Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Help with enzymes

Nancy S

New to the forum and need help with feeding. My bichon- poodle mix, Ellie, was adopted in 2003 from a rescue so were not sure about exact age but think she's 13 now. She was diagnosed with diabetes in Dec 2012 and has had a few bouts of pancreatitis over the past 2 yrs. Starting losing interest in food and losing weight - went from 15 lbs to 11 lbs in 2 months - very scary. Vet has been doing BCG curves every few weeks to get insulin dosage right and was supposed to do TLI test last week but vet techs forgot to do the test. After reading all the posts here I suspected EPI and vet agreed testing was not necessary since she had all the other symptoms - diarrhea, loose stools, gas, gurgling sounds, etc. Suggested we start the enzymes and we did (pancrezyme) but she's refusing to eat her EN canned or dry food now with the enzyme added after only 1 day so I stopped attempting to give it to her since I don't want her to lose any more weight. She's getting 5 units of insulin am/pm, probiotic, Pepcid, and is also on tramadol because her hip was displaced while at the vet for BCG curve testing in Dec. She has gained back almost a pound (12 lbs now) but I think that's due to the diabetes stabilization. She's had ultrasounds to check for inflammation, abdominal abscesses, etc and none were found. If anyone has experienced issues with their dog not tolerating the enzyme and has any suggestions on how to get her to eat her food with the enzyme please respond. We're feeding 5 oz purina en morning and night and a smaller portion mid afternoon. If someone can post how much enzyme they usually give for a small dog and how to dilute it properly I would really appreciate it. I'm grateful for what I learned so far on this forum and hope someone can help my baby girl.

March 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicola king

Hi.  lots more folk will respond once america wakes up.  welcome to the forum.  I have a lab who will eat anything (including things that we wouldnt count as food) and always ha,s so the enzymes were no challenge to her.  I have heard others have this issue though and many of them have had success with "toppers"  -something with a strong smell that the dog likes added to the food just before you give it.  parmesan cheese and canned fish are ones I recall but if you do a search on toppers you will get lots of mentions and suggestions.

There are lots of different brands of enzyme and some smell much more and worse than others.  I bought small packs of several different brands as I couldnt stand the smell but have recently switched to feeding fresh pancreas which my dog thinks is a treat!.  Trial and errort will tell.

I'm sure lots of others will arrive in a few hours with lots of other suggestions. Good luck

--

diagnosed 16th Jan 2013.  Symtoms and clinical signs: PU/PD weight loss, hypoalbuminaemia, Raised ALK/ALP low USG.

10/1/13 TLI 3.8, Fo 7.8 B12 677 weight 24.5kg.  Fed Pets at home sensitive salmon. 240g plus 67 g cottage cheese am and pm with 3tsp pancreatic enzymes for cats and dogs.

23/1/13: weight 27.5kg, USG near normal. Stop cottage cheese. Trying Chemeyes 1tsp.

7/2/13 weight 28.5kg most blood tests returned to normal.  USG still low. Now on Panzyme 1tsp. starting coconut and salmon oil caps

16/3/13 weight 28.1kg now on raw pancreas. TLI 2.1, B12: 310, Fo:9 starting B12 injections.

30/4/13 B12 1363 weight 30 kg (and on a diet)

12/7/13 B12 1300+ (Chemeye dropped to alternate days) weight 31.5 KG (stricter diet!) temp change to panzyme as raw pancreas unavailable Mar 2014 doing really well weight stable . Panzyme .kibble.alt day chemeye b12 caps alt day salmon and coconut oil. Twice daily ranitidine. Teeth extracted -totally rotten

March 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hi Nancy

Wam welcome to you.....i have dropped an e-mail to several members including the list owner that are also dealing with diabetic dogs.

The starting dose for enzymes is 1tsp to 1 cup of dry food or 3/4 tsp to 1 cup of wet food...add in some warm /tepid water  not a lot we dont want mush stir the enzymes in and let it sit for 20 minutes.

Now why wont your dog eat well one of the reasons for this is that the B12 may be low..this happens in 82% of EPI dogs....but i have also seen this with diabetic dogs but you say that this is under control....therfore you need to discuss a course of b12 injections..the other thing to try is a topper something like sardines as Nicole has suggested....but i think B12 may be the culprit here.

.And if you really are struggling ask your vet for a prescription for creon often it is the smell of the enzymes that the dogs dont like.,

The food isnt what we would really recommend we look at fibre below 4 % grain free and normally  fat need not be restricted.

finally some dogs wont eat because there stomach is upset and we need a course of antibotics often it is the interaction of b12 and a course of tylan that is needed to aid a dogs full recovery.

I am going to end this by saying that i would still recommend testing just in case it is something else .

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 19, 2013 at 5:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy S

Thank you both - Ann and Nicola. I'm hesitant to change food again as the EN seemed like a last resort. She was eating it for 2 weeks ( and gaining back a bit of weight) up until I added the pancrezyme 2 days ago.  She's been on iams low res, science diet WD and ID but has lost interest in all. A few weeks back I was boiling chicken with rice and she lost interest in that so switched to ground beef and brown rice but I was concerned about lack of nutrients. I added some ground beef to the EN w/enzyme the other day and she just picked out the beef. After reading the forum last night, I mixed the enzyme with a few tbsps of warm water, mixed it into the  EN canned and let it sit for 30 mins. She ate about 2/3 of the half cup served this morning. We're trying to keep meals small and 3 times a day. Is that the recommended way to get the enzyme into the food?  Can you pre-mix the enzyme with water and store it in the fridge?  I have a teenage son who will be feeding her when he gets home from school and I want to make the process as simple as possible for him. Sorry for the stupid questions but I don't understand why the pancrezyme website isn't clearer about the right way to feed the enzyme and possible side effects. Do you store the enzyme powder in the fridge or just a cool place?  Does the enzyme lose its effectiveness within some period of time once mixed with the food?  Thanks again for all of your help.  PS re the antibiotics - she just finished a course of metronidazole which she's been on before with temporary results which is why the vet feels she has EPI. Poop is more solid this week but that's happened before with the metro and then the diarrhea returns. PPS Vet bills have been about $5k over the last 3 months (and the BCG testing will probably continue forthe next few months) so I'd like to avoid any more tests that aren't absolutely necessary. 

March 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dar

Hi Nancy,

Yes .. you can mix the enzymes with the food and water..let sit for the 30 minutes..then put in the fridge...then bring it out and reheat by putting the bowl in some warm water to bring it to room temperature..some dogs will eat it cold right out of the fridge..others won't.   Alot of vets do not have EPI patients... so when they get one..it is a learning process for them too.the great thing about this forum is that you get ideas from EPI dog owners living with their pups on a daily basis. Yes it is too bad there is not better instructions on the emzyme bottles...but we are spreding the word on how to use them!!!  Also remember...your pup is not feeling well through all of this...check out the info above...it is alot..but when you get everything going together...food, enzymes,B12, and SIBO treatment, with some tweaking it will come together for you.  I just have the enzymes in 'Kodis' cupboard  in the kitchen..you know.. like her own medicine cupboard!!!  How long was Ellie on metro?? recommended course is 30 -45 days.. Feel free to print and share any of the info with your vet...or even give him the site info.

Hope this helps.. Keep asking questions 

--

Dar and Kodi, From Washington state

' I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am !!'

Kodi (GSD female) , born August 19, 2010 , was diagnosed July 15, 2011 at 11 months .Lowest weight, 47 lbs, weight as of  4/27/2013  62.9 lbs. Our goal for her at this time is now 65 lbs. !!!   And she made it!! .  TLI .07 , Folate 9.4 , Cobalmin 536 .

Kodi is on Pioneer Naturals Whitefish or Venison , 2  cups kibble twice a day with  3/4 teaspoons of enzymes (X 8 ) per cup,from Diane. 1 Trinfac-B capsule once a day. Also 1/8 t. of ground coriander, 1/16 t. of ground fennel seed and cinnamon per meal (for stomach acid and burps). KOdi started having issues again with her feet.. I think it was the peas in the Acana foods..and her poo is good with the Pioneer Naturals too, she is not really happy about eating, but she is happier (or maybe I am to have solved the gnawing of the paws). So we will see how this works !

March 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy S

Thanks Dar. Vet agrees we can start B12. Will take Ellie back for th TLI panel and get b12 levels with next BCG curve test next weekend.  For today she's eaten both bkfast and lunch w/soaked pancrezyme so thanks again to all for the advice. Ellie was on metro for about 10 days. Hoping for good poop today:).  

March 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dar

Be sure and fast for 12 hours before the TLI test......and do not start  the B12 before the test, then you wil get a true reading

--

Dar and Kodi, From Washington state

' I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am !!'

Kodi (GSD female) , born August 19, 2010 , was diagnosed July 15, 2011 at 11 months .Lowest weight, 47 lbs, weight as of  4/27/2013  62.9 lbs. Our goal for her at this time is now 65 lbs. !!!   And she made it!! .  TLI .07 , Folate 9.4 , Cobalmin 536 .

Kodi is on Pioneer Naturals Whitefish or Venison , 2  cups kibble twice a day with  3/4 teaspoons of enzymes (X 8 ) per cup,from Diane. 1 Trinfac-B capsule once a day. Also 1/8 t. of ground coriander, 1/16 t. of ground fennel seed and cinnamon per meal (for stomach acid and burps). KOdi started having issues again with her feet.. I think it was the peas in the Acana foods..and her poo is good with the Pioneer Naturals too, she is not really happy about eating, but she is happier (or maybe I am to have solved the gnawing of the paws). So we will see how this works !

March 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Two GSDs

B12 shots made a huge difference in my dog's whole attitude, appetitie included!

March 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

She's Got Moxi

I had the same problem with Moxi losing interest in food before she was diagnosed. She refused Science Diet, I even covered it with peanut butter - she licked off the peanut butter and dropped the dog food pieces on the floor. She had Taste of the Wild for a few days then refused it. We went to homemade, but the EPI problems continued.

So when we started enzymes with TOTW I was worried she wouldn't eat. I put sardines with her food from the start, and she hasn't refused a meal yet. I gradually weaned her off the sardines. Now she eats her food plain with the enzymes.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

--

Pat - mom to Moxi & Sadie (nonEPI) b 12/14/13

MOXI 7/16/12-8/15/13 Gone to the Rainbow Bridge too soon!  Parvo survivor - dx  EPI 3/19/2013 at 24#, got up to 41# before kidneys failed unrelated to EPI  Thank you for loving us, Moxi!      

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiquickguide.htm

http://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881

http://enzymediane.com/

MOXI'S JOURNEY IS DONE, BUT OUR ROAD GOES ON...

March 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Hello Folks,

Thanks Maddie Ann for the shout out. I couldn't tell who was the new diabetic so am starting this thread.

I am at an extremely busy point right now and although I wish I could help more I am unable to. My schedule should be calmer in a week.

My suggestion would be to read through prior posts in the diabetes file and to join at:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/

I will check back in as time allows.

Tara

Tara & Ruby 13 yr. old Boston Terrier who just keeps going against all odds!

EPI: 3/4 tsp. 8x pacreatin from Enzyme Diane w/ 3/4 c. Honest Kitchen Embark & 1/4 c. Origen

Megaesophagus: Needs to have mostly Honest Kitchen consistency as anything else won't make it down, Fed upright and remains up for 1/2 hr.

Diabetes: .5 units Levemir 2x daily, .05 units Humalog 2x daily

Hello looks like Tara couldnt find your thread so here is her reply.

I to would recommend you look on the diabetic forum form what i understand they can help out showing you how to home test etc and to reduce your on going costs alot of the members go between to two forums.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 20, 2013 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ollies mom

Hi Nancy, my Silky terrier was diagnosed as diabetic about 9 months after being diagnosed with epi...after one very scary acute bout of pancreatitis.  He would NOT eat his food that had been treated with the enzymes.  I have since resorted to trying to hide the enzymes in his food.  One very good trick is babyfood!! I use the beef n broth, I put the enzymes in the room temp baby food and let it sit for 15-20 min then I mix it in his mixture of W/D & I/D....and to top it off I get shaved Parmesian cheese!! While we still have our days of not wanting to eat most of the time he gobbles it up :)  We are still working on regulating his diabetes..the enzymes cause a huge food rise for the first 6 hours!!

