Food suggestions not the list

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Food suggestions not the list

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Jan 2021, 09:21

Jen, I like the FB page, and I'm glad you mentioned it. You are right, it is a different feel, and Madelon, you are right, this forum is way more in depth and factual. I find myself on the other page (just joined last week), offering suggestions I have learned here, and even suggesting people just check out 4Dogs because I get tired of typing. I also don't want to get something wrong over there, with all the correct and current data & suggestions that are available by simply clicking onto this amazing forum. It's a smorgasbord of information out there, and it is great to help & to be helped.----Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

dana7123
State: Colorado

Post by dana7123 » 16 Jan 2021, 12:23

Hi
I'm not sure if your food is the one that was on this recall list, but the dog food advisor is a great site to be a part of to keep you updated on recalls.

My Belle has EPI and at first I had her on Hills Prescription. I have since put her on Taste of the Wild Duck and she is doing very well on it. I know that several people have told me that the kibble with fish is good as well, but it is a trial and error kind of thing. If you do change her food remember to do it very slowly. And watch that poo...I think we are all dog poo experts now because of our EPI fur babies :-).

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... l-expands/
My Belle is a rescue. She was 3 mo when I adopted her and at 7 mo we discovered the EPI. Her TLI results were "0.4". We went to 3 Vets before we found the 4th vet who knew exactly what was wrong. What a relief! He put her on B12 and enzymes right away! I was so glad to find enzymediane! Belle gets 2 1/2 cups of food with 1 tsp of 8x enzymes twice a day. She is now (at 116 lbs) but now has SIDS. Started putting Slippery Elm in her breakfast (she would regurgitate breakfast & orange/yellow in poo) & she is doing great now!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jan 2021, 22:57

it is hard finding the right food.... we all offer some basic guidelines to start with... but even then.... it doesn't apply to every dog....
so..... another tidbit..... when trying to find the right food, initially buy the smallest quantity possible until you find a food that agrees with your pup!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 17 Jan 2021, 21:06

Montgomery eats Royal Canin Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and has for the past four years or so. He can stomach Hill's w/d, but does better on the Royal Canin.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jan 2021, 22:44

it's just crazy how some of these EPI pets do great on a certain food and yet another EPI pet will not do well at all on the same food...................i guess it depends a lot on the individual gut flora of each animal
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........