 8yr,lil Miss Magic 4 yr , peaches ~ 3yr , Hannah 2 yr, Puff 1 yr and  My little boy now  wings.... Angel Brodie.

September 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna

Hi Cindi,

I'm very farmiliar with thyroid issues as my rescue, Zoey, is hypothyroid as well as my Bridge GSD was.  Tara has had a full thyroid study done and she has no thyroid issues.  It is important to note here though that a simple T3/T4 test is not enough to diagnose a thyroid issue!!! Tara's initial T4 came back off, but this was because she was having digestion issues.  With the study (the one Dr.. Dodds does) they prove it in/out, rather than just a simple score.  The thyroid gland is affected by other things happening in the body.  We "thought" my Bridge girl was hypothyroid based on the findings, but we later learned that the finding can be affected with other issues, such as Cushing's Disease, which we later learned she had...

--

Donna

September 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cindiparrothead

Donna at September 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Hi Cindi,

I'm very farmiliar with thyroid issues as my rescue, Zoey, is hypothyroid as well as my Bridge GSD was.  Tara has had a full thyroid study done and she has no thyroid issues.  It is important to note here though that a simple T3/T4 test is not enough to diagnose a thyroid issue!!! Tara's initial T4 came back off, but this was because she was having digestion issues.  With the study (the one Dr.. Dodds does) they prove it in/out, rather than just a simple score.  The thyroid gland is affected by other things happening in the body.  We "thought" my Bridge girl was hypothyroid based on the findings, but we later learned that the finding can be affected with other issues, such as Cushing's Disease, which we later learned she had...

my vet's office thought I had flipped my lid when I took Lexie in and said I wanted a blood draw to send to Dr. Dodds... LOL they had never heard of her... Now they know her and yes it is important for folks to know to do the full panel.  I was shocked when Lori's pyr did improve with the thyriod medication.. My ex's pyr has had some same symptoms and we are thinking about pulling a panel on him just to make sure it is not the thyriod. We have not done a dm gene test on him.

Sorry Tara is dealing with DM...

--

September 4, 2011 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele

HI Megan - how are you making out with the seizures?

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   Natures Domain, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   Natures Domain, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

September 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

me too... wondering how are thingsgoing  Megan?

--

September 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan Nussbaumer

Hello everyone and thank you for all your support! I'm am so pleased to let you all know that Izzy is doing GREAT! She started on this med called phenobarb 40mg 2x a day and now she is down to 20mg 2x a day. We are seizure free and she is back to her lavish lifestyle of morning walks and afternoon naps. She did go from about 75 lbs to 65 lbs, which the vet said was pretty normal for all the stress of the seizures. We had to temporarily increase her enzyme and we held off on her monthly b12 shot, just incase it would react with her new meds. She is back up to about 72 lbs, b12 testing shows she is holding her levels and doesn't need a shot every month. So all in all, we have been able to decrease all meds and she is thriving. This will probably sound silly, but when the vet and I were discussing putting Izzy down if her seizures didn't stop--all I could think of was-- I never got a chance to take her swimming. Well, after 1 month without seizures I took my Izzy swimming for the first time and she had a blast! I want to thank all of you for your help, emails, support, and genuine care of my Izzy. Anyone feel free to let me know if someone else is struggling with seizures and I will be glad to share what I have learned.

December 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kathy and Ted

Oh, Megan, this is just the best news! Seizure free, weight going back up, B12 holding and she went swimming! I am so happy to read how well Izzy is doing and congratulations to you for doing such an amazing job!

--

Kathy

Ted GSD rescue gained 39 lbs

9/1/2002 – 11/27/2012

LK Non-EPI GSD rescue about 11 yrs old at adoption (Jan 25, 2013)

December 3, 2011 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cedar's Mom, Barb

What good news Megan!  I'm so glad you've been able to find treatment to stabilize Izzy and now we have another resident expert willing to help others.  I'm sure your experience will help others just as scared as you had been. 

--

- Barb -

Mom to Cedar, diagnosed with EPI Nov 1, 2010, TLI 1.2, Feb 2013 B12 653 (150-700), Folate 23 (7-39); B12 injections weekly; 1 3/4 tsp pancreatin 8X/meal, 1 1/4 c TOTW Pacific Stream or Sierra Mountain + 1/2 c add ins (pork, salmon, sardines, haddock, egg, pumpkin are the usual), 1/3 c water, incubated x 30 minutes; 2 meals/day; current weight 75 lbs. Also has Pannus; treated with tacrolimus ointment 2 x daily each eye and gets 100 ug Vit E daily for immature cataracts. Also Mom to pupkids Bree and Griffin, and catkids Abby, Diamond and Max...and skinkid Ayden

December 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dar

Wow... Congrats !!!  Izzy is a lucky pup to have you !!!  Sounds like you have everything under control !!  (((Hugs))) and paws to you both !!

--

Dar and Kodi, From Washington state

' I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am !!'

Kodi (GSD female) , born August 19, 2010 , was diagnosed July 15, 2011 at 11 months .Lowest weight, 47 lbs, weight as of  4/27/2013  62.9 lbs. Our goal for her at this time is now 65 lbs. !!!   And she made it!! .  TLI .07 , Folate 9.4 , Cobalmin 536 .

Kodi is on Pioneer grain and potato free Pork, 2  cups kibble with added canned or home cooked pork 2 times a day with  3/4 teaspoons of enzymes (X 8 ) per cup,from Diane. (Also some home cooked meals)1 Trinfac-B capsule once a day. Also  1/8 t. of ground coriander, 1/16 t. of ground fennel seed and cinnamon per meal (for stomach acid and burps). Cylosporine 100 mg. every other day for her terrible spring allergies.

December 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

598 views - 1 comment
1166 views - 4 comments
1207 views - 2 comments
2552 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "We can't begin to explain how beneficial this website was and still is to us. When our poop Jade got diagnosed with EPI, we were just so overwhelmed with everything...the news a..."
    We wouldn't have survived...
  • "Hello to everyone, I know it can be very overwhelming when your animal has been diagnosed with EPI, I know I was! GSD Orion was diagnosed Fall of 2011 and I was so scared. ..."
    Encouragement To All
  • "I became aware of your EPI4Dogs website when my rat terrier, Jack, was ill. Although he ultimately tested negative for EPI, he has many of the symptoms, and his vet and I have b..."
    EPI symptoms but no positive test

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator