New here - meet Johnny!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: New here - meet Johnny!

Post by Barb » 28 Jan 2021, 18:37

Reading this thread, I just remembered how I struggled with stirring the enzymes into the water for Kolby. I finally discovered the small (I think they are snack size) Rubbermaid containers with screw on lids. If you measure the enzyme powder into the container, then add the water, screw on the lid, and shake the closed container, the enzymes and water mix perfectly. And if you ever have to have someone else feed your pup, you can have the enzyme powder pre-measured into the containers and instruct them to add the water and shake.. It's funny how such a little thing can make life easier.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 31 Jan 2021, 11:58

Thanks for sharing that Barb - brilliant suggestion to help those who are sensitive to the powder.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Johnnycake
State: Texas
Pet name: Johnny
My name: MacKenzie

Post by Johnnycake » 02 Feb 2021, 19:59

Thank you guys for the tips! I increased the incubation time and decreased the temperature of the water and poops are back to normal! Hooray!

In other news, Johnny was 33 pounds 3 months ago - as of today, he’s hit 60!

His vet said his weight is ideal for him now - so I’m guessing now is when I should back down on how much I’m feeding him? (Vet said to just feed him what was on the bag during our first visit, I’ve been feeding him 150%). He’s not acting starving all the time anymore either.

Thank you guys so much for helping us get to this point!
82D4CB0E-CA27-4E47-9F2B-306CE4B99E5E.jpeg
82D4CB0E-CA27-4E47-9F2B-306CE4B99E5E.jpeg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 3214 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Feb 2021, 20:07

What a great update. Johnny is adorable!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff

Post by Madelon » 06 Feb 2021, 20:21

CONGRATULATIONS!!! OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE that picture!! As far as food - start to decrease slowly - maybe by 1/4 cup - whether they are EPI or not - every dog is different and the amount of food they need differs - what's on the bag is "guide" - my boy needed a tad more until I switched to a more high calorie food - but even on that he requires more. So decrease slowly and watch the poop and weight - if the weight starts to drop then you know your pup requires a bit more.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 06 Feb 2021, 20:38

What a great weight gain! That is wonderful news. And what a fabulous face. He is one happy pup.

Barb

Johnnycake
State: Texas
Pet name: Johnny
My name: MacKenzie

Post by Johnnycake » 09 Mar 2021, 13:19

Hello everyone, it's been a bit!

Johnny is still doing well - we've had a few minor setbacks but at the very least, his weight's been stable and he's continued to grow the way a puppy his age should be!

I did have a question for you guys- Johnny does super well with the Wonderlabs B12 we were recommended, but I recently decreased the amount (he was getting 4 capsules daily sprinkled on food) to 2 capsules, and within a couple of weeks, started to see signs of low B12 again (mostly acting hungry all the time and resource guarding of food). I increased it back to the 4 capsules and saw results almost immediately. Would you recommend staying with the 4 capsules? I could also try 3. It seems like a lot compared to what I've seen other people use but I wasn't sure.

Thank you!!!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Mar 2021, 14:13

WOW!!!!... i am just now catching up on JOhnny's progress.... he has done AMAZING- -looks great! .... which is a wonderful testament to what great care you are giving JOhnny!

And YES!!! if the total of 4 B12 caps daily are working for him and you noticed a decline when you reduced them.... then yes, go back to giving him 4 B12s daily. ... and after a month or so.... then try reducing to 3 caps daily... see if that works... but if you notice a decline again.... then go back up to 4 daily.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff

Post by Madelon » 09 Mar 2021, 20:18

Ditto what Olesia said and just to add my own personal story with B12 - I was giving Doc two pills a day for years and when I tried to reduce it I noted a problem with the poop immediately - so I went back to 2 pills a day and he was great again. Fast forward two years and I've decided to try and reduce the B12 again - I went from 2 pills a day to 1 pill a day and so far after a week his poops have remained good - weight still good - SOOOOO all this to say sometimes you just have to try things again after some time like Olesia suggested.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 09 Mar 2021, 20:43

Johnny looks fantastic! You have done such a great job with him. Congrats again.

Barb