EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Getting dog to take Tylan Powder

CynNCharli

Ok, so I just got our bottle of Tylan Powder and happened to touch my mouth with my finger and this stuff is HORID tasting! Is there any special that you guys get your dogs to take this stuff or do most of them just eat it without a problem? I know I wouldnt be eating it thats for sure haha!

October 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alyssa

I've got them in gelcaps, myself, but I've heard other people hiding it in a bit of cream cheese or something else equally tasty.

--

Proud mommy to Vito, 3(?) yr old GSD.  90lbs, goal weight 85-90lbs (ACHIEVED!).  Tested positive for EPI on March 30th, 2011.  His TLI was 1.0, Cobalamin 225, Folate 22.  Feeding 3 ups of Taste of the Wild High Prairie once a day with one heaping teaspoon of Pancreatin 8x enzymes per meal.

Also proud mommy of a (non EPI) Belgian Malinois tripod named Lizzie.  That means three legs. :P  Who is completely spoiled rotten, loves kids, and will be going into therapy dog training as soon as I can afford it.

"Sometimes it takes an imperfection to create perfection."

October 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gillian & Wallace

I just mix through Wallace's food, he doesn't even notice!

x

--

Wallace rescue GSD. Currently feeding Wainwrights Turkey and Vegetable - 9ml of Panzym per meal, 2 meals a day of 1 1/2 cups of food. Tylan 1/8 teaspoon twice a day (this is half the recommended dose for his weight but the recommended dose made his poos soft!). Monthly B12 injection.

October 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Star's Mom

Star will eat it on her food, but she usually takes a bite and gives me this look like "I can't believe you made this taste so bad".  Often I will put the Tylan in a gelcap and put that inside a bit of hot dog, just so she doesn't have to taste it.

Lisa

October 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CynNCharli

also, my vet just told me to dose it at 420 mg twice daily, but heres the thing, 1/8 tsp is 325 mg! How do you measure that??

October 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Karen

I just mix it into the food just before feeding and have never had a problem.  I have never gone by mg, just by tsp size.  http://www.epi4dogs.com/sibo.htm  This page has the dosage of what is usually recommended.

--
Karen & Jaime-Lyn
DOB 3/31/11
cTLI 7/9/13 3.0  10/19/13 2.4
EPI, low B12, SLO
Raw Fed
-----------------------------
Always in my heart
My Angel Hondo
EPI, IBD, SIBO, PLE, Weekly B12 injections
Raw Fed
7/19/04-5/22/13
October 11, 2011 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lynn

I could feed Tylan either way but when I realised it was an on-going med., then I would put it in gel capsules.  In the early days though, I would just make a little pocket in the food & pop it in there.  My girl was raw fed so I think it is easier to do that with raw than it is with kibble, so I think the gel capsules is probably the way to go. 

Good luck.

--

Lynn,

From Melbourne, Australia. Owned by Tess (Irish Setter), Grace (English Setter) & Megg, my beautiful 'English' EPI Angel - Forever in my heart.

October 11, 2011 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shannon - Dallas, TX

OMG...I tasted it and it is soooo nasty!!!!   I did the gelcaps for awhile but now I just mix it with her food again.   Sometimes when she is being really picky I add shredded carrots to her food.  Tired pumpkin and sweet potato but she didn't like it

--

Basia - GSD Mix - Born 7/2002 - Diagnosed 9/17/09 

9/17/09    Weight 45     TLI:  0.6      Folate: 18     Cobalamin:  265     Giardia: Positive    Current Treatment:  TTylan twice a day with food (chonic SIBO) - Enzymes: 2 Tsp to 2 cups of food twice a day incubate 20-30 minutes    Food: DVP Venison and Sweet Potato    11/20/09 Weight 63   02/14/10 Weight 75

October 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

well I just measure 1/8th of a tspoon and mix it with honey or marmite and mix in with food and down it goes

or get a very tiny spoon which the vet gave me you may get one from the drug store

also make sure that if you get it on your fingers dont rub your eyes it hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jean

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

enzymes-Panzym 1 gram per meal twice daily ( 1/4 teaspoon )  plus one Lypex

B12 injection once every three weeks

one Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

one Antepsin before bedtime

alergies to beef pork chicken and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

39 kilos as of 10th June 2014

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

October 12, 2011 at 5:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

I have always done gel caps because Mr.  Sensitivity here wouldn't touch anything that tasted that bad.  He even figured a way to hide the pills for a while so he wouldn't have to swallow them.  But we figured  it out and made sure they went "down the hatch." 

