EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Podcast - I want to know your story with EPI

letstalkdogs

Hey there. We're doing a podcast tomorrow regarding Pancreatitis. If anyone wants to call in to share their personal story, the number is 800-405-6425. The show starts at 1pm PST on adrenalineradio.com.  You can also tell me here today what your experience is with EPI.  I'm learning about it and my husband thinks it's what was wrong with his doxie.  Also ANY VETS out there who'd be willing to be interviewed, I'd love to hear from you!!!! Write me here and also we are on FB at letstalkaboutdogs as well as on Twitter @letstalkdogs.

--

Cynthia

January 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EnzymeDiane

Cynthia, Bless you for doing this piece! Sarge had Pancreatitis about 2x per year before changing into EPI. We almost lost him because of the incorrect advise we recieved from out vet after diagnosis-he said they almost never survive and that they usually dont regain the weight. After 3 months of the wrong treatment we found wonderful people online that were dealing with the same condition. Because of the wonderful EPI community so many pets are saved each year! There are thousands of us all across the world that are willing to lend a shoulder and ideas for pet owners to take back to their vets.

When Sarge was diagnosed the information was not on the internet that their is today. Today it is nice to hear that so many pets are diagnosed quickly and get the correct treatment so they do not need to suffer. NO two EPI pets are the same and having a support group is a very important part of being able to deal with EPI successfullly.

Thank you again I look forward to listening in!

FYI: The vet is now giving correct information about EPI and has learned a lot.

--

Enzyme Diane, Diane Sloan, Concord Twp, OH, Pancreatin

**17.64 oz Pancreatin 6x Digestive Enzymes $70-Compared to Viokase V ** Enzyme Supplement Orders: www.EnzymeDiane.com,

Sarge DOB 11/31/00 GSD/EPI Dx'd 8/05 @ 71# TLI .3, Cobalamin 99, Folate 15.5. 2tsp Pancreatin 6x Supplement, 2 c 4 Health 2x per day, b12 injections.  RIP Sarge you touched the lives of so many 4/2013 ( from DM-EPI was the least of our worries)

January 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Thank you Cynthia for contacting me....

Hi everyone...... i will be speaking on the show tomorrow, Thursday Jan 3.

http://adrenalineradio.com/

It will be a PodCast on the show "Let's Talk About Dogs" on AdrenalineRadio so i should be able to share/upload the PodCast link on the website later...

Anyway.... even though this show tomorrow is about Pancreatitis... i will speak for about 5 minutes at the end of the show about the EPI / EPI website and 

David A. Williams, MA, VetMB, Phd, Diplomate ACVIM, Diplomate ECVIM-CA, Professor, Veterinary Clinical Medicine  will speak for about 15 minutes on the condition EPI. The show is being done in Calif..

I am scheduled to speak 4:40 EST / 1:40 PST,  (i speak for 5 minutes)

Dr. Williams is scheduled for 4:45 EST / 1:45 PST  (Dr. Williams speaks for 15 minutes)

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She was getting Annamaet Lean kibble plus a lean meat and did well on it....... but we have since switched again because of her diabetes to an all home-made diet which she does even better on and has even been able to reduce the Vetsulin (por-based insulin) dose from 9 units to 6 units... because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia- -she is much more even keeled with a diet of sweet potato+ a lean meat+coconut oil/fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

January 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paula
Good luck, Olesia!
--

Paula and Maya (bday 12/21/06) (diagnosed 10/26/10 TLI 1.5, B12 659 (ref:249-733), weight 52 lbs. After 30 days, retested B12/folate - B12 plummeted to 200, which greatly affected her personality. After following B12 protocol, currently giving semi-weekly B12 shots at home, plus daily WonderLabs Trinfac. Weight in July 2013: 75 lbs - the picture of health

January 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

this is awesome

i wish you luck and support

jeanx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

enzymes-Panzym 1 gram per meal twice daily ( 1/4 teaspoon )  plus one Lypex

B12 injection once every three weeks

one Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

one Antepsin before bedtime

alergies to beef pork chicken and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

39 kilos as of 10th June 2014

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

January 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sailin Suzie & Brenda

Make us proud O.

--

Brenda & Sailin Suzie.   Worlds Greatest Boat Dog

January 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tracey, Sofie's mom

Awesome Olesia - you're getting to be quite the famous EPI lady:)

--

Tracey, Sofie's mom

Sofie, Shiloh shepherd, born March 2010; diagnosed April 2011. Currently eats 3.5 cups of TOTW Lamb per day plus a bit of cooked beef, pork, tripe or liver, etc. with 1 tsp. of 8x enzymes per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 pill per day, 1 tbsp coconut oil 2x a day and currently back on Tylan 2x a day. Her lowest weight was 66 lbs, she is now a lovely 85 lbs.

January 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill

I just stumbled across this now, and am listening to Olesia on the radio. This is wonderful!

--

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria

eats hard boiled eggs, RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning 3/24

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow,started Yucca Intensive 2x/day 4/29/14, 1 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day 

Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn

Optimmune and Dry eyes,  

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

January 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EnzymeDiane

She sounds wonderful she is giving such great information and so is Dr Williams. What a great show!

--

Enzyme Diane, Diane Sloan, Concord Twp, OH, Pancreatin

**17.64 oz Pancreatin 6x Digestive Enzymes $70-Compared to Viokase V ** Enzyme Supplement Orders: www.EnzymeDiane.com,

Sarge DOB 11/31/00 GSD/EPI Dx'd 8/05 @ 71# TLI .3, Cobalamin 99, Folate 15.5. 2tsp Pancreatin 6x Supplement, 2 c 4 Health 2x per day, b12 injections.  RIP Sarge you touched the lives of so many 4/2013 ( from DM-EPI was the least of our worries)

January 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shirl

Great job, O!  It was good to hear Dr. Williams, too.  I really loved that he (and Olesia) talked about looking for subtle signs and testing early.  I didn't get home in time to hear the whole hour...I tuned in just in time to hear Olesia be introduced...now I will have to go back and listen to the whole thing when it's available.  The part I heard was well worth it!  I'll have to remember Let's Talk About Dogs next Thursday, too!  Thank you for doing this interview, Cynthia!

--

Mom to Pixie, 8 year old sheltie,inherited from my mother-in-law 3/11.  Dx of EPI 9/09.  TLI in 10/09 was 0.4 ug/L.  As of 12/2/11, Folate fasting levels was 13.6 ug/L, and Cobalamin fasting was 615.   Current weight 20.9 lbs (7/13), solid member of the Chunky Monkey Club!  Ideal weight around 17, I think, but she's not obese at this weight, so maybe 17 is a little low.  Feeding grain free - Merrick 96% Pork canned and Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb kibble.  Giving slightly less than 1/2 tsp Pancreatin 8X per 1/2 cup of food.  Tylan 1x/day maintenance dose.  Also takes 1/2 tablet pepcid for stomach upset 2x/day.   Getting bi-weekly B-12 shots.  Our little pack also includes my husband, our 13 year old sheltie, Lucy, and our 10 year old sheltie, Einstein. 

January 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele

Way to go Olesia!!!!   I can't wait for the link...I had to run out  :|    Hurry and post it!!!!   :)    Congratulations on even one more way to get the word out!!!    I see you on TV next!!!!!

And...a special THANK YOU to letstalkaboutdogs for making this happen - thanks Cynthia!    Kudos to you for all you do also!

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   TOTW High Prarie, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   TOTW High Prarie, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

January 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

OMG.. i was SOOooooooooo nervous, i wrote notes did bullet points and reviewed them all day long.... my stomach was in knots! And then i only got thru half of what i prepared and even then, i don't think i wasn't concise in explaining things.... but i won't know for sure until later tonight when the PodCast will be ready....then i will upload it on this site.

Dr. Williams was wonderful though, as always i enjoyed listening to him. He has such a nice easy way of explaining things. I am thrilled that he made time to do this PodCast, as i actually bothered him about it while he was on a family vacation.... but he is so nice, he simply agreed to do it!

Although this wasn't an EPI segment... but rather a Pancreatitis segment... it was nice to be able to share with the public how EPI can develop from chronic Pancreatitis and what happens, how it is treated, etc.

Okay... my nerves have to calm down now.... so now I am going to eat dinner, and watch mindless TV ..... and just unwind.......  later folks!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She was getting Annamaet Lean kibble plus a lean meat and did well on it....... but we have since switched again because of her diabetes to an all home-made diet which she does even better on and has even been able to reduce the Vetsulin (por-based insulin) dose from 9 units to 6 units... because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia- -she is much more even keeled with a diet of sweet potato+ a lean meat+coconut oil/fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

January 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Okay....not sure how to load the PodCast on the website..will see if someone can help me with this...... but in the meantime, if anyone wants to listen to it, please go here and download the 1/3/13 "Let's Talk About Dogs"

http://adrenalineradio.com/podcasts/podcasts/summary/3-this-weeks-shows/16130-lets-talk-about-dogs-01-03-13

To listen to the EPI portion... please scroll thru until you get to about 40 minutes into the program.

--

January 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dar

thanks Olesia.. can't wait to hear you!!!

--

Dar and Kodi, From Washington state

' I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am !!'

Kodi (GSD female) , born August 19, 2010 , was diagnosed July 15, 2011 at 11 months .Lowest weight, 47 lbs, weight as of  4/27/2013  62.9 lbs. Our goal for her at this time is now 65 lbs. !!!   And she made it!! .  TLI .07 , Folate 9.4 , Cobalmin 536 .

Kodi is on Dogswell Livefree Turkey, 2  cups kibble twice a day with  3/4 teaspoons of enzymes (X 8 ) per cup,from Diane. (Also some home cooked meals)1 Trinfac-B capsule once a day. Also 1/8 t. of ground coriander, 1/16 t. of ground fennel seed and cinnamon per meal (for stomach acid and burps). Cylosporine 100 mg. every other day as needed for  allergies.

January 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

Just listened

well done

and its amazing that Dr Williams was able to help out

Jean

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

enzymes-Panzym 1 gram per meal twice daily ( 1/4 teaspoon )  plus one Lypex

B12 injection once every three weeks

one Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

one Antepsin before bedtime

alergies to beef pork chicken and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

39 kilos as of 10th June 2014

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

January 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Miss Lulupants
Administrator

Hi all, there's now a Podcast page accessible from the main navigation with a streaming player you can listen with on the page itself as well as a link to download the podcast. Great job, Cynthia, Olesia and David!

http://www.epi4dogs.com/apps/podcast/

--

Craig

Lulu (aka Miss Lulupants) is a 6.5 year old 'Red Shepherd' (Australian Red Heeler x Long-hair GSD) who lives on the Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia. Diagnosed with EPI in April 2010. Currently on one Creon 25k per meal; 2 cups Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula kibble per day (over two meals) + one Wonderlabs Trinfac every so often. Click here for diet/med details. Miss Lulupants' story has been archived but it starts here. Lulu currently weighs: 21.5kg (47.4 pounds). Is probably a Chunky Monkey again too :P Lulu is super-smart, a bit plump and very pretty (everybody says so - including her!).

January 4, 2013 at 3:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Miss Lulupants
Administrator

Am also shifting this thread to the General Discussion area now so everyone will see it and have a listen to this fab show...

--

Craig

Lulu (aka Miss Lulupants) is a 6.5 year old 'Red Shepherd' (Australian Red Heeler x Long-hair GSD) who lives on the Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia. Diagnosed with EPI in April 2010. Currently on one Creon 25k per meal; 2 cups Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula kibble per day (over two meals) + one Wonderlabs Trinfac every so often. Click here for diet/med details. Miss Lulupants' story has been archived but it starts here. Lulu currently weighs: 21.5kg (47.4 pounds). Is probably a Chunky Monkey again too :P Lulu is super-smart, a bit plump and very pretty (everybody says so - including her!).

January 4, 2013 at 3:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val

Got a load to do at the moment but can't wait to listen.... 

Val

--

Razzy, GSD.

EPI for 4 1/2 years... sadly lost to cancer 30th July 2011 aged 9 1/2 years.

January 4, 2013 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

thank you SO much Craig for uploading the PodCast so that everyone can listen to it and thank for setting it up in it's own page...... you're the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

January 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

3dognite

Um, guys?  I just read up on pancreatitis...and I wonder if that's what my Rebel has suffered from a couple of times over the years.  I thought he had minor bloat (without torsion), but reading the petwebmd description of pancreatitis, I wonder if that's what he had.  And it sounds like if he does have epi, that those could have been precursors...

*sigh*  I need to listen to that podcast I guess.

--

Chris

Mom to:Rebel (9 year old GSD), Guinness (11 year old Brittany),Tank (12 year old Cardigan Welsh Corgi), 3 great cats, 2 great kids

January 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

747 views - 1 comment
1287 views - 4 comments
1349 views - 2 comments
2729 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "When Cedar was having difficulty and quickly wasting away before my eyes, my vet mentioned EPI and I searched the internet right away and found this site. Based on the informat..."
    A great resource!
  • "When I inherited Pixie from my mother-in-law, I was very nervous about managing her EPI. She had already been diagnosed, but as my m-i-l's health deteriorated, apparently Pixie..."
    Grateful EPI Mom
  • "We can't begin to explain how beneficial this website was and still is to us. When our poop Jade got diagnosed with EPI, we were just so overwhelmed with everything...the news a..."
    We wouldn't have survived...

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator