EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > pancreapowder plus/tylan side effects and dosage?

mst3kfan

My friends dog was diagnosed yesterday with EPI, how much pancreaspowdrer plus should be given in each meal/snack? He eats several times a day and we are concerned about giving him too much or if there are side effects to the powder or the tylan (1/4 tsp twice a day)...he's an 11 year old german sheperd wh's down to 76 lbs...thanks for any words of advice!!:), also the vet gave him a b12 shot which seemed to perk him up signifigantly...barb

December 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Maezi & wanda
Hi barb - many will come on at anytime to help you -- but I thought I'd answer 1 question for u now in case u are watching still - generally start with 1 tsp enzymes dissolved in some wArm ( not to hot) wAter then mixed with 1 cup dry kibble - let incubate 20-30inutes at room temp then feed . Smaller more frequent meals 2-3 hours apart are better at first -- feed 150% daily req. To put weight back on . Good luck - Wanda & maezi
--

Maezi is a female  Australian cattle dog (blue Heeler) from BC Canada born may 11-2010   Dx with EPI july 27,2011 & Oxalate crystals june 2012.

The story of her journey and struggles with EPI are featured on the EPI stories section above

Starts day with.   Pepcid AC 12hr pill

breakie - 1 1/2 cup Now Fresh senior recipe (for crystals) w. 1 1/4 tsp Diane's 6x > warm water sit 29 minutes 

supper same -  with a b12 wonderlabs daily

Fortiflora on hand as needed - Benadryl when she plays w spiders/bees etc. 

December 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paula

Sounds like the vet is on top of things, with the tylan and the B12 shots. Wanda summed up the enzyme dosing and preparation perfectly. We generally start with 1 tsp enzymes to 1 cup of kibble (even though the bottle says 1 tsp per meal). Your friend should keep the B12 shots up on a weekly basis for 6 weeks (see the B12 tab above), then follow the protocol provided under the tab. Tylan should be given for at least 30 days. SIBO can be tough to kick. It is generally a pretty mild antibiotic, with no significant side effects that I know of.

Glad to hear the pup is already perking up from the B12. The enzymes and treating the SIBO with tylan will help him put weight on. We also usually recommend grain-free food for most dogs, since grain is difficult to digest. The goal is "tootsie roll" poops.  Hope everything works out well and quickly in this holiday season - to bring holiday cheer. But don't despair if it doesn't. Sometimes tweaking is necessary to get to optimal results. But you have found a great resource for your friend. We look forward to helping and hearing good news.

--

Paula and Maya (bday 12/21/06) (diagnosed 10/26/10 TLI 1.5, B12 659 (ref:249-733), weight 52 lbs. After 30 days, retested B12/folate - B12 plummeted to 200, which greatly affected her personality. After following B12 protocol, currently giving semi-weekly B12 shots at home, plus daily WonderLabs Trinfac. Weight in July 2013: 75 lbs - the picture of health

December 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AK GSD

Hello Barb and Welcome to the Forum.  I am sorry to hear that your friends dog has been diagnosed with EPI but it sure is wonderful to hear that the vet is treating all aspects of the disease right from the start by prescribing enzymes, B12 and Tylan.

On the Forum when we talk about giving "too much" or "too little" of enzymes it means per each cup of food in each meal.   No matter how much food a dog eats in one day or how many times a day it is fed.... It is all about getting the proper ratio of food to enzymes... 1 tsp enzyme to 1 cup of food. 

With Tylan powder the main concern seems to be taste... it is bitter.... so while some dogs will eat it just mixed into their food right before serving... other dogs will not but then it can be loaded into gel caps and administered that way at meal time.

If you click the Forum tab at the top of this website you should get a drop down menu where you can select Videos... there is one showing how to prepare enzymed food and one showing how to load Tylan into gel caps. 

Another word of advice for your friend would be to start keeping a log of everything that goes in and comes out of the dog.  It can be an invaluable tool with managing EPI as there is usually tweaking involved to find the right balance for each individual dog.  Good luck and please keep us updated  :)

--

December 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kathy and Ted

Hi Barb, how nice of you to help your friend. Wanda, Paula and Becky have you covered for now so I'll just say hi.

--

Kathy

Ted GSD rescue gained 39 lbs

9/1/2002 – 11/27/2012

LK Non-EPI GSD rescue about 11 yrs old at adoption (Jan 25, 2013)

December 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barb

Hi Barb,

What a good friend you are!  Welcome to the Forum to you and your friend.  You have been given great advice so far.   Once your friend has the Food, Enzymes, B12, and Antibiotics balanced the pup should start to show even more improvement.  It sounds like he is heading in that direction already.  That is amazing.

I second the suggestion about keeping a log.  It helps so much to see what is working and what isn't so you can make changes. 

There are many people here to help you and your friend ....so ask any questions you have.

Barb

December 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele

Hi Barb,  

You def are a wonderful friend.   You have gotten great advice above.   One more thing to consider is that most EPI dogs do best on grain free food - 100% grain free.   In the beginning it took us several grain free foods until we found one that totally agreed with Jackie.   Things are a little up and down in the beginning because you "tweak" this and "tweak" that but I promise, they slow down.

Any questions, ask away!

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   Natures Domain, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   Natures Domain, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

December 22, 2011 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

362 views - 1 comment
1000 views - 4 comments
1035 views - 2 comments
2386 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "Hello to everyone, I know it can be very overwhelming when your animal has been diagnosed with EPI, I know I was! GSD Orion was diagnosed Fall of 2011 and I was so scared. ..."
    Encouragement To All
  • "One year ago I found this site by listing all my dogs symptoms on a google search. After reading your good advice and testimonials, I had my vet do both the TLI and the Cobalami..."
    Thank you epi4dogs
  • "As Kodi became our 2nd EPI dog, I was really I was searching for more information about EPI and came across this site. It has so much research and information that I wish I h..."
    Dar
    Great information and current research

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator