New EPI Diagnosis - Help!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
JRussell
State: Maryland
Pet name: Howie
My name: Jamie

Re: New EPI Diagnosis - Help!

Post by JRussell » 19 Jan 2022, 15:35

Thank you! I am going to make a food change to one of the recommended options and see if that helps. I did also want to ask, do most EPI dogs ever stop eating their poop? Howie definitely is still very much interested in eating his own poop, but I will say it only seems to be if he finds piles from prior to his diagnosis and receiving the enzymes. He does NOT seem to be interested in eating the piles that he has done while on the enzymes. I'm thinking it could have to do with the fact that the food was not digested properly before so that's why he wants to eat it? We try to keep our yard cleaned up to avoid this issue, but you know that they go so frequently before enzymes (and its not the best consistency to try to pick up lol) that its hard to go back and find it all especially in a huge yard!

Sorry for all the questions. I just am trying to figure out what is normal and what's not with a majority of EPI dogs! Thanks again!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 Jan 2022, 15:40

That is correct. Usually they will stop eating their poop once there is no undigested food in it . That being said there are always dogs who eat poop just cuz!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 19 Jan 2022, 15:55

Just a FYI...if you try the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream or High Prairie and they don't work, don't give up on the food change idea. A lot of dogs do ok on TOTW, but if your dog happens to be one of the ones who doesn't tolerate peas (like my dog, Clyde), it may not be the best food option. I still continue to recommend it because quite a few dogs do fine on it.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 19 Jan 2022, 19:38

Three years and 20 pounds later, Tucker still eats poop sometimes & it drives me crazy. It adds such a stress to my life. I try to pick up poop right away, because it's nicer that way, but when it's 30 degrees & dark out, I'd prefer to wait till morning.

It's a good thing he's so handsome and lovable.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.