what is the common kibble used

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
briski1971
State: Connecticut

what is the common kibble used

Post by briski1971 » 26 Mar 2019, 11:10

having difficulty keeping weight on my Shiloh with epi.....any help is appreciated

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Re: what is the common kibble used

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 26 Mar 2019, 11:59

Hello can you tell us a little bit more it may not be the food but something else that is missing?
For food we recommend below 4 % fibre we suggest grain free but do not restrict the fat and also you will need to feed 150% of the food ie with my gal i would have needed to use 6 cups of food per day with the appropriate enzymes
Enzymes which ones do you use and what ratio to food.
Also most of our dogs are in need of b12 are you supplementing this .
Finally was your dog dx via the TLI test.

Thanks.
Ann
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 26 Mar 2019, 13:53

welcome

if you can give us more information we can help

J
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 26 Mar 2019, 14:33

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I agree, if you give us a little more info about your routine we can be more helpful.
Food isn't one size fits all with EPI dogs unfortunately, each one is different and what works for my girl might not work for your pup.
If you have a good routine going (that includes enzymes on every meal and B12 supplement), and good poops-- weight gain might just come down to what food you are feeding......Also some are slow to regain and some gain back quickly.
Under the heading Managing EPI, there is a lot of information to help you choose a food, including a tab called Dog Food Options. This is a list of many foods that our members have had success with. But it is by no means every food that could work. It is just a good starting point. As Ann suggested, feed your pup 150% of his/her goal weight, not their current weight. This should be broken into 3-4 smaller meals throughout the day. No more than 2 cups at a time is best. Once they gain back to goal weight, gradually back down how much you are giving until it is the normal suggested amount for the food you are using.
Please do give us some info about how you prepare and what you are feeding, this could really help us try to figure out how to advise you...
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 26 Mar 2019, 16:11

Hello and welcome! Everyone has given you great suggestions....if you can answer as many questions as you can, we can better advise you. Managing the Food, Enzymes, B12, and antibiotics (if needed) is the goal. At the beginning, it may seem a bit overwhelming, but once you start to balance each one, things will improve. Keeping a log/journal really helps. Record everything you give your pup (food, enzymes, B12, antibiotics)....and the amounts.... and the resulting poos. Then you can see what works and what needs to be changed. It also is a good way to see what questions you have for the vet or for the Forum. The journal saved our sanity.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Barb

Sparkle Tangerine
Pet name: Montgomery

Post by Sparkle Tangerine » 27 Mar 2019, 07:06

It took a lot of trial and error with my little guy, and it took him a lot longer to gain it back than it did to lose it, so hang in there!
Montgomery was born 21 March 2012. He is a DSH orange tabby and white. Montgomery eats RCFHN Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Royal Canin Ultra Light wet food. He is a catnip junkie who loves paper bags and his stuffed mouse, Ignatz. His Pank-Aid is put into capsules each day as he gets mouth ulcers if it is mixed into his food. He gets two size zero capsules with each meal and eats six times each day. He gets .5ml Ovol twice a day for his gas. He is an enormous 3.08kg and strong enough to give his veterinarian a hard time. He is smart as a whip, has the loudest purr in the universe, and is so, so loved.