Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Whimsey is BACK!!!!

Wimmysmom

Hello everyone..

I know..I know..I know..it has been awhile :) I suppose you could say no news is good news..right??

Actually, Whimsey is doing pretty good..she has not had diarrhea in almost a year and we have her diet and meds all figured out. So, technically she is doing fine. We are back because she just won't gain weight. I am thinking she looks more and more like a EPI dog all the time..you know..skin and bones. We had, in the past, put her on enzymes. She did gain a little weight..but since we did not have her diet and meds figured out..we did not see any positive (no diarrhea) results. SO..we quit giving her enzymes. Now..we have made a full circle..I think we will have better results this time.

My enzyme purchase was BioCaseV capsules. I realize these are not the enzymes of choice..but since Whimseys problem is not exactly as severe as most EPI dogs..I was thinking that I could go with the capsules. My question is this.. Whimsey is about 35-40 lbs..it says "give 2-3 capsules before feeding" on the back of the bottle. I am going to start with 2..but is it like the other enzymes..where you have to wait before feeding? How can I administer them to her? Do I get her to swallow them?  Do I just open the caps and put them in her food? How long should I wait before I give her the food?  Sorry...I know certain things about the enzymes..but since I have not used these before I am wondering if someone who knows can help me.

THANKS

Heather and Whimsey

--

Whimsey is an 2 1/2  year old German Shortrhair Pointer. She was diagnosed IBD/ Lymphangectasia/allergies ,via full thickness biopsy, in December 2010. She currently eats: ground turkey, rice, potato, The Honest Kitchen "Performance"  10mg Prednisone, 1/4tsp Tylan. She also gets a B-12 shot monthly. . Also mom to Rolo a 11yo. Chocolate Lab. Oh...Tim and Jane too..my 2 legged children.:)

January 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paula

Wow, Heather - a blast from the past! I've thought of you a few times over the last months. Glad to hear Whimsey's been doing well. The easiest thing to start with might be B12. I know she's not EPI, but she has digestive issues and B12 deficiency is common in those cases. I would suggest you get the WonderLabs B12 pills with intrinsic factor (details listed under the B12 tab) and give her two a day with her food and see what happens. We have seen a great number of dogs recently that didn't thrive until they were consistently getting B12 - and monthly often isn't enough Now, if you are giving her the shots yourself, you could just change that to weekly if that's easier. I actually am giving Maya the B12 capsules, and giving her a shot in stressful times (like company coming to stay). Since B12 can't hurt, I figure, why not..... I don't know about the BioCase capsules, sorry. You might try using the Advanced Search feature to see if anyone else has offered suggestions.

--

Paula and Maya (bday 12/21/06) (diagnosed 10/26/10 TLI 1.5, B12 659 (ref:249-733), weight 52 lbs. After 30 days, retested B12/folate - B12 plummeted to 200, which greatly affected her personality. After following B12 protocol, currently giving semi-weekly B12 shots at home, plus daily WonderLabs Trinfac. Weight in July 2013: 75 lbs - the picture of health

January 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele
Administrator

There is a blast from the past!   Hey Heather - glad to all is going well!!!    The first thing I leaned to also was B12 - other than that - sorry, I can't help much.   Glad to hear Whimsey is doing so well though!!

--

Michele

http://gardensoftranquility.com/

Jackie - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   TOTW High Prarie, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   TOTW High Prarie, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

January 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

HI Heather so good to hear that Whimmsey has been doing so well.... but now... the setback... UGH.

ANyway... i too strongly recommend getting some B12 in her, either generic cobolamin shots or B12 capsules with the intrinsic factor included (i use Wonderlab's "Trinfac") .

ALso... to answer your question, yes, you would be better off to open these capsules, soprinkle on the food, moisten the food with the enzymes, let sit for 20 miunutes and then serve... you should do this to make sure the enzymes have the best opportunity to work and also do this (water & incubate) to avoid mouth sores.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She was getting Annamaet Lean kibble plus a lean meat and did well on it....... but we have since switched again because of her diabetes to an all home-made diet which she does even better on and has even been able to reduce the Vetsulin (por-based insulin) dose from 9 units to 6 units... because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia- -she is much more even keeled with a diet of sweet potato+ a lean meat+coconut oil/fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

January 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wimmysmom

Hi!!

Thanks gals!

Whimsey does get shots.. I had forgotten about the B12 for a couple of months..I got going along with her doing well and blitzed it. I was reading about her IBD and was upset with myself because I forgot the B12.. I started them again in October doing once weekly shots till this month..now we are at monthly. I had her blood tests run recently and everything was completely normal..however the vet doesn't test cobolamine.  SO..yes..I went on gut and started those shots up again. I haven't noticed 1 oz of difference in her yet..but..I will try giving it to her weekly again  from now on..also..we will start working in some enzymes.  We will continue the prednisone and tylan (this dog is very expensive..lol).

In the meantime, I will open the caps and let them sit.  That was my instinct..so thanks Olesia for confirming that for me. Something has got to be better than nothing for my skinny little pup.

--

Whimsey is an 2 1/2  year old German Shortrhair Pointer. She was diagnosed IBD/ Lymphangectasia/allergies ,via full thickness biopsy, in December 2010. She currently eats: ground turkey, rice, potato, The Honest Kitchen "Performance"  10mg Prednisone, 1/4tsp Tylan. She also gets a B-12 shot monthly. . Also mom to Rolo a 11yo. Chocolate Lab. Oh...Tim and Jane too..my 2 legged children.:)

January 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

Heather

welcome back

it was only very recently that I was looking at a old post and saw you there

nothing to add to the melting pot but to wish you luck

please dont beat yourself up

we all have a life to lead and sometimes everything just becomes too much and we forget the small things

I know I do and I bet so does everyone else

jeanxx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

enzymes-Panzym 1 gram per meal twice daily ( 1/4 teaspoon )  plus one Lypex

B12 injection once every three weeks

one Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

one Antepsin before bedtime

alergies to beef pork chicken and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

39 kilos as of 10th June 2014

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

January 3, 2013 at 3:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill

Hi Heather:

When I was looking at alternative enzymes to purchase without a prescription, I looked up the Bio Case V on amazon.com. Mostly because from all the reviews that are given I can usually get a good feel for the product. You might just want to go on amazon, type in the product, then after the capsules options read reviews. they are all over the map, meaning some soaked them, some didn't, etc... Good luck, your pup is beautiful.

--

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria

eats hard boiled eggs, RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning 3/24

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow,started Yucca Intensive 2x/day 4/29/14, 1 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day 

Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn

Optimmune and Dry eyes,  

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

January 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Wimmysmom

Jill..lol..That is exactly why I got the Biocase V Caps. I was on Amazon. The persuasive factor??? The price. I looked in KV vet (where I get her Tylan) and it was $11 for 30 some caps..I went to Amazon and I found 240 caps for $29!!!! ...A big no brainer when I already spend over $100 a month on this pup. I will look at the reviews to see what folks did...that's a good idea. Thanks!!

--

January 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Miss Lulupants
Administrator

Whimsey always was a complex little mite Heather so will read on with interest on how you go. Good luck!

--

Craig

Lulu (aka Miss Lulupants) is a 6.5 year old 'Red Shepherd' (Australian Red Heeler x Long-hair GSD) who lives on the Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia. Diagnosed with EPI in April 2010. Currently on one Creon 25k per meal; 2 cups Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula kibble per day (over two meals) + one Wonderlabs Trinfac every so often. Click here for diet/med details. Miss Lulupants' story has been archived but it starts here. Lulu currently weighs: 21.5kg (47.4 pounds). Is probably a Chunky Monkey again too :P Lulu is super-smart, a bit plump and very pretty (everybody says so - including her!).

January 4, 2013 at 2:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Hello Heather.

I dont know wether you are a member of the IBD group but i would suggest that it may be worth joing to talk to like minded people in the same situation as your self.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/IBDogs/

--

ANN (UK)

“Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  6 DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 is now 902.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

organic virgin  coconut oil dailly. Use Panzym 1/4 a tsp per 200 grams of food .Got SIBO under control after antibiotics ( stormormgyl) used synbotic by protexin. a pre-probotic also given daily.

January 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Ann, thanks for suggesting the IBD group to Heather..... that may be helpful.

Heather, please keep us posted!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She was getting Annamaet Lean kibble plus a lean meat and did well on it....... but we have since switched again because of her diabetes to an all home-made diet which she does even better on and has even been able to reduce the Vetsulin (por-based insulin) dose from 9 units to 6 units... because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia- -she is much more even keeled with a diet of sweet potato+ a lean meat+coconut oil/fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

January 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Wimmysmom

Oh yes.. Like Craig said, Whimsey is a complex creature..I have been a member of the IBD forum for about a year. BUT.. just like on this wonderful site..I haven't had to post lately..We have been coasting along. I just recently began to wonder why the heck won't this darn dog gain weight?!!? (Hey..I live a insanely busy life..lol).

I can't imagine that with the combo of her diet, meds, enzymes and weekly B-12 shots we won't see any results. We did do a baseline weight..a starting point..if you will..and she is currently at a measly 31lbs. Just to let you know..even when she was very ill with the diarrea and all..she weighed 40lbs. She looks really good in that picture to the left..So, this is becoming a priority.

Thanks all.. it is great to be in touch with old friends again.

Heather and the Skele-dog

--

January 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paula

We'll be pulling for you and your skele-dog - can't wait to not see her ribs anymore!

--

Paula and Maya (bday 12/21/06) (diagnosed 10/26/10 TLI 1.5, B12 659 (ref:249-733), weight 52 lbs. After 30 days, retested B12/folate - B12 plummeted to 200, which greatly affected her personality. After following B12 protocol, currently giving semi-weekly B12 shots at home, plus daily WonderLabs Trinfac. Weight in July 2013: 75 lbs - the picture of health

January 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

I thought you wee part of that forum/group

ok

lets go back to basics and what you were doing then and build on it

so.................................

give us the literal low down on everything you do in a day someone will surely come in

I have no IBD background but Kar has so many issues

jxx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

EPI dx August 2010

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

January 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara

ok

my post diappeared

we have been prescibed ranitadine which works on excess acids in the gut

our Doctors are looking at it for Derek who has IBS

This really has helped Kara who was shedding her bowel lining

I am also pleased to report that it has helped Gillian and Wallace who was also producing excess acids ,her vet suggested it just before Gee asked for it...............................we had discussed it at length

so it might be worth considering

Jeansss

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

EPI dx August 2010

January 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Forum Posts

by Martini 29 minutes ago
by Jill 46 minutes ago
by epi4dogs 2 hours ago
by epi4dogs 2 hours ago

Recent Videos

971 views - 1 comment
1531 views - 4 comments
1575 views - 2 comments
3005 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "Although my EPI girl is no longer with us, I will be forever grateful to Olesia & everyone here on epi4dogs who helped me every step of the way. Whenever we had a problem, we ..."
  • "This Web site was my little gypsy lea night in shining armour when I had her taken from me on the basis of neglect eg. .. starvation I research her symptoms and to my relief I ..."
    Thank you all a 1000 × over
  • "I am so very thankful for this website, forum, and its members. I truly don't know where I would be without the knowledge and advice I've gained since becoming a member. Every..."
    Thrilled

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator