EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Buttercup--Recently diagnosed with EPI

Deb

I'm another vote for Tylan. Kody has also had a sibo blip. He has been going great since Oct, absolutely nothing changes and out of the blue, the crazy rock and cardboard eating started then the yellow poop. He seems to have turned the corner now and is back on track. Just have to accept sibo is going to happen from time to time no matter what I do.

Deb

--

Kody DOB 2nd Jan 2011. Diagnosed 11th Dec 2012. TLi less than 1. Dx weight 31.3kgs. Currently on 2x Creon 10 with every meal. Feeding 4 Big Dogfood premade Barf lamb patties and 500gms turkey mince meat divided between 4 meals. Started 6 week course B12 Injections 5th Jan 2013. 1 wonderlabs once a day. 1 Inner Health Plus a day.Started Tylan in case of "sneaky Sibo" 12th Feb 2013 as we were not seeing any weight gain although no true sibo signs.  10/4/2013  Started 1tbsp mash sweet potato before every meal for acid reflux - has made a big improvement to his burping. Oct 2013 Started 1tsp slippery elm per day & 1tsp coconut oil daily. Slowly increased to 5 tsps coconut oil a day. Also, on tylan for life.

21/12/2012 Test results at dx B12 257 (range 150-1020) and folate 15.9 (range 11-29). 

14/10/2013 Retested B12  1589 (range 150-1020) Folate 31 Cut wonderlabs to 1x day

27/11/2013 Weight 36kgs.

24/12/2013 Weight 37.3kgs. 3/2/2014 39.20 kgs 19/3/2014 41kgs

3/5/2014 42.85   21/6/2014 45kgs 21/7/2014 45.70  11/10/2014 48.60kgs

January 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jebel321

Good to know I am not doing anything "wrong" per se. Thanks for the advice, y'all. :)

--

Buttercup diagnosed with EPI in November 2012.

Currently on 2 1/2 cups a day (1 1/2 cups AM/1 cup in PM) of Nutro Grain Free Venison & Potato (12% fat & 3% fiber)

1 1/2  tsp. 6x enzymes per meal incubated for 20 minutes

B12 pill daily

January 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jebel321

Buttercup is back at the vet's office with another UTI. For anyone who has experience with this, what do you recomment in terms of a cranberry supplement or something of the like? I just want to make sure whatever I use is "EPI friendly." Thanks!

--

Currently on 2 1/2 cups a day (1 1/2 cups AM/1 cup in PM) of Nutro Grain Free Venison & Potato (12% fat & 3% fiber)

B12 pill daily

May 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Buttermom

Butterbean has had her share of UTI's, but we have never used a supplement to prevent them. I do know that it would seem like the infection was gone and then it seemed like she would get another within a few weeks. We figured out that she just wasn't fully over the initial infection, so we hit it hard with the antibiotics and finally got rid of it.....  I'm at work so I don't have the info on what worked for us, but when I get home in the morning I'll post it here for you.....

Susan

--

"I am I because my little dog knows me."   Gertrude Stein

Butterbean, Chihuahua born on 06-27-2004, diagnosed in May-June of 2010 via pancreatic biopsy. TLI score of 0.7. Feeding Darwins duck, 1.2 ounces twice daily with 1/4 tsp of enzyme. In the am she also gets 1/4 tsp of Platiinum Performance Canine CJ as well as 1/8 tsp of slippery elm powder.  She gets a B12 shot every 10 days, and a Wonderlab's capsule every 3 days.

May 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Thanks Susan for offering to help with what UTI meds helped Miss Butterbean.... UTI's can be SOOOOOoooooo difficult to get rid off... when Izzy had one last year... we had to treat it twice!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She was getting Annamaet Lean kibble plus a lean meat and did well on it....... but we have since switched again because of her diabetes to an all home-made diet which she does even better on and has even been able to reduce the Vetsulin (por-based insulin) dose from 9 units to 6 units... because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia- -she is much more even keeled with a diet of sweet potato+ a lean meat+coconut oil/fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

May 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Buttermom

Ok, Jessica.....  I'm so sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. Suddenly my record keeping has diminished to the point of " oh my gosh, what did I do with this?"  We gave Butter about 25 days of Ziniquin.  That was the last UTI she had, and it seems like the Ziniquin finally did the trick for us. Her dosage was 3/4 of a 25 mg tablet, so if I recall it was a pretty stout dose. We've also had luck in the past for other infections with a shot of antibiotic that lasts about 3 weeks. Can't for the life of me remember the name of that one. Talk with your vet about the possibility of the primary infection not really getting kicked out. Like I said, that's what we think went on with Butter. Good luck, I know these UTI's are difficult!!!!

Susan

--

Butterbean, Chihuahua born on 06-27-2004, diagnosed in May-June of 2010 via pancreatic biopsy. TLI score of 0.7. Feeding Darwins duck, 1.2 ounces twice daily with 1/4 tsp of enzyme. In the am she also gets 1/4 tsp of Platiinum Performance Canine CJ as well as 1/8 tsp of slippery elm powder.  She gets a B12 shot every 10 days, and a Wonderlab's capsule every 3 days.

May 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jebel321

Thanks, Susan! We sent her urine off for a UA and culture to see exactly what sort of bacteria is causing this recurrent problem, which should tell us what antibiotics would be best. They sent her home with some Clavamox yesterday, but I think we've tried that before.

--

B12 pill daily

May 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Buttermom

If my very poor memory these days serves me correctly, the Ziniquin is an antibiotic that is used for something else, but my vet is one of those that is VERY open to what works, no matter.....  With Butter we've had to think way, way outside the box. 

Susan

--

May 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

794 views - 1 comment
1331 views - 4 comments
1396 views - 2 comments
2804 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "I rescued Duke from a gentleman on Craigslist. Half Ridgeback, half Boxer, he was pretty thin when I went to meet him. It was in the first week I knew there was a problem with ..."
    Gave me a great dog!
  • "When I found out Addie had EPI, I was really panicked & scared. Luckily, we found this site right away and a wonderful, caring group of people welcomed us with open arms. They a..."
    Kelli & Addie
    Support & Comfort
  • "Hello to everyone, I know it can be very overwhelming when your animal has been diagnosed with EPI, I know I was! GSD Orion was diagnosed Fall of 2011 and I was so scared. ..."
    Encouragement To All

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator