Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > 2 diabetic dogs desperately need new home

ruby'stara
I hope folks don't mind me cross posting this. It was posted on the k9diabetes forum. These are two dogs heading to the shelter because there owners can't manage diabetic dogs.

I know you all hear my struggles with Ruby's diabetes, but usually typical diabetes care is nowhere near as hard. Ruby also has epi and Megaesophagus  which makes the diabetes so challenging. 

Average cost for diabetes when you home test is truly minimal. A One Touch Ultra meter ($20) and strips ($25/50) can be purchased on ebay. Insulin can be purchased at walmart for $25 for a vial of NPH which most dogs use. That would probably last 4-6 weeks.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any interest in discussing what it takes to care for a diabetic dog and I could send you my phone numbers.

This is the direct link to see the post and pics:

And here is the text....incase you just can't stand to look at the photos if you aren't in a situation to help:(

Absolutely breaks my heart.

" Yesterday, 04:26 PM
k9diabetes  
Administrator

Two diabetic dogs in Georgia need new foster/forever homes
Two diabetic dogs -- a beautiful golden Lab and an equally beautiful Chi. The people who have these guys seem to be dysfunctional in that they can't work the simple needs of their dog into their schedule. Right! 

PLEASE CROSSPOST FOR THESE TWO -- They need to be placed soon or will wind up at the pound.

A Lab and a Chi -- both neutered, good with everything, house and crate trained -- these are perfect dogs. Transport is free to anywhere -- they are in Atlanta, GA.

If nobody steps up soon for these 2 dogs, they will be heading to the shelter and that will be a death sentence for them. Can anyone help?

If you can rescue, or provide a permanent home for either of these dogs, please email Caroline at [email protected] 

Both these lovely dogs were diagnosed with Diabetes about a month ago."

Thank you so much for your consideration or cross posting.

Tara
March 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gillian & Wallace

What a shame, sadly I'm in the UK so can't help. Both dogs diagnosed at the same time, strikes me as a little odd, and very unfortunate.

Fingers crossed for them. Please keep us updated.

Gillian x

--

Wallace rescue GSD. Currently feeding Wainwrights Turkey and Vegetable - 9ml of Panzym per meal, 2 meals a day of 1 1/2 cups of food. Tylan 1/8 teaspoon twice a day (this is half the recommended dose for his weight but the recommended dose made his poos soft!). Monthly B12 injection.

March 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Ahhh... this is so sad, i hope someone is willing to take them soon!

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

March 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

conniej

Are there any rescues that take dogs like these.

--

Zoe is now ten years old. After one year on cooked homemade I am changing her to all raw. She was diagnosed 8.5 years ago and is doing great.

March 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ruby'stara
that's a good idea, I will contact someone I know indirectly who works within a lab rescue.

Tara
March 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

conniej

Let us know how it goes.

--

Zoe is now ten years old. After one year on cooked homemade I am changing her to all raw. She was diagnosed 8.5 years ago and is doing great.

March 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PixelUlu

I signed up to the forums but still can't see the photos posted - I guess I need to pass a certain amount of time?

Anyway, I don't know if my husband and I can take in one or both of these dogs, but I really want to! I'm a type 1 diabetic and it breaks my heart that these pups might be put down because of it. I already have glucose meters and strips galore...

Do you know how old these dogs are? If they're UTD on all shots, spayed/neutered, temperaments, if they get along with other dogs/cats?

--
  • 09-03-2013 - TLI: 0.1ug/LCobalamin: 196ng/L, Folate: 17.9ug/L
  • 10-03-2013 - Weight: 58.5lbs (GW > 75.0lbs)
  • 14-03-2013 - Began using Pancrezyme, achieved solid stool!
  • 16-03-2013 - Noticed excessive panting
  • 20-03-2013 - Weight: 61.0lbs (up 2.5lbs, GW > 75lbs) 
  • 21-03-2013 - First B12 shot of 6-week shot regimen.
  • 22-03-2013 - Panting officially gone.

Currently feeding IAMS 3x daily with 1tsp/cup of Pancrezyme. 

March 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann
Administrator

Ashley here is the e-mail address

Caroline at [email protected]

Hope it works and Kelvin gets a play mate you will have your hands full one EPi and a diabetic dog.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

March 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gillian & Wallace

Post says "A Lab and a Chi -- both neutered, good with everything, house and crate trained -- these are perfect dogs." So looks like they are good all rounders. x

--

Wallace rescue GSD. Currently feeding Wainwrights Turkey and Vegetable - 9ml of Panzym per meal, 2 meals a day of 1 1/2 cups of food. Tylan 1/8 teaspoon twice a day (this is half the recommended dose for his weight but the recommended dose made his poos soft!). Monthly B12 injection.

March 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PixelUlu

I can't believe I missed that! Haha I feel foolish.

--
  • 09-03-2013 - TLI: 0.1ug/LCobalamin: 196ng/L, Folate: 17.9ug/L
  • 10-03-2013 - Weight: 58.5lbs (GW > 75.0lbs)
  • 14-03-2013 - Began using Pancrezyme, achieved solid stool!
  • 16-03-2013 - Noticed excessive panting
  • 20-03-2013 - Weight: 61.0lbs (up 2.5lbs, GW > 75lbs) 
  • 21-03-2013 - First B12 shot of 6-week shot regimen.
  • 22-03-2013 - Panting officially gone.

Currently feeding IAMS 3x daily with 1tsp/cup of Pancrezyme. 

March 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.