EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Angel's enzymes are here!!

Rebekah

OK so now that they are here I am guessing I should feed her 1/2 cup food with 1/2 teaspoon enzymes 3 X day. Her food says for her weight (actually larger) she should eat 1 cup/day so 150% would be 1 1/2 per day, enzymes say 1/2 teaspoon on food 2X day. Hope I'm figuring this right!!! Her tummy still grumbles constantly and stool looks same, when should I notice difference? Asked about saving left over food but she eats it all. Thanks so much for your help, I feel like a fish out of water!!:lol:

December 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Hi Rebekah... i checked on your other thread and see that you ordered Epizyme..... i am guessing the enzymes ingredients are:

"Lipase (71,400 USP Units), Protease (388,000 USP Units) and Amylase (460,000 USP Units)." ??????????

If yes... then this is perfect and proper enzymes.  Go ahead and give 1/2 level teaspoon of this enzyme per 1/2 cup of dry food and add a little warm liquid to moisten then enzymes in the food and let sit for 20 minutes... If you are serving canned food... then only use 3/4 of a level teaspoon....but i am guessing you are using dry food... yes?

ANyway... yes... sounds like she will need 1.5 cups of food a day.... try to break it up into 3 meals.... not two.... smaller portions are better.... and you only have to do this until she regains her nutrition.... is gaining weight, etc.

Regarding the tummy grumbling... that is the SIBO acting up...... you can either put her on Tylan powder antibiotic twice a day now for 45 days..... or...... you can give the enzymes 5 days to a week (hold off on the antibiotic) to see if the enzymes will be enough to alter her bad gut flora (SIBO) that is going on right now.  If the tummy still grumbles after 5 days / 1 week.... then she definitely will need the antibiotic to clear up the SIBO....   

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

December 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

I am new here so Ill let others give you detailed answers but I have been treating my dog for only a few days and I already see a difference. It is a gradual change and we are still waiting for his B12. The antibiotics to treat his SIBO is also helping a lot. 

Give you dog 12h and I'm sure you'll see a change in his stools. :)

December 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sailin Suzie & Brenda

Hi Rebekah,     I am a small dog owner like yourself.   Hang in there, things will improve.  When Suzie was so bad, and even to this day, I feed her everytime she will eat.   I dont mean to overload her tummy, but  after a couple of hours or so, I would try feeding Suzie again.   I found that the enzymes really put her off her food tho.   It is the smell.   so, I began trying "enticers" and I do believe there is a list of stuff others have tried too.   My Suzie went from 12lbs to below 8lbs.  which doesnt sound like much to these big dog owners, but you understand.  She was a rack of bones.   You can manage this, and Angel will improve.   Have faith.

--

Brenda & Sailin Suzie.   Worlds Greatest Boat Dog

December 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tracey, Sofie's mom

Rebekah, Brenda makes a good point...this must be so much more scary when you've only got 10 or 15 lbs of dog to start with!

I'd give some thought to starting the antibiotics right away - it certainly isn't going to hurt and by the sounds of things it's likely to help.

You'll notice a difference fairly quickly - although the amount of improvement varies from dog to dog. Most of us have to play around with the food, enzymes, antibiotics and/or B12 at one time or another, and especially in the beginning - we call it "tweaking".

Good luck and please keep us posted!

--

Tracey, Sofie's mom

Sofie, Shiloh shepherd, born March 2010; diagnosed April 2011. Currently eats 3.5 cups of Go Turkey Recipe per day plus a bit of cooked beef, pork, tripe or liver, etc. with 1 tsp. of 8x enzymes per cup. I am going to switch her back to TOTW lamb version when this bag is done - I think both her and my non-EPIer have issues with the turkey. 1 Wonderlabs B12 pill per day, 1 tsp Slippery Elm with her lunch, 1 tbsp coconut oil 2x a day and currently back on Tylan 2x a day. Her lowest weight was 66 lbs, she is now a lovely 85 lbs.

December 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tracey, Sofie's mom

P.S. If you could include Angel's program (food, enzymes, anti's, B12) in your signature it helps us help you to better  "tweak" things in the future:)

--

Tracey, Sofie's mom

Sofie, Shiloh shepherd, born March 2010; diagnosed April 2011. Currently eats 3.5 cups of Go Turkey Recipe per day plus a bit of cooked beef, pork, tripe or liver, etc. with 1 tsp. of 8x enzymes per cup. I am going to switch her back to TOTW lamb version when this bag is done - I think both her and my non-EPIer have issues with the turkey. 1 Wonderlabs B12 pill per day, 1 tsp Slippery Elm with her lunch, 1 tbsp coconut oil 2x a day and currently back on Tylan 2x a day. Her lowest weight was 66 lbs, she is now a lovely 85 lbs.

December 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebekah

Ok started food, she eats most of it at each sitting but not all, the bag says 1 cup a day but is for 10 pound dog, she is only 5 pounds right now, still eats close to cup day though, She seems to like it but will stop and start belching then she's done. Not sure how much water I'm supposed to use, itwas pretty soaked tonight but she still ate really well, eats REALLY fast, sure she is starving!!  Haven't seen a stool yet because I have been working last 2 days but husband said she is going less and he thinks they look better, off tomorrow so I can see!!  Thanks for all of your help!!!

--

Angel eats Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Grain Free 1/2 cup 3X Day with 1/2 teaspoon Epizyme

.25CC B12 injections once week

Flagyl 25mg twice/day for 12 days

December 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

Yay! That is great news!

DOesn't it feel wonderful? :D

December 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sailin Suzie & Brenda
Great Rebekah, Water is a strange variable. Here is how I mix Suzies, but everyone seems to do it differently. I take 1/2 cup of food and put 2 or 3 tsp. of water on it and mix in, simply to wet the kibble. Then I sprinkle the enzymes on the kibble and mix it in. Then let it set 20 minutes minimum and then to get Suzie to eat it, I sprinkle Parmesan Cheese all over it and mix that in. I do that 3 to 4 times a day depending on how much she will eat. The belching may be from eating so very fast. That should stop soon. Please give us a poop update tomorrow or whenever you can. Congrats, I think you are on your way.
--

December 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

Hi

5 pounds in weight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

little sweetheart

Brenda sure knows what its like 

in a small dog its really hard my advice would be to get Tylan and or discuss with your vet the probability of SIBO Kara is a lifer on antibiotics we cannot resolve it along with a few others on the forum she is also a lifer on b12 injections and a maintenance level of b12 capsules with intrinsic factor the enzymes will do their job better with the help of both of these

jeanx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

enzymes-Panzym 1 gram per meal twice daily ( 1/4 teaspoon )  plus one Lypex

B12 injection once every three weeks

one Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

one Antepsin before bedtime

alergies to beef pork chicken and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

39 kilos as of 10th June 2014

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

December 31, 2012 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebekah
Pooping less and more formed how exciting !!! Even running up to me with her toy this morning!!! I tried the sprinkled Parmesan cheese and mixed it in she ate all 1/2 this morning!!! I think I will start letting her out seperate from yorkie though because se still runs to eat her poop!!! Maybe wait till yorkie down go pick it up the key her out will keeps yard picked up anyway extra bonus right
--

Angel eats Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Grain Free 1/2 cup 3X Day with 1/2 teaspoon Epizyme

December 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tracey, Sofie's mom

It is exciting isn't it Rebekah!! The crazy things we do for our furkids, but they pay it back in double:)

--

Tracey, Sofie's mom

December 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Rebekah, this is such good news...YEAH!!!!

Regarding th poo eating... "usually" this subsides over time... once their body starts replenishing all that it has lost.... but sometimes...by then... it has become a habit (ugh!)  .. what some of us do that seems to work is (if over time, you can't break her of the poo eating habit) is to add 1/2-1 tsp of crushed pineapple to her meal...... tastes good going in... tastes bad after it comes out....(i have no idea why.. but i too have used it on my gal with success ;))

Happy New Year!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

December 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebekah
Angel is doing soooo good already gained 1 pound, playing, and has formed poop still slightly yellow in parts but mostly brown!!! She is peeing ALOT and on the carpet so back to training again letting her out more frequently but would rather deal with that and have a healthy dog than the way she was before!!!! So happy thank you all so much for your help and support this site was a godsend!!!
--

January 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tracey, Sofie's mom

This is wonderful news Rebekah! They do tend to pee alot in the beginning  - between the enzymes and the anti's they usually drink more which of course results in more output. Indoor mistakes in house trained dogs is very common with newly treated EPIers - this seems to taper off after a few weeks.

Aww, the yellow - 12 days of antibiotics probably won't be long enough - the recommended regimen is Tylan for 45 days or Metro for 30 days (2x per day). Maybe talk to your vet about this before you run out?

--

Tracey, Sofie's mom

January 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dar

Yes !!!! ( not the peeing in the house ...but the rest!!!)

--

Dar and Kodi, From Washington state

' I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am !!'

Kodi (GSD female) , born August 19, 2010 , was diagnosed July 15, 2011 at 11 months .Lowest weight, 47 lbs, weight as of  4/27/2013  62.9 lbs. Our goal for her at this time is now 65 lbs. !!!   And she made it!! .  TLI .07 , Folate 9.4 , Cobalmin 536 .

Kodi is on Pioneer grain and potato free Pork, 2  cups kibble with added canned or home cooked pork 2 times a day with  3/4 teaspoons of enzymes (X 8 ) per cup,from Diane. (Also some home cooked meals)1 Trinfac-B capsule once a day. Also  1/8 t. of ground coriander, 1/16 t. of ground fennel seed and cinnamon per meal (for stomach acid and burps). Cylosporine 100 mg. every other day for her terrible spring allergies.

January 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele

Rebekah - this is WONDERFUL!!!!   It may take a while to completely clear up the SIBO.   1 lb gain for a 5 lb dog is wonderful...I am beyond thrilled for you both!!!   Keep us posted and hopefully the peeing will slow down.   Many dogs do pee a lot in the beginning - basically, they drink a lot - thus, pee a lot!    Gently hug that beautiful little furball for me :)

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   Natures Domain, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   Natures Domain, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

January 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sailin Suzie & Brenda

Hurray Rebekah!!!!!!!!!!!!   That is wonderful news.    The peeing is prolly due to the increase in drinking from the enzymes.   The heavy water consumption will subside with time.     SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU.

--

January 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Val

Happy... Happy post... I am delighted to hear you are going in the right direction.

It is always wonderful when those first pounds (ounces) come on.

Well done Rebekah.

Val

--

Razzy, GSD.

EPI for 4 1/2 years... sadly lost to cancer 30th July 2011 aged 9 1/2 years.

January 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shirl

Woo Hoo!!!  It sounds like you are on the right track with Angel!  It's so nice to hear how well she's doing.  Keep us posted, and keep asking any questions that come up.

--

Mom to Pixie, 8 year old sheltie,inherited from my mother-in-law 3/11.  Dx of EPI 9/09.  TLI in 10/09 was 0.4 ug/L.  As of 12/2/11, Folate fasting levels was 13.6 ug/L, and Cobalamin fasting was 615.   Current weight 20.9 lbs (7/13), solid member of the Chunky Monkey Club!  Ideal weight around 17, I think, but she's not obese at this weight, so maybe 17 is a little low.  Feeding grain free - Merrick 96% Pork canned and Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb kibble.  Giving slightly less than 1/2 tsp Pancreatin 8X per 1/2 cup of food.  Tylan 1x/day maintenance dose.  Also takes 1/2 tablet pepcid for stomach upset 2x/day.   Getting bi-weekly B-12 shots.  Our little pack also includes my husband, our 13 year old sheltie, Lucy, and our 10 year old sheltie, Einstein. 

January 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

175 views - 0 comments
856 views - 4 comments
901 views - 2 comments
2117 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "Hello to everyone, I know it can be very overwhelming when your animal has been diagnosed with EPI, I know I was! GSD Orion was diagnosed Fall of 2011 and I was so scared. ..."
    Encouragement To All
  • "A huge thank you to Olesia for creating this site. Gabi would not have gotten stable without all these beautiful people & pups (& cats). We share our stories, ideas & experience..."
    Relieved Mom
  • "When we were debating whether to adopt Drakkar in July (we were told of his condition prior), I found this website with all of the positive and supportive members. So, while we ..."
    Grateful Mom

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator