New here - meet Johnny!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: New here - meet Johnny!

Post by Barb » 03 Dec 2021, 09:40

So glad to hear how well Johnny is doing! I love looking at your pictures again. He is a stunner. Glad you got through the rough patch.

Barb

Johnnycake
State: Texas
Pet name: Johnny
My name: MacKenzie

Post by Johnnycake » 07 May 2022, 08:27

Hi guys! I had a quick question and also wanted to pop in to give a brief update!

My question was this: nowadays Johnny only needs a very small amount of enzymes - he eats about 4 cups per meal and only needs a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for all 4 cups. This has been across a few different batches of EnzymeDiane. He still needs enzymed meals spaced about 8-10 hours apart from one another or he has issues, and he still needs a higher than average dose of B12 along with his other supplements - tried switching to oral but he really just seems to need the injections for whatever reason. I guess I was curious if reducing the enzymes this much is typical? And what might cause it?

He’s been solid even through a round of oral antibiotics for some hot spots (poor guy… those suck but at least we figured out what was causing them) so I figure what we are doing is still working!

Otherwise he’s been great! Still learning (and teaching himself - he’s too smart for me, I can’t keep up lol) new behaviors all the time! Since last time I posted I think he’s learned to pick up dropped items for me, turn the lights on and off, guide me to the car in the parking lot, collect dirty laundry and place it in a bin, and he also reminds me throughout the day to take my meds and do other important things, like when it’s time for bed. He’ll literally pin my arms to the bed with his neck and face until I stop my anxious phone scrolling and go to sleep instead 😂

Never let anyone say an EPI dog can’t do it!!! Thank you guys again for your help as always <3
73DF848F-ACCA-42C3-ADF9-023212AD6ED6.jpeg
73DF848F-ACCA-42C3-ADF9-023212AD6ED6.jpeg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 1065 times
CF06F76D-6AE2-4480-94D5-381CD4361D84.jpeg
CF06F76D-6AE2-4480-94D5-381CD4361D84.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1065 times
CC9C8F3F-1324-4C7C-845B-91F070FF7266.jpeg
CC9C8F3F-1324-4C7C-845B-91F070FF7266.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1065 times

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 May 2022, 00:22

great news on Johnny!!!!

And to answer your question.... YES!!!! some EPI dogs, once they are stable are able to be managed on a much lesser dose of enzymes. This happened to me with my Izzy too... It was wonderful.... for 4 years she was well managed on the lesser dose of enzymes... however... then as she aged (it was in her 5th year of dealing with EPI) all of a sudden she started have flare ups with SID.... and i changed absolutely nothing . Well turns out that as some (not all) EPI dogs age, then sometimes need a pinch more of enzymes, my guess is because as one ages the body just doesn't work as well as it used to... once i increased her enzymes a bit she was fine again.

SO.... yes,,, you and Johnny are one of the lucky ones. getting by on a lesser amount of enzymes!

Regarding the B12....rule of thumb... stick with what works for Johnny :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Johnnycake

Post by Johnnycake » 27 Aug 2022, 11:36

Hi everyone!!! I had a question regarding ear infections/allergies/sensitivities!

For about a month and a half now Johnny has been dealing with a pretty nasty ear infection - it’s a lot better now but still bothers him on and off periodically. We did two courses of antibiotics and his vet has recommended just treating it with Benadryl as needed for now - she thinks it might be flaring up because of allergies or some kind of sensitivity. Ideally we would be using an ear cleaner, but he initially had to go to the emergency vet because it was so painful (he kept waking up from sedation just when they would touch it) and we couldn’t wait for an appointment at our regular vet until later on. He was pretty traumatized by that experience - I’ve gotten him back to where I can lift his ear and look inside, but putting anything in there is still a no go for now though I will keep working on it. He has never, ever growled at me until I tried to put the cleaner in so I know it’s a serious issue for him and I don’t want to push it if I don’t have to until he is ready.

I guess my question was if anyone else has dealt with similar issues, and what you would recommend trying? I was going to switch him to a new kibble (almost out of his current bag) and see if he does better on that - maybe he has become sensitive to chicken over time? He switches kibbles without any change to poop usually so I will try something new but just change one thing at a time.

His skin and coat are still good though he has gotten a couple of hot spots but those resolved three or four months ago.

Otherwise he is doing great! He’s gained a few more pounds (I think he is still growing a bit as he won’t have hit two years old until this December) and he has been very stable, he can eat treats throughout the day and his poop is great 90% of the time now.

