EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

managing EPI

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Difference in measuring implements

Jill

I am in the process of trying different things so as to not always have to feed Mickey incubated kibble, but have his poop remain tootsie rolls. This is what has been working: As per Cheryl: breakfast is 1teaspoon of vegetarian royal canin canned food, mixed with a little water. In this I add his 1/8t enzyme, probiotic and cosequin and stir until all is dissolved, feed it to him which he eats right up(probably because the canned food is a novelty). For lunch I incubate his food as usual, then dinner I have been filling a number 2 gel capsule(I think it is a 0) with the 1/8 teaspoon enzyme. I am using the top of an inexpensive ketchup dispenser I got at Bimart for the funnel, as per another member recommended. The enzyme sticks to the plastic so I am using a toothpick to push it down in. Give it to him about 10 minutes in some non fat cream cheese and then feed his dry kibble. This seems to be working well and not upsetting the apple cart.

Everything was going well, we were in Oregon at our business in the trailer staying for awhile and I was using my 1/8 t measuring device and all but a skosh was fitting in the base of the capsule. So then we came back to our home for awhile, to a different 1/8 measuring spoon, and lo and behold there is a lot more left behind that won't fit in the capsule base(I mean comparatively speaking, how much can be left with only starting out with 1/8 teaspoon!) But quite a bit won't fit. So this led to that and pretty soon I have all my sets of measuring spoons I have accumulated over the years, old metal beat up ones, plastic ones, and some odd shaped newer kind my kids think I need to graduate to. Well, they aren't the same. Some hold more than others. I guess it all averages out in the wash, just thought I would throw this out there. We spend time in Oregon at our business in a 5th wheel and our house in Washington state and I try not to have to take dog stuff(between the two dogs and medicines and supplements my husband just looks and shakes his head!) between the two places. But now I will try to find two measuring spoons that are equal. Thanks to everyone who emailed me back about filling capsules and what they do pre meal with the enzymes so their furry friends can sometimes eat crunchy kibble. Happy New Year everyone.

--

Mickey 6/99  18lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis

eating whatever he will eat at the time lol

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal, Optagest mixed in also

hyperuricosuria: potassium citrate nightly for urine alkalinization

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .2mg soloxine, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning 3/24

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 4x/day, 30mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  

1/4 Zantac am and pm, Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn, Duralactin and Phycox chews 

Optimmune and Dry eyes, 125mg amoxicillan started 4/11 for teeth problem 

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

January 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill

I meant to say after the breakfast enzyme mixture, then I feed him his kibble.

--

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .2mg soloxine, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning 3/24

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 4x/day, 30mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow

1/4 Zantac am and pm, Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn, Duralactin and Phycox chews 

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

January 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shirl

I'm glad you've found a system that works for you.  And if it works for Mickey too, that is the icing on the cake!  I have probably about 8 sets of measuring spoons (I love kitchen gadgets and utensils!)  I have never compared them to see how close they are.  That would be interesting.

--

Mom to Pixie, 8 year old sheltie,inherited from my mother-in-law 3/11.  Dx of EPI 9/09.  TLI in 10/09 was 0.4 ug/L.  As of 12/2/11, Folate fasting levels was 13.6 ug/L, and Cobalamin fasting was 615.   Current weight 20.9 lbs (7/13), solid member of the Chunky Monkey Club!  Ideal weight around 17, I think, but she's not obese at this weight, so maybe 17 is a little low.  Feeding grain free - Merrick 96% Pork canned and Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb kibble.  Giving slightly less than 1/2 tsp Pancreatin 8X per 1/2 cup of food.  Tylan 1x/day maintenance dose.  Also takes 1/2 tablet pepcid for stomach upset 2x/day.   Getting bi-weekly B-12 shots.  Our little pack also includes my husband, our 13 year old sheltie, Lucy, and our 10 year old sheltie, Einstein. 

January 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill

It is interesting to see just how far off they are. I tried taking a pair of tweezers with the big end of the gel capsule and dipping it in to the enzymes, then tamping it on its end, but man the tweezers kept slipping and the gel cap got lost in the enzymes!! I love all this stuff. So now you know what we do around Brinnon, Wa when we are bored, we get out the measuring tools and see how accurate they are! Let me know if you do.

--

January 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

Jill.. okay... you made me laugh.... i never suspected that different measuring tools that supposedly measured the same amount could actually be off...... until..... i tried helping a fella from Indonesia treat his pup....kind of a long-distance treatment plan.  WELL... we struggled with measurements and then he discovered that not all his utensils measured the amounts equally.... so then i whipped out my arsenal of measuring tools.... and sure enough.... none of them agreed with one another!!!!!! Each was off a small amount...crazy, eh?!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

January 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill

Olesia- great to hear you on live stream yesterday on the radio. The information that was put out was wonderful

Yes, sometimes I actually think I will drive myself even more crazy trying to be precise and get things right. I guess it all averages out in the wash but sheesh, when you grab 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon no matter which one it should be 1/2 teaspoon. I guess I should weigh the contents since I know how much 1 teaspoon of the enzyme weighs.

--

January 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Jill- i had that problem when i switched to a powder laid all the spoons out and saw that they were different i purchased one of those really accurate small digital scales- like the druggies used as i called them to ensure that Maddie got her dosing right and then found the spoon to fit the  measured dose .

--

ANN (UK)

“Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  6 DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 is now 902.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

organic virgin  coconut oil dailly. Use Panzym 1/4 a tsp per 200 grams of food .Got SIBO under control after antibiotics ( stormormgyl) used synbotic by protexin. a pre-probotic also given daily.

January 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epi4dogs
Site Owner

That's what my friend told me, what Ann does.............my friend's daughter is a professional baker and they were taught in school to not use measuring utensils but rather to weigh everything for accuracy.

But i am kind of lucky with Izzy.....i am able to cheat quite a bit with her, so even with the enzymes.... when i am off a little pinch, it doesn't matter much for us.... but it did matter a lot when i was under dosing her enzymes by 1/4 teaspoon.... now THAT made a difference when she aged and needed her enzymes increased..............

But... when i bake bread.... oh yeah....to measure the ingredients.... i use the scale now!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy-35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable almost 8 yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Feed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane. I give 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make chnages to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content  her diet. She now gets 1/2 Annamaet Lean kibble and 1/2 TOTW kibble with either lean pork loin meat, or chicken breast or tuna twice a day. She also receives  9 or 10 units of Vetsulin (depending on her blood glucose reading) a pork based insulin. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. And now we have to monitor her exercise.   It's been one heck of a journey... but aside from all that Izzy has gone thru with her health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

January 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Advanced Forum Search

For best results use this box to search forum

Recent Videos

257 views - 2 comments
433 views - 4 comments
545 views - 2 comments
1130 views - 0 comments

Testimonials

• "One year ago I found this site by listing all my dogs symptoms on a google search. After reading your good advice and testimonials, I had my vet do both the TLI and the Cobalami..."
    Thank you epi4dogs
  • "When a child is sick, there is limited things you can do. They can't tell you where it hurts or what's wrong. The days before Kobe's diagnosis of EPI were filled with fear, worr..."
    The only place
  • "As Kodi became our 2nd EPI dog, I was really I was searching for more information about EPI and came across this site. It has so much research and information that I wish I h..."
    Dar
    Great information and current research

Recent Visitors

Facebook Like Button

Twitter Tweet Button

Google +1 Button

Google Translator