Anyway, there are lots of great suggestions in the thread.  I hope starting the B12 helps, it certainly helped my little boy :)

--

Danielle & Oliver - 10 yr old Silky Terrier

Acute case of pancreatitis October 2009 - spent a week in the hospital in renal failure (misdiagnosed as Leptospirosis)

Feb 2012 - diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis,1/4tsp BioCase V with every meal. Dec 2012 - diagnosed with diabetes.

January-discovered Freestyle Gluclose meter was reading incorrectly...10 (180) points too low

April 13-stopped Creon, Pepcid and OcuGlo, started HK Preference w/boiled chicken and a liver support vitamin (Zentonil)...gained 1 lb in 3 weeks :)

March 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ruby'stara
Hello Folks, 

Thanks Maddie Ann, I found it! Just a second till I am off to work.

I imagine the addition of enzymes will change the way your pup absorbs food and there fore processes the insulin. Not sure how valuable curves will be at this point other then assuring she isn't dropping too low. I think the enzymes will increase the numbers and need for insulin.

Testing is a great idea and can save you a ton of money. I use the One Touch 
Ultra 2 (not the mini meter). You can purchase on eBay for about $20, and strips 50/$25. There are a lot of videos and tips on k9 diabetes. Here is a link to them:

Either way if you decide to get a meter and want to do something other then the One touch, try to get input first as some of them can be notoriously bad.

I would be happy to look at your curves and interpret them as time allows if you send them to me through PM. Just know that whatever you are seeing now will probably change maybe even dramatically with the addition of enzymes.

Tara
March 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Hi Nancy and a very warm welcome to you and Ellie.... she is ADORABLE.... i hope you nwill be able to post more pictures ofr her!

Everyone has already given you great suggestions... Dar explained the refrig food... i personally don't advocate doing this at the very beginning of diagnosis simply bbecause "some" dogs don't do well on this system (like my Izzy) , and yet other dogs do perfectly fine on it (like Dar's Kodi).... so i personally just tend to err on the side of caution .....however....once Ellie is EPI stable, sure, try the refrig method ;).... maybe she'll be like Kodi. and be able to handle it well.  That is the thing about many of these EPI dogs.... they don't all respond according to plan !

B12 make a HUGE difference with so many dogs... my non-EPi dog has a B12 issue and we have trouble feeding her unless i keep her on a B12 regimen.

Regarding managing Diabetes.... our Izzy was just diagnosed with Diabetes so i took Tara's advice and purchased the "One Touch Ultra 2"... and love it... AND my vet is very pleased with this monitor... he loves the fact that i can monitor (pretty accurately too) her BGs at home.  Also.... join the k9-diabetes forum at this website http://www.k9diabetes.com/ GREAT insight and information about managing all the crazy variables that you encounter with a diabetic dog.

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

March 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy S

Thanks Olesia, Tara and Danielle. Vet is advising against using at home testing. Thinks using a different meter from her office will give mixed results. So for now I'll wait on the meter. I've pointed her to this forum so hopefully she'll pick up the great info you all have provided. Ellie's been on the enzyme for the last 2 days - had 3 meals yesterday and 4 today. Still eating the EN canned and dry mixed now with 1/2 tsp of pancrezyme for bkfast and dinner. Still a bit gassy, stomach gurgling and poop is still soft but not diarrhea so I guess that's an improvement for such a short time period. She's in good spirits and almost back to her silly self. She seems to have put on another pound since last week so that's good news too. She's putting more weight on the side with the displaced hip and we're assuming it has formed some scar tissue by now. We're giving her a small amount of tramadol for pain but may taper it off. I don't know how she's managing so well considering the diabetes, hip dysphasia, and EPI but she's a tough cookie.  I'm so heartened by the success stories on this site. Thank you all again for the messages and support. 

--
March 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy S

Ellie's not been eating well for the ast 2 days. Tried adding tuna to the EN canned with enzyme and she only picked out the tuna. Got her to eat the 1/2 c EN dry with the enzyme late last night but she was drying to be fed more but wouldn't touch any more food w/enzyme. Served both EN canned w/tuna and EN dry with enzymes this morning and she only picked at both. Had very small soft but well formed poop last night and tthis morning so I guess that's progress. 

March 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy S

She's Got Moxi at March 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I had the same problem with Moxi losing interest in food before she was diagnosed. She refused Science Diet, I even covered it with peanut butter - she licked off the peanut butter and dropped the dog food pieces on the floor. She had Taste of the Wild for a few days then refused it. We went to homemade, but the EPI problems continued.

So when we started enzymes with TOTW I was worried she wouldn't eat. I put sardines with her food from the start, and she hasn't refused a meal yet. I gradually weaned her off the sardines. Now she eats her food plain with the enzymes.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Pat - how long has Moxi been eating TOTW?  Thanks,

--
March 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator

Hi Nancy- just a thought but you might give it a hard look at the food if you change her diet before the TLi test. I was just thinking you don't want to bring on another pancreatitis attack with added fat of a change in food if at all avoidable. Your pup is one cutie. Sorry you have a problem getting food in sometimes with the enzymes. I too do at times. I sometimes save the gel capsule from Mickeys cosequin and fill it with the enzyme and give it to him about 10 minutes before his meal. I use fat free cream cheese or non fat yogurt. Just a thought. Make sure when you get the tests done and then the results to post them in your signature at the end.

--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

March 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy S

Hi Jill - Mickey's adorable too!  Thanks for the advice. Please clarify - you're putting the enzyme powder inside a capsule?  If the enzyme burns their mouths if not allowed to bloom and sit for 30 minutes on the food are you aware of any adverse side effects of ingesting it in "pill" form?  Vet mentioned using pill pockets if she was avoiding the food w/ enzyme so maybe that's the same idea. I don't want to change food on her again so will try anything to help getting the enzyme into her. 

--
March 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ruby'stara
Hi Nancy, I would strongly disagree with your vet's recommendation not to home test. There may be differences in how the meters read, but you can always take yours to the vet to compare them. Believe me when you home test you get quite comfortable with this. I have 4 different meters and have run comparisons on all of them in many different ranges. Depending on how flush I am financially is what determines which meter I am using at the time.

I have never had a curve or any testing done by my vet. I have a reliable human meter (One touch ultra 2) and have made comparisons with my animal validated AlphaTrack.

The interplay between these two diseases is so key. Now that you are giving your pup enzymes the numbers will be changing....probably quite a bit.

The possibility is that now that she is getting enzymes it is spiking her BGs and that is why she doesn't feel well and is going off her food. The testing they do periodically at the vets just cannot cover and address everything that can go on in the course of a few days with a diabetic/ epi dog.

That being said , I can only assume she is running high, but in situations when the dog doesn't eat and not home testing the only safe thing to do is to cut her dose accordingly.

Recommended adjustments:
1/2 meal=1/2 dose
1/4 meal= 1/4 dose
no meal= 1/4 dose, some dog's can tolerate 1/3 dose, but this needs to be determined through testing.

I hope she feels better soon.

Tara
March 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy S

Hi Tara - we're cutting back the enzyme to 1/4 tsp into each serving of 1/2 c EN dry and 1/3 c EN canned but she's only picking at both even with the addition of tuna and hand feeding.  Wasting alot of food now.  Her poop is more solid but she really seems to hate the taste of the enzyme no matter what it's topped with or how long it sits on the food (usually 30 minutes).  She's drinking more water late at night and last night almost vomited (into her mouth) about 3 am.  That was almost 7 hours after she ate and had her insulin so I'm not sure what's going on now.  Perhaps a reaction to the enzyme? I think she would eat the EN if the enzyme wasn't added but the enzyme seems to have cured the diarrhea.  I'm taking her in on Friday for the TLI test and for BG curves so hopefully will learn more.  Hate to see her start to lose weight again.  She's definitely hungry and interested in food (ours) so it's not as bad as when the diabetes was first diagnosed in December.

--
March 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.