Title

Subtitle

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Pancreatitis to EPI ...

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

I am very pleased to announce that :

Penny Watson,  MA VetMD CertVR DSAM DipECVIM MRCVS
Senior Lecturer in Small Animal Medicine
Department of Veterinary Medicine
Cambridge Veterinary School
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Dr. Penny Watson is an esteemed canine and feline pancreatic researcher, contacted epi4dogs and offered to contribute to our website with regards to secondary EPI from chronic pancreatitis.

Secondary EPI via Pancreatits is not very well represented and we are honored that Dr. Watson is sharing her knowledge and research with us.

Please check out our new page on this "Pancreatitis to EPI"  http://www.epi4dogs.com/pancreatitistoepi.htm

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

July 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lewis

This is GREAT news!!!!

July 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jean and Kara
Administrator

I am so pleased about this and thank you Penny

jeanx

--

Kara

From Liverpool England

born 21st July 2009

Adopted at five months old 26th December 2009

EPI dx August 2010

tli<1.00 folate 8.3 cobalimin 611

Antibiotics  2 Oxytet antibiotics 3 times a day also if we cannot fit the Oxytet in she has Tylan 1/8th teaspoon before her meals as a maintenanance dose

Food- Ashenbank Lamb Casserole  twice daily equalling 3 cups per day possibly more

Zantac (ranitadine) 75 mg 30 minutes before each meal as too much acid was being produced, causing shedding of bowel lining

Enzymes-Panzym 3 gram per meal twice daily ( 3/4 teaspoon ) 

B12 injection once every three weeks

One Chemeyes B12 with intrinsic factor of 40 daily

One Antepsin before bedtime

Allergies to beef, pork, chicken. and white fish confirmed by blood test

33.6 kilos in weight as of 5th May 2013

37 kilos as of 10th June 2014

40.65 kilos, 89.6 pounds as of 3rd March 2015

Vet says she is now processing her food correctly

Very proud of all of us

"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE WAS INVENTED BY DOGS"

I am not a vet, nor have veterinary experience, but have lived and breathed EPI for 51/2 years, and hope I can bring some support to others, as others have to me.

July 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shirl

Wonderful!!!

--

Mom to Pixie, 11 year old sheltie,inherited from my mother-in-law 3/11.  Dx of EPI 9/09.  TLI in 10/09 was 0.4 ug/L.  As of 12/2/11, Folate fasting levels was 13.6 ug/L, and Cobalamin fasting was 615.   Current weight 20.2 lbs (7/15), solid member of the Chunky Monkey Club!  Feeding Canidae Grain-Free PURE Elements Lamb, Turkey & Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food, and Forza 10 Legend Digestion kibble.  We had to increase her dose of Pancreatin last year when she was 10. Tylan 1x/day maintenance dose.  Also takes 1/2 tablet pepcid for stomach upset 2x/day.   Getting bi-weekly B-12 shots.  Our little pack also includes my husband, our 13 year old sheltie, Einstein, and 3 year old sheltie, Zoey. 

July 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mutley's mum

Thank you, this Secondary EPI via Pancreatits info is really helpful information for me x

July 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator

Wow, what a wonderful work of study on the subject.  Sure makes sense and hopefully knowing the symptoms those of us who have the chronic pancreatitis pups will be aware of it progressing.  Thanks to Penny  for all the information in the study and thank you so much Olesia for posting it. 

--

Jill-  Washington State

Mickey 6/21/99 - 8/29/2014 

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

diet of  hard boiled eggs, macaroni,  RC Hepatic, mashed potato

2 #2 Dianes enzymes 6x premeal

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

July 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

She's Got Moxi
Love the interaction between researchers and this site! Reassuring that we get updates on the latest research even though we don't have direct access to those facilities!
--

Pat - mom to Moxi & Sadie (nonEPI) b 12/14/13

MOXI 7/16/12-8/15/13 Gone to the Rainbow Bridge too soon!  Parvo survivor - dx  EPI 3/19/2013 at 24#, got up to 41# before kidneys failed unrelated to EPI  Thank you for loving us, Moxi!      

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiquickguide.htm

http://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881

http://enzymediane.com/

MOXI'S JOURNEY IS DONE, BUT OUR ROAD GOES ON...

July 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator

Isn't this site just the best? 

--

Jill-  Washington State

17.5 lb  jack russell, chronic pancreatitis, hyperuricosuria,high blood pressure, hypothyroid, spinal stenosis

2.5 mg Amlodipine, .15mg soloxine am/pm, 100mg ursodiol started for gall bladder thinning

arthritis:  6.25mg tramadol 1x/day, 12.5mg gabapentin every 12 hrs,  Assisi soft loop used on back and elbow, 1- 540meq potassium citrate nightly

Denamarin once a day, 1/16 t tylan (150mg)  2x/day ,  Senilife started 12/14/13, Trixsyn sirup for arthritis, .1mg Adequan weekly by shot. 75mg Tylan 2x./day for SIBO

Optimmune for Dry eyes

Kiya is Mickeys sister, 3/4 aussie, 1/4 blue heeler born 9/2006.  She thinks she is a 44 lb jack russell who tries to heel Mickey!!

TJ is the newest addition.  He is in the bottom picture with Kiya.  He was born 7/05/2015. 

I am not a vet, just a pet owner sharing what experiences I have had in helping my dogs with other pet owners.  If you have an emergency please call your vet.

July 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michele
Administrator

Thank you Dr. Penny - AWESOME!!!    

--

Michele

Jackie (10/15/08 - 11/8/15) - Diagnosed at 9 mos (09/09) - TLI 0.3 and low end of B12.  Pancreatin 8x dosing 3/4tsp per cup.   TOTW High Prarie, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor daily, probiotics and Duralactin in the am. Mega-E:  cisapride and metoclopramide.    Stable and happy 122lbs - thanks to all the beautiful souls on this forum, we could not have done it without YOU.

Dexter - Diagnosed 11/10 approx 3 yrs of age.   We failed fostering and now he has his forever home :)   At initial testing - TLI 1.2 (range 5-35) B12 254 (range 249-733) folate 20.2 (range 6.5-11.5)   Victor Hero Grain Free, Pancreatin 8x dosing is 3/4 tsp per cup, Trinfac-B Intrinsic Factor 3 x's weekly, probiotics with each meal and glucosamine chondroitin in the am.  Hypothyroidism:   Soloxine.    Stable and happy 97 lbs.

July 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator

I ran across this article awhile ago and catalogued it in my brain facility.  I know it is concerning a person and not a dog.  Mickey cannot use metronidazole as it causes him neurological problems, and this is in the first to second dose administered.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2939404/

There was a second case study also when I googled the connection that I did not include.

--

Jill-  Washington State

Optimmune for Dry eyes

July 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

fra nevina

Hi guys! I've just got the blood's test of my girl. TLI is around 2,35 but she has hight lipase...amylases are in the range. My girl had a chronic pancreatitis for 6 months and now it seems to carries on in EPI. Someone can explain me the hight level of lipases in her blood? B12 and folate are normal. Is it possibile that abnormal lipases with Epi? Thank u all

--

Neve, 3 years old. Acute panceatitis in 2012 and chronic pancreatitis till 2013 on june. Then EPI. TLI around 2,36 but hight lipases. Use LIPEX as enzyme, one tablet a day, divided in 3 meals.Feed rabbit and vegetable mix in the morning and evening. Rice and peas at lunch...sometime an egg! Flex seed oil in the morning (1 tsp) and coconut oil next day. Starting Trinfac Wonderlabs , 1 per day. Omeopathic cares: Nux vomica 30 ch, 5 pills, every nights and omeopathic pancreatinum 5 ch every morning, 3 pills.

September 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

hmmm..... i am not a vet but based on Dr. Watson's findings with secondary EPI cases that have developed from Chronic Pancreatitis ....... it sounds like she might have both EPI (in the atrophied acinar cells) and a Pancreatitis in the remaining pancreatic acinar cells that have not completely  atrophied yet into EPI... especially since she has had Chronic Pancreatitis for 6 months prior to this.

Dr. Watson is in the UK and is more then willing to do a consult with your vet if you would like.  Her contact information (along with her research on this) is on this page: http://www.epi4dogs.com/pancreatitistoepi.htm

If this is not what is going on...... here is a general explanation of high Lipase Values that, although it doesn't given definite diagnosis.... it  might help explain some possibilities  http://www.2ndchance.info/dxme-Lipase.htm

"Lipases are a group of enzymes your dog or cat produces to help it absorb and utilize fats. The one that veterinarians are most interested in is the one produced by your pet’s pancreas to aid in digestion. Your pet’s pancreatic ducts (common bile duct in cats) normally carries that lipase it to its intestine.

Anything that disrupts the lipase flow, or ruptures the pancreatic cells that produce it, has the ability to raise the level of lipase in your pet’s blood. So when your pet is ill with abdominal (tummy) signs and your veterinarian runs standard blood work profiles, and sees an elevated serum lipase level, the first thing that will come to mind will be that the pet's pancreatic might be involved.

But unfortunately, serum lipase levels are not all that accurate in determining that a pancreatic problem does or does not exist. It measures too many body lipase sources, lipase levels can fluctuate rapidly (short half-life), and pancreatic problems can exist in dogs and cats even when total blood lipase levels are normal. So an elevated level really means that other tests need to be run and that a normal total blood lipase reading should not cross pancreatic problems off your vet's diagnostic list. When your pet’s blood lipase levels are 3x normal, they are considerably more reliable in accurately pointing to the pancreas as the source. They are much less so when the elevation is less than that.

Reasons Why Your Pet’s Serum Lipase Levels Might Be High :

Less than dramatic (1.5 - 3 times normal) increases in lipase are hard to interpret. Also, almost a third of dogs with confirmed pancreatitis have normal lipase levels. The test is even less accurate in cats. So your vet must send off other test before deciding what a change in your pet’s blood lipase level might really means. Luckily, those new tests are available; and some can be run right in the office. They are the cPL, fPL, cTLI, fTLI, TLI tests.

Acute Pancreatitis (sudden=acute), corticosteroid medications (prednisone, etc), liver disease in dogs, kidney failure (dog or cat), abdominal infections (peritonitis) digestive tract obstructions, surgery, pancreatic tumors or infection can all raise your pets serum lipase levels.

Lipemic blood samples (fatty sample), can falsely lower the lipase reading, resulting in a false-normal or subnormal blood lipase level. Hemolized blood samples can falsely raise your pet’s blood lipase readings."

--

Olesia, owned by Izzy, a 35lb SWD, Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.3, Stable 9+ yrs! Once stable, was able to reduce enzymes to only 1/2 tsp of Enzymes (use EnzymeDiane's 6x) with each meal, but after almost 4 years of stabilization... had to increase the amount of enzymes to 3/4 teaspoon with each meal. Fed various grain-free kibble+real meat, 6x pancreatin enzymes from EnzymeDiane., gave 1 tsp of coconut oil one day and 1 tsp salmon oil next day, and also give canned sardines packed without salt or canned herring for extra omega oils.... until she developed Diabetes and now cannot tolerate higher fat foods.

In Feb 2013, Izzy developed a very serious condition called IMHA which she (thankfully) beat and is now in remission. We also discovered that now, at 8+ years old, she not only has EPI, but also Diabetes, Low Thyroid and High Cholesterol.  Izzy was able to receive excellent care because of the kindness of so many here on epi4dogs and  is currently  doing extra-ordinarily well. If anyone could spend a day with Izzy, they would never guess that she has any health problems!  Because of Izzy's concurrent conditions of Diabetes and High Cholesterol we had to make changes to our daily EPI routine. We had to alter the fiber, type of fiber and the fat content her diet. She is now on an all home-made diet which she does best on and has even been able to reduce the insuline (Vetsulin:pork-based insulin) . Because of the diet change to all home-made i no longer worry about hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia- -she is much more even-keeled with a diet of sweet potato, a lean meat/fish, sometimes a free range egg, cottage cheese,  fish oil+vitamins and bone meal. We tried Novolin N a human synthetic RNA insulin.... but Izzy did not do well on it. aside from all of Izzy's health issues.... she continues to wake up every day full of joy and a great sense of humor!

I am not a vet.  All of my suggestions/recommendations are based on personal expereinces, observations, information gleaned from EPI research, and information shared with me by EPI researchers....that hopefully may help others. Please always share anything and everything recommended on this forum with your vet.

September 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Penny Watson

Hello everyone! I am so glad that my work on the web-site has helped so many of you already make sense of some confusing signs and blood results in your dogs. Certainly, if a dog has concurrent EPI and pancreatitis, the enzymes can go up during the flare-up of the pancreatitis, even though there is not much acinar tissue left. It is odd to get a discordant lipase and cPLI but this sometimes happens. Lipase can come from other organs apart from the pancreas (whereas cPLI cannot) so the most likely explanation in those cases is that the lipase is not from the pancreas. It will also go up non-specifically with steroid treatment or Cushings disease. However, it could also go up sometimes in dogs with pancreatitis even when the cPLI is normal and we don't understand why. 

I will keep reading the forum when I have time and post comments as and when I have time

October 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tracey, Sofie's mom

Dr. Watson, this is so helpful. We see many people struggle on here who can't get a straightforward diagnosis for their pups and this kind of information is just what they need. It is very generous of you to share your time with us, thank you:)

--

Tracey, Sofie's mom

Sofie, Shiloh shepherd, born March 2010; diagnosed April 2011. Currently eats 3 cups of TOTW Lamb per day plus a bit of cooked beef, pork, tripe or liver, etc. with 1 tsp. of 8x enzymes per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 pill per day, and 3/8 tsp Tylan 2x a day. Her lowest weight was 66 lbs, she is now a lovely 85 lbs.

