Rx vs OTC

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jenia63

Rx vs OTC

Post by Jenia63 » 17 Jan 2021, 23:53

One of my 6 Shepherds has been diagnosed with epi. And I have a couple questions hoping to understand better.. I have ordered pan-tenex, Enzyme Diane and have RX pancre plus. Pantenex is the most expensive per ounce and its OTC product . On the RX ,label its L -71,400, Pro- 388,000& A -460,000... the Pantenex website showed an analysis result thats way higher numbers than rx label . So my questions are if rx is cheaper and/or the same price per ounce why do people buy OTC?(walmartpetrx.com rx ,12oz is $101) Are the rx & otc the same stuff ?? Next question is if the Pantenex is that high ratio of enzyme is it safe, or even consistent with these ratios? I've read to keep diary as it can take awhile to get the right combination of food and medicine, so I would think inconsistent ratios of enzyme could mess up a set regimen, is this correct thoughts? Last question is since I have 6 dogs feeding time is difficult, as you know dogs get jealous and Im HAND feeding my Harper (otw food would be devoured in 2 bites) separately but the pack want what she has it smells and tastes different than their exact same food difference is the enzyme which is why I bought the otc enzymes ,to put a small amount into my other girls foods. And if Harper does get a bite of their food it will have enzyme in it. ...2 of my girls are looking kind of thin but perfect poop. Do you think its safe to do this ? As ive read conflicting opinions. Thank you so much!

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Re: Rx vs OTC

Post by Kohlesmomma » 18 Jan 2021, 07:16

Hello there. Omg 6 shepherds!? aren't you lucky they are wonderful dogs.
I just wanted to pipe in here. In regards to the enzymes. When I first started with Kohle last year. I tried EVERY enzyme powder known before finally settling on enzyme diane. I get your concerns with the ratios- BUT- they are going to be a little different between batches because of the source. (I had the same questions) why don't you reach out to Diane and speak with her about the product, she is very helpful and approachable, I can tell you switching around enzymes is an experience in itself. I also would NOT give any amount of enzymes to your other dogs if they don't need it. Feed her separately in another area. I am sure others with more experience will pipe in here. My boy is doing well on Dianes enzymes, again I have tried them all. Regardless of what enzyme you use, you will need to also supplement b12 without question as well as the apparent SID the dog most probably has or will have. It's manageable and this forum is really the go to for it. Good luck This forum will help!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 18 Jan 2021, 07:58

Hi there, Erica, and a big welcome to you and Harper!

I agree with Kellie, as do many other forum members----Enzyme Diane is the way to go. You can order a sample bag & see how they work for Harper. I believe if I had some other brands, I would set them aside for emergency situations & just stick with Diane Enzymes, if they do the trick.

I sometimes worry that people think I work for Diane, I sing her praises so high. The fact is, I have had to contact her, and when I have, it's been HER, the actual Diane, with all of her experience & support, who has returned my emails.

The ratio is easy, too. I cup of food, per 1 teaspoon of enzymes. Mix with a little liquid, marinate 20 minutes & serve.

I have five dogs, EPI Tucker being the alpha, and because he used to try & steal the others' food after he gobbled his down, I had to develop a routine that continued through his diagnosis. AND because he attacked one who ventured too close to his meal, I have gotten very serious with him, and he knows better than to blow it again. Some of my dogs are smaller, but they are stubborn so this has taken some time to work.

Everyone is now fed in a separate room, and Tucker sits near the counter where his food is 'stewing' until Alexa signals it's ready. Is this a hassle? Oh, yeah, but it works for us, and Tucker revels in knowing he will be the only one with a meal left when the telltale sound starts ringing. Shepherds are smart, and they can get used to a new routine. You and everybody else will eventually be able to live with your new normal.

So, keep us posted, and feel free to write often, asking every single question you have. Some member on the forum will have been through a similar situation, and the staff is knowledgeable & generous with their time.

---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 18 Jan 2021, 08:38

I also meant to say, the bottom line of why most use Diane is Because 1: the product works 2: ease of use and 3: It seems to be the most cost effective, remember this is a life - long issue for the dog the pancreas won't ever heal to a normal dogs- so most people don't have an endless bank account when you consider vet bills, medication, feed, flea and heartworm meds..etc.. and in terms of ratios, when I realized every batch cannot possibly be the same as the previous is because it is from Porcine stock and no swine is the same as the other as likewise there are no 2 dogs absolutely alike either. so I also had the question as well how can Bio-case, pantenex, pancrplus etc...guarantee exact ratios? If they are using a porcine stock..-they can't - is my thought without something is being done chemically I would think. Just my 2 cents. Personally, I had to consider the above bottom line 3 concerns I stated.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 19 Jan 2021, 09:31

We've been using PanTenex for a while now without any issues. They cost a little more than Diane's enzymes but are cheaper than RX. Two jars (17.6 ounces)of PanTenex cost us $110.

We have used Viokase in the past and other RX enzymes. Viokase was $300 a bottle and another brand caused mouth sores for Nikki but she had great poops. Diane's enzymes did not work for us and Nikki hated the smell but we are in the minority, most dogs do well on Diane's enzymes.

It just depends what works for your dog.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

annettedorfman
State: New York
Pet name: Little Z
My name: Annette

Post by annettedorfman » 19 Feb 2021, 15:34

Hello,
Our dog had been ravenous and losing a significant amount of weight for months. Thinking it was EPI I gave him Pantenex.

He was recently cleared for EPI but blood tests and ultrasound revealed advanced liver cancer. He still is eating extremely well but continues to lose weight 😢

I have one and a half jars of Pantenex that I am happy to give to anyone who needs it. All I ask is that shipping be paid, unless you live in NYC in which case we could meet up.

Please email if you are interested annettedorfman@gmail.com

Thank you and may all the dogs on the forum and elsewhere be safe, happy and healthy 🙏🏻
Annette

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 19 Feb 2021, 16:13

The RX and the OTC are the exact same stuff. The ratios are going to vary a little, but they should be pretty close. The reason I use EnzymeDiane is because it is less expensive. 500 g (about 17.6 oz) is $88.