He still continues to learn new things as a service dog - he wakes me up from nightmares (he taught himself that one!) and nags me if I go too long without eating myself or forget to take my meds. I’m so grateful for all the help you guys have given us <3
Attachments
948D7B1A-814C-44B1-948B-D28A44D9573B.jpeg
948D7B1A-814C-44B1-948B-D28A44D9573B.jpeg (433.04 KiB) Viewed 939 times
F38BEFE4-5F72-42E4-ABFA-073762DCE0EC.jpeg
F38BEFE4-5F72-42E4-ABFA-073762DCE0EC.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 939 times
65D00409-CBB9-4324-9924-ACA265995B9D.jpeg
65D00409-CBB9-4324-9924-ACA265995B9D.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 939 times
50CA239B-9FA4-4CF2-ADC9-28B1CB7D14E7.jpeg
50CA239B-9FA4-4CF2-ADC9-28B1CB7D14E7.jpeg (306.9 KiB) Viewed 939 times
354F8A4B-0E76-4CD2-8D38-3C1494551132.jpeg
354F8A4B-0E76-4CD2-8D38-3C1494551132.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 939 times

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Aug 2022, 18:46

Hi MacKenzie,

WOW!!!! Johnny is looking FABULOUS!!
If he has had a few hot spots and gunky ears that go on to get infected... i think you are on the right path.... it might be the food. So i agree with you... might want to do a few trials ....

Sometimes gunky ears that then get rea infected happen from food with too many carbs in them... while at other times it is a sensitivity to a protein or some other ingredient...

Has your vet tried different antibiotics.... to clear up the infection???? I found when i had to deal with this... when the ear is infected... some dogs you just can't get near their ear to clean/take care of..... but once the infection (via antibiotics) start to subside.. a lot.... THEN they will let you finally touch their ears.

When this happened i always made sure to "warm" the medicine before i put anything in the ear.... i would show them the cotton ball and put a word(s) to it " "clean ear" and reward, reward, reward right after just touching the ear, repeat, repeat, and then putting the med in the ear .. again reward ...

However...once the ear is fixed.... what you might want to do is mix a little warm water with apple cider vinegar 1;1 mixture ... and just clean the ears with this once a day. the Apple cider doesn't change the ear pH.. where as a lot of commercial OTC cleaners do change the pH which is not good..........

Other than this i have no other experience... hope this is somewhat helpful
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Johnnycake

Post by Johnnycake » 29 Aug 2022, 17:32

Thank you so much Olesia!!!

We did try two courses of oral antibiotics but she didn’t want to do any more than that due to his EPI. He also got one of the ones you put in the ear that is supposed to last for a month, but it seems like it became ineffective very quickly for him.

I was able to get some Zymox inside there pretty good today with a cotton pad. I think the squirt bottle is what was freaking him out, I think they probably used it in the back when he was at the vet and so he’s associating that with that experience. With the cotton pad he sat still no problem and even seemed to enjoy having me rub it in his ear!

I hope the Zymox will help, I have read good things about it and picked some up since it is supposed to work without needing to flush the ears beforehand. Also got his new food in today - I will attach the link in case anyone has any input/experience! He gets multivitamins and a couple other supplements daily so I think his diet should be well balanced, but we will see if the change in protein and lack of grains/peas helps with his itchy skin and ears.

Thank you again very very much! He has an appointment next month for his annual vaccines so unless something changes drastically and we need to go in sooner I should be able to also talk this all over in depth with his vet (and hopefully be able to tell her his ears are doing better!)

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... lsrc=aw.ds

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Aug 2022, 19:28

hopefully this new food will be better for him... and i hope the Zymox helps..... Zymox is an excellent product... BUT.. if, when you do get the ears clean... going forward try to maintenance clean his ears weekly......

Fingers and paws crossed!

Johnnycake

Post by Johnnycake » 12 Sep 2022, 12:08

His ear seems to have cleared up for the most part!

I have been wiping it out every day to keep the debris from building up - for some reason it is only the left ear that ever has any. I was able to get the Zymox into the ear canal a few times and that seems to have cleared it up, I am trying to clean them out at least once a week but he’s still not super comfortable with it. We’ll keep working on it though!

I think the salmon-based food has definitely helped - he’s not itching his skin anywhere near as much. I also added in an immune supplement and have been giving him a small amount of turmeric once a day. The turmeric makes a noticeable difference in his poop if he does or doesn’t have it that day so I will probably keep him with that for awhile! I believe it is supposed to be good for the immune system too!

I’ll talk to his vet about all this when we go in next week but so far it is definitely improvement and seems to be working!

Thank you guys so so much for your continued help and advice!
537A87A9-5146-4E01-86D2-79B6E5BCBBB1.jpeg
537A87A9-5146-4E01-86D2-79B6E5BCBBB1.jpeg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 869 times
1A4B2B7A-0653-4E85-ACCC-5CF3575350C0.jpeg
1A4B2B7A-0653-4E85-ACCC-5CF3575350C0.jpeg (4.07 MiB) Viewed 869 times

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Sep 2022, 12:22

Gosh he is such a stunner!!! Looking so good and thrilled to hear that his ears have cleared up... Zymox has great products.

Glad to know that the tumeric is also helping... with the stools... it works as an inflammatory.....

Keep up the great work with him... Love hearing that he is doing so well :)

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Sep 2022, 12:40

Great pictures of Johnny!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.