New and going to the vet on Wed

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Re: New and going to the vet on Wed

Post by Jane&Clyde » 09 Mar 2021, 17:17

Thank you so much, Olesia! Especially for the idea about liver shunting or possible liver concerns. Clyde still drinks and pees more than he should, although less than he did initially. I know this can be a liver symptom. His glucose level has been checked more than once, so diabetes is unlikely to be the cause. Also, I dug up some lab results from when I first got him, and his ALT was mildly elevated (210 ref range 18-121). So, it looks like something liver related could possibly be the problem, although Clyde had been through a lot at that time, including treatment for parasites and antibiotics for kennel cough. Clyde got a rather thorough workup a couple of weeks ago. They must have done a chem panel. I assume that I will be talking to the vet tomorrow, so I will ask about the results when I talk to him.

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 09 Mar 2021, 17:19

Oops, I forgot to add that he has no other symptoms other than excessive urination.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Mar 2021, 19:49

Jane I'm so sorry to hear Clyde had a seizure. Those can definitely be scary - I hope you figure out the cause quickly and that it's something treatable. Sending hugs and healing prayers.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 09 Mar 2021, 20:31

Hi Jane,

I am sorry you do not have answers yet for what Clyde is going through. Olesia's suggestion about the liver is certainly a consideration.

We dealt with seizures in one of our German Shepherds, Kip, many years ago. He had his first one when he was about 5. And you are right, they don't usually do anything if there is one isolated episode. But he had another one a few weeks later, so we put him on medication. The vet cautioned us that sometimes dogs are not well controlled with meds and we might have to keep increasing them. I am happy to say that in Kip's case, this did not happen. He was on that same dose until he passed at the ripe age of "almost 13," totally unrelated to seizures.

A bit of irony. I always said that I did not think I could cope with seizures if any of my children would develop them. So, naturally, the Universe gave me seizures.....both my son and my dog took them. But we found good medications that worked for them. Sometimes that is a challenge, but especially in my son's case, it was absolutely worth the effort to find a neurologist who was willing to find the right meds.

Let us know how Clyde is doing and what you find out from the vet ...and give him some big hugs from me.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Mar 2021, 11:31

JAne,

Please keep us posted on Clyde and what the vet says... Paws and fingers crossed that Clyde will be okay!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 11 Mar 2021, 14:36

As expected, the vet wasn't overly concerned by a single seizure. For now, I will just be monitoring him and hoping that he doesn't have any more. Unfortunately, a chem panel wasn't done last month, so I don't have any new liver enzymes levels to compare to those we got in November. If he has any more seizures, he will be evaluated more thoroughly and I will be sure to ask that his liver be tested.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Mar 2021, 16:25

well.... then what we need to hope for is that this never happens again......Crossing paws & fingers!!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 12 Mar 2021, 14:53

Fingers, toes and paws crossed here for him!!

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Mar 2021, 11:35

Paws and fingers crossed there are no more seizures. Sending hugs to both :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 04 Jun 2021, 14:43

I'm at my wit's end and just need to vent. Clyde's EPI has been well managed over the past few months. He's almost at the weight he should be and is happy and energetic. The problem is that now that Clyde is feeling better, he and my other dog, Dexter, fight. The fights are mostly territorial, vying for the best spot at the door when there's a delivery, when the garbage man is out front, when they see a rabbit in the back yard, etc. I keep Clyde on a leash in my back yard so that when the neighbor's dog comes outside they don't fight at the fence. I've ordered a "do not ring doorbell or knock" sign for the front door which may cut things down a little, but there is still no avoiding many of the other situations. Blood has been shed even when I am within several feet when they begin. Luckily, there haven't been any serious injuries to either of the dogs or to me so far, but I'm not sure how long my luck will hold. I've never had dogs who fight before. And I don't have a bunch of money to pay for a dog trainer. I don't want to get rid of either dog, but I'm getting to the point that I am nervous when I use the restroom because I am afraid that something will trigger a fight while I am in there. Don't get me wrong, they don't fight all the time. We can go for days without a problem. Oh, and playing can escalate to a fight, too, so that has to be supervised.