Please note: I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is just from my experience as an EPI dog owner. Please share with your vet anything that is suggested to you on this forum.

October 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jill
Administrator

Dr Watson, Thank you so much for becoming a forum member.  This forum is wonderful and has so many good things associated with it, not only things but people!  And folks who are full of so much information.  Thank you and everyone else for the insight into these diseases.

--

Jill-  Washington State

Optimmune for Dry eyes

October 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Epi4Dogs
Site Owner

Oh my... THANK YOU so much Dr. Watson for posting and helping us out !!!! Tracey summed it up perfectly..."We see many people struggle on here who can't get a straightforward diagnosis for their pups and this kind of information is just what they need."

And i too want to thank you for taking the time to help us out..... we very, VERY much appreciate it!!!!!!!! 

--

October 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vicki

Hi

i have a 3yr old border collie who was diagnosed with EPI last year.  He had multiple tests pre-diagnosis (all normal) as his symptoms were quite vague and only had moderate weight loss.  He has had a couple of acute bouts of pancreatitis (post epi diagnosis) .  He has gained weight since starting on lypex caps and grain free diet and seems generally  improved however he has episodes where he is generally more subdued and gets grumpy (not like him at all) and responds to pain relief (gabapentin) then back to normal again.....does anyone else think this could be pancreatitis?? if so should i be doing anything else for him or running furter tests?? 

I am also in contact with all bar one of his litter mates, mother and none have had any similar issues and are actually very fit dogs - some compete at agility, flyball or used for sheep work.

December 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maddie ann

Hi Vicki

Its great to know that your dog is dong so well i used Lypex but i have an uninsured dog so after research with my vet  i changed to panzym...loads cheaper.( lypex dose should be 1 per 100 grams of food)

I cant comment on the bouts he gets but being grumpy etc can be a sign of low b12 and or sibo or acid.

Have you ever had his B12 tested???

Can you tell us which grain free food you use ???

If you think this may be a pancreatitis attack ask you vet to contact penny she is UK based.

--

ANN (UK).

Maddie DOB 01-10-2007 she is now  10  DX 04/11 .B12 140 now 644 TLI <1.00 Folate 14.2.

After 15 months on the B12 tablets with the intrisic factor she was retested and her b12 was 902 which gave me the confidence to continue without injections.

Weight was 22.3kg now 33.2kg (04-05-12) she is a small GSDbut she gained .(24lbs)

Feed a mixture of foods she does better on fibre 3% and below she has  b12 tablets daily (imported from the USAhttp://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881) now changing to the uk version from http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/

She has panzym altough over the years we have had to increase the dose she currently has 1/2 tsp per feed.

December 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb

Hi Vicki,

Have you had a b12 and folate test done? Dogs with low b12 can get grumpy and subdued. And sibo can be painful? Are his poops always a good size and colour?

Deb

--

Kody DOB 2nd Jan 2011. Diagnosed 11th Dec 2012. TLi less than 1. Dx weight 31.3kgs. Currently on 2x Creon 10 with every meal. Feeding 4 Big Dogfood premade Barf lamb patties and 500gms turkey mince meat divided between 4 meals. Started 6 week course B12 Injections 5th Jan 2013. 1 wonderlabs once a day. 1 Inner Health Plus a day.Started Tylan in case of "sneaky Sibo" 12th Feb 2013 as we were not seeing any weight gain although no true sibo signs.  10/4/2013  Started 1tbsp mash sweet potato before every meal for acid reflux - has made a big improvement to his burping. Oct 2013 Started 1tsp slippery elm per day & 1tsp coconut oil daily. Slowly increased to 5 tsps coconut oil a day. Also, on tylan for life.

21/12/2012 Test results at dx B12 257 (range 150-1020) and folate 15.9 (range 11-29). 

14/10/2013 Retested B12  1589 (range 150-1020) Folate 31 Cut wonderlabs to 1x day

27/11/2013 Weight 36kgs.

24/12/2013 Weight 37.3kgs. 3/2/2014 39.20 kgs 19/3/2014 41kgs

3/5/2014 42.85   21/6/2014 45kgs 21/7/2014 45.70  11/10/2014 48.60kgs

Please note: I am not a vet, anything I share or suggest on this site is just from my experience as an EPI dog owner. Please share with your vet anything that is suggested to you on this forum

December 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vicki

B12 and folate were tested when he was diagnosed with epi and were normal.  His poos are lovely :) always nice and formed since changing to grain free (taste of the wild)

nothing to see with him other than grumpy, subdued and responds to pain relief (gabapentin) :(

December 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.