Liz's "stinky" Piper

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Liz's "stinky" Piper

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 31 May 2021, 18:19

Hi Liz,

Poor momma, right now your sense of smell is off the charts!

Tucker currently stinks to kingdom come, and this has coincided with a rumbling tummy & horrible gas. This means his SID is back. He is currently on another *45* (not 35!) day course of Tylan, due to those symptoms of SID I just mentioned, and I will let you know how things turn out. His SID seems to flare up about twice a year, even though I have him on a maintenance dose of Tylan and slippery elm daily. When it flares, we do another 45 day round. I am starting to see a connection between SID & STINK, at least I think I am.

I am not a dog (news flash!), but I have noticed my breath being better when I am on an antibiotic, which must be about bacteria. The problem with Amoxicillin or any other antibiotic vs Tylan, is the killing off of good bacteria, and the shape the gut is left in afterward. Tylan is different, and it does not kill off the good stuff. So, assuming the stink comes from inside of Piper's body, it makes sense that it subsided while she was on Amoxicillin. There are many drawbacks to taking it long term, though, so Tylan is a much better bet.

You can go to this page & make sure you are giving the correct dose for Piper's weight, and be sure you give that dose twice a day. At the end of 45 days, you will slowly wean her off the Tylan, and you can get those directions here on the forum. https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/ I have found, as have some others, that giving a small amount of Tylan daily from there on, is helpful.

You may want to consider adding Proviable, which can help gut flora grow(a good idea, after her necessary round of Amox) & may then help with Piper's smell, too. If you do, start with 1/4 capsule each day & build up to the whole thing over several days. Otherwise, Piper may get the squirts.

I hope this helps. I'm sure there are other things you'd rather be dealing with right now, but getting the smell under control will make everything a little bit better!

Keep us posted, including when the baby comes!

----Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 31 May 2021, 21:47

Yep being pregnant does not help the matter as your sense of smell is probably better than the best drug sniffing K-9 LOL. Researchers believe the smell is basically from putrification in the gut of the rotting food - ie SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) which means there is something within the four cornerstones of EPI that might need to be tweaked. How are the poops? Any farting, tummy gurgling or burping? You mentioned having used Tylan but you also mentioned 35 days - we recommend it for 45 days and then slowly wean off and as Pam said some of us have our dogs on a small maintenance dose for life. Another thing to consider is B12 - have you had the B12 tested to see where it's at? Are you supplementing the B12? You might need to adjust the enzymes and lastly it usually comes down to the food - unfortunatley!

So, if I were you, if you haven't done a full 45 days of Tylan I would start with that and SLOWLY wean off over a few weeks if the poops are perfect but you still have the smell then I would look at the B12 - if your supplementing and the the level is right (600+) then I would consider a food change even reducing the fiber a 1/2% can sometimes make a huge difference.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 May 2021, 22:34

Hi Liz, welcome. It helps if you can keep a daily journal so you can see what worked or what didn't.

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.