Barb

October 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

I have always done gel caps because Mr.  Sensitivity here wouldn't touch anything that tasted that bad.  He even figured a way to hide the pills for a while so he wouldn't have to swallow them.  But we figured  it out and made sure they went "down the hatch." 

Barb

October 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kathy and Ted

Ted is like Hondo, takes it mixed in his food. He doesn't even hesitate to eat it that way. I dose him by tsp not mg.

--

Kathy

Ted GSD rescue gained 39 lbs

9/1/2002 – 11/27/2012

LK Non-EPI GSD rescue about 11 yrs old at adoption (Jan 25, 2013)

October 12, 2011 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CynNCharli

It really is the nastiest thing ever, i had the taste in my mouth for like an hour! Then, i must have gotten some on the table and i smelled it all night. lol. I work at a vet clinic and i can only get the caps in a bag of 1000. so i ended up finding them at a holistic food store, aparently they use them to mix "herbs" and "vitamins" lol

October 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

I too have accidently tasted Tylan on my fingers... and boy oh boy it sure is NASTY!!!!!! but i must admit..thankfully.... that i have never then rubbed my eyes with it... Jean.... only you would come up with that!!!!

My gal Izzy eats everything... except anything dosed with Tylan powder!!!!!... so we have to camoflage it in cream cheese....

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

October 13, 2011 at 1:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CynNCharli

So I didnt get the chance to get up to buy the capsules last night and I figured Id at least try to just put it in her food...well surprise surprise she sucked it down with her food just like every other meal, lol.  AND again this morning!  So I guess I saved myself a trip and some money.  No need for the capsules after all! 

October 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kathy and Ted

That's great that she ate it with her food. That's why I always recommend trying it in the food  - try the easy way first. If they won't eat in the food then on to plan B..

--

Kathy

Ted GSD rescue gained 39 lbs

9/1/2002 – 11/27/2012

LK Non-EPI GSD rescue about 11 yrs old at adoption (Jan 25, 2013)

October 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CynNCharli

I really shouldnt have doubted she would...this dog will eat ANYthing...ie dropped onions, lettus, mushrooms. lol

October 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bebe Sammie

I just ordered the Tylan powder but I don't know how much in US measuring spoons to give my little tiny girl, can yo help???? 

Sammie and her Mommy ������

--

Merci Beaucoup! 

Jolena & Bebe Sammie

(Facebook Page-Bebe Sammie)

(503) 780-7802

BellaByJolena@yahoo.com 

September 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Jolene.. hope i answered all your questions on the phone this afternoon :)... if not... just ask away!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

September 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dizzy's Mom

Hello- My girl is the same way, she will eat the tylan mixed right in her food, but she makes smacking noises, so I just sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over it and no problems at all.

--

Stacie, Dizzy's Mom

Dizzy was born 2/28/2010. Dx on 12/24/2011. Lowest weight 55lbs. Today she is 80lbs.

4 cups TOTW with 6x pancreatin 1tsp per cup

B12 w/intrinsic once a day.

Probiotic once a day

Daily Pepcid

Tacrolimus once a day for eyes

September 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

373 views - 1 comment
1007 views - 4 comments
1042 views - 2 comments
2390 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "When Cedar was having difficulty and quickly wasting away before my eyes, my vet mentioned EPI and I searched the internet right away and found this site. Based on the informat..."
    A great resource!
  • "Hello to everyone, I know it can be very overwhelming when your animal has been diagnosed with EPI, I know I was! GSD Orion was diagnosed Fall of 2011 and I was so scared. ..."
    Encouragement To All
  • "When I found out Addie had EPI, I was really panicked & scared. Luckily, we found this site right away and a wonderful, caring group of people welcomed us with open arms. They a..."
    Kelli & Addie
    Support & Comfort

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator